Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:06   #661
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph Bonneville Discussion Thread: My "Black Bruiser" is SOLD :( !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Now this is interesting. Please share more information about this power boosting ECU maps and I will share this info with him and iam sure his indulgent father will not say no irrespective of it's cost

P.S: Such power boosting maps are available for normal Bonnie as well?
I had poste about this before, but no hassle here its again

http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/triu...-efi-tunes.php

Please note that I have had no interactions with these guys, but posting this for general info. There are many more sites offering this including the British Customs etc.

In this site itself there are at least 10 + Tunes available for Bonneville/T100s.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 12:17   #662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/triu...-efi-tunes.php

In this site itself there are at least 10 + Tunes available for Bonneville/T100s.
Thanks Ram. I just gave a cursory glance at the website and seems comprehensive and will take a closer look at it later.

Has any of your friends/riders in your group ever installed these maps? Any feedbacks from them? Also, these power maps increase the BHP and Torque figures to what extent?

Downside being,Triumph warranty becoming void upon installation of these maps. However, Bonnie's being so well engineered I dont think we need to be really concered about it. Or, should we be?
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:58   #663
BHPian

Quote:
These pipes cost about 22K which is a simple end-can slip-ons and doesn't improve performance in any way but, is only for audio note which is also quite subtle and as per the feedback of one T100 owner reduces considerably over a short period of time and he is not happy with them anymore.
My guess is that Mani has been using his bike for short rides too . Aint a bad habit, ONLY if he's allowing his bike to warm up before riding away.

His pre-cats and/or cats could be clogged because they're not been operating at their optimum temperature. This in-turn has got the mesh in the free flow probably all clogged too, which indirectly, will make the flow smoother.

There are a few symptoms of these, but i didn't notice anything glaring on our last ride together . He seemed to have decent power , but maybe he's not used the higher rpm limits to notice the drop in performance too.

Other than the clogging caused by unburnt fuel , i cant think of any other reason for muting of a free flow at such an early stage . This is just a wild guess though.

Slashing of baffles at dealer is also a bad idea. There are specific tools required for it and surely the dealer is not going to invest for the sake of one customer's needs ( especially a mod which compromises company warranty too). Its going to end up as a hack job!
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 09:54   #664
BHPian

Hi Folks, this is my first post in this forum and i am also currently in a confused state of mind regarding purchase decision so please bear with me. I have been dreaming of buying a motorcycle for a bit now and had zero'd in on the Triumph Bonneville T100 , however when I started doing a bit of reading (both on this forum & on the net) , a came across a lot of riders saying that the SE had better riding characteristics as compared to the T100. The other thing that has been a niggling itch in my mind is that the T100 tyres are tubed while the SE runs on tubeless (which to a relative layman like me seems to be a better bet) , so now with all the confusion and committee in my head going full blast , am now veering towards a Bonneville SE.
The present status in life is that I have gone to Motor Vehicles to get Motorcycle added to my license , yup , thats me , never did get a mobike license, in my younger days we used to ride along on an unending series of learners I guess , not good but that is my life! Once that happens, should be done by end of month , will take the bikes (hopefully both) for a test drive and decide which one to plonk down on , but would be keen to hear your views on the same as it will help me make my decision.

Waiting to hear from all
Old 4th September 2014, 10:25   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatto63 View Post
The present status in life is that I have gone to Motor Vehicles to get Motorcycle added to my license , yup , thats me , never did get a mobike license, in my younger days we used to ride along on an unending series of learners I guess , not good but that is my life!
No intention of discouraging you but if this is the first bike you'll be riding, then get a smaller bike. It'll be easy to learn the ropes and won't be as dangerous as riding a powerful bike as well.
Old 4th September 2014, 10:30   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
My guess is that Mani has been using his bike for short rides too . Aint a bad habit, ONLY if he's allowing his bike to warm up before riding away.
Is it really going to affect bike? I am using my bonne for all types of ride, buying vegetable (2 KM), going everyday office (12 KM) etc. I do start my bonne with the chok as mentioned in the manual and keep it idle for half minute before running.
Old 4th September 2014, 10:34   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Me and Mani go for short rides (60kms-100kms) all the time. He drops in to my home within a few minutes and is available to ride at short notice and as per my schedule which really helps

Quote:
There are a few symptoms of these, but i didn't notice anything glaring on our last ride together . He seemed to have decent power , but maybe he's not used the higher rpm limits to notice the drop in performance too.
Not sure if you noticed Arun. After installing the HFS, he unneccesarily revvs the bike ( perhaps to enjoy the sound which according to him is almost non-existent now and I can vouch on that. Other day, he was riding my Arrowed Bonnie as I wanted to hear how it sounds from rear and when I rode his T100, indeed no sound seeped into helmet and was almost like stock)

Quote:
Slashing of baffles at dealer is also a bad idea. There are specific tools required for it and surely the dealer is not going to invest for the sake of one customer's needs ( especially a mod which compromises company warranty too). Its going to end up as a hack job!
Spot on. Mani did mention that dealer folks were having a tough time breaking in the baffles. I too was thinking it might turn out to be a hack job. But, then he's well-heeled and his dad might buy him a new T100 if something goes wrong with current one..

Quote:
I have been dreaming of buying a motorcycle for a bit now and had zero'd in on the Triumph Bonneville T100 , however when I started doing a bit of reading (both on this forum & on the net) , a came across a lot of riders saying that the SE had better riding characteristics as compared to the T100. The other thing that has been a niggling itch in my mind is that the T100 tyres are tubed while the SE runs on tubeless (which to a relative layman like me seems to be a better bet) , so now with all the confusion and committee in my head going full blast , am now veering towards a Bonneville SE.
The present status in life is that I have gone to Motor Vehicles to get Motorcycle added to my license , yup , thats me , never did get a mobike license, in my younger days we used to ride along on an unending series of learners I guess , not good but that is my life! Once that happens, should be done by end of month , will take the bikes (hopefully both) for a test drive and decide which one to plonk down on , but would be keen to hear your views on the same as it will help me make my decision.
Firstly, welcome sir to the forum and glad to know of your interest in T100. I have personally rode the T100 plenty of times and have jotted down my opinion about its handling characteristics in this post below.

Please click this link and read it

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3375686

Having said that, If you ride Bonnie T100 without riding the Bonnie SE, it will leave you thoroughly impressed in every department including the handling characteristics. But, if your a stickler like me and have a penchant for riding fast (which I assume you dont and prefer cruising, please correct me if iam wrong) then Bonnie SE would be the correct choice

So do test ride the bike soon and I would recommend you to start with a T100 and then ride a Bonnie SE, preferably back-to-back

Goodluck and if you have any specific queries, happy to help !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th September 2014 at 10:47.
Old 4th September 2014, 10:38   #668
BHPian

The choke and half min idle helps in oil circulation getting up to temperature. My main concern is with the head being air cooled, there is not enough air flow in normal city use under stop go conditions. If it's like a ring road or something, it's perfectly fine.

These riding conditions, along with the secondary air injection and the O2 sensor taking part under mild part throttle, doesn't allow for a " rich fuel" condition. I've personally done 18kms many times between home and office in peak hour traffic and realised I'm killing the longevity of the block. I won't realise now, bit maybe after 10 or 15000kms.
Old 4th September 2014, 10:59   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
No intention of discouraging you but if this is the first bike you'll be riding, then get a smaller bike. It'll be easy to learn the ropes and won't be as dangerous as riding a powerful bike as well.
I dont agree with you

Assuming he knows the basics of motorcycle riding, Bonnie can certainly be the first bike for him or for that matter anybody. It can be as docile as it can be lethal (when the throttles open)

We have an example right here (Absynthguzzler). He rode 2 wheels just for a few hundred hours in his entire lifetime before buying the Bonnie SE and now he rides it like a champ

Quote:
I've personally done 18kms many times between home and office in peak hour traffic and realised I'm killing the longevity of the block. I won't realise now, bit maybe after 10 or 15000kms.
What exactly might be the problem with regards to engine longetivity if Bonnie users use it for very short stop-gap city riding? Is there any documented evidence of engine life reducing if a rider uses for such purposes?

Ram, your thoughts will also help !!!
Old 4th September 2014, 11:04   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

have ridden bikes , just did not get around to getting license done, guess these things did not look important in those days , there was a feeling when young that nothing mattered as nothing could go wrong . Now many moons later , age and experience have tempered one and I guess I want to play by the rules now. Thanks a ton for the reply though, with all of you'll helping will figure out soon , will it be the T100 or the SE. And yes as Mobike 008 said , I will cruise , speed is for younger folks , tho' I plan to do a few long trips in times to come.
chatto63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 11:50   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
will it be the T100 or the SE. And yes as Mobike 008 said , I will cruise , speed is for younger folks , tho' I plan to do a few long trips in times to come.
Oh! then you will really enjoy the T100

It's a grand looking bike and appears to have better built quality than Bonnie SE ( atleast visually) and iam sure you will stand out in a crowd ( if that is also one of your parameter)

Btw, you needn't be too worried about the tubed vs. tubeless issue as T100 in our group has crossed 8,000kms and not a single puncture

Triumph thankfully has provided us with best of the rubber (Metzelers) and they really hold up well.
Old 4th September 2014, 12:04   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont agree with you

Assuming he knows the basics of motorcycle riding, Bonnie can certainly be the first bike for him or for that matter anybody. It can be as docile as it can be lethal (when the throttles open)

We have an example right here (Absynthguzzler). He rode 2 wheels just for a few hundred hours in his entire lifetime before buying the Bonnie SE and now he rides it like a champ
Sorry to be

If I were you I would be cautious of putting Absynthguzzler as an example of a relative biking novice.

I believe that there are some people who are "born petrolheads" or " born gas/grease monkies". From what I know of his (Absynth) exploits he is definitely one of them and that is the reason why he is ridding a champ . For such people 4 wheels and 2 wheels become a natural extension of their body and being with in a very short time (say 5 minutes or from the minute they are behind the wheels or on the bike seat).

You really can't generalise and personally, I tend to agree with Adithya's comments.

But if a person is mature enough and has basic biking experience, he should be OK with a 900 cc machine. Its the hotheads which causes the problem (I am sure you would've heard about the various 'widow amkers" including our owm "Yamdoot"

Better cautios than be sorry or "Safely but with speed"

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 4th September 2014 at 12:08.
Old 4th September 2014, 12:31   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
You really can't generalise and personally, I tend to agree with Adithya's comments.

But if a person is mature enough and has basic biking experience,
Opinions sometimes differ. I don't expect everyone to agree with me and similarly I dont agree when Iam sure about my opinion.

I'd like to stick to my opinion here about Bonnie can be ridden by folks with basic motorcycling experience and matured head on shoulders

Chatto63 has clarified he has sufficient experience at riding a bike and iam sure he is matured enough to know after a test ride whether he is capable of handling a 900cc bike ( cubic capacity number sounds intimidating but, in reality when you ride a Bonnie, it's not)
Old 4th September 2014, 13:18   #674
BHPian

Quote:
What exactly might be the problem with regards to engine longetivity if Bonnie users use it for very short stop-gap city riding? Is there any documented evidence of engine life reducing if a rider uses for such purposes?

The o2 and air injection in a bonnie is designed purely for emission norms to be passed on an old block. It has not been designed from the ground up ( and hence, its a fixed map after certain throttle positions.

Documented evidence ? they are my thighs and calf working as a temp gauge and knowing whats normal and what's not.

If further evidence is required, just google the effect of ideal AFR vs life of an engine.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 15:37   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
The o2 and air injection in a bonnie is designed purely for emission norms to be passed on an old block. It has not been designed from the ground up ( and hence, its a fixed map after certain throttle positions.
The experts view on this (I am a user not an expert) is that inclusion of the o2 sensor and air injuction will not and should not affect the longivity of the block.

As per them at a given Throttle position the geat generated in the engine is same and the design elements in the engine (the oil pump & cooler the engine fins etc are more than capable of taking away the heat). However, at lower speeds, we feel our thighs being cooked as one of the elements needed to take away the haet on aircooled machine - air is missing or available in low volumes. At the same Throttle Possition and on a higher gear (as in 5th opposed to 3rd) the bike is essentially at a higher speed and more air being availble you thighs are now comfortable.

The engine I believe has a heat sensor in it, which will cut the RPM automatically once the oil temp raech over 300 deg cent (so I am told) and hence has an inbuilt protection available as well.

The o2 & Air Injustor has been provided as rightly pointed out by Absynth for the emission issues only. You can blank them out and run your Bonney happily as some of my friends here do - to keep things simple

Hope you are more confused now

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks