Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 28th August 2009, 11:32   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Now, this one is too much of an invitation to let pass!
How about a mother's love? Or the music of a songbird? Or sunrise in the mountains/sunset over the sea ? Need I go on?!
I replace "Every good thing worth having" with "Every object of desire worth acquiring". Your move!

Quote:
Can't resist bugging you, you are leading with your chin Between the Hells angels that were, and the profile specified above that is - where does Marlboro Man fit in?!
The Marlboro man died of lung cancer and his son sued the cigarette company. He bought a Fatboy with the money and is the accountant I mentioned earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I will buy it for the way it looks and the way it sounds. The bike remains unmatched on these two fronts. I have seen and ridden many a Japanese Harley clone and they just don't have it, that character. No matter how hard they try they are simply unable to clone what makes a Harley so endearing to many
Amen to that DKG Sir. You have hit the nail on the head with a sledge hammer!

Cheers,
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:33   #197
BHPian

For me the HD and the Bull are diverse products with their own userbase. cant compare a 80K to 1.2L bike with a 4L and above bike

I own a Mach 500 and love the bullet, but i wish RE would be listening to its users and owners.

Sadly the build quality and finish is yet to be realised after 50 years of constant production. The availability of spares in cities like Mumbai is absolutely ridiculous, i had to fetch my primary cover from Pune and now i need a Brake Pedal and the Exhaust Bend Pipe and it seems both of them are not available in Mumbai.

The Menstruation cycle aka oil leaks on new bullets still continue despite 50+ years of production.

Last edited by MumBiker : 28th August 2009 at 11:36.
MumBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:33   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Gansan, I understand where you are coming from, but let me also flip this over in another way to convey the point of view. If I had a HD, and you told me that for the tenth of price I can get a Bullet, but no HD sound, or physical presence, I would say that the 10% is a waste of money. Value is in the eyes of the beholder, is all I am saying. I would not buy a HD, I have a Bullet. But I have made more than my fair share of seemingly irrational decisions. Though I must say, it took me years to realize that. If you have done so a lot earlier, good for you!
Sawyer, you have got me wrong. I am not saying you can buy an Alto at 10% the cost of a Merc or BMW. I understand their value and would buy one instead of an Alto if I could afford it.

Here I am comparing two cult bikes, not a HD with a CD 100 SS.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:37   #199
Senior - BHPian

@shrini - hey, enjoy your HD - different strokes remember! And if you are such a fan, I assume you had a blast seeing Wild Hogs too.
But would you ride it here? That is the question that will be answered by time, by the sales numbers.
The Japanese superbike sales are limping along, Ducati may be in single digits, lets see how HD does.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:41   #200
BHPian

I regularly tour the NH's/ GQ on our 500 LB and the Karizma. I'm always wishing I had more horses than I had on these roads. Doing 700+ kms a day is not easy when all you have are some 25 odd bhp and under 500 cc. A liter bike with better suspension, lower CG, locomotive like torque and stable handling at speed would do very nicely on the GQ. Sounds like the Fatboy to me!

Cheers,
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:41   #201
BHPian

Quote:
@shrini - hey, enjoy your HD - different strokes remember! And if you are such a fan, I assume you had a blast seeing Wild Hogs too.
But would you ride it here? That is the question that will be answered by time, by the sales numbers.
The Japanese superbike sales are limping along, Ducati may be in single digits, lets see how HD does.
I totally understand that IND the roads are bad too much heat and dust but hey having a H.O.G. in IND isnt for everyday ride, its for cruisin on the highway to a different city.
I've done several overnighters and lots of long trips here with my fellow H.O.G. members but I guess this culture isnt there in India but like every other H.O.G. chapters India isnt left alone ppl will join the bandwagon and they will start cruisin on the highway.

one such ambition/dream of mine is to cruise along with my fellow countrymen on my american made V-Twin proudly displaying my H.O.G. loyalty
shrini78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:42   #202
BHPian

Default :(

I bought the safari at a very wrong time! Wish I knew about this one coming in. Anyways, next three yrs, I will be buying one (one EMI over, the next one would start, I wonder if I can ever buy a house at this rate)!
It is a dream come true and believe me, but as a hard core bullet enthusiast I am not sure if this bike would take the same kind of banter that we give to the bull. Harleys are built for the good highways/expressways not for our Indian roads.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:45   #203
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Now that all my biker buddies know of my passion for Harleys they keep teasing me that they will follow me picking up parts that will fall off as I ride and a mechanic in tow in a car to attend to the bike when it breaks down

I know that the day I get mine they will have a field day for a long long time making fun of me. BUT - will that stop me from getting one? No way. I am already down to figuring out which colour to order
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:47   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumBiker View Post
The availability of spares in cities like Mumbai is absolutely ridiculous, i had to fetch my primary cover from Pune and now i need a Brake Pedal and the Exhaust Bend Pipe and it seems both of them are not available in Mumbai.

The Menstruation cycle aka oil leaks on new bullets still continue despite 50+ years of production.
then you are looking at the wrong places...

Agreed the bull and the Harley are two totally diff machines.

The bull is a english bike and the harley american, they come from different school of thought, they were made to do different things. Comparing the bullet and harley would be dis-respecting both the iconic brands.

Its simple if you can afford to buy a harley, you will, if you cant you wont.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:49   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

So how many of you have actually filled the form on the HD website & expressed your willingness to buy the HD
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:50   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
I replace "Every good thing worth having" with "Every object of desire worth acquiring". Your move!

The Marlboro man died of lung cancer and his son sued the cigarette company. He bought a Fatboy with the money and is the accountant I mentioned earlier
. Now you have made a statement with a redundancy in it! "Every object of desire worth acquiring comes at a significant cost" - the worth is defined by the significant cost and vice versa! But let that pass, because this leads next to the Buddha!
I can see the Marlboro man living his dreams via his son of course, and the son compensating for his safe and boring life by getting on to the HD and playing pretend cowboy? With the smoke out of the tailpipe instead of his nose?

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th August 2009 at 11:57. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 28th August 2009, 11:56   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
So how many of you have actually filled the form on the HD website & expressed your willingness to buy the HD
i did express my willingness to buy it but not sure if i can buy it though.
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:03   #208
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
When this is the one thing this side of a Ferrari that I always wanted you think I'd miss the chance to buy one right here in India? Signed up Sir and waiting to complete the formalities
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:05   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
I regularly tour the NH's/ GQ on our 500 LB and the Karizma. I'm always wishing I had more horses than I had on these roads. Doing 700+ kms a day is not easy when all you have are some 25 odd bhp and under 500 cc. A liter bike with better suspension, lower CG, locomotive like torque and stable handling at speed would do very nicely on the GQ. Sounds like the Fatboy to me!

Cheers,
Go ahead do your HD thing, but the question is, would this really be the bike to do 700km comfortably on? It will be better than the Bullet, no doubt about that, but I am not sure it would be as comfortable as it might appear. For example will the cruiser pose and upright windshield keep the windblast from hammering you? A check with people who have done this in the US would reveal this, because for sure the weekend HD crowd in the US does not go these distances as a rule.
@ anyone who know - what is the cruising range on a full tank?

Last edited by Sawyer : 28th August 2009 at 12:12.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:16   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Go ahead do your HD thing, but the question is, would this really be the bike to do 700km comfortably on? It will be better than the Bullet, no doubt about that, but I am not sure it would be as comfortable as it might appear. For example will the cruiser pose and upright windshield keep the windblast from hammering you? A check with people who have done this in the US would reveal this, because for sure the weekend HD crowd in the US does not go these distances as a rule.
No I disagree with you. I've done trips 400miles in a day with frequent stops. I rode to sturgis in 2008. Its the mecca of HD culmination, its a week long fest that takes place in sturgis and I rode for 5 days approxiamtely 1500miles to sturgis from Dallas,TX.

I do have a windshield and many HD windshields are detachable where you can take it off if you are ridin in the city and put it back on the highway and it does help a lot and stop wind resistant to an extent but you cant expect like a car though

Once you go with a windshield trust me you would never wanna take it off, its that comfortable. The freeways are so nice here that usually i'm around 75mph on my HD not sure if you can ride that fast on a highway in IND with so many hindrances and pot holes that appear outta nowhere in the ground
shrini78 is offline   Reply With Quote