Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 28th August 2009, 12:21   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Wrong. They are launching a bike just for India which will be assembled in India itself. I have seen it when I went for their market survey a few months back.

Yeah I attended the one in Bangalore too and there was this bike "custom made" for India....
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:33   #212
Senior - BHPian

@shrini- noted, thanks. Not having ridden either, I do want to point out that the GT fully faired bikes where you tuck into the airflow a little, are supposed to leave the rider pretty much in a no airflow zone at speeds, because of the fairing/windscreen design. I don't know which is more comfortable for long distance cruising.
Anyway, when you do these rides, what is full tank range from one gas station to the next?
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:34   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
then you are looking at the wrong places...

Agreed the bull and the Harley are two totally diff machines.

The bull is a english bike and the harley american, they come from different school of thought, they were made to do different things. Comparing the bullet and harley would be dis-respecting both the iconic brands.

Its simple if you can afford to buy a harley, you will, if you cant you wont.

cheers,
ac
Hmm, i primarily went to the RE Workshop @ Nerul and then spoke to Singh & Ram at Grant Road. Then i went around the city (Central & Central Suburbs) seeking spares from all people known to sell bike spares none had it.

All i want to say is how about the official workshop stocking spares rather than people hunting for them around the world
MumBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:34   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
@ anyone who know - what is the cruising range on a full tank?
My FXDC is 5.0 gallons and I usually get 45 mpg invariably...
shrini78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:37   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumBiker View Post
All i want to say is how about the official workshop stocking spares rather than people hunting for them around the world
How about - because no one visits the official workshops for Bullets?!
Are you seeing oil leaks on the Machismo? Most AVL 500s are leak free, so that is a surprise, and even so, eliminating it should be easier than on a CI bike.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:53   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Note From MOD - Guys this is not a RE Vs HD thread, any more OT posts on these lines would be deleted. Thanks
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 13:03   #217
BHPian

Thanks techno for bringing the thread back on track. Now can anyone please confirm on the Made for India HD. The website doesnt seem to have this bike. Is this information at all correct, some of the members seem to have been for the invite from HD. Anyone get any insight into this? Are we looking at the buell to be launched or does HD have a altogether new bike custom made for indian/lower price range market.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 14:54   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Now can anyone please confirm on the Made for India HD. The website doesnt seem to have this bike. Is this information at all correct, some of the members seem to have been for the invite from HD. Anyone get any insight into this? Are we looking at the buell to be launched or does HD have a altogether new bike custom made for indian/lower price range market.
Well, I was one among a number of people invited by a company that gathers a lot of statistical data and provide groundwork for pre-releases of automobiles. During this "workshop", we were given absolutely no information at all on who they were representing, who had procured the bike for said "workshop" or even if the company was planning to launch some motor-vechicle at all. We were not allowed to take any pictures. Like I had mentioned on my blog in April 2009, a number of motorcycles were on display and all we were allowed to do was to sit on them and have a look of the bike. We were allowed to hear the engine note but not even allowed to ride them. Out of a total of 18 bikes, there were just 2 Indian bikes. And out of this 18, 8 were Harley Davidsons. In the first set of bikes, it was more Harleys but other bikes too. In the second set, it was all Harleys! And in this second set (if I remember correctly), there was a bike that looked like a Sportser (if I am wrong, correct me - those who might have also had this same chance) but with no labels and the tank was I think, deliberately devoid of any paint. It was this bike that we thought might be the cheaper Harley to be also sold specifically for India.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 15:53   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
My FXDC is 5.0 gallons and I usually get 45 mpg invariably...
That will be about 19 KMPL How does it compare with other SBKs?
Gansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 16:07   #220
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting for someone to translate! 19 sounds very good for an engine that is 1800cc. The liter class SBKs return a lot less than that. Maybe the 19 comes from ideal conditions on the open interstates.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:47   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

19 is a decent mileage, an R1, 1000 RR gives mileage in same region (18-22) on highways & around 12-15 odd in city.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:51   #222
Senior - BHPian

So I wonder why the HD is so much more efficient at almost twice the swept volume. Maybe because it is a lower revving engine? Does any know the rpms of the two bikes at, say, 100 kmph?
Old 28th August 2009, 17:27   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Err how did you conclude that its so much more efficient? Shrini isn't getting this mileage on Indian roads & I am not aware what mpg these liter's give out on those roads.

But yes lower rpm V twins should be efficient.
Old 28th August 2009, 17:48   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Err how did you conclude that its so much more efficient?
Because you said the liter class give the same on highways! And if you think about it in comparison to a car, an 1800 cc giving 19km is pretty good. Also comparing it to a 40 ( highways ) that my 500 bullet gives.
Old 28th August 2009, 18:13   #225
BHPian

If the Dyna Street Bob gives 14 kmpl (sources: HD US site and forums) and the tank can hold 17 ltrs, the effective range(ideal) works out to 238 kms/full tank. Thats slightly better than our MT-01 which has a 15 ltr tank and gives only 13-15 kmpl, effective safe range 210 kms/full tank. Range is so important on these bikes, especially in India where good fueling opportunities aren't as easily forthcoming.

I'm yet unsure about the following:
1. Premium fuel requirements (91 enough or 95 and above needed?)
2. Is the air cooling sufficient for 30-45 degrees ambient temperature on the Indian plains?
3. Dusty, humid (near-sea and otherwise) operating conditions impact.
4. Frequent start-stop, low gear riding issues in the city (The R1 and the MT both overheat in traffic.)
5. Specific to the roadster and dyna street bob's, the comfort offered by the mid controls as against the forward controls in the softail's and VRSC's.
6. Suspension is already low, will it be found wanting on our "perfect" roads. Bottoming out a 13k $ bike will send me into a devastating depression. Pun unintended of course.

Am looking all over the internet for answers to these q's. Just read this somewhere... "God rides a Harley"

Cheers,

Last edited by sriku : 28th August 2009 at 18:15.
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote