Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 4th January 2009, 21:40   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
Hi, Infractions means Warnings, u get 3 of them and your out/banned.

OUCH but dont they ever get deleted....meaning after some time dont they get zeroed out )

Last edited by Jonny Bravo : 4th January 2009 at 21:49.
Jonny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 00:01   #47
BHPian

couple of years old thread , no harley on the roads yet, currently just something for the filthy rich to indulge in.
vikrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 18:09   #48
BHPian

Default Harley-Davidson bikes to come to India by end-2009

The blogoshpere seems to be abuzz with the news of Harley coming into India by December 2009 with CBU's and an assembly line by 2011.

I was trying to look up info on our very own forum, but could not find it. The source of the news seems to be India Automotive: Harley-Davidson bikes to come to India by end-2009. How reliable do you think this and other posts are.

Hope this does not turn out to be like the baby Ninja efforts by Bajaj.

P.S. MODS if you feel a similar thread exists, please delete this. Thanks
downsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 23:09   #49
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Great news

The last time I test rode a Harley it felt like I was riding a Krishi engined tiller. I bought the VFR and 11 years down the line still can't seem to tire of it. But I still want a Harley, for that sound and the looks. Nutcase? Possibly ! Customer waiting in Hyderabad for a Softtail Deluxe
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 12:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Default Why Harley Davidson

Do we really want to be associated with a Harley?

With Harley being the bike of choice for all types of “chauvinists” I would like to think again. It has been long associated with the likes of Klu-Klux; personally I wouldn’t want to be associated with it. I am told that even the HD is aware of this negative image and that was the reason why they got to be associated with the Tim Allen & John Travolta movie the Wild Hogs, in a feeble attempt to say that even good guys ride HD.

I am sure that some of the Indian IT professionals or even some Indian house wifes in US , who had the mis fortune to face some of these "bikers" would second my thoughts.

I am by no means claiming to be a politically correct person always, but is there anything great about the “cycle with a pump motor in it” (as described by a fellow BHPian) that we should go gaga over it.

I would any day love to see the likes of Triumph Bonneville range (the modern classics) to come to India, if we are looking for big thumpers with performance.

Ride Safe

Ram

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th February 2009 at 12:28. Reason: Font tags
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 12:41   #51
BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

With Harley being the bike of choice for all types of “chauvinists” I would like to think again. It has been long associated with the likes of Klu-Klux; personally I wouldn’t want to be associated with it. I am told that even the HD is aware of this negative image and that was the reason why they got to be associated with the Tim Allen & John Travolta movie the Wild Hogs, in a feeble attempt to say that even good guys ride HD.

I am sure that some of the Indian IT professionals or even some Indian house wifes in US , who had the mis fortune to face some of these "bikers" would second my thoughts.

I am by no means claiming to be a politically correct person always, but is there anything great about the “cycle with a pump motor in it” (as described by a fellow BHPian) that we should go gaga over it.

I would any day love to see the likes of Triumph Bonneville range (the modern classics) to come to India, if we are looking for big thumpers with performance.

Ride Safe

Ram
Ram,

I would definately be associated with HD, I am no Hells Angel fan trust me. And being politically correct does not have anything to do with it. Its an individuals choice and perception of the bike. Each one his own, HD is a great bike and I would love to own one(Provided I have the money ).

Considering we have menace of a million Plus 125cc roaches in India, we should not be associated with them either but thats the real world.

Enjoy your ride.
downsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 13:26   #52
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
That was an interesting take on Harley !!

Tattoes, leather jackets, long hair, drinking beer and playing pool...the list is endless !

Fortunately for jokers like me we've reached a stage in life where we are not too bothered about what the housewife down the road will think.

I will buy a Harley because it looks a million bucks, sounds like no other internal combustion engine on this planet and above all affords a very special experience of a joy that is deepest within my heart, the joy of open air motoring while listening to the sputter of that quirky engine.

The VFR I ride has for years been rated as the world's finest all rounder motorcycle. I still want the Harley

Now that should say something about the ethos of Harley's.

BTW I don't sport tattoes, wear leather daily, no long hair, don't touch alcohol and never played pool .

Last edited by DKG : 17th February 2009 at 13:28.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 20:45   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Harley has the image that other companies would give their right arm for. Consider this : They make more money from merchandising (caps, scarves, t-shirts etc.) than from selling bikes!!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 20:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

doh?we have our Royal Enfield then?Let someone cash-pull RE to launch Interceptor(again)
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 21:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

OT
If they take a leaf out of Hitchcock Motorcycles and relaunch the CI500 or even the LB500 with the 612 kit, Bullets will eat HD sportsters for Brekfast, lunch and dinner I guess. But, these goddamned emissions.
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 00:29   #56
BHPian

Harley is not a motorcycle company - It is a lifestyle company!

I was told that Harley changed their description from a motorcycle company to a bike company a few years ago (I read in some Tom Peters book - I don't remember) - In an interview the exec was justifying their claim that Harley is a bike where a 50 year old accountant can wear a leather jacket and driver around, and be considered cool (or be feared ). So, he was justifying that Harley Davidson was a lifestyle company and not just a motorcycle company.

When I was driving around (in US) in a Ford Mustang, I really used to appreciate the growl of the Mustang (a raw sound) - When I was doing 80 MPH in a freeway, I was overtaken by a group of Harley drivers - all wearing leather jackets and boots. The noise of their bikes simply drowned the growl of the Mustang

I don't travel much these days, and if I travel to US next, I'll sure rent a Harley!

I welcome Harley to India (despite their association with some clandestine clans)!
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 02:43   #57
Team-BHP Support

So the bike-mango deal is on now?
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 10:35   #58
BHPian

Harley Davidson has been contracting third part organizations in India who are, on behalf of Harley, reaching out to Biking groups in India and interviewing them and getting to know them.
I can tell you because all SBK guys in our riding group were invited over for a dinner at the local 5star hotel in September and they even video-taped the complete excercise.
They did not reveal they were actually from Harley, but looking at their questions and topics of discussions PLUS all the life style merchandize with them, we could pretty much bet that it was Harley only.
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 11:19   #59
BHPian

I dont believe in "launching soon or coming soon" things
it will take years after this COMING SOON thing.
an example our ninja 250R
smart2smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009, 11:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Harley has the image that other companies would give their right arm for. Consider this : They make more money from merchandising (caps, scarves, t-shirts etc.) than from selling bikes!!
A few years ago I went to the US for a short holiday and before coming back bought a pair of HD boots from one of the largest HD dealers in east coast (Mike's Bikes, Delaware). It was a sort of memento from the land of the yanks, a kind of ultimate all American symbol that I could afford.
Back home I discovered the boots were "Made in China" and it's written pretty proudly on it.
Ironically enough Harley's revival in the 80s happened when they changed their marketing strategy and emphasised on their all American image. This appealed to the average American's patriotic sentiment and the company was saved from the brink of closure.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote