Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 29th April 2015, 09:33   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsub View Post

One question, did you replace your tires with OEM pirelli tires or some other brand?
Yes, my rear Pirelli ran out at 13500kms. I switched over to Michelin Pilot Road 2, as I was looking for a tire with lesser grip but better mileage. Also, as set of Michelins costs 20k, but the Pirellis are upwards of 25k and nearly 40k if one buys it at Triumph. Hopefully, with more bikes and brands coming in, tire companies will also get in better and more updated tires ( Bridgestone, Dunlop, Metzeler )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3646172 (Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review)
hifisharu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 22:28   #197
BHPian

A small video of a drive by with the Arrow

Street Triple with Arrow drive by:
hifisharu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 22:55   #198
BHPian

A small video I made, on a recent ride. The sound resounding in the hills of Yelagiri was simply superb!

Last edited by hifisharu : 14th May 2015 at 22:56.
hifisharu is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 12:41   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
A small video I made, on a recent ride. The sound resounding in the hills of Yelagiri was simply superb!
Super roads and throaty growl from the arrow. Was expecting to hear it in the flesh on one of our weekend rides.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 22:50   #200
BHPian

Default Triumph Street Triple: One year ownership review

Seems like it has all happened so fast!! It's already been one year, since I took the reins to 'White Knight' and it's been a great journey. As she stands now, I've covered a lil over 18000 kms, much higher than my estimate of 10,000 kms per year. And I can attribute it all to how easy it is to use. Many of the Street owners even use it as a daily ride, to office, errands etc. The bike is very easy to maneuver, it's light weight and if you're gentle with the throttle, one can achieve good mileage as well.

Despite Triumph screwing up the Street, with all the de-tune fiasco, the bike as a product is just amazing. I'm not saying what Triumph India did was right, but in a way, the bike being de-tuned helped me learn the bike better. For my initial part of getting to know the bike, the power delivery was mellow and manageable and helped me get good control over the bike. After the re-tune and addition of the Arrow exhaust, White Knight regained her original character, burbling, popping her way.

I can never leave any of my vehicles in the stock state and with the kind of accessories Triumph has, it was not long before White Knight was decorated with different farkles. Some of the major additions are:

1. Evotech Performance radiator guard: Essential in preventing damage to the radiator, from stones, chips etc, this is a must have.

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-triumphstreettripleradiatorguard.jpg

2. Arrow exhaust: It feels like the engine was just designed to run with this exhaust. It lets the engine run smoother and the most obvious thing, that head turning, captivating exhaust note. The Arrow is lighter, and less restrictive than the stock exhaust and frees up a few ponies. The best part is that the warranty is up held

Name:  Image00145_6_7_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 2955
Size:  106.7 KB

3. LED Indicators: These just look too cool and are a great addition to an already great bike. The finish is exquisite and are quite bright, even during the day

4. Crash bobbins and Fork Protectors: Triumph OE frame sliders and fork protectors which will save you from a world of hurt incase of a slow speed tip over

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-pic-4.jpg

5. Handle bar risers: As the name suggests, these raise the handle bar by 20mm and give a more upright stance, making it better for long distance touring.

6. Rear Hugger: A small hugger over the rear tire, to prevent muck from splashing on the rear suspension. Costs quite a bomb, but doesn't work well. The muck does get flung around everywhere.

7.Engine case protector: The next thing on my list, which protect the engine cases in the event there's a slide

Other than the above additions, I've replaced the parking lamps with LED lamps and upgraded the headlamps to Osram Nightbreakers. Some of the major expense on maintaining has been tires, which were replaced with Michelin Pilot Road 2 at around 13000kms. Though the Michelins don't have the outright grip offered by the stock Pirellis, they wear better and give better mileage. Once heated up well, they offer good grip and turn-ins are better than the Pirellis. I haven't ridden much in wet weather, but the Michelins do offer good grip and confidence.

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-pic-10.jpg

The bike has been through two services, each costing around 5000, with the major expense being the engine oil. Brake pads are holding up well, and should last another 5k kms. The rear will last nearly forever, since I adopt the 80-20 braking rule. Also, I changed the engine coolant to Engine Ice. There's been no major improvement in the heat dissipation but seems to be slightly better than the stock coolant.

I've enjoyed my solo rides, rides with the missus and plenty of group rides. The White Knight never fails to disappoint and has made every ride enjoyable. It was just coincidence, that my first anniversary ride on White Knight was also my first ride with the Team-bhp gang, making it very memorable. More details can be found here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3708751 (Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides)

Now, coming to some downsides, infact there has been only one. After around 12k kms, there was a kind of idling issue. Whenever the bike was in heavy traffic, and the radiator fan was running, the engine would cut out, instead of idling. The problem was fixed by cleaning the throttle bodies and balancing the throttle body. It appears there are plenty of other owners who've faced the same issue and we're insisting Triumph find a robust solution to this issue.

I take this opportunity to thank the BRATs, for organising all the wonderful rides and being a lovely bunch to ride and hang out with. To commemorate the first year with White Knight, I took her for a nice photo shoot, I leave you with the results from the shoot.

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-pic-6.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-pic-2.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-pic-3.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-pic-7.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-pic-11.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-pic-5.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-pic-9.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-pic-12.jpg
hifisharu is online now   (17) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 23:27   #201
BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Street Triple: One year ownership review

Quote:
Handle bar risers: As the name suggests, these raise the handle bar by 20mm and give a more upright stance, making it better for long distance touring.
Great going Sharath!
18k kms in one year is really enjoying the Stipple.

The 20mm handlebar risers you mention - does it completely eliminate the lean in on the handle? Appreciate a picture of you sitting on the bike from a side angle.

Only having a small niggle in your 18k kms speaks well for Triumph quality.

Thanks and continue having fun bro!

Cheers.
Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 09:19   #202
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sharath. Time flies, doesn't it? It only feels like you bought the bike a few months ago. I still remember the day you got the bike and posted the first shots of it.

Great to see her piling on miles with ease. 18k kms in a year is quite a lot considering you only ride on weekends.

The upgrades look wow on the bike especially the LED turn indicators and of course, the Arrow pipes.

Wishing you many more happy and safe years on this one.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 11:07   #203
BHPian

What a stunner ! And that stunner doing 18 grands in a year's time speaks for the practicality and usability in spite of being capable of doing what it can do on an open piece of tarmac.

I am one of those few human beings who absolutely adored the front of the Striple, without having to grow into its looks, and boy does she look amazing in these pictures.

The first ride for my Roadbuster was with your White Knight. Way it looked, the way it sung its song and way it pulled away were all so awe inspiring !

Cheers to hundreds and thousands of more miles !

Last edited by Sojogator : 19th May 2015 at 11:08.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 11:44   #204
BHPian

Hi Hifisharu,

Once again congratulations on the anniversary, it was great meeting all Tbhpians for the DD hill ride, it was my first ride with a group. In fact I have been following your thread since day 1 as I too was looking at the Striple.
It was a pleasure watching the bike move and hearing the Arrow's note. Wish you many more miles/days of happy riding.

Regards,
Veera
veerameti is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 17:49   #205
BHPian

Wow. Congrats Sharath. 18k kms in a year is what I term as "Ride it like you stole it"

Ride hard and wish you many more enjoyable miles on her.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 18:17   #206
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sharath, nice to see an uneventful year you have had with your street triple, do you have any plans of upgrading over to its bigger brother or probably jump into the hayabusas?

I think by now you would have gotten over the windblast effects on your neck...
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 08:01   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
do you have any plans of upgrading over to its bigger brother or probably jump into the hayabusas?
Thanks Mahesh, I've indeed enjoyed every moment with her. Coming to the idea of upgrading, I don't see it happening ever, as my primary consideration while zeroing in on the Street was the awesome blend of power, nimbleness and ease of use. Being a 600, it's lower on engine heat, better mileage as well. Plus the power gain on upgrading to a bigger bike is moot, as we can never exploit that power anywhere, anytime. A Busa will never be under consideration, as it's too ugly, heavy and heavier on the pocket.
hifisharu is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 22:22   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congratulations Sharath, nice to see an uneventful year
Surely you meant eventful right?

Quote:
Thanks Mahesh, I've indeed enjoyed every moment with her. Coming to the idea of upgrading, I don't see it happening
Any thoughts on getting a belly pan installed? I reckon it'd make a pretty cool addition to the already kickass bike.
createrkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:42   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Street Triple: One year ownership review

That's some number even carwalas will envy! I guess this bikes proves that its not always about bhp part that makes it a great bike ( and a practical one, this side of 10 lac). 5k per service is pretty cheap when I compare to Bonnie's.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 13:21   #210
BHPian

Two back to back weekends with two amazing trips:

Pondicherry: My riding buddy had been wanting to ride to Pondi and hence we headed there. Simple ride, just went to Pondi, chilled out for the evening, headed back the next morning. Onward journey we took the Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Tinidivanam route. Excellent roads all the way through. Return journey was via Ranipet-Chitoor-Mulabagal-Kolar. Good roads, but two lane with a lot of heavy vehicle traffic, making overtaking tedious. Great ride nevertheless

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-tl000646.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-tl000659.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-tl000661.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-tl000662.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-tl000687.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-tl000692.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-tl000701.jpg

On the return journey:

If it's not already there on the Travel routes thread, now Tinidivanam has a bye-pass, saves a world of trouble going through the town
Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-tl000705.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-tl000735.jpg

Triumph Street Triple: Ownership Review-tl000750.jpg
hifisharu is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote