Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 29th July 2014, 13:00   #46
BHPian

Default Re: My 2014 Triumph Bonneville

Wow! the world is indeed a really small place. I checked out the facebook page that you mentioned and lo behold one of the guys is my friend (wearing the blue t-shirt). The reason ive not seen him with the bike is that he only uses it during the weekends and doesnt bring it to the city for work.The OTR for him for the T100 was 9L including the 12.5% Goa Entry Tax

Just got off a call with him and he was all praises for the bike except one big grouse, that it lacks the exhaust note of the Harley's.

Argchoff, sincere apologies for hijacking your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Infact, I recall the goa guys were featured in Triumph India Facebook with their Bonnevilles. I visit Goa twice a year ( visiting again next month) and Martin's Corner is usually a must visit for us (always hoping we can spot Sachin there)

Argchoff, apologies for going offtopic. I plan to stop here on this subject
sapeco is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 01:41   #47
BHPian

I envy you man!!
Yes, of course for the bike, but also for having a wife who likes to ride!! How cool is that.
I tried teaching my wife to ride a bike, but all I got was my biking license revoked by the Home Minister (a.k.a wife). For the simple reason that she doesn't trust anything that cannot stand on its own without a support. The fact that she forgot to put her legs on the ground when the bike stopped could be the culprit.
Once again, congrats on the bike, drive safe.
Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 12:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
You are right, the bike will look much better without that front number plate in front of the twin pods. There is hardly any space below the headlight assembly to shift the number plate. Though i am planning to put a sticker at the front of the mudguard once i am sure that it is allowed by the RTO.
Though belated - a Warm Welcome to the family of Bonniville & Triumph Owners. Somehow I missed this thread until now. I am sure both of you will have many many miles on Bonnie. If I were you I would be careful in allowing the better half more seat time on Bonney or else I am sure you will end up looking for another one soon as madam is not going to let you have the Bonnie back

You may have seen from my threads that I have a number sticker on my Bonnie. I am being given grief by all and sundry cops in Bangalore for this. I have been getting away by carrying a front number plate (embosed one) with me and telling the cops that I am on my way o fit this.

I don't think any RTO will agree to a sticker on mudguard being compliant as it can't be read from a distance of 20 meters or so unless its on the front panel of a scooter. (as per the MV Act provisos).

I will have move quickly to do the fixing - I am on the hunt to locate the Thruxton's number plate clamp, which is OE Triumph equipment and that with the Reisitor relocator (as mentioned by Abhinav) should do a proper job.

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 17th August 2014 at 12:24.
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 17:17   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
If I were you I would be careful in allowing the better half more seat time on Bonney or else I am sure you will end up looking for another one soon as madam is not going to let you have the Bonnie back
I don't think any RTO will agree to a sticker on mudguard being compliant as it can't be read from a distance of 20 meters or so unless its on the front panel of a scooter. (as per the MV Act provisos).
I will have move quickly to do the fixing - I am on the hunt to locate the Thruxton's number plate clamp, which is OE Triumph equipment and that with the Reisitor relocator (as mentioned by Abhinav) should do a proper job.
Thanks. In fact there was a chap on the independence day ride that we had who had used a metal bracket fitted 'behind' the rectifier unit with two u shaped metal strips that went over(or was it under?) the top of the rectifier unit and then the number plate was fitted to these strips on their front side via bolts.
I did ask Mr Sumbly CEO Triumph India who was flagging the ride about the rectifier relocation kit but he said that this may not be India bound as relocating it below the oil cooler unit poses the risk of damaging it due to road conditions. However he did say that Triumph India may design a method where by the front number plate can be relocated below the headlight or on top of the front fender like in the old style.
argchoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 17:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did ask Mr Sumbly CEO Triumph India who was flagging the ride about the rectifier relocation kit but he said that this may not be India bound as relocating it below the oil cooler unit poses the risk of damaging it due to road conditions.
I just don't want to say anything - have a look at the picture below.

My 2014 Triumph Bonneville-bonnie-rect-rl.jpg

All Triumph india has to do is to make two parts available
  • Relocator Bracket - as can be seen in the pic below
My 2014 Triumph Bonneville-bonnie-rect-rl-cl.jpg
  • The Number Plate Clamp of Thruxton - which they are already selling with Thruxton
From the above picture you can see if the relocator is used it will mean that rectifier is not hidden by numberplate & hence gets all cool air. Also in that position "indian road conditions" can't damage the rectifier or horn as its not "below the oil tank".

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 17th August 2014 at 17:43.
Old 17th August 2014, 17:46   #51
BHPian

Finally good to be back home and riding again. We went for the Triumph exclusive Independence day ride organised and accompanied by the dealers in Pune and some active group members who provided photography personnel and equipment and their service sales staff.. There was a breakfast organised at the Courtyard Marriot Chakan where the ride ended. The ride was flagged by the Triumph India CEO and there were about 25, maybe 30 riders some along with their spouses, GFs etc, and some with their children.
The ride commenced 0630 hrs opposite Vaishali Restaurant on FC road after a short safety brief and personal introductions, then on to Shaniwarwada in old Pune, MG road and then finally headed to chakan via Nashik highway. A reserved parking exclusively for Triumph bikes was arranged for us. After attending a flag hoisting ceremony conducted by the Marriot staff, headed for breakfast.
There was a short photo session at the Marriot after which we headed back to Pune via Talegaon way, finally everyone dispersing at Dehu junction.
On this ride i actually got to hear the sound of a Bonneville SE fitted with the Hi Flow silencers, that was pure music and gives the bike a lovely character. The owner seemed very happy with this upgrade, and he had had his bike custom painted his bike at the Triumph service centre with all blue with white on the bottom half of the tank. Thanks to our photographer i am able to share some photos from our ride.
And yes! Because no other bike make was allowed other than Triumph, the wife got a chance to ride the Bonnie as well on this ride.......now she doesn't feel like riding the Classic 500 anymore
Attached Thumbnails
My 2014 Triumph Bonneville-20140815_102016.jpg  

My 2014 Triumph Bonneville-img20140816wa0003.jpg  

Attached Images

argchoff is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 17:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And yes! Because no other bike make was allowed other than Triumph, the wife got a chance to ride the Bonnie as well on this ride.......now she doesn't feel like riding the Classic 500 anymore
Can I tell you "I told you so"

Nice report and nice photos as well

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 6th September 2014, 18:15   #53
BHPian

Today, got the chance i was waiting for - open up the throttle on straight road to do a check on the top speed in 1st gear. This was quoted to be in excess of 50mph (80km/hr) in an online article in motorcycleusa.com. There were contradictions to these claims by some bonnie owners saying that it was just not possible to reach those speeds in 1st.
Well... first of all did a risk assessment as regards safety, allround view, traffic density and likelyhood of crossing animals, villagers etc. There is a stretch just after Karla caves junction on the way back to Pune which i had evaluated on the way to Amby valley this morning. so, stopped, slotted in 1st gear and..revved....AND....touched 80km/hr!!!!!, engine had not quite redlined at this point and i did not want to test the rev limiter. But completely satisfied with the capability of this bike, never fails to surprise me. I would like to refrain from mentioning any unsafe speeds here, but i am sure the claimed top speeds quoted in expert reviews is believable and possible. Funny thing is that the bike being so quiet surprises everyone around when it speeds up. The engine is so smooth that if one does not feel out of control at high speeds.
So far the only flaws i can see is the horn and accessories. The horn just stops working as soon as it rains. Even when it works it is very weak.
Another thing is the lack of an abundance of accessories. A bike that good deserves proper engine guards and crash guards. If the bike were to fall on to the side, it would be impossible for a rider trapped to free himself from such a weight, not to mention the damage to the paint work and the bike itself.
The ride to Amby valley had to be cut short due to zero visibility at one point, so after some onion pakodas and masala omlet at the top of the ghats, headed back to Pune.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2014 Triumph Bonneville-20140906_090504.jpg  

My 2014 Triumph Bonneville-20140906_090511.jpg  

My 2014 Triumph Bonneville-20140906_093147.jpg  

My 2014 Triumph Bonneville-20140906_093714.jpg  

My 2014 Triumph Bonneville-20140906_094346.jpg  

Attached Images

argchoff is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 10:30   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so, stopped, slotted in 1st gear and..revved....AND....touched 80km/hr!!!!!, engine had not quite redlined at this point and i did not want to test the rev limiter. But completely satisfied with the capability of this bike, never fails to surprise me. I would like to refrain from mentioning any unsafe speeds here, but i am sure the claimed top speeds quoted in expert reviews is believable and possible. Funny thing is that the bike being so quiet surprises everyone around when it speeds up. The engine is so smooth that if one does not feel out of control at high speeds.
Thanks Archoff for the review and test that Bonnie can touch 80kmph in 1st gear, I never tried it till date. Well your right, Bonnie is a very unassuming looking bike and leaves lot of people gasping when they see the way it flies

Top speed of Bonnie is pretty much out there on youtube and you can search with a simple search string of " Bonnieville Top Speed" and you know how easily it touches that speed as well

Finally, I'd like to reiterate that please be careful while testing such parameters on public roads and infact would recommend not too
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 12:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
You are right, the bike will look much better without that front number plate in front of the twin pods. There is hardly any space below the headlight assembly to shift the number plate. Though i am planning to put a sticker at the front of the mudguard once i am sure that it is allowed by the RTO.
While a sticker suffices sometimes, you may have trouble once the new number plate rules are enforced. Being a new bike, you will have to get yours changed first
udainxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 23:51   #56
BHPian

Argchoff,

A 1st gear that does more than top speed of 100cc economisers, tell that to the average kya hai people and see the look of shock on their faces

How are you finding the tyre grip in the wet ? The front reminds me of an Indian make, it's a Metzeler, isn't it ?

PS: that stealthy black bike in the pics is mine
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 14:12   #57
BHPian

Triumph has apparently started a road side assistance in case of breakdowns. This is a paid service of inr 1700 per year. The road side assistance is limited to 200km from the nearest Triumph dealership. Out of this 200km coverage extra charges apply
Old 16th September 2014, 16:16   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Argchoff,

How are you finding the tyre grip in the wet ? The front reminds me of an Indian make, it's a Metzeler, isn't it
You are right it is a metzeler. Tyre grip is great....only once on a rainy patch the rear skidded very slightly while turning. I did experience rear tyre instability on a road patch which was made of concrete bricks.
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:21   #59
BHPian

Finally taken the plunge and got the High flow silencers fitted yesterday. Did this after taking a test ride on the Bonnie fitted with these. So far only had a chance to ride the bike from showroom to home and a short morning ride but so far here is the review:

Positives:
1. Sounds awesome
2. I wasn't expecting this but the initial pick up from standstill has definitely improved, will have to see how the top end is affected
3. No change in the looks of the bike except the bigger holes on the pipes itself.
4. From a safety point of view i am expecting others on road to hear me when i am near them, which was not happening with the stock pipes, on a couple of occasions a few nutcases decided to change lanes as they were unaware of my presence due to the quieter stock pipes.

Negatives:
1. Noticeable smell of petrol in the parking lot with engine running. I have been told by the guys at Triumph that this is normal and should disappear over time.....
2. Cost: 22K plus ECU tuning charges (Why didn't Triumph have these pipes as stock?)
3. Top end performance is yet to be judged. I'm hoping it hasn't dropped like it happened on my CL500 after i fitted a K&N filter and upswept silencer - Pick up increased but top end performance dropped....

As of now happy with the upgrade. Only time will tell if the loudness levels stay or reduce, as i believe this has happened to one T100 owner.
Old 24th September 2014, 12:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally taken the plunge and got the High flow silencers fitted yesterday.

2. Cost: 22K plus ECU tuning charges (Why didn't Triumph have these pipes as stock?)
How much did the dealer cahrge you for the ECU Tuning ?

Did you get rid of the secondary air intake, snorkel thing and fitting a free flowing air filter as well?

If not you would have been fine with the original tune as the setup would be with in the self adjusting band of the original ECU Tune. You would have noticed the same differences you are noticing now.

This is my understanding as has been explained by experts.

The reason they didn't have it as stock is that then the bike will not be compiant with the Euro III emission norms. All Triumph supplied freeflow pipes its clearly embossed - "Not fit for Road use". Check the pipes - it should be there some where.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 24th September 2014 at 12:53.