Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 6th February 2015, 01:05   #61
BHPian

So an update at 4,000km.
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1423164882717.jpg

Been riding solely on weekends and at night and really enjoying my Bonne. With the TORs it sounds LOUD and my mileage has dropped to 14kmpl.

Debating whether to go back to stock as on a long ride, the sound gets annoying. The stock pipes, while bullet like for the most part, help here.

Got rid of the saree guard recently and boy does the bike look awesome without it. Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1423164802701.jpg

A doubt that maybe @mobike008 and @r_nairtvm can address: After a spirited ride, my bike makes a ticking sound for quite a while. It slowly goes away. Also, since I've changed to the TORs, there's a weird smell emanating from my bike. A sort of sharp chemical smell. Are both these normal?

Last edited by djpeesh : 6th February 2015 at 01:06.
djpeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 01:49   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
A doubt that maybe @mobike008 and @r_nairtvm can address: After a spirited ride, my bike makes a ticking sound for quite a while. It slowly goes away. Also, since I've changed to the TORs, there's a weird smell emanating from my bike. A sort of sharp chemical smell. Are both these normal?
Well the ticking sound is very normal. All the bikes make that noise when switched off after a good ride (specially when engine is hot....quite hot). I'm not so sure but its something to do with engine cooling off when aint alive.

And about the chemical type smell. How many kms have you clocked with the new pipes on? Probable reason will be because its new and needs to get used to the engine getting hot.
akshayhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 10:40   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So an update at 4,000km.

Debating whether to go back to stock as on a long ride, the sound gets annoying. The stock pipes, while bullet like for the most part, help here.
The sound that we get from loud pipes can be enjoyed on a short city ride, but once you are on the highway blazing at anything above 80 KPMH and riding for more than 100-200 Kms and upwards that very sound gets irritating and makes you go deaf. That's one of the prime reasons why I stick to the original factory fitted silencers on all my RE motorcycles. I acquired a RE Thunderbird 500 about 4 months back and haven't changed the factory fitted silencer just for this reason. Continue with the factory fitted silencer on your Bonneville and enjoy the long rides.

Quote:
As akshayhonda has rightly put up that ticking sound is quite normal and happens in all the aircooled engine motorcycles (not sure about liquid/water cooled engines), all my five RE motorcycles do that after a long ride or even city ride in hot climate. That ticking sound comes from the cooling fins AFAIK while they cool down after the engine is stopped. If the smell comes only while using the modified silencer and not while using the factory fitted silencer then you need to check this with the Triumph After Sales Service.

Cheers and enjoy riding your Bonnie.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 00:17   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
The sound that we get from loud pipes can be enjoyed on a short city ride, but once you are on the highway blazing at anything above 80 KPMH and riding for more than 100-200 Kms and upwards that very sound gets irritating and makes you go deaf. That's one of the prime reasons why I stick to the original factory fitted silencers on all my RE motorcycles. I acquired a RE Thunderbird 500 about 4 months back and haven't changed the factory fitted silencer just for this reason. Continue with the factory fitted silencer on your Bonneville and enjoy the long rides
Cheers and enjoy riding your Bonnie.
Thanks Navin. Plan to go back to stock at least for the ride to Goa for IBW and then put the TORs back once I get back, if I feel the urge to make a racket. Given that I got them free, thanks to someone upgrading to something even louder, no financial loss really
Old 7th February 2015, 01:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Navin. Plan to go back to stock at least for the ride to Goa for IBW and then put the TORs back once I get back, if I feel the urge to make a racket. Given that I got them free, thanks to someone upgrading to something even louder, no financial loss really
DJ its better you stick to stock if you plan to tour on your lovely Bonnie. The sound is sweet for short rides but can get really tiring and annoying for the rider on long hauls.

And have a good trip down to Goa. I will be there at IBW too. Hope to catch up with you if you don't mind
Old 7th February 2015, 20:35   #66
BHPian

Got the pipes back to stock. Let's see after IBW. Suddenly can't hear the bike droning in my helmet. Not sure if that's good After all, someone said loud pipes save lives
Old 8th February 2015, 01:14   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Got the pipes back to stock. Let's see after IBW. Suddenly can't hear the bike droning in my helmet. Not sure if that's good After all, someone said loud pipes save lives
I understand you feeling mate. Not very pleasurable experience to get used to not listening a sweet symphony :P
Old 24th February 2015, 10:09   #68
BHPian

Bonnification@5300
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1424752469583.jpg

When I first got the Bonne (yes Avi that's what she's called), I assumed life would go on as it had, with a few weekend rides here and there. Little did I know that it would truly change my life forever.

Whereas weekends were earlier down time to laze about in bed, they quickly became BONNE TIME. I suddenly couldn't wait to for the week to end so I could ride.

Every weekend, I'd go to sleep on Sunday with a smile and couldn't wait for the next weekend.

My riding has also improved. Going out with a group helped me gain a bit more confidence and learn better riding techniques. Important since I'd taught myself to ride.

So, now after a 1300 km ride to Goa and back, I've got a sense of how she handles and a better sense of how much more I need to learn better riding techniques.

The positives:
*The Bonnie handles beautifully on ghats and on the straights
*The Bonnie can keep up with the bigger bikes, if you ride properly.
*The Bonnie hasn't got any hang ups about riding 650 kilometers in the heat and begs you to ride her harder.

The not so nice bits:
*The stock seat and a large bottom aren't exactly the best of pals
*The gearing is definitely one short. Countless times I tried to up shift while in fifth, thinking that I was in fourth
*She has a thing for the bad boy speedbreakers. Seriously. Kissed them so often that I was jealous.

So here we are, 5300 kilometers in our love story. On the cards are the following mods:
*king and Queen seats for long rides. Yes they are seriously ugly but a butt needs some love.
*Back to the TORs. I miss their snarling glory. TORs are how a Bonnie deserves to sound. Anything louder you might as well buy a Harley.

Loving every minute of my Bonnification.

Here are some random photos
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1424752494186.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1424752533730.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1424752567847.jpg
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 11:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

great thread! One question. in the latest pics i noticed that you have a tacho on your bonnie. Was this an aftermarket fitment or does Triumph sell this as an optional accessory for the Bonnie?
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 12:31   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
great thread! One question. in the latest pics i noticed that you have a tacho on your bonnie. Was this an aftermarket fitment or does Triumph sell this as an optional accessory for the Bonnie?
Hey Himanshu, thanks for the compliment. The tacho is an optional accessory for the Bonnie sold by Triumph. It costs 16k and I felt it completed the bike. Something about a bike without a tacho makes it feel incomplete.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 13:47   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Himanshu, thanks for the compliment. The tacho is an optional accessory for the Bonnie sold by Triumph. It costs 16k and I felt it completed the bike. Something about a bike without a tacho makes it feel incomplete.
I agree completely! Was riding next to a bonnie last week and was floored with the way it accelerated. Its the ultimate "Q" bike! Enjoy your ride!
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 13:46   #72
BHPian

So finally, both my bikes are running superbly. The Yezdi got a complete rebuild, with a new front end (hopefully just for the moment, until I can find a donor/original set of forks and a triple T).*

This morning I thought I'd wake up early and take her for a spin. Forgot that the petrol tap was off and kicked for eternity (the Bonne makes you forget the smaller details in life). Finally, after I woke myself and the building up with some furious kicking, I realized what I was doing and started her up.*

Along the way, the number plate, which I had painstakingly found rattled off and now I have to find myself a new one.

Here are a few pictures from this morning

Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1426752723640.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1426752768172.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1426752747812.jpg

Original fuel cap:
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1426752815507.jpg
Original nail key:
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1426752853928.jpg
My covered beauties:

Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1426752895406.jpg
Sisters from other mothers:
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1426752975001.jpg
Triumph Bonneville: Yet another Bonnie story from the heart !!!-1426752935382.jpg
Old 19th March 2015, 16:04   #73
BHPian

That Yezdi is quite a looker djpeesh! And the white only adds to the charm. I have a Pulsar that stands right next to my Bonnie, although not in this great shape. Will rebuild her if time allows....Amen!

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 16:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Yezdi got a complete rebuild, with a new front end (hopefully just for the moment, until I can find a donor/original set of forks and a triple T).*
Front end looks very good buddie, which is the make?

Also did you have to make any alterations to have the length corrected?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 23:25   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Front end looks very good buddie, which is the make?

Also did you have to make any alterations to have the length corrected?
The front end is from an Avenger. Had to change the bars, got them from a RD, the mirrors from a bullet and the rest is jugaad. The Avenger neck was a direct fit.