Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 29th January 2017, 19:50   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul

Updating thread after a long time.

Odometer reads some 7600km.
Had 3rd service done in Nov 2016, cost ~INR 6000.

One fine day in late October, after tanking up, bike refused to start. Cranking happened, but was in weak short bursts. Called RSA, dropped bike off at BUB.

Turns out to be sudden battery death. The battery would not charge, on alternator power or from external battery charger, even left to charge 2-3 days on slow charge. So battey replaced with same OEM brand and model, YTX-9BS. I did consider aftermarket battery , but wasn't convinced on switching to lithium-Fe-Po battery despite the better claims of weight saving by half and better cold cranking amperes. Main thing is lithium compound chemistry, while many in US recommend these, I wasn't so sure about the longevity and safety of lithium batteries in Indian climatic conditions - running in a very hot summer in the hot confines of a motorcycle. Battery cost was some INR 59xx but took a month to arrive.

I thought it's a premature failure, having failed in just over 2 years, but I'm told superbike batteries last 2 years. The usual lead-acid batteries in our other cars/bikes have all done 4 years minimum.

The bad part is it failed without warning, suddenly. Usually, failures should occur with warning/signs of wear/imminent failure, as often referred to as graceful degradation of performance.
Now imagine yourself on a long cross-country trip and the battery fails out of the blue.

I must admit last year wasn't great for riding. Missed IBW 2016. Summer seemed to have started early, the few rides I did before monsoons ( March to June) I was exhausted and drained by the heat. Contrast the summer of 2015, I was still in good spirits/temperatures wearing leathers as late as early April. Monsoons too haven't clocked any meaningful miles.

In between these rides, the front tyre ( Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa ) works better than the Diablo Supercorsa that was OEM fitment. It might be a one off or a tyre defect. With the new tyre - not exactly new since it was changed in May 2016, I didn't experience the front end instability/wobble and that restored some confidence back, to try trail-braking. I can now brake into turns, leaning and not experience those heart-in-mouth wobbles. Nonetheless, for the price of this bike and repair cost and timelines, I'm rather hesitant to ride hard as I dare or hard as others I ride with. In the back of my mind, I want to keep a cheaper track bike (if a track in western India does indeed happen), either an R-15 or RC200/390 , or the upcoming TVS Akula, maybe I'll buy one of these used and do my corner-craving antics on these, as crashing them won't be as mentally or financially painful. Not that I wouldn't love to keep an RSV4 as trackbike . Besides, my parking area is getting crowded so there's going to be some trouble keeping too many bikes - I'll work something out over the months.

Changed the headlamp bulbs to Osram Nightbreaker Plus, much better than OEM bulbs.

My new Nexx XR2 helmet still feels a bit tight, causing some earlobe ache but it's better today than last week. The upward vision improvement is helpful, though wind noise is higher than with the MT. The Nexx visor is much thicker so should be a useful barrier against impacts, and optically excellent. Visor removal/fitment mechanism is a bit fidgety, with a plastic clip each side, visor removal/fit doesn't take long, but other brands have easier mechanisms. It does fog up more than the MT, but comes with Pinlock in the box , which I didn't install and now with winter fading, don't need to. Yet to see how it works in rains, for fogging and sealing of the visor. It also has tear-off posts, but haven't found tear-off strips anywhere.

Couple of pics from recent ride, a motley of BHPians, RATs, and other riders.
Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-p_20170122_093241_1_p.jpg

Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-p_20170122_093311_1_p.jpg

Last edited by Ricci : 29th January 2017 at 19:53.
Ricci is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 21:43   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I thought it's a premature failure, having failed in just over 2 years, but I'm told superbike batteries last 2 years. The usual lead-acid batteries in our other cars/bikes have all done 4 years minimum...
My Iron 883's battery failed without warning in about 17 months after delivery. It was replaced under warranty by HD India. I am thinking of buying extended warranty... another battery failure will recover half the cost of warranty

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:42   #93
BHPian

Do you use a battery tender/ trickle charger? I would recommend one as my FZ1s batt is still going strong after 4+ years now....! It's a similar factory Yuasa battery.
Last year indeed was dry for me too as I did not ride much and this year seems similar as the heat is on already...! Sigh
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 22:26   #94
BHPian

Which trickle charger are you using? I'm still not convinced it's a justified purchase for most users, except the very infrequent user or those with long periods of non-use, like sailors away for months at a time ; or the occasional emergency when the battery charge drops too low even for otherwise regular use.
I'll also have to check how DIY is battery removal and refit.

Yes Crankpin, the heat has been turned on a bit early this year too. Although mornings have a slight chill before 7:00 or so, it quickly burns off past sunrise. Time to think of a mesh jacket and/or a cooling vest.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 14:17   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Which trickle charger are you using? I'm still not convinced it's a justified purchase for most users, except the very infrequent user or those with long periods of non-use, like sailors away for months at a time ; or the occasional emergency when the battery charge drops too low even for otherwise regular use.
I'll also have to check how DIY is battery removal and refit.
Ricci

I have used the following in the past and its quiet good. I am sure something similar should be available in India as well

Triumph Daytona 675 flies in! Welcome home, Ravensoul-trickle-charger.jpg

Amazon has a lot of choices as well - the search results for trickle chargers

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_1570...nid=3599823011

New ones costs around USD 25.00

The DIY bit of this can be cumbersome specially if you live in an apartment complex etc. Otherwise its fairly straightforward, you can get a sort of fixed charger leads (read as wires) to your battery and connect the trickle charger to that and you are done.

Trust this makes some sense

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 9th March 2017 at 14:19.
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote