Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 14th November 2014, 15:16   #76
BHPian

Default re: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT : Now SOLD

Thanks Ram and Haroon for frequenting this thread and helping other, appreciate it.

To me the weight definitely is an issue, tiger xc is almost 270kg wet, add the bags and pannier, xc its touching 300 kg+. This weight is a big problem if you have to walk the bike in any situation, I have to request a stranger to help me pull the bike up a small mount with all this weight :-(

-Pramod
pramods is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 07:41   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
This weight is a big problem if you have to walk the bike in any situation, I have to request a stranger to help me pull the bike up a small mount with all this weight :-(

-Pramod

Hi Pramod.

I can fully sympathise with you. I have a GS Adventure and honestly I rarely use the main stand. I strongly recommend that you get the side stand footprint extender (known as a fat foot in the GS accessory circles) and your life would be much easier.
plimsollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 15:24   #78
BHPian

Nagpur-Bhopal road NH47 is currently most beautiful 4 lane road at least till Betul. Did a 300 km solo ride on this road, attached are 3 snaps that I took while returning back.
You can see the 4 lanes road and almost no traffic
Attached Images

pramods is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 22:12   #79
BHPian

Default re: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT : Now SOLD

Nice to see you steadily piling up the miles on the Big Cat. Once you like them, you will always like to take the long way back home....

Another advantage of having Adventure bikes is you can spend more time riding than polishing the bike....the more dirty they are, they appeal better

Ride safe & have loads of fun
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 23:27   #80
BHPian

I used Reliance petrol for last 2 time(tank full) and got running average of 21 kmpl, this is a great surprise, used to get around 18-20 based on riding, while the last 2 were quite high speed with average speed of 80 know for a distance of 600+ kms.

Going to use this going forward, let me know if there is any other view or comments.

6K+ kms on odo, getting TPMS installed next week(provides Service comes down at Nagpur from Hyderabad).

-Pramod
Old 9th December 2014, 15:14   #81
BHPian

Update of TPMS : sensors on both the tyre are installed, setting for ECU, immobilizer and TPMS in instrument cluster are done, tested the system for low pressure, the low pressure warning is hard wired in the instrument cluster and cannot be changed!

This is a nice feature, can possibly save you from getting stuck with slow puncture in middle of nowhere.

-Pramod
pramods is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 14:38   #82
BHPian

Another weekend and another ride,Chindwara road, this is a 2 lane single carriageway recently tarred road, the road are really good and a treat to ride on Explorer, my son was my pillion ( he has been waiting to ride along, got him a good xtra small riding jacket). Nagpur to Saoner is 4 lane dual carriageway going toward Bhopal ( 4 lane till Betul) from Saoner toward Chindwara 2 lane single carriageway. Saoser and around 10 km from here is still under construction, mostly for over bridge to bypass the city, river bridge and railway over bridge. The ghat section (25 km before Chindwara) is too good to ride along , the sun was setting and the ghat section was too scenic, the road was freshly laid out and the bike was performing well.

Some snap along the ghat section,

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-img_20141214_163146small.jpg

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-img_20141214_163312small.jpg

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-img_20141214_163404small.jpg

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-img_20141214_163254small.jpg

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-img_20141214_163458_hdr_editsmall.jpg

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS-img_20141214_163528small.jpg

6900 kms on the odo meter, last to last weekend went to Chikaldhara, a round trip of 470kms, this week end it was 200 kms.
pramods is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 14:51   #83
BHPian

Recall Update: Tiger XC world wide has been recalled for side stand bolt failure, I got a call from Triumph Pune dealer about the recall notice. Incidentally they are going to be in Nagpur for other servicing related work and will be replacing this bolt on my tiger!

Current ODO reading is 8.2K kms and looking forward to 2 servicing after 10K in coming months, last Sunday saw a group of KTM riding(20+ bikes), its good to see so many KTM's on road, looks like KTM is going to be next Pulsar wave for Bajaj!

-Pramod

Recall Update: five minute job, go it replaced yesterday.
The service personnel visit to Nagpur was for Street Triple servicing, looked like this ST was involved in some small accident too. Arrow pipe was there too, not sure if this was the "packaged deal" for misleading ST owner or the owner has ordered seperatly. Would have loved to meet the owner of this STriple but he was no were there.

Triumph is having some sort of ride before IBW in Goa, the detailed will be shared by Triumph, anyway planning to be there for this Triumph ride?

-Pramod

Last edited by n_aditya : 16th January 2015 at 11:59. Reason: posts merged
Old 20th January 2015, 01:29   #84
BHPian

Great going Pramod. Nice to see the little warrior accompany you on your rides

BTW, one of the big names in premium guided adventure motorcycle tours, Globebusters, have recently changed their preferred riding partner from BMW to Triumph

http://www.adventurebiketv.com/#!mid-month-news/c1j4v
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 19:50   #85
BHPian

Update: Second servicing complete

Got the servicing done at 10254kms, the current odo reading is 10754 km. Rode to Hyderabad, got the service done and back to Nagpur same day. Total bill of 12k out of this 4k is labor charges, others oil (4ltrs), oil filter, air filter and rear brake pad.

Total distance : 1000 kms
Total riding hours : 13.45 hours
Average speed : 74.34 km/hr
Fuel efficiency: 20.5 kmpl
Total time : 20.5 hrs
Start time : 4AM
End time : 12.30 AM

The bike feels same, no change before or after service ride feeling, nonetheless this is real tourer and you can go on and on day in and day out. The headlights are real boon, they are good enough, I may change the bulb to Philips Xtreme Vision or something similar, only problem I see is the life of bulb, this is alway on the PhilipsX is low life and high out bulb.

Over all I am happy and looking for more long rides, planning to get soft panniers, the hard panniers are to noisy and rattles everything inside.

Got Hydration pack from Triumph, the quality is good and it worked out very well during return journey. You don't have to stop, pull out helmet and drink water anymore.

-Pramod
pramods is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 21:47   #86
BHPian

Pramods, that's a wonderful thread and a good looking bike. If(when?) i do get a chance to add to my motorcycle garage it will be a dual sport and a Tiger, albeit 800, was on the top of the list. How has your dealership/triumph experience been? I struggle to get even small things done. I lost the side stand spring and they dont have one in stock! Gave a jugaad in the centre stand spring.

My worry remains that in a dual sport i might need emergency help and Triumph while friendly, are not the most competent in India.

Edit: do consider the dirtsack frogman for the saddle bags. Ive used them for only 2000 odd kms but have found them good vfm.

Ride safe and i will continue to follow this thread.

Cheers,
Sting

Last edited by Sting : 15th March 2015 at 21:50. Reason: Saddle bag recommendation added
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 09:14   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Pramods, that's a wonderful thread and a good looking bike. ....
How has your dealership/triumph experience been? ....
Edit: do consider the dirtsack frogman for the saddle bags.
Cheers,
Sting
Thanks Sting, till date apart from scheduled servicing I never need any thing from dealer/service, hope this continues. I agree they possibly don't stock parts, I believe they only stock filters and some very common consumable.

Will have to first get some frame fabricated for soft pannier else they would rest on exhaust

-Pramod
pramods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 20:55   #88
BHPian

Hi Pramods!

Your thread is an inspiration to other tiger dreamers. Congratulations and keep those miles rolling. Very rare to see a big bike user actually 'USE' the machine, if you know what I mean. And that's why these big ADV machines make so much sense! Total gentleman's big bikes.

Does the XC have tube type or tubeless tyres? Why I ask is because with spoke wheels, tubeless wont work. And I doubt if a tube type will have a slow puncture. They usually deflate instantly right? Correct me if I am wrong.
Point is, if the XC has tube type tyres then the TPMS will be useful only for low pressure monitoring due to regular usage and not slow punctures. Thats my opinion.

Please let us know your thoughts. I am planning on an 800 XCX which has spoke wheels and tubed tyres. Info would be handy.

Happy Touring!
BuBooMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 14:52   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBooMan View Post
Hi Pramods!

Does the XC have tube type or tubeless tyres? Why I ask is because with spoke wheels, tubeless wont work. And I doubt if a tube type will have a slow puncture. They usually deflate instantly right? Correct me if I am wrong.......

Happy Touring!
Thanks, XC tires are tubeless, the rim are designed for spokes and be tubeless. XC 1200 is a heavy bike 800 XCx weight is still high but 60kg lighter than 1200 and that makes it better off road, go for it and you will enjoy the ride on or off road will not matter much.

-Pramod
Old 13th May 2015, 18:02   #90
BHPian

Hi Pramod,

Me too dreaming about the GSA for a long time, almost 5 years now, Have similar thoughts on shaft drive, ROI w.r.t GSA, this thread was really useful, thank you.

Its confusing to view reviews on various youtube videos, I essentially want a able offroader but at 39 years don't know if my skeleton structure with current flexibility levels will permit to do some interesting adventure biking, looks like given the price, availability and affordability Tiger explorer makes lot of sense.

Its just that KTM 1190 R may be launched in near future ( in 2015 itself ) but then again its not shaft drive!

Cheers
Sunil
hisunil is offline   Reply With Quote