Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 3rd October 2014, 19:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Will warranty void in case we install an after market exhaust?
Yes. Unless you are installing a Kawasaki approved after market part. Triumph sells Arrow performance parts officially and installing this does not void warranty AFAIK.

Quote:
Can you guys suggest a road legal slip on which has a good bass (& a bit loud) for Z800.

Akrapovic seems to be expensive at around 65K from PRS store. They have two brothers for 45K but that seems be no road legal.
Road legal? None of the aftermarket pipes comply with the legal sound ouput levels in India.

That said, do consider the M4 and Akrapovic (in that order). The M4 is bassy and the best sounding exhaust on an inline four engine IMHO. Akra's are nice too but 2nd in my list after the M4.

Please avoid using a growler (Racefit) or a megaphone exhaust. These are obscenely loud and you'll tire of them in a couple of months. Not to mention the torture others will have to endure as these pipes are really really loud, almost like a straight pipe from the engine manifold.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 14:08   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Was the Z1000 test ride not allowed because they dont have a spare?
As of now they dont have a spare and more than that i think they dont expect the Z1000 to sell in good numbers like the Z800. probably one 1000 for every 4or5 800s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Would like to ask you though, which thunderbird did you ride before the test ride of the Z800? RE or Triumph?

How i wish I could have gone on the Triumph Thunderbird. Then it would have been all the Kawasaki folks lining up to get a test ride from me than the other way round

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Rash, good to know that you have finally honed down to Z800 and Bonnie.
Just to add some flavour to the ongoings, why not considering the Street Tripple?
Avi The Z800 is so good that if i decide to buy that class of Bike(inline 3 or 4) i would not even look at any other Bike. Seriously its that good. If someone asked me if there is any SBK that is perfect for Indian conditions then it would have to this.

One area that i think Bonnie would triumph(no pun intended) over the Z is i think in the Riding position and the Seat comfort. Though i will reserve my comments till i do a proper ride of the Bonnie. Maybe that might clear my mind a bit or confuse me some more

But would have loved to have got your perspective on the Z800 Avi. Enjoyed reading your decision making process and the way you finally honed down on the Bonnie. Most of your needs on a Bike and your observations matched mine and those are the sort of things even i would have looked for.

Too bad that Kawasaki is yet to open a showroom in Hyderabad. But please let me know what you think of it if you do get a chance to ride the Z
Thanks!!
rashreddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 16:34   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
But would have loved to have got your perspective on the Z800 Avi. Enjoyed reading your decision making process and the way you finally honed down on the Bonnie. Most of your needs on a Bike and your observations matched mine and those are the sort of things even i would have looked for.

Too bad that Kawasaki is yet to open a showroom in Hyderabad. But please let me know what you think of it if you do get a chance to ride the Z
Iam sure all bikes in this category are superb. It better be after paying 8+ lakhs

It finally boils down to what each individual likes or is comfortable with. Another important decision is the "instant connect" like Djay99 had. He rode first the Z800 and got an instant connect with it. Then he rode the STripple and he didnt like it as much

This wow factor is most important and you should always lean towards that factor when purchasing a bike

For me, it was instant connect with Bonnie though I had rode a Street Tripple seconds before my test ride of Bonnie. So you see, its a matter of choice and also to some personal destiny

Will surely ride one if i get a chance and share my views. But, I havent seen a single Z800 in Hyderabad yet
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 18:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Yes. Unless you are installing a Kawasaki approved after market part. Triumph sells Arrow performance parts officially and installing this does not void warranty AFAIK.
This is what i like about triumph. They offer customization options and this will enhance over-all ownership experience.
Kawasaki guys are very lazy. They take light years to provide different colour options even though its a CBU import and then there are no accessories available in showroom. They have to learn a thing or two from Triumph and HD.
Quote:
Road legal? None of the aftermarket pipes comply with the legal sound ouput levels in India.
I thought EU approved one's are legal here. Also our law does not state much on the decibel limit and its 2/3 decade old.
Quote:
That said, do consider the M4 and Akrapovic (in that order). The M4 is bassy and the best sounding exhaust on an inline four engine IMHO. Akra's are nice too but 2nd in my list after the M4.
I am leaning towards Akra and Arrow. I will be buying it after few months since exhaust note is loud once past 5k RPM. Primary reason will be to reduce weight, more bass and then more power/torque.

Quote:
Please avoid using a growler (Racefit) or a megaphone exhaust.
Honestly i don't know what is a growler or megaphone exhaust
But will remove baffle if i ride on a track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
As of now they dont have a spare and more than that i think they dont expect the Z1000 to sell in good numbers like the Z800. probably one 1000 for every 4or5 800s
I guess they have a Z1000 for test ride. Please get in touch with dealership.
You may call Chetan 9844626731
Quote:
One area that i think Bonnie would triumph(no pun intended) over the Z is i think in the Riding position and the Seat comfort. Though i will reserve my comments till i do a proper ride of the Bonnie. Maybe that might clear my mind a bit or confuse me some more.
Bonnie is definitely comfy over Z800 any day because of soft seat plus upright riding position.
You can customize seat on a Z800 to make it a bit soft.
But they are from two different segments at different price points. Take a b2b test ride and decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It finally boils down to what each individual likes or is comfortable with. Another important decision is the "instant connect" like Djay99 had. He rode first the Z800 and got an instant connect with it. Then he rode the STripple and he didnt like it as much

This wow factor is most important and you should always lean towards that factor when purchasing a bike
I second Avi's opinion. Connection is important or else you will get bored with the bike after a few months and then repent on your decision.

I would suggest taking multiple test rides may be 3 or 4 times (as i did) to make sure that you are ok with every aspect of bike & your requirement.
Bike and fuel belongs to dealership, what's wrong in taking free test rides

Also WOW factor should be of utmost importance..
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 15:39   #80
Senior - BHPian

I got my Z800 delivered last month on a temporary registration.

Visited Jayanagar RTO (KA 05) last week to get permanent registration done.
RTO office was full of agents and i could see very few customers.

An inspector was seated on top floor and agents/dealership guy's were bringing two wheeler's, reading engine and chassis number and inspector would sign on a paper.

Kawasaki dealership appointed agent reached late by an hour as i was waiting with my Zee. I was asked to bring my Zee as inspector wanted to have a look. He asked agent to start my bike, rev it and then read out engine/chassis number. He had hell lot of attitude like some mla/minister i have seen. I told agent not to rev as i did not get the bike to satisfy an individual.

I asked agent to get me number 800 as i was ready to pay charges of 6K (RTO charges) for a choice number in running series. We went down to office to check running number and it had crossed 1200. Agent said if i pay 2K (bribe), he can get me another choice number to which i said no bribe and came out.

I could see road tax amount of Rs 110,000 in challan and few hundreds for registation.

An amount of 1.13L was paid to Kawasaki bangalore dealership towards Road tax, Registration, smart card and number plate charges. They have not charged me handling charges in region of 15 to 20K. Triumph price list had a handling charges of over 15K for Street Triple.

I will be getting a permanent number for my Zee by tomorrow.

Have clocked over 850KM and planning to get her serviced this weekend.

Last edited by djay99 : 7th October 2014 at 15:50.
djay99 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 15:53   #81
Senior - BHPian

Any input on Scorpion Serket slip on exhaust? It increases HP by 2 and reduces weight by 5KG. Some reviews on international forum say it sounds good.

http://www.jesterstrickbits.co.uk/pr...-Scorpion.html
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 10:42   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any input on Scorpion Serket slip on exhaust? It increases HP by 2 and reduces weight by 5KG. Some reviews on international forum say it sounds good.

Almost all exhausts sound great on an inline four engine. After market exhausts are lighter than stock so any such pipe will reduce weight and bump up power marginally.

IMHO, Akra's sound very nice and bassy and so do the M4's. Yoshi's are a tad quieter and less bassy.
Old 9th October 2014, 11:35   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Almost all exhausts sound great on an inline four engine. After market exhausts are lighter than stock so any such pipe will reduce weight and bump up power marginally.

IMHO, Akra's sound very nice and bassy and so do the M4's. Yoshi's are a tad quieter and less bassy.
Thanks Aditya. Z800 stock exhaust weighs 7.5KG. Why don't manufacturers use light weight exhausts?
Akra, Arrow, Ixil, Scorpion exhausts weigh between 2 to 2.5KG- massive difference when compared to weight of stock exhaust.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 12:36   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aditya. Z800 stock exhaust weighs 7.5KG. Why don't manufacturers use light weight exhausts?
Akra, Arrow, Ixil, Scorpion exhausts weigh between 2 to 2.5KG- massive difference when compared to weight of stock exhaust.
Yes the difference is massive owing to the cat-con system in the stock pipes.

Kawasaki calls this the clean air system where exhaust gases are recirculated inside the catcon to keep emissions low before they are forced out of the exhaust pipe.
Old 9th October 2014, 13:56   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kawasaki calls this the clean air system where exhaust gases are recirculated inside the catcon to keep emissions low before they are forced out of the exhaust pipe.
..hence, most importantly, robbing performance by passing the exhaust gas through all those restrictions!

Also, all the stock exhausts are crudely made of heavy steel(or aluminium?) to keep the production cost low. Aftermarket exhausts however doesnt have this restiction and can use more exotic and lightweight materials.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 9th October 2014 at 14:03.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 15:21   #86
BHPian

Quote:

I also read reports on forums where people reported losing out on some bottom end after switching to an aftermark slip-on with the stock ECU. Not sure how true it is though.

Last edited by TheCelestial : 9th October 2014 at 15:35. Reason: grammar
TheCelestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 18:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
I also read reports on forums where people reported losing out on some bottom end after switching to an aftermark slip-on with the stock ECU. Not sure how true it is though.
Well, the stock ECU will compensate/calibrate itself for addition of a slip-on, but has its own limitations. Beyond a point, a standalone ECU is required.

For example, with the addition of a few aftermarket bits such as a full exhaust system, intake modifications such as high flow air filters, etc. the need for a standalone ECU to manage fueling is required. A power commander such as the PC5 allows for better power management and the user can also explore custom maps to tweak power output at the required RPM range.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 20:45   #88
Senior - BHPian

First service completed for my Z800 when odo was 985KM. Current odo reading is 1050KM.

Oil and oil filter was changed. Bike was washed and polished, chain was cleaned and few small adjustment were done like clutch cable, brake lever etc.

Labour charge for service was 2500 before tax and it included labour charges for oil, oil filter change and washing.
I was charged extra for chain cleaning, polishing and consumables like coolant.
Total amount paid was ~7200 INR.

Air filter will be cleaned during next service.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 19:26   #89
Senior - BHPian

Few pics taken during first service of my Z800:

Oil was drained. I was surprised to see colour of oil (dark brown) after usage of just 985KM. It was like completely burnt.
Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-20141011_140828optimized.jpg

Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-20141011_140838optimized.jpg

Motul Fully Synthetic 10W40 oil (3.4L) was filled.

Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-20141011_142043optimized.jpg

Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-20141011_142216optimized.jpg

A brand new green-black combo Kawasaki Z800 was parked in service centre. It was to be delivered to a customer in Chennai. This was 2015 model.
It appeared that green colour on this bike was different than the other kawasaki models like Z1000 or ZX14R. I liked 2014 colour scheme more than this one.
I some how felt black looked better than the 2015 green colour combo

Zee comes home - My 2014 Kawasaki Z800-20141011_111702optimized.jpg
djay99 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 09:23   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Few pics taken during first service of my Z800:
I liked 2014 colour scheme more than this one.
I some how felt black looked better than the 2015 green colour combo

Attachment 1299349
The green colour is the same in 2014 and 2015.
The differences between this and 2014 scheme are,
1. Green Mudguard instead of Black on 2014
2. Black side panel instead of Green on 2014
3. Black seat instead of Green on 2014
4. Green Tail instead of Black on 2014

Frankly, I like the 2015 more than 2014 (except perhaps the Green Mudguard). The green seat doesnt look all that great and is really hard to maintain and the green tail looks much better.
TheCelestial is offline   Reply With Quote