Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread

Old 22nd July 2015, 12:59   #211
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Honda to assemble CBR 650 in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
800K is not actually cheap.

...let me stop here mate.
Only our Indian market have that exorbitant price tag which is not really the primary target market of the bike. In short, the 650F is neither made FOR India nor made IN India. So yea.. Lets stop here.
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:17   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Latest Update:
I have waited 8 years for this day to come and have saved for the last 2 years for the down payment. 50-60K is not a deal breaker for me in the grand scheme of things. That does not mean that I don't feel this bike is overpriced. It is overpriced but then looking at what I have, I still feel it makes the most sense to me. It still is not perfect, but then no bike is and there are few things I would have loved on it, but this is the closest that comes to what I want, in my budget.
Congrats (in advance) Rachit. Guess we will be reading your ownership review first

I've been waiting for it ever since they showed it at the last Auto expo. But the 'saving' part didn't go according to plan :( So I am mostly going for a Loan (IDBI?).

I have a dilemma. I'm definitely booking the bike on Aug 4th if OTR Bangalore price is less than 8L. But what if OTR Bangalore comes up to 9L ? Should I go ahead? Maybe not. But then, whats the point of waiting for 2 odd years, watching upteen vids on youtube, reading each international review a couple of times, all the discussion on tbhp...
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:57   #213
BHPian

Only in this country will a twin spar styled frame with a lightweight aluminium swingarm be termed a poor handling one and a commuter oriented steel backbone frame with a boxy steel section swingarm be termed a sporty one.

You need to watch European Junior cup races where these poor handling bikes are taken to their limits by teenagers from all over Europe, with almost everyone elbow scraping through high speed turns.

The forks are still the stock Showa ones, but the inner parts are swapped with Andreani's cartridge setup that you can buy for 40K INR and the rear shock with an Ohlins 46 series shock(another 40k) to suit riders of all shapes and sizes and offer more adjustability since each rider has their own crew members to do the adjusting bits for them.
The Termignoni race exhaust adds another 5hp to the rear wheel hp.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 22nd July 2015 at 19:58.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:50   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Only in this country will a twin spar styled frame with a lightweight aluminium swingarm be termed a poor handling one and a commuter oriented steel backbone frame with a boxy steel section swingarm be termed a sporty one.
Sorry if I missed something, but what gave you the idea that it is a general impression?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 23rd July 2015 at 11:52.
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:13   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if that's the case where I proceed to change the fork & rear suspension add a juice box to it, then what's the fun in paying those BIG ones to buy a bare-bone jack of all master of none?

And then work backwards to fit an ABS? and what next?
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:41   #216
Senior - BHPian

The 650F ABS version is not exactly value for money in any market. Even in the US, its about $9,000+ which is way above primary competitors like FZ07, Ninja 650, Suzuki 650. So the value for money factor is pointless to discuss.

In India, the closest is Ninja which is a twin, has no ABS and already showing its age. So if someone in the market for an inline, wants a modern looking and needs safety features, CBR fits the bill, though at a premium. Other options are Street T and Monster 795, Benelli 600i.

On serious note, we need more 600ish bikes in the market.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 23rd July 2015 at 15:44.
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:08   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
And then work backwards to fit an ABS? and what next?
I think it comes standard with ABS. Pretty sure Honda wont be skimping on this. The brakes it seems are pretty good too; both bite and feel

Also; not sure where the "poor handling" comes from. Every review I have seen / read points towards a very sorted ride + handling package. The only drawback highlighted was that the foot pegs scrape the tarmac whilst cornering hard
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:46   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I think it comes standard with ABS. Pretty sure Honda wont be skimping on this. The brakes it seems are pretty good too; both bite and feel
Let me keep my thoughts to myself and wait for the actual launch to happen.
Will stop procrastinating about vehicles that have not been launched as i see that my thoughts offends people
Old 24th July 2015, 08:31   #219
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Replicas and knockoffs will always undercut all new products. The Benellis are sourcing discarded Yamaha engine and Aprilia frame so they have nothing to do with the R&D costs. Their only constraint is manufacturing and that in a country like China where skilled laborers work for peanuts is like a money minting heaven regardless of what you want to manufacture. Its why GoPro, Iphones and other big names source their chips from there.
There is also a CBR 250R replica sold in Chennai that is imported from China and that undercuts Indian Made CBR by a few thousands.

Also the same Benelli 600I sells for 3.84 lakhs INR in South Africa

Only way to keep premium low is to give rise to multiple bikes using the same platform like the CBR 400 and 500 F/R/X and KTM Duke and RC series.
unless Honda provides a gold plated tank, it doesn't justify the premium. benelli may be a Chinese product, may have a Yamaha clone engine, but it does have quality components and a butter smooth motor, all at a digestible price.
Honda had the same strategy with the 250 and even with the Karizma when launched. I believe Honda and Toyota share pricing stragies in India, after all Indians are ready to pay more money for a batch.
Old 27th July 2015, 10:12   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Congrats (in advance) Rachit. Guess we will be reading your ownership review first

I've been waiting for it ever since they showed it at the last Auto expo. But the 'saving' part didn't go according to plan :( So I am mostly going for a Loan (IDBI?).

I have a dilemma. I'm definitely booking the bike on Aug 4th if OTR Bangalore price is less than 8L. But what if OTR Bangalore comes up to 9L ? Should I go ahead? Maybe not. But then, whats the point of waiting for 2 odd years, watching upteen vids on youtube, reading each international review a couple of times, all the discussion on tbhp...
Thanks brother. I have pre-booked mine. Delivery is promised in August. Will cancel the booking if I dont like it, although the chances are very slim for that.

I had the exact same question. For me ideal price of this bike was 7.5 on road with hefty margin for Honda. 8 on road was pushing it quite a bit. More than 8 on road is something that will always give me a feeling of being fleeced. So I put this question to my more mature friends and I was hoping they would give a nod to the Daytona. But they didnt.
In my case Daytona is a very uncomfortable stretch. The riding position is quite aggressive and pillion wouldnt be welcome at all. That leaves me with no major options. I loved the engine of the Z800, but the idea of owning a naked still does not sink in. So basically I have only three options either to wait for some other good bike (Maybe Ninja636@12.5 Lakhs) or gather more money or get this one and somehow chose this.

I am just hoping I like it after the test ride. One thing I know, most people will like this bike. Whatever it does not have, most of us wouldnt be able to miss it on our roads. What price you are ready to pay for it, is your call. I didnt have much options, plus I had already done all the hard work of getting parents, wife, parent in law alligned. Didnt want to wait more.

Test ride it and then decide.

By the way, for loan I am getting a decent deal from HDFC. You can check with them.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Old 27th July 2015, 14:34   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Thanks brother. I have pre-booked mine. Delivery is promised in August. Will cancel the booking if I dont like it, although the chances are very slim for that.
Rachit

Went to Silicon Honda today and booked mine as well. 50k refundable. There were 2 other bookings already. They've put a 'Wing World' logo outside the showroom. The premium display area inside was still being built.

Finance options are still being worked out. HDFC rates are not out yet. The Tata capital guy at the showroom said that they may be able to offer a loan at 8% PA. A week for delivery once bike is launched.

They still don't know the price. The sales advisor who had quoted 7.85 OTR Bangalore last time I checked is now asking me to expect 9 OTR. Told him very clearly that if it is 9 OTR, I am taking back my booking amount and heading straight to the Kawasaki Showroom

If Honda is listening: Please price it at 7.5 OTR Bangalore. The increased volumes will more than make up for the reduced price
loki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 15:41   #222
Senior - BHPian

Is no one considering the Ducati Monster 795? Its almost around that price. Any reason not to?
Old 27th July 2015, 16:17   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Is no one considering the Ducati Monster 795?

Its almost around that price. Any reason not to?
1) 2 cylinder
2) naked
3) costlier a.s.s.
4) limited no of showrooms
Old 27th July 2015, 16:20   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Is no one considering the Ducati Monster 795? Its almost around that price. Any reason not to?
I had the same thought. I have been waiting for a decent mid segment bike, I love nakeds and I love touring, for this reason i looking for a good touring machine or a naked which can be made more touring friendly, Scrambler and Monster 795 makes a lot of sense. They are even in the same price bracket, or even lesser than the expected price of the upcoming CBR 650f and even Versys 650.
But when I think about Ducati, the thought of ASS makes me shudder, I would like wait and let the time tell us more about the Ducati's service. No doubt they look magnificent, but I would want more peace of mind during my ownership. I feel Kawasaki and Honda, even though not class leading, does a better job on that.
Old 27th July 2015, 16:48   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
1) 2 cylinder
2) naked
3) costlier a.s.s.
4) limited no of showrooms
But, worldwide Ducatis have the pull and repel factors. Just that since it is an outgoing model, the prices in India have suddenly become attractive for the Monster.
Closed Thread