Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 24th November 2014, 10:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Green is the new Black: My 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Thanks BlackPearl. What do you ride now and why did you sell yours ? Any tips on maintaining the 650 ?
Subham, I bought the motorcycle when I was New Jersey and rode it for around 14 months and 15000 miles. My visa expired and I had to leave US, so sold the bike off before coming back to India. The bike is a workhorse, it just needs regular oil change which I started doing myself because of the ridiculous labour charges in US. Apart from that I changed the Bridgestone Battlax tyres to Michelin Pilot Power at around 8000 miles and changed the chain at the same time. You can find my ownership thread here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...a-650r-ex.html (Blackpearl goes green - the Green Goblin (2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R EX ))
The tyres made a lot of difference to the handling of the bike. I rode the bike even in -20 degrees Celsius and can say it is one heck of a bike. The only con is the engine sound. It sounds very tame.
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 10:56   #17
BHPian

Thanks I will read your thread. Didn't you have trouble removing the fairing ? I am not a fan of exhaust note but its also makes its less noticeable to cops too. How much did you pay (back then) for oil change ? My dealer quoted only $17 (i guess it does not include labor).
shubhamAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new Kwaker of a bike. I tend to envy you guys riding on great roads with drivers/ riders/ pedestrians all following rules. Unlike Namma Bangalore. I suppose it makes for more relaxed riding.
I have bought a pre worshiped 650 a few weeks ago and have changed the brake pads to EBC extreme pro on Saturday. Haven't really bedded them in till now so no comments but the service center guys were telling me I had done the right thing. Mirrors and sound are sore points too. Even my 250 cc 2 stroke Yezdi had more character in the exhaust note. I ride 2 up and find it has the juice to cruise effortlessly at 100 - 120 kmph all day. Tried going faster but didn't feel comfortable on our roads.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 00:15   #19
BHPian

@kraft wagen: Thanks, Yes I am in Fremont, CA.
@goandude: Thanks. I did read your review. Really like your style of writing. I would go for parts change slowly. Here labor costs can be upto $100/hour. For eg. A $90 Frame Slider had a $100 labor charge! I may get upgrades later on, as of now getting an exhaust which improves the sound note without raising the dB levels seem to be my priority. I am not sure if i can put a slip-on on my own but that's the route i will take.

Riding here is less stressful but there is always a fear of getting pulled over or being hit (even here), there are crazy drivers in all geographies. Driving a bit fast is safer than crazy truckers who zig-zag between lanes. And then every 3rd driver does not use turn signals properly. Not to sound stereotypical but i am very wary of Prius and Minivan drivers. Among bikers, Cruiser riders seem to be better riders (and they have the courtesy to initiate or respond to biker salute). Another thing i noticed that riders who do their sorties in shorts and t-shirts are more reckless than those who are fully covered.
Old 25th November 2014, 07:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@kraft wagen: Thanks, Yes I am in Fremont, CA.
@goandude: For eg. A $90 Frame Slider had a $100 labor charge! I may get upgrades later on, as of now getting an exhaust which improves the sound note without raising the dB levels seem to be my priority. I am not sure if i can put a slip-on on my own but that's the route i will take.

Riding here is less stressful but there is always a fear of getting pulled over or being hit (even here), there are crazy drivers in all geographies. Driving a bit fast is safer than crazy truckers who zig-zag between lanes. And then every 3rd driver does not use turn signals properly. Not to sound stereotypical but i am very wary of Prius and Minivan drivers. Among bikers, Cruiser riders seem to be better riders (and they have the courtesy to initiate or respond to biker salute). Another thing i noticed that riders who do their sorties in shorts and t-shirts are more reckless than those who are fully covered.
Thanks.

Thats a lot of money for labor.

The 650s after 2012 have a one piece exhaust system so you cannot slip on a slip on. But I'll be watching this space for your mods.
My limited experience with riders/ drivers in the US has been 2 weeks in Hawaii, where I found most were very disciplined, but I suppose this cannot be typical of continental US.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 07:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Thanks.

My limited experience with riders/ drivers in the US has been 2 weeks in Hawaii, where I found most were very disciplined, but I suppose this cannot be typical of continental US.
Bay Area traffic and esp SF is crazy. I think high density traffic evokes the same response from people all over. In general every one is disciplined but little annoyances are not hard to miss.
Old 8th December 2014, 19:55   #22
BHPian

Happy riding Shubham!
I have been riding one since the last 3 months and loving it!
Your point on the mirrors is spot on.
I used this solution and works very well for me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Ext...item3a9bb5c828

It's a DIY - No need to pay expensive labour!
viper_711 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 11:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
A big push came when a friend bought a RE Classic 500 from the Fremont dealer. That was the first time i went to a bike showroom in the US. But heck what i need to go through the licensing process again and/or the safety course.

Next step, get licensed. I took the CMSP Basic Rider Course in Newark.
[/left]
[/center]
Congrats buddy on your new bike. I'm currently in fremont blvd itself. You know i see this Kawasaki Zx6r everyday near my office and I'm blown away. That's my favorite bike and in real she looks super hot in my opinion. Anyways can you please message me the contact details of your bike training academy with the cost you incurred so that I can check with them too.

Thanks and happy riding.
pratap.pratu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 12:43   #24
BHPian

Hi Pratap, Nice to see that you are in Fremont Blvd.
Check this link: http://ca-msp.org/Default.aspx . Enter your ZIP code for the closest location. For Fremont, they have the riding classes in Newark and a theory in Hayward. Course fees is $250. Plus, get full gloves, ankle length sturdy shoes (no canvas/sneakers) and a helmet (optional but better to get your own). Lets catch up and i will give you more information.