Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 8th December 2014, 10:19   #421
BHPian

This is what i came across while looking for performance parts for the Bonneville.
This is a power restrictor kit to bring down the power to 34ps. Where and how it fits i have no clue but it looks simple ans cheap enough a part to be re-engineered to 61ps.
Could TI be using something like this in the Bonnies? or even ST for that matter.
If one types 'restrictor kit for triumph' on google then it leads to lots of websites selling these.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!-1418013830653.jpg  

argchoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 10:42   #422
BHPian

Default Re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
That depends on what the options were. If they're amenable to 'buying out' the others by offering upgrades of hardware or freebies or even free upgrade to next models, and you are Mr.I-want-my-106bhp - you might actually be the most unreasonable because that may be the only thing they cannot actually do. The others may cost the company a bit, but that shouldn't be a huge issue as there really isn't a very large number of customers involved.

They may be able to buy-back or upgrade for free - what if they cannot offer UK-specs at all? Then you would be the most unreasonable, wouldn't you?

Take the money and get out, if you can.
I have an alternate view on this. Asking for a 106bhp bike will not be unreasonable. They are manufactured, albeit not in India. The can be imported CBU, post ARAI certification i'm guessing. So it can be done, rather it should be demanded if that's what it gets down to. Asking for what was promised and what was paid for and what actually does exist might not be unreasonable. Just my 2 cents.
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 11:56   #423
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That depends on what the options were.
Options are pathetic and i am not getting into details since it was over the table discussion which may or may not happen.

Quote:
They may be able to buy-back or upgrade for free - what if they cannot offer UK-specs at all? Then you would be the most unreasonable, wouldn't you?
Say that give me my money back then.

Quote:
Take the money and get out, if you can.
I already said pay me the money, here are your keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
If I may ask, what are the 3 options that they are giving?

Pardon me if they've already been listed before. I din't come across them
Options are pathetic and i am not getting into details since it was over the table discussion which may or may not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
This is what i came across while looking for performance parts for the Bonneville.
==========
If one types 'restrictor kit for triumph' on google then it leads to lots of websites selling these.
No these are restrictor kit to be used during Learning period, mechanical installation which restricts throttle. This is not what is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
. Asking for what was promised and what was paid for and what actually does exist might not be unreasonable. Just my 2 cents.
And this is my point. Now i am in two minds, to return the bike and get rid off the headache...
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 12:25   #424
Senior - BHPian

Atlast, this Triumph's Indian episode story is making its way to the international sites too.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...gle/25980.html

Last edited by man_of_steel : 8th December 2014 at 12:32.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 12:35   #425
BHPian

Interesting find argchoff. Now...I don't think Triumph's manufacturing and testing processes allow them to maintain so many geo-specific "versions" of their bikes. The KISS process should require them to build, test and improve on a single version for each model and then add additional components to make the bikes comply with local regulations.

All rated BHP / Torque figures are at a certain RPM. Could they have added a "Throttle Restrictor" like argchoff has unearthed, to bring down the build potential of the engines? In that case, will it be a simple case identifying and pulling out this offending piece of junk? Food for thought!
Jayant06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 12:44   #426
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
And Imran it would 2.33 Lakhs for 9.16 i paid, plus compensate me for cheating me of my dream and i will let them go off at 4 lakhs? Fair enough? But let us see....
This is sure going to be interesting and a landmark move. While the figure mentioned by you is fair. Triumph could simply refund back the full amount and resell the vehicle for say a 3 l depreciated value in the market. It all depends on how they wish to treat the customers and on them being seriously committed to paying the penalty for their mistake or otherwise.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 12:49   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Atlast, this Triumph's Indian episode story is making its way to the international sites too.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...gle/25980.html
Patronising comments there by the white warriors who seem more eager to deflect criticism from a euro brand than to sympathise with the plight of fellow riders elsewhere.

We shouldn't expect any support from the international community, and should learn to fight our own wars. At the end of the day this brand has cheated customers and all their hallowed history cannot make up for the fact that they lied.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 13:14   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Patronising comments there by the white warriors who seem more eager to deflect criticism from a euro brand than to sympathise with the plight of fellow riders elsewhere.

We shouldn't expect any support from the international community, and should learn to fight our own wars. At the end of the day this brand has cheated customers and all their hallowed history cannot make up for the fact that they lied.
Exactly what I was about to say. Those hypocritic imperialistic snobs would have made it a big issue if an Indian company or any company from a 'third world' country had made even a 2-3 Bhp of mess up, but a 28HP or a 26% HP cheating to the Indians from their beloved Brit brand is perfectly okay.
When our own Western slave media stays mum on an issue like this, we shouldn't expect anything from their masters.
Similar horrible behaviour was seen on the triumphrat forums in a thread created about this same issue.
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 13:14   #429
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu and all T owners...

I feel the way out of this is not a win-win situation, this is turning out to be a case of a marriage gone sour and before ammends could be done - went from sour to BAD aka divorce.

1) I dont think even of a 1Lac to 2Lac cash settlement for all T owners in India (out of court and across dealer table) you guys (Owner-Dealer) cannot see eye-to-eye for next many years of ownership/repairs/service meets.

2) Resale value in the niche 'sbk' segment would/already taken a hit due to all this bad experience - just like DSK Vs Hyonsung stories

3) Find out the jurisdiciton of T India HQ, form a owners group and take them to court to buy back/full refund of all bikes ever sold under wrong figures or at least a OTR/soldbhp*actualbhp theory from previous pages
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 13:15   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yep, saw that. I was almost expecting that particular (Indians wont know the power difference) comment when I moved on to the comments section and I was not disappointed (or disappointed? Not sure..).
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 13:27   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Very true , except for few posts at page 3 - everything else is so ..

http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-mo...customers.html
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 14:40   #432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant06 View Post
In that case, will it be a simple case identifying and pulling out this offending piece of junk? Food for thought!
A BIG NO! This is confirmed by Triumph itself, why are we debating. Restrictions are elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
This is sure going to be interesting and a landmark move. While the figure mentioned by you is fair. T
========It all depends on how they wish to treat the customers and on them being seriously committed to paying the penalty for their mistake or otherwise.
Yup and i don't care how they do it, give full refund or partial and let me keep the bike.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Exactly what I was about to say.
=========
Similar horrible behaviour was seen on the triumphrat forums in a thread created about this same issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Very true , except for few posts at page 3 - everything else is so ..
====
http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-mo...customers.html
Lol i was getting butchered there initially but soon they understood the logic, esp the mod chap who saved my behinds. But that is ok, for them it is very difficult to understand this kind of blatant cheating can happen. Add to that they are all passionate Triumph owners, i knew what i was getting into when i received the first reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
3) Find out the jurisdiciton of T India HQ, form a owners group and take them to court to buy back/full refund of all bikes ever sold under wrong figures or at least a OTR/soldbhp*actualbhp theory from previous pages
Kept as last option, now we are gentlemen sitting across table and discussing maturely.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th December 2014 at 14:43.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 15:59   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Lol i was getting butchered there initially but soon they understood the logic, esp the mod chap who saved my behinds. But that is ok, for them it is very difficult to understand this kind of blatant cheating can happen. Add to that they are all passionate Triumph owners, i knew what i was getting into when i received the first reply
You have the patience of a monk!

If you are contemplating returning the motorcycle it might be worth asking if you are unhappy with your Street Triple OR are unhappy with Triumph. If the answer is the latter, why not ask for a settlement (..in you favour!) and keep the bike. That way you'll be fueling your love for motorcyclying with a good bike and having a bank account to take the wifey for an international holiday?

I would have reacted very emotionally had I been in the shoes (seats?) of the Stripple owners. I'm sure I would have contemplated returning the bike. But as I see the situation from the sidelines I do see sense in taking a settlement and keeping the bike. And I maintain my original stand, ask for a settlement in your favour. Nothing, and I mean nothing is in favour of Triumph. You are in a VERY strong negotiating position.

I'm not sure I agree with the 'refund' school of thought (ex showroom+registration+insurance etc etc). Triumph has cheated owners. It won't be a settlement unless they are paying for their lie- over and above the cost of the motorcycle.

BTW, while I have mentioned my story in the past pages here's the update. I have decided to pick up the Bonneville unless the dealer decides to screw up.
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 16:50   #434
Senior - BHPian

So till now no solid plan of action or update from them?
Anyone filed case against them or all are waiting for someone else to file a case?
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 17:29   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
So till now no solid plan of action or update from them?
Anyone filed case against them or all are waiting for someone else to file a case?
Yeah even I wonder, nobody has gone legal against them yet as this has been going on for a while now? (this is not to instigate anyone against the brand)

In other economies (the developed one's) - I don't think anyone would wait for what solution the company would offer, they'd be all over the company with tonnes of law suits/compensation claims etc.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote