Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 14th December 2014, 23:37   #496
BANNED

Default Re: Triumph India: Sold Bikes in India with fake performance figures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Arrows being aftermarket pipes but sold by the Triumph dealers as official accessories, the question really is, is it within India's noise regulations? Other brands get aftermarket pipes from 3rd parties, not official dealers.
Really? Guess you haven't seen any Harley bikes with Screaming Eagles around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Is the bike still street legal after these modifications.

If god forbid there is an accident, won't the insurance company automatically cancel the coverage?
And the insurance company knows of the mods how?

Are you guys serious?

Cheers

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 23:40   #497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
And the insurance company knows of the mods how?

Are you guys serious?

Cheers

Ride Safe
When there is an accident there is almost always an inspection.
The Insurance surveyor is specifically trained to check for these sort of things. That is his job.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 00:04   #498
BANNED

Quote:
The Insurance surveyor is specifically trained to check for these sort of things. That is his job.
I would love to meet a surveyor who can identify any one or all three of the mods I mentioned.

Well, I suppose, if they really didn't want to pay you, they could cite you for not being legal without a saree guard. Haven't seen very many bikes retain them.

Are we discussing a midsize sedan here, or a superbike? C'mon guys, get real.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 15th December 2014, 00:09   #499
BHPian

Quote:

The after-market parts(exhaust,frame sliders,levers..etc) wont be covered under insurance since it is an accessory according to rules.But if you have good rapport with the showroom guys it is not at all an issue to claim after-market parts under insurance as well(showroom guys should include the value of aftermarket bits in the repair invoice for this).

Our insurance surveyors are not yet trained to deal with SBK claims.The service centres word will be final for them(even if it means replacing parts for a minor scratch).Very less number of insurance claims related to big bikes might be a reason for this!

Last edited by harsha.muvva : 15th December 2014 at 00:19.
harsha.muvva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 00:38   #500
Senior - BHPian

gthang, exactly what is your point? That owners should shut up and take it? Or that other people who haven't been directly impacted should not create a fuss about such blatant and obvious misrepresentation of facts?

Really don't get where this is going. If the only point here is to indicate the existence of a different point of view, so be it - every issue can be viewed from several different viewpoints. However, at some point it becomes equivalent to trivialising what is originally a genuine problem, and the issue here is definitely not trivial.

We could argue till the cows come home on whether the airbox can be modified with a knife (butter, kitchen, chef's, swiss?), and whether this would liberate the allegedly asphyxiated horses. The manufacturer certainly has not said so, and AFAIK has not until now offered healthier horses to those that actually put in their hard earned money to buy less than what was promised.

The primary issue is that of trust, and that cannot be reclaimed by asking people to cut plastic boxes with a knife.
Steeroid is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 00:42   #501
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
The EU exhaust isn't being sold here, since it doesn't meet the noise emission regulation, I'm told. I don't know if Triumph will import those as part of the deal for St3 owners, since they're offering Arrows. This will bring the power to 106hp with a remap+Arrow+airbox, as Jaggu seems to be have been told. My point was, there will be some who expected 106hp out of the box, then get some more via a remap+Arrow.

Arrows being aftermarket pipes but sold by the Triumph dealers as official accessories, the question really is, is it within India's noise regulations? Other brands get aftermarket pipes from 3rd parties, not official dealers.
DSK offers the machine gun style revolving end exhaust that are surely not legal considering the racket they make. Official dealer offering non standard component example. Agree on the 106++ view. But money could make up for it if over and above 106 arranged by dealer.

Quote:
Is the bike still street legal after these modifications.

If god forbid there is an accident, won't the insurance company automatically cancel the coverage?
The are surely entitled to as in many other cases. You are riding something that has more power than certified by ARAI.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 02:50   #502
BANNED

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support: You have been warned before. Do NOT TROLL on Team-BHP.

Last edited by GTO : 15th December 2014 at 09:17.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 15th December 2014, 08:19   #503
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha, did any of you read this article on RiderZone - http://riderzone.in/what-happened-3rd-december-2014/

Did Triumph really do that? Damn, what a PR agency.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 08:55   #504
J.B
BHPian

@ gthang

The intent my friend is wooing customers looking for a 100+bhp naked bike by misrepresenting the facts and increasing their sales.

If it was a honest mistake on their part, they should be more shocked than anyone else to let this happen and offer an apology for such a blunder publicly and offer a full buy back or replace the bikes with the specs they advertised them for. That is how any company will work in the rest of the world.

But their attitude following the fallout has not been direct and honest as you would find in this thread (various high headed facebook posts, deleted comments, dealer offering deals then taking them back etc).

If you feel the recent deal they have offered is reasonable and no one should complain, please make the offers public and if they are really generous, it would only earn them some good will. Even then, it doesnt absolve them of the initial goof up and they still owe an apology for the heart burn caused to the customers.

Last edited by GTO : 15th December 2014 at 09:18. Reason: Quoted post deleted
J.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 09:21   #505
Senior - BHPian

What's the deal for a new Street Tripple?If it is the same, that is MRP+10k = 106bhp, then existing owners should sell back their bike at MRP, thus getting rid of the heavy depreciation. If they are so smitten by its performance and what not (as suggested by some passionate posts above), they should buy a new one. This is a good strategy for someone who wants to keep the bike.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 09:22   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, what exactly is different in the bike?
1. Restricted airbox. Nothing a sharp blade can't fix.
2. Restricted exhaust. Option to switch to Arrow or buy stock Euro market exhaust.
3. Camshafts. Not confirmed since no one has opened their engine to check yet. You can change that as well for the money being offered.

So, now you have a Street Triple as promised with baseline of 106.

If the Indian bikes have no camshaft change, why would the owners not get the same bump in output with an unrestricted airbox and Arrow?

Not sure I understand the disappointment you are talking about.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Lot of arguments on the previous page- as to the solutions offered by Triumph. Is there any official offer, or just that the owners have been contacted by dealers with their own suggestions? What if Triumph says later that there was no official offer made, and those who went with dealer offers missed to read the 'disclaimers'.

And I really don't get this point of 'fixing' the STriple to 106hp and how that is sufficient enough for the existing owners who have been cheated. Opening the restricted air box with a knife, buying aftermarket exhausts, camshaft change? On a brand new bike they bought, just to get the promised performance?

If a restaurant serves half cooked food, how is it compensation in anyway if they promise to add garnishing on top, for no added money? Or offer to come to your home and help microwave it till cooked?

Here owners did not get what they payed for. Simple. Aftermarket jobs voiding warranty and making the bike illegal are just not good enough solutions for the 'mistake' they have made!

By the way- anyone has an idea how many STriples would have been sold in India till date?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th December 2014 at 09:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 09:29   #507
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B View Post
@ gthang

The intent my friend is wooing customers looking for a 100+bhp naked bike by misrepresenting the facts and increasing their sales.
Is this known for a fact? That the dealers and others at Triumph knew that the bikes were 79bhp and deliberately sold them as 106? I think not.
Quote:
If it was a honest mistake on their part, they should be more shocked than anyone else to let this happen and offer an apology for such a blunder publicly and offer a full buy back or replace the bikes with the specs they advertised them for. That is how any company will work in the rest of the world.
If you know the difficulties in importing, the near impossible task of re-exporting, certifications involved, etc., etc, in India, it makes it very difficult for any company to act like the rest of the world.

Not to mention that the total sales in India might not exceed a single dealership in some countries.
Quote:
But their attitude following the fallout has not been direct and honest as you would find in this thread (various high headed facebook posts, deleted comments, dealer offering deals then taking them back etc).

If you feel the recent deal they have offered is reasonable and no one should complain, please make the offers public and if they are really generous, it would only earn them some good will. Even then, it doesnt absolve them of the initial goof up and they still owe an apology for the heart burn caused to the customers.
I have also mentioned that the spin doctoring after the fact was not the smartest move they have done.

BUT, the offers they are making sound reasonable to ME. I am not stopping anyone from complaining. I am only responding to direct questions regarding the offers.

Sad to say that not only is the Big bike market not mature enough in India, but lot of the customers are not too, either. I know I will get flak for this, but I say what I feel.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 15th December 2014, 09:48   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hahaha, did any of you read this article on RiderZone - http://riderzone.in/what-happened-3rd-december-2014/

Did Triumph really do that? Damn, what a PR agency.
This is how someone else dealt with Vodafone in a similar situation.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&so...lHZTNaNx6jkBhw
anilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 10:44   #509
J.B
BHPian

Quote:
Is this known for a fact? That the dealers and others at Triumph knew that the bikes were 79bhp and deliberately sold them as 106? I think not.
Dude, I do not understand why do you want to think otherwise. Prima facie, it appears they have every reason to do it. If it was not for 106 bhp, a lot of striple owners guaging from the comments in this thread itself would have bought a z800. The dealerships knew or not is a different issue, but they took the bike to ARAI and got it certified and are you saying no one in Triumph ever glanced through the ARAI certificate? I even saw people posting Fb and twitter messages from Triumph india saying its 106bhp.

Even after all this, I would have given them the benefit of doubt had they been pro active and came out with an apology first, the rest could have been sorted later, even that has not happened. What wrong did the customers do to go through this?

Quote:
If you know the difficulties in importing, the near impossible task of re-exporting, certifications involved, etc., etc, in India, it makes it very difficult for any company to act like the rest of the world.
Well I did say there is the easier option of refunding full amount paid. If Suzuki could repay close to 1 lakh for the early customers of inazuma after a price revision, why not Triumph after such a big goof up?

Lastly, The buyer being mature or not or the number of bikes being sold should have nothing to do in this fiasco.

cheers,
J.B is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 10:56   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sad to say that not only is the Big bike market not mature enough in India, but lot of the customers are not too, either. I know I will get flak for this, but I say what I feel.
So, i am a mature customer if a company selling superbikes takes me on a jolly ride on my own bike after misrepresenting facts(intentional / not) and I accept their offer(whether I like it or not) and also accept the distrust that the company has now created..
Hahaha, I find this extremely funny. Thats like bending forward and giving your backside for a free for all.. so you will be termed mature.

I dont think any street triple customer bought his bike to assist the big bike market in India to mature(that happened indirectly). He bought it for his love for biking and the bike. But when stuff like this happens its unforgivable, but amends can be made if the company is willing to tender full apology and rebuild the trust that it has dented, by providing a solution fully acceptable to the people whose trust has been broken. And I believe, all those, whose trust has been broken are very mature enough to accept a full apology and a happy ending.
So, i wonder how you can doubt their maturity, when all they want is a happy ending. All this wouldn't have happened if Triumph hadn't goofed up in the first place, so the onus to show maturity lies on them and not on the customer.

I will also add, that, given the fact, that a company like Triumph, with such a long history, should definitely show much more maturity than what it is displaying in the way it is handling this episode.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 15th December 2014 at 11:00.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote