Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2016, 14:15   #121
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: 4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioRider View Post
Actually i need the super sport look... actually i like all models in Hyosung & kawasaki, but none of the 600cc are inline

I cant afford man, itself about 8.5lacs onroad in bangalore.
I'm really not understanding what you are looking for. What do you plan to use the bike for? With the current requirements, it looks like you want a show piece bike that looks cool.

You really need to sit down and understand what you want from your bike. Looks aside are you actually looking for a supersport setup? The crouched position is not something a lot of people enjoy. And further, I don't think any i4 full faired is anywhere near your budget. As mentioned by you the CBR650 is far out of your budget.

The Beelli is a pretty good bike, if you want an i4 and are ready to compromise on the fairing and if the fairing is a must then look at the RC390 it is pretty good. (It keeps up quite well till a point with my litre supersport and my Z800). Or else your best hope is the used market, you could get something like a Z800 for around 7L or older supersports for cheaper but you seem to know the downsides as well.

But again I think you first need to sit down and decide exactly what you want out of the bike (and maybe need out of it) and then decide what to look for.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 10:07   #122
BHPian
 
farhadtarapore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 300
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Hi,

I have a Thunderbird 500 EFI, it is 1 year old. Every couple of days (especially in the rains), it just refuses to start. Daily startup routine consists of:
  1. 10-12 kicks
  2. Press self-start - within 4-5 seconds of engine cranking, low battery icon starts to flicker
  3. another 7-8 kicks
  4. press self-start - engine sputters as if about to start and then dies
  5. Go to step 1 and repeat 3 times

To be honest, I am quite fed up of this routine every morning. I have tired replacing the breather pipes as suggested on other forums, checked the idling (it is constant at 1000 rpm). Battery seems to be fine since it is just one year old.

I am considering upgrading to a more reliable bike. Something that just requires the regular servicing and washing. Considering the N650, ER6N, Versys 650 and (with a little stretch) the Z800.

But these bikes do not have kick levers. Have any owners of these bikes faced a situation where the bike simply refuses to start? If you leave the bike unridden for a while due to rains or any other reason, does your bike refuse to start? And to start it do you keep jumper cables, etc. with you? Pushing those 200+ kgs bikes is out of the question.

The main purpose of the bike would be office commuting and the occasional weekend long ride. My daily commute is about 25kms (12.5km one way) mostly highway riding. I do NOT have covered parking nor can I cover the bike since rats chew up the wires or cats sleep underneath it and scratch the seat.

Thanks for your inputs.
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 10:18   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 634 Times
Default Re: Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Wow! TB500 to Kwacker 600s is quite a jump for reliability!

But since you seem to have made up your mind, the Ninja650 itself is a brilliant all rounder and supremely reliable but no ABS.

Starting troubles will not occur unless your battery is dead - no one can help you there. Nothing else usually fails. This is based on my experience of living with a Comet GT250 for 7yrs starting 2005 when Kinetic launched it. It was (in todays terms and i guess it still is) an average bike but i never faced much trouble with ignition mechanism and never missed the kick start ever.

Not sure how much occasional riding you do on weekends but i would suggest you get the Versys 650. I've ridden it and it is more practical for all kinds of use. Further, it comes with the ABS!! I can vouch for ABS, don't skimp on it - it has saved my skin so many times.

The Z800 is a kracker my god but little too much power for your kind of use I think. But that is my personal opinion since i'm a laid back kinda guy who doesn't usually enjoy frantic activity.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 20th July 2016 at 10:19.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 10:45   #124
BHPian
 
farhadtarapore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 300
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Wow! TB500 to Kwacker 600s is quite a jump for reliability!

But since you seem to have made up your mind, the Ninja650 itself is a brilliant all rounder and supremely reliable but no ABS.

Starting troubles will not occur unless your battery is dead - no one can help you there. Nothing else usually fails. This is based on my experience of living with a Comet GT250 for 7yrs starting 2005 when Kinetic launched it. It was (in todays terms and i guess it still is) an average bike but i never faced much trouble with ignition mechanism and never missed the kick start ever.

Not sure how much occasional riding you do on weekends but i would suggest you get the Versys 650. I've ridden it and it is more practical for all kinds of use. Further, it comes with the ABS!! I can vouch for ABS, don't skimp on it - it has saved my skin so many times.

The Z800 is a kracker my god but little too much power for your kind of use I think. But that is my personal opinion since i'm a laid back kinda guy who doesn't usually enjoy frantic activity.
Thanks for your answer, I was gravitating towards Versys 650. Have ridden a CBR 250RA before the TB500, and I have benefited from the ABS on that bike. Will take a test ride.

Was also considering the Benellis (600i), but read somewhere that service intervals are too short (about ~3000kms).
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 10:48   #125
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 634 Times
Default Re: Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Thanks for your answer, I was gravitating towards Versys 650. Have ridden a CBR 250RA before the TB500, and I have benefited from the ABS on that bike. Will take a test ride.

Was also considering the Benellis (600i), but read somewhere that service intervals are too short (about ~3000kms).
I don't think the Benelli matches the Kwackers in terms of fit-n-finish - on the Kawasaki, it is top notch!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 10:58   #126
BHPian
 
vikrantj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 572
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hi,


But these bikes do not have kick levers. Have any owners of these bikes faced a situation where the bike simply refuses to start? If you leave the bike unridden for a while due to rains or any other reason, does your bike refuse to start? And to start it do you keep jumper cables, etc. with you? Pushing those 200+ kgs bikes is out of the question.

The main purpose of the bike would be office commuting and the occasional weekend long ride. My daily commute is about 25kms (12.5km one way) mostly highway riding. I do NOT have covered parking nor can I cover the bike since rats chew up the wires or cats sleep underneath it and scratch the seat.

Thanks for your inputs.
2 cents from my side. I have a N650 :

1. The bike is well put together. After 12000km of riding in past 2 years I am yet to hear a single rattle. Part are also available with minimal wait time for non-typical parts.
2. The bike now-a-days is in my basement parking for a stretch of 2 weeks or so due to rains. It starts on a single click. Mind you battery has not been replaced and is still stock.
3. As for daily commute it is very comfortable. It is heavy at 220kgs, so don't expect zipping in and out of traffic. Heat from the engine become noticable in stop and go traffic but surely it does not fry your legs like some other bikes. The fairing do a nice job diverting that heat away.

Hope this helps.
vikrantj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 11:00   #127
BHPian
 
farhadtarapore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 300
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
2 cents from my side. I have a N650 :
Heat from the engine become noticable in stop and go traffic but surely it does not fry your legs like some other bikes. The fairing do a nice job diverting that heat away.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Vikrant. Even my TB 500 radiates heat on my legs in stop and go traffic, so kinda used to it. Will test ride this. Planning a visit to the Palm Beach showroom this week
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 11:11   #128
BHPian
 
vikrantj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 572
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Thanks Vikrant. Even my TB 500 radiates heat on my legs in stop and go traffic, so kinda used to it. Will test ride this. Planning a visit to the Palm Beach showroom this week
Hi,

There was a news which I had got on whatsapp (Unfortunately I am not able to locate it) about SNK Bajaj dealership on Palm Beach road was not delivering on the bookings made since March 2016. Please enquire and get some concrete info.

Thanks
vikrantj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 19:28   #129
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,617
Thanked: 7,727 Times
Default Re: Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
I am considering upgrading to a more reliable bike. Something that just requires the regular servicing and washing. Considering the N650, ER6N, Versys 650 and (with a little stretch) the Z800.
Farhad : Nice to see that you wish to upgrade ONLY to Kawasaki brand as I don't see any other shortlist

I own a Versys 650 and let me give you a few pointers that might help you decision making

Ninja 650
Reliable and bullet proof engine
Plenty of power for weekend rides
Great for touring and regular commuting
Great fit and finish
Kawasaki reliability (or, should I say Japanese reliability?)

You can buy a preowned for 5 Lakhs or less

ER-6N
Reliable and bullet proof engine
Plenty of power for weekend rides
Might not exactly be a great bike for touring but, would be nice for daily commutes
Great fit and finish
Kawasaki reliability (or, should I say Japanese reliability?)

New for 5.5 Lakhs and Pre-owned for much lesser

Versys 650

All of above points and some more below :

ABS (I used to think that ABS is not required and good brakes are enough. But, ABS in versys is so fantastic that despite many close calls and frantic
braking situations, I felt calm as the Buddha as the bike didn't show any signs of drama (fishtail, slip etc.)

Adventure Style Bike (Styling is beautiful and I think looks great in flesh rather than in pictures)

Very good handling and can be ridden in traffic like you ride any other commuter bike (This took me totally by surprise. This can handle like a Duke 390 except that it's not that light. On the other hand, it does not feel it's weight when on move. Feels nimble and you can throw it in corners)

Seats are wide,nicely contoured and plush for both rider and passenger

Suspension (If nothing seals the deal, I will guarantee this will seal it ) :

Versys 650 is all about it's awesome suspension which as you know can be changed on the fly for both front and rear

No heat issues even in traffic conditions (never felt any till date)

This could be the bike for you ONLY if you want a package of decent power, comfort and long distance mile crunching ability

~ 8 Lakhs

Z800

This is a beautiful sounding in-line 4 machine and meant only for fast weekend sprints and will not be comfortable for long distance touring which seems to be the primary need for most SBK buyers as everyone wants to go faster, go farther but, in super comfort

However, IMO, Z800 can be seriously given a thought in your context as you do just 25kms every day and some short rides on weekend

9 Lakhs

Now you decide for yourself what you want (everyone wants something different) and ride all of these bikes and then decide for yourself

Good luck on your hunt for your ideal bike !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th July 2016 at 19:31.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 08:50   #130
BHPian
 
TheCelestial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 159
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post

....
But these bikes do not have kick levers. Have any owners of these bikes faced a situation where the bike simply refuses to start? If you leave the bike unridden for a while due to rains or any other reason, does your bike refuse to start? And to start it do you keep jumper cables, etc. with you? Pushing those 200+ kgs bikes is out of the question.

....

Thanks for your inputs.
I have two bikes both without kick levers (D200 and Z800) and often I cant manage to keep both of them running.
I have gone weeks without starting either of them and never had issues getting them started. The Z800 always starts up a the first crank.
TheCelestial is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 10:57   #131
BHPian
 
farhadtarapore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 300
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: 4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs

Thanks so much guys for your inputs. You have enabled me to narrow down on the Versys 650.
Just one question - the rear wheel doesn't come with any mudguard, does it result in mud and rainwater splashing all over the pillion?
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 12:26   #132
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: 4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Thanks so much guys for your inputs. You have enabled me to narrow down on the Versys 650.
Just one question - the rear wheel doesn't come with any mudguard, does it result in mud and rainwater splashing all over the pillion?
Not sure specifically about the Versys, but usually there will be a bit of splash off the back wheel onto the rider.

A little late to answer your first question, but I've never had a issue with my Z800 starting. My bike gets started only once every two weeks or once a month and never had a problem till date.

Whereas I used to have a bit of an issue a few years back on my Honda CB600, because I was using a Kinetic scooter battery once my OEM battery died and I was having difficulty finding a replacement. The battery would die out if the bike was idle for more than a week, in which case the only way to start it was pushing it.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 13:58   #133
BHPian
 
kumar_ranjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MH12
Posts: 246
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I own a Versys 650
Just one question as the bike seat is higher than normal bike, What is the minimum height needed to ride the bike comfortably?
kumar_ranjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:55   #134
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,617
Thanked: 7,727 Times
Default Re: Which bike to buy (N650, ER6N, Versys 650, Z800)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_ranjan View Post
Just one question as the bike seat is higher than normal bike, What is the minimum height needed to ride the bike comfortably?
To be honest, Seat height of Versys is quite high at 840mm and is higher than the Tiger 800

Having said that, if you are 5.9" then it would be very comfortable for you to place your feet on ground (maybe not entirely)

However, this cannot and should not dissuade you to consider this bike as I know many folks who are shorter who are enjoying this ride as it's just a matter of getting used to it and when on the move, it's light and nimble

Look for "Sangeetharides" on Instagram and she rides the Versys apart from several other bikes despite being a petite and short lady

Perhaps she can be an inspiration
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 13:35   #135
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 630
Thanked: 884 Times
Default Re: 4-Cylinder Naked Bike under 10 Lakhs

Since this thread is speaking about all the bikes under 10 lakhs thought of mentioning this article which I read now. Kawasaki has released updates on Ninja 650 and ER-6n in India. The updates are purely cosmetic with new color tones and graphics on both the models. Also ER-6n gets new sportier rubbers, Dunlop Sportmax D214.

Source : NDTV
Link : http://auto.ndtv.com/news/kawasaki-i...from=home-auto
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car with four cylinder engine or three cylinder engine? sunil8089 Technical Stuff 36 15th May 2017 19:54
Hyosung launches the GT650 Naked bike Scorcher Superbikes & Imports 26 14th October 2011 23:12
100 BHP+ Diesel Sedan under 10 lakhs - Booked Verna CRDI SX (ABS), now under 9 lakhs newcoolgadgets Sedans 84 16th September 2009 21:28
SCOOP! Yamaha FZ/FZ150 naked bike now christened FZ16 five46 Motorbikes 95 17th September 2008 17:51
Remove cylinder block and fit 12vdc motor with worm gear --make any bike ''electric'' pinneparayam Motorbikes 5 3rd December 2006 21:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks