Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2017, 13:41   #136
BHPian
 
Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 232
Thanked: 523 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

DELHI - GOA - DELHI VIA THE COASTAL HIGHWAY/SAGARI MAHAMARG:

My wife and I did a couples' ride from Delhi to Goa and back via the coastal highway. A trip snap shot and some pictures:

Total Distance: 4500 kms

Onward Route:
Delhi>Jaipur>Udaipur>>Godhara>Vadodara>Vapi>Mumbai>Diveagar>Ganpatipule>Ratnagiri>Vengurla> Goa.
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-map.jpg

Return Route:
Goa>Sawantwadi>Amboli>Tavandi>Kolhapur>Pune>Lonavala>Mumbai>Vadodara>Ahemdabad> Mount Abu>Ajmer> Jaipur>Delhi

(Places in BOLD are the places we spent one or more nights in)

The itinerary:
Name:  Itinerary.png.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  183.9 KB

The indicative route plan primarily of the Coastal Highway. The roads we took varied based on local advice and our enthusiasm to take the road less travelled. We stuck as close to the coast as possible:

Indicative Goa Route Details.pdf

Some pictures from the trip:

The legendary MSH4 - it was humbling to be this far away from Delhi and next to the coast..... on our own motorcycle!
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-msh.jpg

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-helmet.jpg

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-creek.jpg

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-mad-clicking-ocean.jpg

One of the 3 ferry crossings we did. Cheap rates and fairly convenient. A new experience for us:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-ferry.jpg

Diveagar Beach Resort:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-diveagar-resort.jpg

Somewhere after Ganpatipule IIRC:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-selfie.jpg

A power nap on MSH4:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-resting.jpg

At the Maharashtra border. The beaches in MH were just extraordinary.
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-mh-vengur.jpg

Amboli:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-amboli.jpg

Between Amboli and Tavandi:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-lake-view.jpg

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-welcome-karnataka.jpg

Name:  Tree.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  240.1 KB


A secluded spot in Mount Abu and a view from the valley:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-mount-abu-mountain-view.jpg

Mount Abu Lake:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-mount-abu.jpg

Somewhere in Gujarat:
Name:  Sunlight bike.JPG
Views: 1186
Size:  295.4 KB

Dinner in Udaipur at Ambrai:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-wp_20161211_21_30_46_pro.jpg

Vagator, Goa:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-wp_20161218_08_59_19_pro.jpg



Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 02:15   #137
BHPian
 
Snehal Sekhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 283
Thanked: 432 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

You are going places, my man!! Great to see you and El Caballo Blanco criss crossing across the country every few months.

I keep making plans and drop out thinking of the expenses involved. Anyway, if you're making any plans to ride across this side of the country do let me know. It'd be nice to meet up with you.

Ride safe and strong brother!
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 12:36   #138
BHPian
 
Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 232
Thanked: 523 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
You are going places, my man!! Great to see you and El Caballo Blanco criss crossing across the country every few months.

I keep making plans and drop out thinking of the expenses involved. Anyway, if you're making any plans to ride across this side of the country do let me know. It'd be nice to meet up with you.

Ride safe and strong brother!
Thanks Snehal. It was a wonderful ride and to a place we had not explored before. It did take some planning, but was worth the effort. I have not done justice to the trip by not writing a travelouge. it was 15 days of excellent riding and experiences.

Unfortunately, the MSH4 despite being spectacular is not as well documented- certainly not as much as it deserves to be. All the worries about safety (or the lack of it) while riding through desolate and secluded roads are put to rest when one meets the people of the small towns and villages of Maharasthra. A lot of the myths I had heard got busted. One of the friendliest and most helpful people we have met in all our bike travels.

Budget should be the least of your concerns- you can alter it depending on how and where you choose to stay and eat.

Quote:
Anyway, if you're making any plans to ride across this side of the country do let me know.It'd be nice to meet up with you.
Are you implying if I drive down or take a train the offer to catch up isnt open!? You are turning into a HOG snob, aren't you?

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 20:09   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 1,212 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
DELHI - GOA - DELHI VIA THE COASTAL HIGHWAY/SAGARI MAHAMARG:
Words fail me ..... how the hell did I miss this???

Congrats to both rider and pillion, it is quite a feat

PS - very happy that the Mrs now has a proper helmet. IIRC, she was sporting a rather cheap "modular" excuse of a lid earlier, no?

PPS - We have to catch up. Please PM me your number. I lost my phone recently and with it went all my contacts
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 02:08   #140
BHPian
 
Snehal Sekhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 283
Thanked: 432 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
All the worries about safety (or the lack of it) while riding through desolate and secluded roads are put to rest when one meets the people of the small towns and villages of Maharasthra. A lot of the myths I had heard got busted. One of the friendliest and most helpful people we have met in all our bike travels.
Absolutely! This holds true for most places I've ridden too. All it takes is to stop and chat up with the locals, especially in small towns and villages, to know how friendly and helpful they are.

Quote:
Are you implying if I drive down or take a train the offer to catch up isnt open!? You are turning into a HOG snob, aren't you?
Riding a HD for 2 years is rubbing off on me, I guess. Anywhich way doesn't matter man, as long as you keep me posted that you're coming down south to my city. Definitely would be nice to meet up.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 22:25   #141
BHPian
 
Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 232
Thanked: 523 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
PS - very happy that the Mrs now has a proper helmet. IIRC, she was sporting a rather cheap "modular" excuse of a lid earlier, no?
Haha! Well spotted, and you do remember that 150 gm POS! We also added Alpinestar Tech Denim for both of us and a pair of Held riding gloves. This was the longest journey we had taken till now, so put together better gear than what we had used till now.

The coastal highway section and the solo trip back from Goa were epic, more on that when we catch up!

Will PM you my number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Anywhich way doesn't matter man, as long as you keep me posted that you're coming down south to my city. Definitely would be nice to meet up.
And the same for you, Snehal. Would be great to catch up if you visit this part of the country.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 22:20   #142
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London
Posts: 48
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

It makes me happy to see a Triumph parallel twin being used for this sort of trip, rather than just posing outside Starbucks as many seem to!

You have really done justice to ownership of a Bonneville by loading her up and heading for the horizon

Here is one of my favourite bikes in the world - the original wandering Triumph twin... She is a Tiger 100 known as "Jupiter" that covered 64,000 miles around the globe 1973-1977. All these flash 'adventure' bikes have nothing on her!
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-1200pxted_simon_triumph_tiger_100.jpg  

Rob UK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 09:39   #143
BHPian
 
Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 232
Thanked: 523 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
It makes me happy to see a Triumph parallel twin being used for this sort of trip, rather than just posing outside Starbucks as many seem to!

You have really done justice to ownership of a Bonneville by loading her up and heading for the horizon

Here is one of my favourite bikes in the world - the original wandering Triumph twin... She is a Tiger 100 known as "Jupiter" that covered 64,000 miles around the globe 1973-1977. All these flash 'adventure' bikes have nothing on her!
Thank you, Rob. The Bonneville has been a reliable partner in the travels my wife and I have done. We've loaded it up to 190+ kgs and taken it to some difficult terrain and high passes and it just continues to go on without complaint. I couldn't find a single bolt out of place after completing the entire trip, as has been the case in all the previous trips including Ladakh.

At a time when one couldn't use Google maps or advrider.com to log in and get information about border crossings in Latin America or the rest of the world it's fascinating how Ted Simon completed his epic journey - more so on a bike blessed by the "Prince of Darkness". Jupiter's travels remains amongst my favourite travel books of all times.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 16:17   #144
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London
Posts: 48
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Thank you, Rob. The Bonneville has been a reliable partner in the travels my wife and I have done. We've loaded it up to 190+ kgs and taken it to some difficult terrain and high passes and it just continues to go on without complaint. I couldn't find a single bolt out of place after completing the entire trip, as has been the case in all the previous trips including Ladakh.

At a time when one couldn't use Google maps or advrider.com to log in and get information about border crossings in Latin America or the rest of the world it's fascinating how Ted Simon completed his epic journey - more so on a bike blessed by the "Prince of Darkness". Jupiter's travels remains amongst my favourite travel books of all times.

Books like Jupiter's Travels kind of ruined the idea of touring on bikes like the R1200GS for me.

The GS has become the best selling 600cc+ bike in the UK for many years mainly as a result of The long way round but they have become a bit of a cliché where these guys suddenly get into bikes and buy one, kit it out with the full Touratech catalogue and then hardly use it. That all seems rather ridiculous when Ted Simon went all over the world on a 500cc Triumph when the roads were much more basic! Jupiter lives in a museum now about 40 miles away from where I live.

The modern Bonneville is one of the bikes I've considered if I ever get around to a long cross-continental ride, probably the older carburettor fed model for simplicity.
Rob UK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 19:07   #145
BHPian
 
Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 232
Thanked: 523 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
Books like Jupiter's Travels kind of ruined the idea of touring on bikes like the R1200GS for me....
Can't agree with you more, Rob. Ive mentioned elsewhere on the thread that in addition to a Bonneville I'd want a dual sport- the Tiger 800xrx remains my favourite from the current crop available in India. However, despite the tech, 3 cylinders, its more a motorcycle I want than need- the weight is a bummer. A KLR650 on the other hand is exactly what I need, particularly for the next trip I might take a few years down there line. Simple & reliable tech, competent and light weight- that's all that's needed in a dual sport. Unfortunately, hyper segmentation and paper specs are governing the decisions of the motorcycle company executives.

In retrospect a T100 would have served my purpose better due to a higher ground clearance and more resilient spokes. But then again, I just love the Bonneville.

I wasn't a Triumph aficionado then, but having spent a few good weeks in Coventry many moons ago, I do regret not seeing Jupiter in person.

I hope you've read this travelouge, a RTW trip on a Bonneville T100:

http://earth-roamers.blogspot.in/201...00-km.html?m=1
A ridiculously low maintenance requirement despite the gruelling circumstances this motorcycle would have been put through, shows how well made it is.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 19:15   #146
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London
Posts: 48
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

The Tiger 800 is a fantastic bike. I rented an XR for a week recently, but the engine is definitely a strong bias towards road riding. In the mountains it behaves like a big supermoto and I found myself passing a few fast sports bikes and big 1200 ADV bikes for fun on the twisty roads, you can really throw it about! It doesn't feel heavy to ride at all on the road, quite the opposite, but on the dirt it would be a different matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-img_20161220_151754.jpg  

Rob UK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 13:25   #147
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 1,493 Times
Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
The modern Bonneville is one of the bikes I've considered if I ever get around to a long cross-continental ride, probably the older carburettor fed model for simplicity.
Rob,

Though not in the league of Tiger XRX the Bonnie is indeed a capable one for most of the tasks you can throw at it (excepting those in India as mentioned by Sting). I was probably one of 1st customer of the "new/EFI" Bonnie and maintained it in the Middle East without any dealer support whatsoever - used it in some extreme hot weather as well there. Never a complaint with it

1st time it saw a dealer (after leaving the shop of one as new) was 5 years latter in 2013, when I imported it to Bangalore/India, when I took it in for some minor works as I was hard pressed for time for a DIY

I have used carbureted Bonnie and Tiger before that and I would say that EFI has given me lesser troubles than the other two.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 20th February 2017 at 13:26.
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Triumph Bonneville - My New Ride in Dubai. EDIT - Now in Bangalore, India. r_nairtvm Superbikes & Imports 202 28th October 2014 11:27
Triumph Bonneville - A dream come true sanketdesai82 Superbikes & Imports 28 16th April 2014 01:20
Difference between a Bonneville and Bonneville T100 BEEM3R Superbikes & Imports 4 19th September 2006 09:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:23.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks