Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 29th February 2016, 21:32   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Hi n_aditya,

Both are built to last and are renowned for their quality.

Btw, I thought you had n250. A Triumph on the cards?

Cheers,
Sting
Thanks a ton for your reply. Definitely helps to get real world feedback.

Still have the Ninja.😜😯
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 01:45   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have a question about the Renntec guards if I may please.

Which one is more sturdy? SW Mototech or Renntec?

I may be wrong but these are bolted onto the chassis and the stronger the guards, the more impact it transfers to the chassis which may lead to chassis damage. Don't you think?

I saw a Renntec one on eBay india for 11k odd.

Please let me know how taller the high mount backrest is compared to the one you have on the bike. Would the high mount backrest be an issue for the pillion to swing a leg over the bike?
Hey Aditya,
I thought I replied to your post but weirdly the reply is still in my drafts. The perils of being mobile only.

I highly recommend the SW motech guards, primarily because I crash tested them and they performed beautifully. I also checked the bonnie on a jig , while they were doing warranty repairs and the chassis is in alignment. So they didn't mess around with the chassis. They bent very slightly and saved my legs and my bike.

It's hard to believe that the bonnie suffered no damage whatsoever with the 100 meter slide except for the gashes on the guard and a roughed up foot peg (that thankfully didn't break thanks to my other mod).

I don't think you'll go wrong with either the motech or renntec ones, especially since they've both been crash tested on teambhp for you

On the high mount backrest, I took a friend for a ride yesterday and he loved it. He has a Harley and said this was way more comfy.

The backrest isn't a problem for pillions, provided they mount correctly. I haven't sat at the back so no clue. But the better half manages OK. She stands on the footpeg, swings leg over and vice versa for the dismounting.

A bonnie planned?
djpeesh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 09:27   #93
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I don't think you'll go wrong with either the motech or renntec ones, especially since they've both been crash tested on teambhp for you

On the high mount backrest, I took a friend for a ride yesterday and he loved it. He has a Harley and said this was way more comfy.

A bonnie planned?
Thank you for the reply, dj.

Any idea where I can source the crash bars from? I did notice the Renntec one on eBay.in but only a couple of pieces and the only seller who had them.

There are two kinds of backrests so I am curious which one is on your bike? The tall one or the short one? Which is recommended if the bike should have the Triumph King & Queen seats?

I'll spill the beans on the bonnie plans hopefully soon. Last quarter of the year at work so it's a mad month.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 21:13   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

There are two kinds of backrests so I am curious which one is on your bike? The tall one or the short one? Which is recommended if the bike should have the Triumph King & Queen seats?
Adithya I am taking the liberty of responding. See the pic below,

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-sissy-bar.png

I think this is the one on the bike of DJP

In my opinion the for a King & Queen seat this one is more suited.

All the best

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 23:55   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Adithya I am taking the liberty of responding. See the pic below,

Attachment 1481922

I think this is the one on the bike of DJP

In my opinion the for a King & Queen seat this one is more suited.

All the best

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
As always, Ram sir is right. I have the high sissy bar (that's the only one you get which fits the king and queen which I have).

Initially, I planned to use the king and queen only on long rides and replace with stock in the city. But it's so comfortable that I havent gone back to stock on almost a year. The stock seat is currently home to mites and bugs under my bed.

Visually, it looks horrible but I've reached a stage where I care more for function over form.

The sw-motech crash bars are officially available in India through big bad bikes. When I bought them, they had a Facebook page but they've apparently got a website now. They cost me 12k including shipping, but Sean is based in bangalore if I remember correctly.

Congratulations on the bonnie in advance. I'd offer mine since the old air-cooled ones are now history, but heck, I want to keep my piece of history.

Last edited by djpeesh : 1st March 2016 at 23:57.
djpeesh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 23:58   #96
BHPian

Here's a pic, or two. Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-1456856869180.jpg
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-1456856892224.jpg
djpeesh is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:28   #97
BHPian

"Prozac, The Motguzzi is undoubtedly a fabulous looker that doesn't have many matches. I hope you get it and treat us to some great pics and a review!"

Sting, well, I finally went and bought the SpeedTriple instead and boy! am I pleased with my decision! Its been about 8 months since but I haven't been able to ride too much, hopefully this year I ride a few thousand km!
Prozac is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 02:50   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

The ground clearance of Bonnie is 120 and Bullet's is 140. Super low is 100 and I have see how painful it is!

New Bonnies aka Street Twin will be out by 12th March. Much better bike as per reviews.

And ya, upgrade from Bonnie is Tiger. Few did so in Kerala. I would too if I have the money but the new Thruxton looks super cool.

Last edited by jkdas : 3rd March 2016 at 02:52.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 23:25   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac View Post
Sting, well, I finally went and bought the SpeedTriple instead and boy! am I pleased with my decision! Its been about 8 months since but I haven't been able to ride too much, hopefully this year I ride a few thousand km!
Congratulations Prozac! These Triumph bikes are a pleasure, controversies and the idiot management not withstanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And ya, upgrade from Bonnie is Tiger. Few did so in Kerala. I would too if I have the money but the new Thruxton looks super cool.
The 1200 cc engines are what attract me the most. The ride by wire, abs etc all take a back seat. I don't think I'll buy one but will certainly take a test ride once they are available. The Thruxton I agree is drool material, Triumph designer and engineers sure have a pulse on their potential buyers.
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 20:02   #100
BHPian

Got some time over the weekend so decided to do some long pending maintenance on the motorcycle.

I'm still short of some tools and products (Torque wrench, chain alignment tool, brake caliper cleaner etc.) which I will hopefully procure over the next couple of weeks/months.

If you can't afford a 30,000 rupee motorcycle lift for some garage work, get a 200 rupee cane moodha instead. One just has to stoop down and get creative. Courtesy a very thoughful wife!
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-maintenance.jpg

Opened the front sprocket cover to find all this gunk inside it. On the left is the inside of the sprocket cover. Notice the sprocket teeth covered in grime and grease.
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-sprocket.jpg

Cleaned it up as best as I could and cleaned and lubed the rest of the chain too. I'll me more particular about this from now on.
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-sprocket-better.jpg

Trivia: Triumph gives a pair of tweezers to pull out the fuses!! How thoughtful, not sure what happened to them when they designed the rear seat removal process. I had always thought the fuse box has a few spares in it, was surprised to find none. Will get a few before my next trip.
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-tweezers.jpg

Air filter is located under the side cover:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-airfilter.jpg

With the EFI, O2 sensor, air injection et al the Bonneville is relatively environment friendly and is unlikely to kill any polar bears. Can't say the same about spiders:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-af-closed.jpg

I use an Alto's jack for chain clean and lubing mounting the bike on the centre stand provision. All that grime and grease on the floor is from the front sprocket and cover.
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-stand.jpg

In the process enjoyed using a few unnecessary tools:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-stanley.jpg

Next up for maintenance:

1. Front and rear brake caliper cleaning and bleeding: I intend to take the calipers off and give it a thorough cleanup (with a Rust-Oleum cleaner), bleed both brakes and check and replace both pads if needed. I have a pair of half used brake pads lying with me so might use them should there be wear on the existing ones.

2. Chain tightening and alignment: I'm undecided if I should do this without a torque wrench. The nuts and bolts on the Bonneville are oversensitive to torque and the rear axle nut will need to be loosened to do this. Any place I could get a chain alignment tool and a torque wrench?
3. Spark plug cleanup: I've only done 9000kms yet - is this needed? Does anyone know what sized spark plug socket will be needed?. Any directions of where I could get a gauge to measure the gap? An online place would be much preferred!

Cheers,
Sting

Last edited by Sting : 28th March 2016 at 20:05.
Sting is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 21:50   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chain tightening and alignment: I'm undecided if I should do this without a torque wrench. The nuts and bolts on the Bonneville are oversensitive to torque and the rear axle nut will need to be loosened to do this. Any place I could get a chain alignment tool and a torque wrench?
3. Spark plug cleanup: I've only done 9000kms yet - is this needed? Does anyone know what sized spark plug socket will be needed?. Any directions of where I could get a gauge to measure the gap? An online place would be much preferred!
For Plugs - what you need is - 18mm plug socket. It is not the same as 18mm long reach socket as plug socket has the rubber insert for holding the plug and that is what you require. See the pic below:

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-plug-remover.jpg

Chain alignment is more complicated.

See the video link below

A torque wrench usually good around the bike is one with a 3/8" Drive of about 80 lbs/ft torque. It will set you back by about USD 100/-

The adjustment tool what you need will set you back by about USD 30/- The one below is kind of universal tool.

Name:  Chain Alignmet too.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  34.4 KB

Hope the info is of use and did not confuse you more,

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 11:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Chain tightening and alignment: I'm undecided if I should do this without a torque wrench. The nuts and bolts on the Bonneville are oversensitive to torque and the rear axle nut will need to be loosened to do this. Any place I could get a chain alignment tool and a torque wrench?

Cheers,
Sting
Check this out alignment tool

Only online portal in India I found selling it. If you can find some more then do post it.
Randhawa is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 11:48   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any directions of where I could get a gauge to measure the gap? An online place would be much preferred!
Sting
Sting what you need is the one below:

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-feeler-gauge.jpg

Follow either the Triumph hand book on the gap or follow NGK specs. The Hand book specs are as follows:

Name:  Plug Gap.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  19.7 KB

You can get it online I believe either from Stanley India or from the following link.

http://www.tolexo.com/stanley-specia...0-04-1-mm.html

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 29th March 2016 at 11:53.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 21:55   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Sting what you need is the one below...

Best Regards & Ride Safe
Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Only online portal in India I found selling it. If you can find some more then do post it.
Gentlemen, Thank you very much! Very helpful leads so I closed a few things off various websites including Amazon US, Triumphridersindia.org etc.

I've finally ordered:
  1. Tekton Torque wrench 10-80 ft/pound
  2. Chain alignment tool
  3. Spark plug gauge gap
  4. Pro-grade 18mm spark plug socket
  5. Locktite threadlocker
  6. Copper grease
  7. Brake caliper cleaner

What's pending:
  • NGK Iridium Spark plugs- more for future use, don't think I'll need one right now
  • Hex allen socket set

I'll attempt to side gap the spark plugs when I take them off. Let's see if it helps.

The tools will take a couple of weeks to arrive. Will keep you posted on the progress (or the lack of it) of the DIYs.

Thanks again for your inputs.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 22:32   #105
Senior - BHPian

I think you should also get Haynes manual or Triumph service manual. Will help you in DIY and others also

There is another thing you should get, forgot what it's called but every time you take your exhaust off to adjust chain you need to change the orange tape which goes over the down pipe where exhaust connects. It removes any chance of exhaust leak and oxygen getting sucked in during deceleration and causing after fire noise.

Last edited by Randhawa : 30th March 2016 at 23:00.
Randhawa is online now   Reply With Quote