Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 31st March 2016, 11:37   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I think you should also get Haynes manual or Triumph service manual. Will help you in DIY and others also

There is another thing you should get, forgot what it's called but every time you take your exhaust off to adjust chain you need to change the orange tape which goes over the down pipe where exhaust connects. It removes any chance of exhaust leak and oxygen getting sucked in during deceleration and causing after fire noise.
I don't know what tape they are using - may be the "asbestos tape" which was used in the RD350 etc. But it used to be white in colour. May be its a "Dealer specific jugad".

In the Triumph workshop manual they specify a smear of clear silicone sealant around the header when replacing the silencers. Triumph specify a precise 4 cc of normal clear silicone sealant on each pipe-silencer joint. Nothing else.

In the Triumphratnet forums - the discussions all point to the following product and no reference to any "tape"

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-bonne-exhaust-sealant.jpg

This is easily available off ebay.

I feel that the clear one would be a better thing as its less visible

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 19:41   #107
BHPian

Quote:
I think you should also get Haynes manual or Triumph service manual. Will help you in DIY and others also
Have ordered the Triumph manual already. My plagiarised advice will be chargeable now

Waiting for the torque wrench before I start any work. Here's what arrived today...
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-image.jpeg
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 20:08   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I don't know what tape they are using - may be the "asbestos tape" which was used in the RD350 etc. But it used to be white in colour. May be its a "Dealer specific jugad".

In the Triumph workshop manual they specify a smear of clear silicone sealant around the header when replacing the silencers. Triumph specify a precise 4 cc of normal clear silicone sealant on each pipe-silencer joint. Nothing else.

In the Triumphratnet forums - the discussions all point to the following product and no reference to any "tape"

Attachment 1492549

This is easily available off ebay.

I feel that the clear one would be a better thing as its less visible

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram
I am not talking about the head to downpipe sealant which is usually a o ring gasket Its the downpipe to exhaust connector.

On my first service when exhaust was removed, I saw a tape wrapped around it. It was removed and new one replaced with it before putting the exhaust back on.

Name:  image.png
Views: 1031
Size:  150.1 KB

This is exactly what was on there. So it came from factory like that and you will have it on yours as well.

Sealing tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Have ordered the Triumph manual already. My plagiarised advice will be chargeable now

Waiting for the torque wrench before I start any work. Here's what arrived today...
Attachment 1492686
Give me your AC no and I will transfer the royalty😉. Damn your delivery was fast. I am still waiting for my alignment tool. Did you ordered from triumphindia?
Are you going to use the copper grease on calliper pins?
Randhawa is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 22:49   #109
BHPian

I ordered the copper grease, alignment tool and locktite from Triumphridersindia. The caliper cleaner is from Amazon India, the can says its made in USA. I hope its a good product. The grease is for the caliper pins and spark plug threads. I read a review where it said the grease works well behind the brake pads to reduce vibration.

Cheers,
Sting
Old 2nd April 2016, 17:51   #110
BHPian

I decided to check the chain alignment today. What i had thought to be a 10 min job turned out to be a 1 hour effort. I prepared my work area and sat down to take off the chain cover. To my surprise, I noticed that the bolts are Torx head!!!..and as Murphy would have it, I don't have a torx socket or key set. I had assumed these would be allen head. Allen, torx, phillips..you name it and its on the bike. I fail to understand why Triumph couldn't have standardised these to make life easy.

Anyway, unsurprisingly not many shops here stock a torx wrench set. Taking leads from the friendly roadside bike mechanic, I went from place to another building on the leads finally to get a set. Took the better part of an hour. I'll probably change these to allen bolts later to make life easy. That way i can use the wrench instead of relying on the torx keys.

The torx key set costed Rs 300. T30 is the size that fits.
Name:  WP_20160402_14_00_53_Pro.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  270.6 KB

Thankfully the chain was perfectly aligned already. In the absence of a torque wrench I wouldn't have been able to fix it if it wasn't.
Name:  WP_20160402_13_34_21_Pro.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  120.5 KB

Bled the front brakes too. For the rear brake bleeding it seems I will have to take off the exhaust. Or maybe I just missed seeing the bleeding nut.
Name:  WP_20160402_13_51_47_Pro.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  122.5 KB

On a separate note got a new tail bag for my next trip.i had been using a Wildcraft aqua which isn't suitable for there luggage rack. This seems to be very well built and has 2 main advantages for me:

1. Lots of loops and d-rings to make there most of the luggage ties.
2. A flat top which means i can tie smaller bags, rolls etc on top of the bag.

Name:  WP_20160402_16_22_51_Pro.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  157.6 KB

Got some work tomorrow in Aligarh so will be taking the bike on a solo trip after a long time.

Cheers,
Sting

Last edited by Sting : 2nd April 2016 at 17:52.
Sting is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 11:20   #111
Senior - BHPian

In the interest of not derailing the other thread let me tell you the things which I felt were of sub par quality on the bonnie. The chrome on the indicators and rear lights, the key and rear grab rail (maybe quality wasn't bad but it didn't go well with the bike I guess). I admire the thruxton quite the bit but for some reason the T100 always felt a little iffy to me. But post reading your thread I think my opinion on the quality was ill founded. Cheers!
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 12:28   #112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
In the interest of not derailing the other thread let me tell you the things which I felt were of sub par quality on the bonnie. The chrome on the indicators and rear lights, the key and rear grab rail (maybe quality wasn't bad but it didn't go well with the bike I guess). I admire the thruxton quite the bit but for some reason the T100 always felt a little iffy to me. But post reading your thread I think my opinion on the quality was ill founded. Cheers!
I think these are all plastic parts on Triumph motorcycle, plating process is not same for plastic parts and chrome plating on metal.
These plastic plated parts don't love water at all.
Headlight lens is also similar plastic / abs plated part and once water goes into the light housing, plating develops pitting and flakes literally overnight.

Quote:
The torx key set costed Rs 300. T30 is the size that fits.
Attachment 1493284

Cheers,
Sting
This Torx set is useless, specially for fasteners T30 ,T40,T45 and T50.
It will strip its teeth at first sight of properly torqued bolt, and most likely ditch you when you need it the most. It is not Forged. In process it will ruin your bolt heads too.
You should buy Taparia Torx set if you want to go for cheap but worthy tool set. Else you have some very well made sets from US based tool companies.
Taparia one will cost about double of that amount but will be forged ,surface hardened and black anodized.
I have broken several cheap sets before finding out what extra 300 bucks give you.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th April 2016 at 23:44. Reason: Back to back posts
dustom_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2016, 22:10   #113
BHPian

The torx set in this case was more a function of availability than price as I elaborated in the original post.

Instead of getting a new set I'd rather address the root and change the 2 bolts to Allen. That way they can be tightened to the right torque as well.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 11:43   #114
BANNED

Quote:
The torx set in this case was more a function of availability than price as I elaborated in the original post.

Instead of getting a new set I'd rather address the root and change the 2 bolts to Allen. That way they can be tightened to the right torque as well.

Cheers,
Sting
Nothing better than having all fasteners with same system heads or at least most of them. Prevents all sort of tool clutter.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 13:46   #115
Senior - BHPian

Guys can you tell at what mileage and what tooth setting at swingarm is your chain adjuster. Just trying to figure out how much does ones riding style and maintenance effect the life of the chain on Bonneville.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 18:38   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Guys can you tell at what mileage and what tooth setting at swingarm is your chain adjuster. Just trying to figure out how much does ones riding style and maintenance effect the life of the chain on Bonneville.
Randhawa,

IIRC it was on the 3rd tooth from the rear, chain slack was 20mm and the bike has done 9000 kms, 80% of which has been highways with 2 up.

Hope this helps.
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 21:50   #117
Senior - BHPian

Come on people please state your notches as per your mileage. It will surely helps us understand in maintaining our bikes and adjust our riding style for longevity of our chain set.

This is what it was on my down pipe when I got my chain adjusted the second time.Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-image.jpeg

I mentioned before that I had some condensation issue in my headlight which I reported to Triumph for warranty replacement. Unfortunately it got refused with plenty of absurd views on why it happened and going by the warranty clause in the manual, they are certainly making my fool. I still haven't got the reply in hand but I will post it once I get it. But I thought what the heck, I won't bother taking them to court for such a issue so removed the headlight to clean it. What I found surprised me, it was not condensation but vapours of some oil. With a clean cloth it left a mark of grey colour and smelled like machine oil.

Headlight dome had no trace of oil presence nor did the electrical grease present on the socket smelt or had the grey colour on it. I have a feeling that it's from the sealent used to seal the glass is the cause. Please come forward who has/ had the issue so we can look into the cause and may be report it to Triumph who might look into it and come up with some solution. We are their future business and they should not ignore us.
Old 10th April 2016, 22:21   #118
BHPian

Interesting about the oil vapour. I opened up the headlight today for the first time to relocate the rectifier. Will post the pics tomorrow. There are rust marks inside. We can then see if we have the same symptoms. Also took off the front brake calliper and gave it a good clean.

Cheers,
Sting
Old 10th April 2016, 22:54   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting about the oil vapour. I opened up the headlight today for the first time to relocate the rectifier. Will post the pics tomorrow. There are rust marks inside. We can then see if we have the same symptoms. Also took off the front brake calliper and gave it a good clean.

Cheers,
Sting
Rust marks are behind the headlight but not inside the headlight reflector. If you have the same issue as mine then you will have those vapours inside and above the half of the reflector. You will see it if you switch on the headlight. That is when it becomes more prominent. I have seen it only on one Bonnie so far. I will report it if get it again. For now it is as good as new.

Did you applied the copper grease on back of the pads? I haven't opened mine yet so don't know how the are fixed and how they slide/move.

Last edited by Randhawa : 10th April 2016 at 23:05.
Old 11th April 2016, 23:17   #120
BHPian

I finally got around to doing some DIY maintenance over the weekend.

1. Rectifier relocation
2. Front brake caliper cleaning

The rectifier relocating bracket had been lying around with me for a few months. This is how it looked before:
Name:  Before Relocation.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  105.2 KB

Opened up the headlight to get some additional wire freed up:
Name:  Open Headlight.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  98.9 KB
After:
Name:  Rectifier relocated.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  133.2 KB

Unfortunately the front number plates were torqued too hard and I could not open the bolts with my allen keys. The allen sockets are on the way so will relocate the front number plate later.

FRONT BRAKES:

Opened up the front brake caliper which are held with two M8 bolts and only one retainer pin.

As expected not the best sight:
Name:  Without Pads Before.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  124.8 KB

Before:
Name:  Caliper with Pads.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  90.3 KB
Name:  Without Pads Open.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  120.6 KB

After:
This pic can be used as a reference for the position of the anti rattle clip.
Name:  Without Pads After.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  141.2 KB

Clicked pics as various stages to use as reference while reassembling the caliper.

The process I used was to:

1. Clean the caliper with warm soapy water and brush
2. Gently pressed the front brake level to pump out the pistons marginally
3. Then used RustOleum disk brake caliper cleaner with a generous spray.
4. Applied a light dose of Wd40 avoiding any excess that could reach the pads.
5. Applied a light spread of copper grease on the bolts and the rear of the brake pads- again carefully avoiding any spill or excess from reaching the contact pads.

Some useful numbers:

1. Minimum pad thickness should be 1.5mm
2. The disc ideal thickness is 6.5mm and replacement should when the thickness is reduced to 5.5mm
3. Caliper retaining bolts should be torqued to 28nm
4. Front brake retaining pin torque: 18nm

Will clean the rear caliper next.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote