Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 1st December 2016, 19:37   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

10,000 KM SERVICE UPDATE:

At 10k kms this should have been the second service. However, since I got the bike serviced at 5k kms before the Ladakh trip this was the third service done.

Work carried out:
  1. Engine Oil and filter change
  2. Air Filter change - I got this done proactively
  3. Throttle body balancing
  4. Front and rear brake pads changed - got EBC HH sintered brake pads
  5. General washing and cleaning

EBC HH Brake Pads: I've driven about 1200 kms since the change (1000+on the highway) and have can't see any noticeable change in braking. I've always found the braking on the Bonneville to be good so wasn't expecting much anyway. The cost saving was worth it.

Cost of EBC brake pads: Rs 1800/- each for front and back
Triumph OEC : Rs. 2500/- each for front and back.

Unfortunately, the irritating whirring/krrrrrrr noise has returned in the front brake pad and I had to hear it for the return 900kms journey to Pushkar. I thought I'll open up the front caliper and clean it up. Unfortunately, the service center over torqued the screw that keeps the retaining pin in place. I now can't get the brake pads off!!

With 2 years nearing completion I'm increasingly getting convinced that I need to be doing the routine oil and filter, brake pad changes etc. myself. The high cost for routine service just does not seem to be justifying a trip to the service station.

Here's what the bill looked like.

Name:  Bill.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  108.9 KB

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 08:58   #122
BHPian

Pushkar Ride:

After getting the bike serviced I did a solo trip to Pushkar for the Annual Camel and Horse fair and the religious occasion of Kartik Purnima.

Trip Summary

Route: Delhi>Jaipur>Ajmer>Pushkar and return
Kms: ~900kms

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-wp_20161111_16_40_04_pro.jpg

TIRE CHANGE AND UPGRADE:

After the Pushkar ride the Bonneville has crossed 12k kms. The rear tire was good for another 2-3k kms in the city. The front I think could have lasted a lot more. However, I have a 5000 km couple's ride coming up so had to change the tires earlier than I would have wanted to.

I've had no complaints with the Metzelers- they performed great despite the heavy load and rough roads my wife and I put them through. However, they are priced obnoxiously high!

I looked around at various options and finalised the Pirelli Sport Demons based on a the lower price and the good feedback on Triumphrat.com. They were also available with the tire shop 5 mins away from my home.

To meet the speed and weight rating I had to upsize to 140/70/17 (66H) instead of the 130/80/17 (65H). The 130 section tires were only available with a maximum 62H rating.

The front tire was also changed but has the OEM sizing.

Summary:

Rear Tire - Pirelli Sport Demon 140/80/17(66H) - Rs. 4800
Front Tire - Pirelli Sport Demon - 110/70/17 (54H) - OEM sizing and weight rating - Rs. 3200

Bought from - Universal Tire House, Lajpat Nagar-II, New Delhi

Both tires are mid 2015 manufactured. The dealer had 2 PSDs in this sizing the other one was a late 2014 manufactured tire.

The Pirelli/CEAT dealers quoted prices at least 30% higher than UTH.

The dealer did a horrible job at fitting the tires. I had to to come back home and realign the chain, set the tension right and open and refit the exhausts which have to be removed for the rear tire replacements.

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-wp_20161126_12_18_20_pro.jpg

Old vs new rear tire pattern:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-wp_20161126_13_14_11_pro.jpg

Old vs new front tire pattern
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-wp_20161126_13_16_03_pro.jpg

Re-aligned chain:
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-wp_20161127_11_37_20_pro.jpg

It goes without saying that the bike handles so much better due to the new shoes. The next trip will tell whether they hold up as well as the Metz did.

....until the next epic ride.

Cheers,
Sting

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2016 at 16:48. Reason: As requested :)
Sting is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 11:49   #123
Team-BHP Support

Sting : Good to see that you are enjoying the Bonnie even after the 2 year mark.

Needless to say, I truly miss mine and enjoyed the ~12,000 kms on it done in 9 months

I just happened to swing by your thread and saw Triumph cost remained stable over the years and not lowered. It's a good decision that hereon you plan to service the bike yourself

Actually, 9K with brake pads replacement is not that bad. However, my grouse with them is their 6K bill for each service which is quite high but, then I reckon it evens out since the service intervals are 10,000kms apart

Look forward to a comparison review of the Metzelers vs.Pirelli Demons once you put some miles on the new tyres

Btw, I loved the Metzelers and they had an amazing grip but, show it even a little bit of gravel the Bonnie would skid all over the place. Do check if Pirelli Demons perform better under gravel tarmac conditions

Cheers and Enjoy the Bonnie and keep sharing lots of pictures of your rides
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 14:57   #124
Senior - BHPian

Sting, is that a motion pro chain alignment tool? Where did you get it from and how much?

Very nice thread you're maintaining here, makes me want to open one for the Versys myself (avi - dont look at me).

Cheers,
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 16:02   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Very nice thread you're maintaining here, makes me want to open one for the Versys myself (avi - dont look at me).
I will certainly look at you and also in an admonishing way

God knows what's stopping you to share your review about the Versys. I think it's but fair to give it back to this lovely community what you learn from it

Don't you think?
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 17:52   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Very nice thread you're maintaining here.

Sting,

Thank you for taking the trouble of making this thread so detailed! It is very informative, and makes it interesting to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Front Tire - Pirelli Sport Demon 140/80/15 (66H) - Rs. 4800
Rear - PSD - 110/70/17 (54H) - OEM sizing and weight rating - Rs. 3200
That's cheaper than the Michelin Pilot Street tyres I just bought for my Duke 200!

P.S: I think the tires are the other way around?

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 23:40   #127
BHPian

I keep following this bike/thread with a lot of love because I made the mistake of going for a Kawasaki ER6n when I always wanted the Bonnie. And then my wife never went on a proper ride with me. Been trying to sell the ER, but the market is so full of lowballers, I don't think I will be able to sell it. Been thinking of picking up a used Bonneville that has done 27000 kms. It has new tyres (Pirelli, I think), and rides like a dream. My wife and I rode it for a short distance and just fell in love with it.

Given Bonnies are keepers, what do you suggest I do? Buy it? The price quoted is pretty reasonable as well. That way I can have one Kawa for solo rides and the Bonnie for two-up riding. Does it make sense buying a Bonnie that has done 27000 kms already?
Oreen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 08:49   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
Given Bonnies are keepers, what do you suggest I do? Buy it? The price quoted is pretty reasonable as well. That way I can have one Kawa for solo rides and the Bonnie for two-up riding. Does it make sense buying a Bonnie that has done 27000 kms already?
While I will let Sting answer your query in detail. Here are my 2 cents

1. As you rightly said, Bonnie is for keeps and can be ridden as much as you want as it's as reliable a motorcycle can get. No issues except for general wear and tear. There are folks who have done 100K + kms too and still happy with it.

Just the cost might increase as the kms pile up which is a general phenomena with any automobile

2. Just ensure you get a good deal as the Bonnie owners has really put the bike to use in the < 3 years he has owned it

Here is a thread you might want to take a look at :

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled...-too-much.html

Good-luck and look forward to seeing your bonnie thread soon
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 17:11   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
While I will let Sting answer your query in detail. Here are my 2 cents

1. As you rightly said, Bonnie is for keeps and can be ridden as much as you want as it's as reliable a motorcycle can get. No issues except for general wear and tear. There are folks who have done 100K + kms too and still happy with it.

Just the cost might increase as the kms pile up which is a general phenomena with any automobile

2. Just ensure you get a good deal as the Bonnie owners has really put the bike to use in the < 3 years he has owned it

Here is a thread you might want to take a look at :

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled...-too-much.html

Good-luck and look forward to seeing your bonnie thread soon
As owner of an EFI Bonnie from 2008 I would say, you should go for it. Mine is a low frequency usage Bonnie so far with only about 30K on the clock till now.

The only money spent on mine other than the usual service & running expenses are, 1 set brake pads front & rear, 1 set of sprockets and 1 set of tyres and an occasional detailing (twice).

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 08:48   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding colors to this thread

R3, Bonnie, Versys 650.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-psx_20161211_130440-large.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 19:49   #131
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in response, gentlemen. My wife and I were on a motorcycle trip that we just completed yesterday.

Quote:
Look forward to a comparison review of the Metzelers vs.Pirelli Demons once you put some miles on the new tyres

Btw, I loved the Metzelers and they had an amazing grip but, show it even a little bit of gravel the Bonnie would skid all over the place. Do check if Pirelli Demons perform better under gravel tarmac conditions
Thanks Avi! I just completed a 4500km ride on the Pirellis and and can say they are much better all round tires. I'll post more detailed observations shortly.

Quote:
Sting, is that a motion pro chain alignment tool? Where did you get it from and how much?

Cheers,
Thanks Red Liner. The ownership reports significantly helped me take a decision when I was searching for a motorcycle. Will look forward to your report- the more perspectives the better.

Mine is probably a copy of the Motion Pro alignment tool since it does not have any branding on it. I bought it online from redlineplus.in for about 2k IIRC.

This is how the misaligned chain looked like right before my trip. I'm quite sure it wouldn't have done a lot of good to the chain and sprockets in my recent trip.
Name:  WP_20161127_11_36_18_Pro.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  128.9 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Sting,

Thank you for taking the trouble of making this thread so detailed! It is very informative, and makes it interesting to read.

P.S: I think the tires are the other way around?

Cheers
Thanks Joxster! Glad you enjoy reading it.

Haha! Well spotted. They are the other way round. I'll get it corrected.

Quote:
I keep following this bike/thread with a lot of love because I made the mistake of going for a Kawasaki ER6n when I always wanted the Bonnie. And then my wife never went on a proper ride with me. Been trying to sell the ER, but the market is so full of lowballers, I don't think I will be able to sell it. Been thinking of picking up a used Bonneville that has done 27000 kms. It has new tyres (Pirelli, I think), and rides like a dream. My wife and I rode it for a short distance and just fell in love with it.

Hey Oreen, I thought the Bonnie boat had sailed for you!

27k on this bike is hardly any kms. The odometer should not worry you at all as long as the motorcycle has been well maintained otherwise. The bike is very basic - but whatever it has is very well made and can last a lifetime. My wife and I did 4500km in 2 weeks and after some grueling riding, the bike rides as good as it did on the day I bought it - infact better, I finally feel I have run-in the engine. I can't figure out what maintenance to give after this marathon, nothing is out of place!!

If your wife is keen to ride with you, you should get a motorcycle that does justice to her interest. Even if it means a slight financial loss for trading a motorcycle. The only thing better than riding solo is riding with your partner. Can't put a price to that experience, can we!

Road quiz:

This is the marathon road trip we took from Delhi. Any guesses which road this is?

Name:  DSC_2370 A.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  146.2 KB

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 15:57   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Road quiz:

This is the marathon road trip we took from Delhi. Any guesses which road this is?
Is it Auli road in UK? Or rohtang pass in Himachal?

Btw, I just returned after a 1825kms drive into the himachali mountains but, unfortunately on 4-wheels
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 17:17   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Is it Auli road in UK? Or rohtang pass in Himachal?
Avi, It's the Arabian sea on the right.

That's the Coastal Highway - MSH 4.

My wife and I did Delhi- Goa - Delhi via the Coastal Highway. Pure bliss!

Cheers,
Sting

Last edited by Sting : 27th December 2016 at 17:20.
Sting is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 21:27   #134
BHPian

Awesome Sting, Doing a Ride Delhi-Goa-Delhi is really fantastic. Which route did you take? Delhi-Jaipur-Indore-Nashik-Mumbai-Goa?
And I really agree with you on the experience in riding along with wife.
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 12:24   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Avi, It's the Arabian sea on the right.
My bad! The whiteness to right looked like clouds to me and thought you were in the mountains

Delhi-Goa-Delhi must have been one amazing ride.

Look forward to a detailed report of this ride accompanied by pictures
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote