Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 10th January 2015, 23:29   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Hi Rakesh,

VnH - You sure could get it done at Tusker. As much aligned as they are towards Screaming Eagles products, they would source the VnH for you as well. its a different ball game with VnH.

We start our rides from close to Tusker (though not in front of them). We #LLB are now enjoying a great brotherhood minus the politics of the official chapter and its egoistic officers.

If you wish to ride tomorrow, please ride down to Lavelle road, opposite the Lamborghini showroom at 6:00 and we will all be there. Riding to Avalabetta.

If you are in the Street 750 WhatsApp Group, touch base with Nikhil or Santosh and you would get to know more about us.

Ride safe, see you around!
Cheers
Shubz
I checked with Tusker folks on V&H. Surprisingly they support only Screaming Eagle and not V&H. I understand on V&H, the engine warranty goes.

Its quite sad to see the such group dynamics. I have heard about so many of them. The ride groups are about enjoying the passion for biking and create a common purpose bond. Not sure why anything else should matter. And thats the reason I have been patient with joining in. So far it has been solo or with some friends.

It would be great to join you guys, surely next week, if not tomorrow morning. Thanks for the info, will also try to get hold of WhatsApp group as soon as I can.

Take care and ride safe!

Putting up this picture to show a bot of dirt that collects once you take off the cowl (it does even when you have it on, as cleaning inside is very difficult). This dirt if not taken care of, can get worse. First pointer is on a white connecter to the speedometer collects dirt as there is tape residue (for wiring). Trying to figure out best way to cover it.

The cowl sockets (2nd pointer) will also collect dirt in good amount over time. And the are around it. Just in case you are going to put the cowl back, make sure its cleaned up properly.

There is a bit of 'cluttered' look in the front and it could be improved. Placeholder for an opportunity to do something about it. Let's see how this progresses in the given availability of time.

Perhaps a nice black plate in between the speedo and headlight, fixed on two screw holes left by the cowl going out. That should also prevent dirt from going to the white connector area.

Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review-harleyfront.jpg

After 5 days of hibernation, she's cleaned up and ready to go to Tusker for the backrest. Will put up some pictures soon.

Also a clearer view of the seat 'locally fixed'

Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review-harleywash.jpg

Take care folks and have a fantastic ride tomorrow. God bless!

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote feature to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts. See this (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP) for more information. Please also avoid cross posting in multiple threads (you have posted this in your ownership thread and in this review thread. In future, if you want to post something important in this thread from your ownership thread, just post a link instead of a complete post).

Last edited by n_aditya : 16th January 2015 at 11:50. Reason: posts merged
rakesh_S is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 17:57   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review

Hi, Loved your Post . Well i too had a the women love to call it "mid life crisis" and bought a bike in my 52nd year !!. Only diff is that its a bajaj avenger . The Harley will be in next year :-)
Took time to get the confidence back but its back and it feels great . Now I have to fight with my son over the bike :-))))
Seacat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 21:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Hi, Loved your Post . Well i too had a the women love to call it "mid life crisis" and bought a bike in my 52nd year !!. Only diff is that its a bajaj avenger . The Harley will be in next year :-)
Took time to get the confidence back but its back and it feels great . Now I have to fight with my son over the bike :-))))
Welcome back to biking Seacat! Its never too late to start again Like they say 50s is the new 40s!

And welcome to Team BHP, I guess you have joined recently as I have.

My best wishes and I really hope you get a Harley soon, though I assure you your son will fight harder then
rakesh_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 01:36   #19
BHPian

Smile Re: Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review

Congratulations on your HD Street 750 mate. I stay in Goa and will be there for IBW would be glad to catch up with you
akshayhonda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 17:32   #20
BHPian

Completed a month with the Street.

Ridden 773 Kms at the time of service (pretty ok for the time available). Also helped by the Christmas holidays. It may be difficult to do so in a normal working month. The bike was due for the 1st service.

Cost of first service - a little over Rs. 5.5 K. I had not reported any issue/problems on the bike.

The bike feels smoother and a bit more responsive. Clutch, brakes and other feel factor remains the same on all operations. However strangely the focus of the head light has changed and high beam has become like low beam. On low beam it appears as if only the parking is on. Need to go back for readjustment.

The registration of he bike was though and number was sticker-ed on.

Some accessories considered during the service:

1. Headlight bulb change - The stock socket HID bulb, priced at about Rs. 1900, was not available. It works like Philips Xtreme would. Perhaps, will fix Philips, its cheaper and as effective and working like a charm on my Duster since 8-9 months.

2. Centre Stand - Keeping in view two issues - 1. It provide a better parking stance in narrower spaces, starting with the space available in my building. 2. In case of puncture its much easier to park it on a Centre Stand and check for the foreign object/puncture wound. HD quotes 16K for it. Have shelved the idea for the time being, perhaps later.

3. Gloss factor - Looked at the filter, gear box round covers with 111th anniversary logo, along with the replacement grips, gear shift rubber, foot rests etc. At the given price, I felt there are better things to spend money on right now, like a V&H / Screaming Eagle. Perhaps when the second service is due

4. Besides universal Mirror Extenders, had a look at one that fits into Dynas/Softails. Its a bit different and costs about Rs 3900. Quality and looks are top notch and its possible to fit it onto a Street with different bolts. Will need to figure this, as its as expensive as any other solution in the market

What was fixed:

The HD back rest was fixed in the previous week. It is solid and well built. The luggage rack can take about 4 Kgs (although I feel one can carry a bit more, going by the feel of the build). Wife is happy and she's very comfortable with it. Appearance wise its made right size and fits in well with the overall looks.

Tools

Picked up some 'Stanley' tools like torque wrench, allen keys and spanner bits for long trips on the bike (Harley follows Metric sizes - wheel spanner would be 31.75 and not 32 as in Indian size sets). A roll of ductape, just in case.

Also picked up a local but decent tubeless puncture kit. Air compressor came from HD (Rs. 2900), appears to be good quality, although haven't tried it out yet. Connects straight to the battery tender port. 'Slime' air compressor could be an alternative choice (wasn't available in stock anywhere online) to connect straight with tender port. Any other brand you buy, most of them will expect a cigarette lighter socket connector. Can be bought from HD for about 2.5 K I guess. This setup is useful, if you are looking at charging your phone or connecting any other device like GPS etc.

All things put together, go into the Tank Bag in a roll. Perfect!

Nearing 970 Kms plus as of today. On the way met folks riding Dukes, Hondas, a Ninja650 and a Street Bob. The Ninja and Street Bob guy gave a thumbs up . I couldn't help but appreciate the way Ninja guy was geared end to end.

Yes, the bike has a slight vibration creeping in around 120 +. Don't worry, the wind blast will take you mind away from everything else (I need to get ear plugs)

A picture from morning ride (Somewhere near Chikkaballapur).

Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review-harley5-copy.jpg

The bike is getting better with more kms on the Odo. The confidence to ride and appetite for longer ride, also appears to be going up geometrically. Looking forward to the long weekend of Republic day!
Old 22nd January 2015, 02:18   #21
BHPian

Congrats on your Denim Black 750!

I got mine delivered on 11th Dec. Denim Black.

First Service got done at 710 Kms on the odo. And cost 5600 Rs.
The best part of the service being, the synthetic oil has gone, instead of the normal oil that came from the factory. This has had 2 main pros:
1. Reduced heat in Kasturba Road traffic
2. Smoother feel of the bike.

I haven't had a chance to try out the bike on a long stretch after the service.
But my biggest concern before the service was, on NICE road or any other 4 laners, I felt, the vibrations at 110 Kmph and the speed wasn't picking up beyond 110 in 6th gear.

I attributed that to new non-run-in Engine.
What has been your take on this aspect? Did u experience something similar and has that got any better after the service?

Regards,
Pramod

Last edited by pramod : 22nd January 2015 at 02:19.
pramod is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Congrats on your Denim Black 750!

I haven't had a chance to try out the bike on a long stretch after the service.
But my biggest concern before the service was, on NICE road or any other 4 laners, I felt, the vibrations at 110 Kmph and the speed wasn't picking up beyond 110 in 6th gear.

I attributed that to new non-run-in Engine.
What has been your take on this aspect? Did u experience something similar and has that got any better after the service?

Regards,
Pramod
Yes, post first service the bike is noticeably smoother. Not sure about the heat though. I stil feel it in equal amounts both sides.

Around 120 I have also felt the vibrations creeping in. But its not alarming. What hurts more is the wind blast and that perhaps can be sorted out only with a windscreen (IMO windsreen looks lame on this bike, but useful on long trips).

The vibrations may not go, and perhaps limitation of the bike. I do however expect smoother rides as the engine matures.

Ride safe!
Old 23rd January 2015, 02:27   #23
BHPian

Great review and congratulations Rakesh S! That's an awesome bike. I guess "mid life crisis/madness" (or what ever you may call it) got to me sooner than later and now I'm waiting for the delivery of my Street 750. It's been a month since I booked and I'm getting impatient by the day.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 15:45   #24
BHPian

Congratulations Rakesh! I am thinking quite seriously of following your example.I am 55 now and have started to wonder whether I should give up my Royal Enfield Bullet 500 and go in for the Harley experience!
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 16:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Congratulations Rakesh! I am thinking quite seriously of following your example.I am 55 now and have started to wonder whether I should give up my Royal Enfield Bullet 500 and go in for the Harley experience!
Regards,
Ashok
Ashok, the fact that you're still riding and enjoying it makes 55 just a number. Its heartening to hear from folks like you and get inspired.

I wish and pray I'm still riding at 55.

Go for the Street, I do not see why you shouldn't. I can assure you, you'll enjoy every bit of it.
Old 26th January 2015, 17:57   #26
BHPian

The long weekend was well utilised. Did our first 300+ kms ride to Waynad.

The traffic was killer all the way. It did ease out a bit after Nanjangud (terrible roads). Taking out the stoppages, we did the distance in about 7 hours (ideally 5 1/2 to six is considered ok).

Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review-niceme.jpg
NICE ROAD when we started.

Please note the mirror extensions from Dyna/Softail. Fixed it myself with another set of bolts. The HD guys said they couldn't.

That reminds me of another practice that Shell Gas stations have, i.e. you need to get off your vehicle when they're filling up your bike. While I do not disagree with working within a given ambit of safety, precautions and rules, I do wince at the fact that we will also someday transform ourselves into a paranoid society. HD and Shell experience just tells me that. But HD needs to understand that Indians haven't started suing yet, nor are the Consumer Courts brimming with confidence to bring anyone down to their knees in a libel, not yet. So while you do not stock anything in your yard till someone orders it and do not have solutions to your mirrors available at even several week's notice, let some people work on it. I have landed up scratching up a few things while trying to fix the extensions, but I do have a view now. If HD is not confident about fixing things this way, go to Shivajinager, pick up one of the local mechanics, he will provide you some invaluable insight into the mechanical world!

And if you make me sit for 1 1/2 hrs just to adjust the focus on the headlight, there is something terrible wrong with the customer service or the capacity to see it through. Tusker HD you need to improve on this. I care a damn about your 'brotherhood' programmes, till you take care of my needs on time every time.

Also if you're selling an HD jacket with a back armour pocket, please ensure the armour is available. Tusker guys will not import it as its not mentioned in the booklet that they have in the showroom. Like I said, HD need to sync up it shopping experience in India.

Perhaps its time to write to HD.

Lets get back to the trip now:

Rynox saddlebags was purchased in a hurry, as we planned the trip mid week before the holidays. I was looking at Nomad V2, but I was told by the Rynox folks that it wouldn't fit onto the Street (I'm still not sure why really), but didn't want to risk, so ordered Stacker model. Full marks to Rynox guys in Mumbai, who shipped it the same evening and I had it in my house the very next day! The saddlebag fitted without any issues and kept its place throughout the trip. My wife did say that the bottle in the holder on the right side did cause her some amount of discomfort. Other than that we had no issues whatsoever. It packed all the things we needed for the 2 1/2 days trip and were also able to bring back some tea and honey.

Cramster Tank bag held my tools, Puncture repair kit, HD Air compressor and lot of other things like glasses, some stuff to eat, cleaning cloth, a bottle of water etc. etc. Mounted on the tank over a microfibre cloth, it budge at all. The size was perfect and I barely noticed its existence. I'm quite sure Rynox tank bag would have been a better choice, but since Cramster was bought earlier for shorter rides, it stayed, and didn't disappoint at all.

The bike breezed through the whole thing, without a hiccup. Some stretch after Mysore had terrible roads, and the bike went through without getting ruffled at all. Wifey was quite relieved to have received no jarring shock to her spine. However, the bike did hit more than a few times on some of the speed breakers in Bandipur (one speed breaker = 100mtrs) and on Mysore Road. But then these humps are designed unscientifically. This is also because I could not shift the stiffness of the bike on the rear shockers. The frail little spanner given by HD is supposed to do that, which predictable failed to, as it fails to hold the slot effectively and keeps slipping out. It scares you as you might hurt your hand very badly. I tried with my deteriorating A* SMX2 gloves (some use for it after paying 4.5K) on and still did not succeed. I guess the only effective way to do it is in the service centre or have a spanner that has a better hold. I do remember one of Hondas I owned in the 90s had a similar system and did not need a spanner to shift. One could do it with a screw driver! HD needs to figure this out

The trip was laden with a lot of attention to the bike and some unwanted ones. During our stay near Eddakkal Caves , the road towards the caves, passed next to the parking lot of the Guest house. The Guest House Owner covered the bike with a white sheet, as people passing by started sauntering in with all kinds of intention. Post that the curiosity died out, as no one noticed the bike

Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review-waynadphoto.jpg

During the trip we came across couple of Streets heading toward Mysore. One of them had a Screaming Eagle (nah, it didn't sound anything great at lower speeds. Not like V&H or even Loose Cannon does), lots and lots of Bullets, a Bonneville (loved the bike for the way to goes), KTMS and even a gang of 6-7 Suzuki Shoguns (Mint condition all of them!) Loved it!

At the end of the trip, it became clear:

- The Bike is wonderful and trouble free on long trips
- Its not a very reliable bike to lean on, specially in the ghats. It can scare you sometime as it pushes itself in a straight line. As a rule you need to get in slow/very slow and then sprint on the way out
- It can go uphill without a fuss. Near the caves the gradient must be 40 Deg or over. We went doubles and all the luggage, with no stress
- You will enjoy this bike in a straight line. And more if you are solo! Having weight behind you reduces the nimbleness of the bike drastically. It doesn't let you forget that.
- Street, for whatever it is built for, hurts and can hurt even more, when you're in traffic. It heats up and about 30 minutes later, the repetitive clutch will make you wish you had taken a car
- I really hope I never do this stretch again. While it may be macho to go through all the traffic, bad roads etc. its certainly took away the pleasure of riding.
- The Horn sucks even more on the highway!!

And I'm quite certain that doing almost 700 Kms in a few days, I will manage Goa this year!

Hope you folks had great weekend and enjoyed yourselves. Do share your experiences when you can.

Thanks for reading this.

Rakesh
rakesh_S is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 18:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Hi Rakesh,

VnH - You sure could get it done at Tusker. As much aligned as they are towards Screaming Eagles products, they would source the VnH for you as well. its a different ball game with VnH.

We start our rides from close to Tusker (though not in front of them). We #LLB are now enjoying a great brotherhood minus the politics of the official chapter and its egoistic officers.

If you wish to ride tomorrow, please ride down to Lavelle road, opposite the Lamborghini showroom at 6:00 and we will all be there. Riding to Avalabetta.

If you are in the Street 750 WhatsApp Group, touch base with Nikhil or Santosh and you would get to know more about us.

Ride safe, see you around!
Cheers
Shubz
OT, So, it was you guys we met at the top! Was wondering which group it was. I was riding the Ninja that came up Avalabetta and you guys started down as soon as we reached.

I noticed that you guys had a Scorpio accompanying you and they may have taken a video of us riding up, any chance you could share that? Thanks.
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 18:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
I was riding the Ninja that came up Avalabetta and you guys started down as soon as we reached.
OT
Unable to find Avalabetta on google maps. Could you kindly provide the route to the place, and what should I set my destination on? Best time to reach the summit? Is it as crowded as Nandi or serene?
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 11:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
OT
Unable to find Avalabetta on google maps. Could you kindly provide the route to the place, and what should I set my destination on? Best time to reach the summit? Is it as crowded as Nandi or serene?
Have sent you a PM. Didnt want to clutter this thread.
killjoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 22:53   #30
BHPian

Couple of things that I forgot to add in the writeup.

The bike gave an average of little over 25 Kmpl in this trip. Usually I've got about 20 in city or shorter rides so far. Not bad at all for a bike of this size.

Someone also mentioned being 5' 11", I was a bit tall for the bike. I do agree now, as my legs were begging to be straightened by the time we reached Wayanad/Bangalore.The high knee posture also tends to push you into the seat resulting in a sore tail, despite raised seat and better cushioning (not to forget cycling shorts under my jeans).

Not sure even if 'tallboy seat' will make a real difference on a long ride. Highway pegs onto the crash guard should, and riding pants of course! Saturday reserved for that

Tall riders need to consider this issue before committing to Street (I'm not saying anything new here, but just reiterating with my personal experience).

It's still perhaps easier to get used to the pain than getting another taller bike

Have a great weekend folks, and ride safe!