Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 18th February 2015, 15:50   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review

I got my Street 750 delivered today, yeah!!! I had a question about the running in period. I got conflicting statements about the running in period of the bike. One person tells me that for the first 80 kms I will have to maintain speeds of only upto 50 kmph and then after that I can ride the bike to it's max speeds. Another service advisor informs me that for the first 80 kims the bike will have to be run only at 60 kmph and the after that upto 800 kms I can go upto 120 kmph. following that he said I could run the bike to it's top speeds. Not sure who is correct now.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 16:57   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
I got my Street 750 delivered today, yeah!!! I had a question about the running in period. I got conflicting statements about the running in period of the bike. One person tells me that for the first 80 kms I will have to maintain speeds of only upto 50 kmph and then after that I can ride the bike to it's max speeds. Another service advisor informs me that for the first 80 kims the bike will have to be run only at 60 kmph and the after that upto 800 kms I can go upto 120 kmph. following that he said I could run the bike to it's top speeds. Not sure who is correct now.
I would follow the manual. Plus its not the speed of the bike but the speed of the engine that you need to keep in control. I follow the manual/warranty book and do "uncle-driving" (refers to my uncle who never went past 35 in his HH sleek) during this period. You wouldn't want the metal imperfections going around the system too quick in my opinion.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 18:13   #63
BHPian

Quote:
More than the speed, it depends on how much rpm you maintain/shift at and how you treat the bike. Aggressive shifting during this period is harakiri. Follow the manual, though. Because we believe what we see, not what we hear.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 23:20   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on the India's only 30k plus done bike in 6 months.The engine blew while he was on his way to Goa today. He was lucky to stop the bike and save his life. Will share more info and pix soon.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 23:40   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Update on the India's only 30k plus done bike in 6 months.The engine blew while he was on his way to Goa today. He was lucky to stop the bike and save his life. Will share more info and pix soon.
Good to know that the rider is safe. I think all of us are more than eager to know what happened.
abhimanyu_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 11:13   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Yikes! That's really scary. Do you have more details on the incident? Out of curiosity, how is the owner tracking the claim of "India's only 30K plus done bike in 6 months?". That's is some serious riding.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 21:43   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Snehal, the HD manual and a competent service person will recommend as follows:

a. Be gentle with the bike initially. Do not cross 60 Kmph for the first 80 Km
b. Max 120 Kmph till you cross 800 Km
c. Post 800 Km, one can go higher
c. First service 1600 Km or one month which earlier

It would be pertinent to ride in areas which can allow you to vary your speeds and gears. Riding at the prescribed speed constantly doesn't help to let the engine set in.

Take care and ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Yikes! That's really scary. Do you have more details on the incident? Out of curiosity, how is the owner tracking the claim of "India's only 30K plus done bike in 6 months?". That's is some serious riding.
An engine blowing out is definitely a serious thing to happen.

30K plus in 6 months is serious riding, but at the same time the bike would need some serious care for the bike. You are riding an average of 166 + kms in a day!

Also one needs to be discretionary, fitting aftermarket parts, specifically which can impact bike's performance and handling.

IMO, riding long distances and stacking kms provides a sense of pride and achievement for the rider. But it also helps companies like HD find opportunities to service and sell parts quicker. Its a simple marketing technique that they have adopted, while we are lining up to get the 10K 20K patches.

Ride a bike hard, stack up kms, get badges/trophies, post it on FB / different social media forums, feel genuinely good about it / boast to the whole world....BUT...

Look after the bike you have used to achieve all the kms. Without your bike in being looked after, you can only create records on your two God given feet!

I find it difficult to believe an engine can blow up if one has taken care of it and used the right parts. We do not live in an age where consumer biking technology is so uncertain (notwithstanding all the disclaimers and warranty restrictions).

Contrary to my belief, if the bike was well taken care of and aftermarket parts affecting bike's performance or handling were not used, then the rider should feel free to sue HD in the nearest consumer forum /court for manufacturing defect/mental agony/physical injury/Maan Hanee etc. etc.

Or accept a free engine replacement from HD and shut the hell up about it!

Thankfully there are no hospital bills to be taken care of

IBW got over...it was my first...will write soon about it.

Ride safe!

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th February 2015 at 10:25. Reason: Back to back posts.
rakesh_S is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 23:07   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
Snehal, the HD manual and a competent service person will recommend as follows:
It would be pertinent to ride in areas which can allow you to vary your speeds and gears. Riding at the prescribed speed constantly doesn't help to let the engine set in.

Take care and ride safe!
Thanks Rakesh! I had another question for you. Since you've had the Street 750 for sometime now, I suppose you would be able to get me some advise.
I plan to use my bike only on weekend rides and through the week he will be parked in the garage. Every weekend I plan to ride around 100-150 kms and sometimes longer I suppose. Will this be enough to keep my battery from going dead or do I need to ride my bike more frequently?
Snehal Sekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 09:35   #69
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to use my bike only on weekend rides and through the week he will be parked in the garage. Every weekend I plan to ride around 100-150 kms and sometimes longer I suppose. Will this be enough to keep my battery from going dead or do I need to ride my bike more frequently?
Should not be a problem at all. As the bike gets older, it would help to keep a battery tender handy at home, just in case it needs to be charged. Its available with HD. One can charge bike battery overnight with it.

Most of us use the bike on weekends and I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with that. I got my bike in Dec and so far no issues so far.

Do join us on the weekend ride, we are a bunch of riders who are passionate about biking. People from all walks of life come together and have a great time. You could PM me your number, we will get you added to the group.

BTW, liked you writeup on your bike, will soon add inputs to it.

Ride safe and ride hard!
rakesh_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 16:23   #70
BHPian

Thanks Rakesh! That bit of advise puts my mind to ease.
I would love to join you folks on your Sunday rides but since I am a NOOB on the forum I still don't have the privilidge to "PM" you my number. I guess you could let me know the meeting point and the time and I could join you guys whenever you go on your rides.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 19:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

The bike blowing off is a story befitting a C grade bollywood story!

That bike has seen the worst abuse of its life!

That bike runs over the speed breaker at 100+ mph
That bike is taken off road more often than it runs on-road
That bike has all sorts of aftermarket stuff fitted on it.
That bikes electrical system is all messed up with switches popping out in all places!

The only thing that happened to the bike was - the oil drain plug must've busted after all the circus that was done with it. Poor bike must be wishing an early death than go through the current abuse!

The rider (who probably has just 1 grey cell) stops on a flyover, in the dark, with not even the blinker on. HD authorized personnel approach him asking him whats the problem, he has the audacity to ask the guy to get lost.

Then our group goes past him. Our group sweep/back up car stop by and offer help etc.

Next thing we see - We are blatantly being blamed for not stopping for help etc.

When confronted - We get a public apology!

And I apologize to Rakesh to have hijacked his thread!

Guys - Just ride the bike as instructed in the manual. Don't be too apprehensive. The bike is just fine. its a beauty by itself! Do NOT abuse it! Love it and it will love you back!

Rakesh sir - please do include me in your Sunday rides as well! ;-)

#LLB

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th February 2015 at 10:25.
Shubz is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 20:13   #72
BHPian

Was the bike running on LPG to catch fire? Never heard of any Harley catching fire and exploding like this fellow claims on HOG page. Some people do anything and everything for attention and I am sure this is one such case.

With respect to this incident, some of our folks did inspect the bike and it was a oil leak due to all the hammering the bike went through. A pre-ride bike check might have avoided this situation especially when you are heading for a long ride. There is a shelf life and saturation point for every product and I am sure this bike is begging to be kept in a museum than ride.

Now the new claim is that the Harley has provided a new free engine. Might be just that the service folks fixed the oil seal issue and the bike is just fine. Why would Harley provide a free engine. if that is the case then I need 1200 cc upgrade kit for my sportster.

Rakesh sir Apologize for hijacking your thread but need to nail this misconception here. Also, looking forward for your write-up on your new helmet and IBW ride

#LLB

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th February 2015 at 10:24. Reason: Only two permitted smileys per post.
Dust_Harl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 21:06   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rakesh! That bit of advise puts my mind to ease.
I would love to join you folks on your Sunday rides but since I am a NOOB on the forum I still don't have the privilidge to "PM" you my number. I guess you could let me know the meeting point and the time and I could join you guys whenever you go on your rides.
Will do Snehal, I will keep you informed.

This Sunday appears doubtful as people have just got back from IBW, and busy with their work and personal commitments. We are definitely out next Sunday.

We do not have heirarchies of people or bikes. Its one group and people enjoy each other's company and common passion for riding.

It will be great to have you riding with us.

Ride safe!

Shubz & Dust_Harl, your candid and constructive inputs are more than welcome. Please feel free to write on this thread. The idea is that people should benefit from each other's experiences.

Thank you both for providing us your inputs and information.

I think the incident was unfortunate and perhaps uncalled for. And I'm certain we will all learn from it and strive to do better as we move on. I hope this certain rider does so, before any of us

Will write shortly about the IBW and yes the new helmet on riding gear thread

Shubz Sir, will let you know about the rides soon

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th February 2015 at 10:24. Reason: Back to back posts.
rakesh_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 01:52   #74
BHPian

IBW Feb 2015

Come Feb and the excitement rose on daily basis to ride down to IBW and see it for the first time. I had only heard or read about it, various opinions and descriptions, some glowing reviews and some downright criticism. One of the writers went to the extreme of saying that if he would see 50 bikers together anywhere, nest time, he'd be the first to run in opposite direction

He attended the IBW this year too!

The intention here is not to describe the event as a 'blandscape' of pictures and what happened at the event. We all know that by now and seen/read some extensive coverage in various forums and they’re good.

The intention here is to present an experience that I had as a first timer, of an event so important for Indian Bikers and the ones who make a living through them. And what I observed during this event.

The ride

When I was just out of college around 1988, four of us thought it would be cool to go to Tirupur and see how T-shirts were made. So we rode on two Ind-Suzukis all the way on those horrible roads (then) to Tirupur, saw how T-shirts were made, stayed in a dilapidated hotel and rode back a day later to Bangalore. I distinctly remember two things. ‘Goli Soda’ and pain in the butt. The Soda would keep us awake and the pain was killing us

27 + years later I decided that I need to see IBW. And it would be cool to see so many things happening in the biking world in one place. I had done nothing like this before. Driving in a car with Ac and music was far away from riding to Goa.

But there are times you need to break your own myths.

So a few weeks earlier, with wife on the pillion we set off to Waynad, and then a little later to Hassan with group. Covering a combined distance of 1100 kms, I thought would give me the requisite confidence to cover long distances. We remembered two things. A Coffee Day in any given town, and pain in the butt. This time coffee kept us awake, and the pain was still killing us.

So one thing hadn’t changed in 27 year, the stock bike seats!

So before we left for Goa, I had the second iteration done on the seats. Got gel pads for the seat and spent almost the whole day at it. End of the day it felt perfect and I rode home comfortable, though tired.

Every trip is a new trip and you always wonder if you can manage the distance without turning yourself purple. 700 kms felt very difficult and exciting at the same time. While wife slept peacefully, I couldn’t sleep that night.

19th Feb morning, we gathered and set off to Goa around 5 AM. It was still dark and the predictably all the idiots, had their lights in your eyes mercilessly. I had a new HJC with anti fog pin-lock insert on my lid, untested and unanticipated (more on it later). The headlight glare and the light on the poles, lit up like Christmas tree through the visor! I had a choice. Stop, find a suitable damn tool and yank the second layer out. Or carry on, although slower, and try not to slow others down. Mercifully the daylight broke in the next one hour and I could see things clearly. But by the time the second group caught up and I was certified slowest rider in the whole gang!

Like I have said earlier, the bike is best ridden single. Else it keeps reminding you of the combined weight that you carry in form of pillion, saddle bags etc etc. Leans will not come easy and maintaining triple digits constantly will be a challenge. And the bigger HD sibling will leave you behind.

The vibrations on the handle bar stuck like a cheap suit.

As we progressed, we all got into the required rhythm and made it to Chorla and then to Goa. We had made it, although happily tired.

Two things became prominent again. The stock seat of all the bikes hurt almost everyone. I didn’t hurt at all! Gel helps. You need to wear biking shorts, and the combination works extremely well.

For me and my wife it was the time of our lives!

The event

Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review-img_4442.jpg

My first thoughts of the event was crowd…lots and lots of it. But the crowd was manageable or so it appeared. The check in was quick and HD owners were provided an area to park. The other bikes had it too, but at a fee. HD owners could get beverages free throughout the day. And unlike most Rock shows that I have been to (this is HDs rock show) people mixed around pleasantly and discussed stuff. Clapping, cheering and whistling was limited to the award ceremony and some DJ music that was played on top of the truck console. I did find that strange. No brawls, no fights, no catcalls, no bad behavior…nothing! It was like a spring fair that happened in schools days.

The only time you heard noise, pleasantly though was when a rider wanted to show off his expensive exhausts…and at times the almost perfect acoustics of bike speakers! There were quite a few bikes with some sophisticated music systems ridden by some colorful riders.

The venue was riddled with stalls. Banelli, Indian, HD, Triumph, Vespas, Riding gear, Accessories, T shirts, Jeans etc. etc. Mods and customs were plenty, barring a handful most of them were under/over done and not so impressive. I do remember seeing one with a glass gas tank!

Most people spent quality time outside the venue, in shacks on the beaches, in pubs/restaurants or riding elsewhere in Goa. People spent some quality time with their spouses, friends and family. IBW was just a reason to be there.

The HD parade had 1300 + bikes assembled at the start point near Baga. I’m certain a similar number rode the other way.

The place felt like a furnace with burning gas smell all over. Water and Ice cream sold quickly, make up ran down faces and people clambered to find shade at the three edges of the compound. After some wait we were mercifully flagged off and the roads were clear for us to ride through. There were some enthusiastic photographers in a Mahindra, right in the middle of the parade, weaving through taking snaps.

What struck me suddenly, was this guy who stood in the traffic that was stopped to get us through, had prominently put both his middle finger up in the air with a wry smile and anger on him, which reeked of f… you!

In a flash through that guy, Goa had expressed its disgust with the event, wherein their day to day peaceful lives had turned upside down with bikers all over and then blocking traffic for a Harley parade. Just imagine we do it in Bangalore. It will be a mayhem!

There is a set of society in Goa dependent on tourism and they revere this fact and ensure the tourists get the best possible treatment during their visit. There are lives dependent on this trade where 6 months of hard work provide for the next 6. But there is also a section which is self reliant and usually the educated and not employed with tourism business, do not really like the way Goa has become a fun spot wherein the liberal ways have given way to anarchy that has upset their peaceful existence and perhaps value system.

Yes Sir, not everyone cares what bike you ride, as long as you get out of their town as soon as you can. Aptly commented by one of the local passerby to me one of the evenings, ‘Earn a lot of money, then come here and live for month’ (and make their lives miserable).

I hear HD has decided to pull this Annual show elsewhere. I do hope they chose wisely. While it’s a relief for Goa, its also worth noting that there is no other place as tolerant. And IBW is still just a reason for people to holiday there. They wouldn’t do so if it’s not Goa! HD has a task cut out for them.

The real bikers sat in the open tent at IBW listening to stories by some great travelers and riders. For them it was about their insatiable hunger for traveling and riding a bike. And perhaps finding themselves away from maze of living and making a living.

All of us came back with 3-4 patches from HD, a few Tshirt, some shopping and memories that will stay etched in our hearts and minds.

Memories of riding with a set of guys who bond on one common passion, sense of humor and most importantly respect for each other.

The LLB Gang!

Harley Davidson Street 750 - Ownership Review-llb1.jpg

Most importantly – The bike

Street 750 over time belies and also predictably confirms to the several reviews written all over the world.

First thing first. It’s a money pit. About 2 ½ months of ownership will tell you why:

To be comfortable on your long rides, you need:

Highway foot-pegs – whatever suits your height. For me the HD basic ones for 2.5K don’t because of its height on the crash guard. It needs to be lower. For that I need adjustable ones. That’s 10K plus footpegs. Keep 14-16 K aside.

Seats – You need to get a Mustang / Saddlemen or spend time at Rao seats or in a similar shop to get it right. On return from Goa, I had to do a 3rd iteration to get it near perfect. So far I have spent 9K, but then I have been experimenting. Someone who goes by a well-tried design, can do it in lesser money. I have a friend now who has bought the Mustang for Street from US. Looking forward to replicating it now.

Wind Blast – To be comfortable on this bike on long rides, you need a windshield. Besides the HD ones (20K) there are some universal options and you will land up spending 10-20K depending on what you fix. All imports. Without a windshield, you will get tired quicker and your chest will bear the brunt. Your helmet will also push you left or right if you don’t crouch a little and keep a straight-line stance. Taller you are worse it gets. Of course you are on the higher side of three digit speeds

Vibrations – The handlebar and the mirrors will vibrate. It reduces just a bit as the bike matures. While getting back from Goa, it felt a bit lesser. I thought I was getting used to it. However, it was a bit lesser on the weekend ride. So what you need to do is to get lead/steel weighted bar ends. My research tells me Motivation USA makes one of the best for 7/8 handles. Vibronators are not available for 7/8 handles which are probable the best end bars for any bike handle. Motivation with shipment, duties and price will set you back over 8K. But it will help you to move the vibrations to the end of your handle bar, as you add about 220 gms to each side of your handlebar. A cushioned grip/grip cover and a well padded gloves, will also help.

Lights – Despite changing the bulb to Osram Nightbreakers, its not good enough for a highway. You need better lights. Whatever be the bulb or technology you use, single source is usually not enough. What works best is fog lights on crash guard, pointed at the roads. Some of the riders in our group have them and you can follow them comfortably. A pair can set you back anywhere between 5 – 20 K, depending on where you buy them from or what you buy

Exhausts – The stock one we all know doesn’t sound too good, its just about adequate for peaceful riding. At the IBW you are lost. Not that anyone wants to see a Street while everything else looks better, but to make your presence felt you need V&H or something that’s better. But mainly you feel the need to have a free flow, because it just might reduce vibrations on higher speeds. The choked stock one vibrates at lower rpms and it feels miserable after some time. A matching filter and remap will follow as you might like performance enhancement. You are looking at spending 30-50K depending on what you want to do.

Honk - You also want to change the Horn. A loud HD one from Fatboy can set you back by 6K. You are not paying for the horn here, but trying to keep your warranty intact for this ‘frivolous’ need, as aftermarket will erode it completely. You also need to be heard on noisy highways of India by unwanted pedestrians and idiotic truck / bus drivers, just to keep yourself safe. But HD or the govt. cares two hoots about it (pun intended).

You would also do some other things:

Cleaning – As you do long trips, specifically in red loose mud of IBW grounds, Formula soap will not work too well to erase the splash marks on the matt paint of lower half of the bike. It sticks quite a bit, and you need some serious shoulder workout. You’ll be then tempted to get some specific detergent/cleaners like Muc-off to clean it properly, especially the rims. A dirty bike is macho, but certainly not cool. Leave that look for 4wd offroaders. And get some good quality polish too.

Accessories – You may want to have some cool stickers, glittery grips, foot pegs, shifter, flag pole, paint jobs to make your bike ‘different’, handlebars for reduced reach, saddlebags etc etc. They all cost some serious money put together!

Most importantly as you start doing some serious biking, and watching others, you will spend a lot of money on gear. But this is the only thing you will happily need to spend on. All the above is optional, and you can even live with a dirty bike!

ATTGAT is the way to go. More so, as I saw a dear friend and an excellent experienced rider have a fall during our Goa trip, due to bad roads. Besides God, one can only be thankful for the quality gear he had on. It is absolutely important to be humble on this front and ensure one wears the best quality of gear one can afford.

The brands are many and we can debate & review/appreciate/criticize the same to death. That is a different issue. What works for everyone is that you wear the best you can afford and what suits your body type.

Am I happy with Street?

Yes I want to be. Because despite all its flaws and screw ups in its design, I still can’t find anything better at this price, that can give me this kind and class of ride. The engine is a gem and hoot to ride. I look forward to riding longer distances, and who knows maybe the Big5

Yes there is a bike a lot of us want to own besides the Street.

Triumph Tiger 800…but, side by side in the same garage as the Street. And if I sell the Street, it will be only for a Fatboy! But, that’s not the subject of discussion here.

What is the takeaway at the end of four days of IBW trip:

Street is an excellent bike. The best at this price point, with all its flaws. There is nothing else, period.

Wear the best gear you can afford and protect yourself. There is nothing macho about bleeding to death

IBW is not perfect, but its getting better. But it also needs to provide a larger stage for experiences sharing and travelogues. Commercials can and will take care of itself

There are Indian boutique companies who are working hard on producing products for the biking world and make a mark. Some are very good and getting ahead in the game. I hope it moves faster and gives us better choices against overpriced and unorganized imports by another handful trading companies. Frankly, it sucks buying stuff at double the actual US price, out of no choice.

Banelli so far, is not impressive. Indian Scout is a chic magnet. Triumph will be the dark horse in the Indian biking race. HDs will sell by sheer brand power. And they will sell Street by the dozens every day. But why would they have such a large boring stall. And a yellow Fatboy? What were you guys thinking?

HD owners are constantly waiting for parts, accessories etc. from their dealers. For days, weeks and sometimes months. Some dealers do not honor cashless insurance transactions, some happily do. Some dealers are flushed with stocks of everything, while some look like deserted western saloon. There is a flip-flop that bikers are getting tired of and ‘jugaad, has become order of the day. A stall, a workshop, a set of salesy information would have helped not only HD to sell, but also us bikers to look at educating ourselves and rely on HD to get parts, conveniently.

IBW organisers - Please don’t force poor bikers to buy minimum Rs 500 worth of coupons, its criminal for someone who is just looking for water and nothing more. Else let people carry their own bottles at least.

For HD folks, free beverages all day was much appreciated. Music was cacophonic. Give us some quality bands guys, there are some good Indian ones too. We don’t need a DJ Truck, stalls and the stage blaring some idiotic music at the same time.

The different prize and recognition ceremonies by HD, went unnoticed by a large set of bikers. To be candid, biking is not about just stacking miles and badges only. Its also about quality of biking and travel one does. Put some of the great bikers in this country up on the stage and honour them with your special badges (not that they’re dying to get it either). It just adds value to the stuff that you do. Most bikers own a bike for the love of riding. They attempt going to 5 distant destinations in India, as its great fun. It’s not about your marketing gimmick of Big5. We all know as adults, more riding means quicker servicing, more parts and more revenues. We don’t mind it, as long as your service is reasonably good and parts are available on time! You don’t know how much it hurts a biker everyday that the bike spends its time parked, in your service bay.

Perhaps the HD India MD should concentrate more on that and also on fair practices on customization, rather than making two nonsensical sentences conversation with everyone who passed by. No Sir, you didn’t bother to shake my hand as you got busy looking the other way when I walked up to you…appreciating some crappy custom on a Street that was covered with Denim! How did you even let it in the arena? At least I paid 3K for the ticket! And I have bought a Street too. Don’t bother to shake my hand, but please rectify the screw-ups you have in your dealerships, plug the opportunity cost and revenue losses. I will send you accolades along with my fellow bikers, you can hang framed in your office and use it for your next year’s appraisal!

HD also surprised me by bestowing honour on a rider who did maximum amount of mileage on a bike in six months. This is while the bike was screwed out of shape without the requisite care. And then they announced a makeover/replacement for the engine that passed away not so peacefully. What is HD trying to do? Encourage all of us to be on our bikes 166+ kms a day and get honoured at some piddly ceremony of yours and perhaps get a new engine? Have you guys lost it? A young mind has been influenced by you, that it was a cool thing to do, and he will do it again at the cost of his own well being. It was more than hilarious to see this young kid on FB looking proud to the hilt displaying a cheap plasticky trophy that will add no value to him in any way.

I think HD needs to re-look at their marketing strategy if you would like to be a company that adds value to bikers and biking. And hit that guy hard on his head and tell him to take care of his bike by regular servicing and replacement of worn out parts if any and not risk his life again. Don’t give him a replacement engine. It is a bad precedence.

Will I go to IBW again? Yes I will, because in between all the muck, all the inconveniences, all the mayhem of roaring bikes and dust, there lies a world which loves to ride and share their experiences through a meaningful interaction. Next time I hope to spend more time in the travelogue section, which I couldn’t this time. I was busy trying to soak in everything that was around. Next time I know what to avoid.

And I do hope we retain Goa as the venue. No other place will tolerate it.

It was great meeting some of you during this trip.

We will again, next year!

Ride safe and ATTGATT!
rakesh_S is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 10:44   #75
BHPian

It is informative, insightful posts like these that have made me an active member of TBHP. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. You have raised so many important points that merit healthy discussion.

Quote:
In a flash through that guy, Goa had expressed its disgust with the event, wherein their day to day peaceful lives had turned upside down with bikers all over and then blocking traffic for a Harley parade. Just imagine we do it in Bangalore. It will be a mayhem!
The non automobile enthusiast Bangalorean would have reacted just the same way if a similar ride happens here. He would have gone home, cussed away to glory and wished that it was the last time such a big gathering interferes with his usual life. And he would have a negative perception about the HD brand to top it off!

Quote:
HD owners are constantly waiting for parts, accessories etc. from their dealers. For days, weeks and sometimes months. Some dealers do not honor cashless insurance transactions, some happily do. Some dealers are flushed with stocks of everything, while some look like deserted western saloon. There is a flip-flop that bikers are getting tired of and ‘jugaad, has become order of the day. A stall, a workshop, a set of salesy information would have helped not only HD to sell, but also us bikers to look at educating ourselves and rely on HD to get parts, conveniently.

We all know as adults, more riding means quicker servicing, more parts and more revenues. We don’t mind it, as long as your service is reasonably good and parts are available on time! You don’t know how much it hurts a biker everyday that the bike spends its time parked, in your service bay.
You have given non HD owners a wonderful glimpse of the real world of ownership. When people spend (relatively) big money on a motorcycle, you often find them extolling the virtues of the bikes but glossing over some of the less favourable aspects especially servicing. From what I have heard, Hyosung owners might be the only exception as they complain about the service

Quote:
HD also surprised me by bestowing honour on a rider who did maximum amount of mileage on a bike in six months. This is while the bike was screwed out of shape without the requisite care. And then they announced a makeover/replacement for the engine that passed away not so peacefully. What is HD trying to do? Encourage all of us to be on our bikes 166+ kms a day and get honoured at some piddly ceremony of yours and perhaps get a new engine? Have you guys lost it? A young mind has been influenced by you, that it was a cool thing to do, and he will do it again at the cost of his own well being. It was more than hilarious to see this young kid on FB looking proud to the hilt displaying a cheap plasticky trophy that will add no value to him in any way.
As an outsider who got to know about this from posts on this forum and hearsay, it is the strangest story I've heard in a while. Hopefully the wrong example set in this case doesnt backfire for both HD and other owners.

Quote:
Will I go to IBW again? Yes I will, because in between all the muck, all the inconveniences, all the mayhem of roaring bikes and dust, there lies a world which loves to ride and share their experiences through a meaningful interaction.
Amen!
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote