Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 8th January 2015, 22:31   #1
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Kawasaki slashes Z800 price by Rs.50,000

Probably the best time to buy the Z8 now.

Prices slashed by Rs 50,000

While Triumph's and Harley's have increased the prices across their range, Kawasaki has gone ahead to cash in the opportunity by slashing the prices of their popular Z800 by almost 6.25%

Source: Z800 Price Slashed

Quote:
Japanese two-wheeler major Kawasaki has slashed the price of the Z800 motorcycle in India. The street fighter, which was launched at Rs. 7.90 lakh (ex-showroom Pune), is now available at Rs. 7.35 lakh - a drop of Rs. 55,000. The reduced prices will be valid till March 31, 2015. This price cut is the result of a reduction in the cost of production of the motorcycle in Thailand, where the bike is manufactured.
Name:  download.png
Views: 9048
Size:  153.2 KB

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2015 at 20:45. Reason: Adding our own news item :)
//M is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 23:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Kawasaki slashes Z800 price by Rs.50,000

I think Kawasaki grabbed the oppurtunity to cripple the STripple even more. Good for customers.

However- I also wonder why Kawasaki can't price the 300 better, when the 650 and z800 are priced really well against the competition.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 15:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Could this also be a move to stand up to Benelli?! I have a feeling that Benelli bikes would cost a lot lesser than the famous Japanese brands i.e Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda. Great news from Kawasaki!!
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 15:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I think Kawasaki grabbed the oppurtunity to cripple the STripple even more. Good for customers.

However- I also wonder why Kawasaki can't price the 300 better, when the 650 and z800 are priced really well against the competition.
Many a times premium space players do this to maintain exclusivity of their product range. The difference in production cost of BMW 3 and 5 Series is just 15-18% (trim to trim) and still the retail price between 3 and 5 series differs by a considerable margin to the end user.

In this case the slashed price will be a litmus test for Kawasaki as at times price slashing generates negative sentiments among buyers (you have seen the case of another premium 2 wheeler manufacturer recently wherein the company has even offered a cash back to earlier customers who bought bikes at a higher price).

I would hold myself beyond this point.

Last edited by i74js : 9th January 2015 at 15:43.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 16:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kawasaki slashes Z800 price by Rs.50,000

So is Kawasaki offering cashback to old customers of z800, the way Suzuki did?
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 17:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
So is Kawasaki offering cashback to old customers of z800, the way Suzuki did?
I doubt they would; it is not a drop as high as the Inauzma's (in absolute terms or even percentage terms) but just rather a 50k revision of price. Price Revision happens all the time; take the Fiesta Classic as an example. The customers who brought it at the higher price were never offered a refund. I think this is just a case of 'respositioning'; maybe their Costing department had messed up in the first instance and now somebody found out the error
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 19:29   #7
BHPian

Wow!! You know what, Bajaj/Kawasaki are the companies doing the most for bikers in India. They have good products and are pricing them aggressively and not charging a stupid amount of premium just because they can. This makes Z800 a very very good value proposition. Too good to ignore.

I was waiting for the CBR650F, but I think Honda is now going to have a tougher time pricing the bike (If they want to sell it) because now Z800 makes even more sense.

Bajaj/Kawasaki, my respect and deepest gratitude!!

Regards
Rachit.

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2015 at 19:17. Reason: Typos
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 9th January 2015, 20:57   #8
BHPian

An 806cc inline 4 CBU model with 112 PS is cheaper than 675cc inline 3 CKD model with 79 PS.

This means either Kawasaki has priced the Z very aggressively or Triumph is ripping off Indians heavily.
theredliner is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 15:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Wow!! You know what, Bajaj/Kawasaki are the companies doing the most for bikers in India. They have good products and are pricing them aggressively and not charging a stupid amount of premium just because they can. This makes Z800 a very very good value proposition. Too good to ignore.

I was waiting for the CBR650F, but I think Honda is now going to have a tougher time pricing the bike (If they want to sell it) because now Z800 makes even more sense.

Bajaj/Kawasaki, my respect and deepest gratitude!!

Regards
Rachit.
You said it!

Bajaj/Kawasaki is really going after the reasonably priced performance bikes segment. This will force Honda to go aggressive on the pricing of the CBR650F and also send other manufacturers back to the strategy rooms to counter Bajaj's assault, also with the rumour of the bigger dukes coming soon at a mouth watering price.

Atleast Honda has announced the launch of their potent mid level bike. Also surprisingly while Bajaj/Kawasaki, Triumph, Harley, Honda, Benelli etc are looking at cashing in on the enthusiasts thirst for mid level bikes, the other giants like Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati etc seem to be ignoring the segment entirely.

Last edited by doctorque : 14th January 2015 at 15:03.
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 16:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
You said it!

Bajaj/Kawasaki is really going after the reasonably priced performance bikes segment. This will force Honda to go aggressive on the pricing of the CBR650F and also send other manufacturers back to the strategy rooms to counter Bajaj's assault, also with the rumour of the bigger dukes coming soon at a mouth watering price.

Atleast Honda has announced the launch of their potent mid level bike. Also surprisingly while Bajaj/Kawasaki, Triumph, Harley, Honda, Benelli etc are looking at cashing in on the enthusiasts thirst for mid level bikes, the other giants like Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati etc seem to be ignoring the segment entirely.
I completely agree to what you said, not sure why Yamaha and Suzuki are so slow in their response. I understand the limited volumes, but then every business has some investment time and then the returns come.

I think, the faired 600-650cc sports tourer/sports bike category if priced around 5-8 lakhs is going to see the most volumes. Suzuki and Yamaha have bikes in these segments. Dont know why they are so slow. I mean Benelli with no manufacturing setup in India is being brave and taking the risk of coming to India, whereas Suzuki and Yamaha have manufacturing setups but still are not ready to come. All they need to do use some space in their units for CKD operations and they should be okay to start. This will require much less investment too as compared to Harley, triumph or Benelli who had to setup CKD units from scratch. Even Honda has been very slow. Their CBR500 is again a very good bike for India and if priced correctly can generate decent volumes but they have no plans for launching it in India.

Things are improving, its just that they are very slow except for Kawasaki. I was visiting Kuala Lumpur last year and the import tax structure their is probably even worse than India. One of the office colleagues told me that only Kawasaki is the major brand who has started the launches and they are taking the market by a storm.

And I think this has started showing too in Kawasaki's profit books. I am not sure of their profit numbers but out of all the Japaneses manufacturers they are the only one's coming with newer cutting edge models. I am sure this needs R&D costs and since they are able to do means they are generating money. There focus on Asian and other developing markets seems to be paying off. Why cant other manufacturers just take lesson from this.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 17:37   #11
BHPian

I went to Kawasaki showroom to enquire about the price cut - I was told that the price cut was on the OTR instead of ex-showroom. I am a bit surprised!

Anyway, I am pasting the mail below and attaching the brochure, pricelist and finance details for those who are interested (in Bangalore)

Quote:
D​e​​​ar Sir,​

Greetings for the day from Khivraj IKM..

​Thank you for your interest in kawasaki sportbikes. Please find attached below the Brochure,
Finance scheme and price break up of the Kawasaki Z800.
The price of Kawasaki Z800 is slashed by Re.50,000/-.
A special offer from Kawasaki.

Now the bike costs Re.9,19,418/-, On Road Bangalore.

Kawasaki slashes Z800 price by Rs.50,000-z800-brochure.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Kawasaki Pricelist Nov_2014.xlsx (52.1 KB, 621 views)
File Type: docx Z800 Finance.docx (16.2 KB, 656 views)
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 19:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I am pasting the mail below and attaching the brochure, pricelist and finance details for those who are interested (in Bangalore)
That's good news for the Ninjas, Sriram - thanks for this post!
I can confirm that this means that the Ninja Z800 probably costs less than the Street Triple (in Bangalore). I have just taken delivery of the Striple and that was Rs 916k (approx) OTR before the price hike which has been affected last week.
While I am told that they are working out the final OTR on all Triumph motorcycles, the hike is flat 5% on the ex-showroom price. Wow!!
AnkurS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 20:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
I can confirm that this means that the Ninja Z800 probably costs less than the Street Triple (in Bangalore). I have just taken delivery of the Striple and that was Rs 916k (approx) OTR before the price hike which has been affected last week.
While I am told that they are working out the final OTR on all Triumph motorcycles, the hike is flat 5% on the ex-showroom price. Wow!!
OT but since you said that you just took delivery of the ST, do you get any of the offers that the earlier owners of the ST got or just the bike as it stands today?
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 20:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
OT but since you said that you just took delivery of the ST, do you get any of the offers that the earlier owners of the ST got or just the bike as it stands today?
Just the fabulous beauty as it stands today, killjoy. And I'm a happy man! Apologies for taking this OT.
AnkurS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 21:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
@Ankur, I don't know what the Triumph guys smoke now, but all I can say is that it is not good for them.

What a terrific start they had in India! I am feeling terrible that they are really slipping - The detuning fiasco, followed by this price rise.

Congrats on the new ST3! I am happy you picked it up despite the detuning news! Did they offer you any discounts on Arrows and other upgrades?
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote