Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 13th April 2015, 16:36   #151
BHPian

Default Re: DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post

Next up the 600i. However here is where the problem lies. I have been riding a Bull for the past 5 years and I don't like high revs. The motorcycle felt like it was running restricted at a lower power. So I asked the sales guy about it and he said that the peak power and thrust is produced upwards of 4-5k rpm. He was right. It hurried frantically when I gave it the whip in every gear. But revving high is second nature to me;

The Duke 390's acceleration and the fact it needed high revs was not to my liking. The Benelli 300 impressed me. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post

Hope I have confused you more!
I want to join the party in adding more to your confusion

I don't think any of the bikes that you have mentioned can generate high torque at lower revs. Having said that, Duke 390 is a sort of in between the bullet and 600i in terms of torque delivery. In fact 390 delivers max torque at 7000 RPM (though the RPM range is not as less as in bullet). 600i generates peak torque only at 10000 RPM. For 600i, I feel (at least on paper) the torque delivered is less since the bike weight is above 200 kgs. As far as I know, most of the street naked inline 4s get the peak torque delivery even much before 9000 RPM. Compared to your bullet, Duke 390 will struggle in heavy traffic conditions. Since your commute is on the highway, that should not be a problem with the Duke.
Going by your riding requirements, the idealistic choice would be Triumph bonnie which has enough grunt both at the low end and at the higher revs.

Last edited by shan_ned : 13th April 2015 at 16:41.
shan_ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 17:58   #152
BHPian

Quote:
I might get bored of the 300 in an years time and then I might just kick myself for not having bought the 600'.

Confused confused confused!! Please help!!
There is no law in our country against owning more than one bike.

But seriously, with no offence to Benelli/Bajaj owners, IMO, ruling out the Kawasaki has higher a probability of regret & heartburn later. The Kawasaki models in question are definitely worthy of consideration.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 21:48   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been riding a Bull for the past 5 years and I don't like high revs.
But revving high is second nature to me; I usually upshift at the first opportunity
A bit confused mate. Did you mean high revving is not second nature to you?

IMHO, I do not see where the TNT 300 fits in and to me its quite pointless. It does not have the power and perfomance of the KTM 390 at a much lower price nor the smoothness, fit / finish and general quality as well as performance of the Kwacker 300 at a bit higher price. Why would you want to go for this?

You test rode the bike and came back with more confusion than anything else. This alone should tell you that this is not the bike for you

Now the 600i has the USP of being a proper inline 4 at a relatively affordable price. It has had decent reviews too. However, if its high revving nature is not your cuppa, then you should probably be looking elsewhere. An ER6N should keep you plenty happy with its strong mid range and that too at a cheaper price compared to the 600i. The fact that you were considering the TNT and Ninja 300 tells me that the number of cylinders is not really your first concern

Do not turn a blind eye to the Kwackers yet. If you are willing to spend that kind of money, you should keep them on your radar. They have been around for years now (around the world at least, unlike the 600i) and you would struggle to hear a bad word about them. Not being able to test ride one sucks though, I agree

All the best
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 12:12   #154
Senior - BHPian

Benelli TNT300 first ride report by CycleWorld

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/04/15...pecifications/
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 19:38   #155
BHPian

Happened to take the Benelli 600i for a spin today.

You look at it, and you're compelled to think whether it's actually a 600cc motorcycle. The motorcycle seems to be skilfully crafted, but then there are a few places on the bike that have poor finishing. The bike oozes BIG from every angle. So much so, that the fuel tank fit into me like an extended paunch.

Crank her up, and the first thing that blows you (as well as those around you) is the exhaust. Perfectly in sync with the engine, it's mesmerising, to say the least. I wouldn't feel ashamed if it gives some competition to it's litre class counterparts. If a lay man sees this bike on the road, and hears the exhaust, there's no way he'll believe it has a 600cc engine. Such brutal is the sound. Suplexes it's competitors in this characteristic.

I feel, just this.

Took her down the ramp and onto the main road, got accustomed to it immediately. The acceleration wasn't exactly what you'd call 'peppy'. More mature and calm, I'd say. Did pick up lost ground after around 3k rpm. The weight seems to nicely balanced and I didn't have any problems making tight U Turns in heavy 4PM traffic.

The gearshift, however, is butter smooth, something unexpected from such high capacity motorcycles. Shifted pretty fast and without any scary noises.

Which brings me to the worst part of this motorcycle. The clutch.

Now, I've ridden a lot of litre class motorcycles, some incredibly heavy duty ones, but never have I ridden a motorcycle having a clutch which probably ceased all blood circulation in my left palm. I'm not being able to find the right word for it, at present, but all I can say is that Harley Davidson clutches will feel like commuter motorcycle clutches after you experience the pain that the clutch of the 600i gives you in heavy traffic.

The brakes aren't confidence inspiring, but have that 'bite on demand' thing in them. Didn't disappoint me when I purposely revved and braked hard to check their bite. The suspension felt a bit on the stiffer side.

The horn is an embarrassment, just like every other superbike. Relied on my exhaust, and probably appeared as a noob to many.

That being said, at the price it's being offered, it's a steal. I rode it in speeds which the 5th gear could handle and the Torque was pretty visible. Lots of areas on this bike need to be worked on, such as the clutch, finishing and addition of ABS. The TStT still leads this segment for me and will thus remain so. What remains to be seen is, whether Benelli actually lives up to all this hype that it has created. For that, DSK needs to play it very safe and not go the Hyosung way with them.

Attaching the only picture I could click, as this was completely impromptu.
Attached Thumbnails
DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-screenshot_20150417160904.png  

barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 10:53   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
The suspension felt a bit on the stiffer side.
Mate,
When you say the suspension is on the stiffer side what speeds were you doing?

Only intent of asking is, These suspensions are tuned for high speeds and if we potter around 90-100 speeds it makes it all the more obvious of them being stiff.

Probably a ride in the 150-160 should be able to depict the true character of this bike cause that is what it is built for
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 12:02   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
When you say the suspension is on the stiffer side what speeds were you doing?

Only intent of asking is, These suspensions are tuned for high speeds and if we potter around 90-100 speeds it makes it all the more obvious of them being stiff.

Probably a ride in the 150-160 should be able to depict the true character of this bike cause that is what it is built for
I did speeds ranging from the 1st gear ones to those compatible with the 5th gear, as I mentioned. Didn't find any change.

Perhaps you're right with your last point. A ride on the express-way can shed more light on this. But as for city use, I found it pretty stiff.
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 12:46   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found it pretty stiff.
What do you ride currently ?

Do not take me wrong, just seeing the signature with all those beauties am awestruck
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 15:30   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Do not take me wrong, just seeing the signature with all those beauties am awestruck
The signature is my dream garage.

Last edited by barcalad : 18th April 2015 at 15:44.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 19:14   #160
BHPian

Looks like DSK Benelli is taking note of people's current requirements. It's keeping us interested.

for more info : http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-394913.aspx
anilupadhya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 20:08   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Happened to take the Benelli 600i for a spin today.

You look at it, and you're compelled to think whether it's actually a 600cc motorcycle. The motorcycle seems to be skilfully crafted, but then there are a few places on the bike that have poor finishing. The bike oozes BIG from every angle. So much so, that the fuel tank fit into me like an extended paunch.

Crank her up, and the first thing that blows you (as well as those around you) is the exhaust. Perfectly in sync with the engine, it's mesmerising, to say the least. I wouldn't feel ashamed if it gives some competition to it's litre class counterparts. If a lay man sees this bike on the road, and hears the exhaust, there's no way he'll believe it has a 600cc engine. Such brutal is the sound. Suplexes it's competitors in this characteristic.

I feel, just this.

Took her down the ramp and onto the main road, got accustomed to it immediately. The acceleration wasn't exactly what you'd call 'peppy'. More mature and calm, I'd say. Did pick up lost ground after around 3k rpm. The weight seems to nicely balanced and I didn't have any problems making tight U Turns in heavy 4PM traffic.

The gearshift, however, is butter smooth, something unexpected from such high capacity motorcycles. Shifted pretty fast and without any scary noises.

Which brings me to the worst part of this motorcycle. The clutch.

Now, I've ridden a lot of litre class motorcycles, some incredibly heavy duty ones, but never have I ridden a motorcycle having a clutch which probably ceased all blood circulation in my left palm. I'm not being able to find the right word for it, at present, but all I can say is that Harley Davidson clutches will feel like commuter motorcycle clutches after you experience the pain that the clutch of the 600i gives you in heavy traffic.

The brakes aren't confidence inspiring, but have that 'bite on demand' thing in them. Didn't disappoint me when I purposely revved and braked hard to check their bite. The suspension felt a bit on the stiffer side.

The horn is an embarrassment, just like every other superbike. Relied on my exhaust, and probably appeared as a noob to many.

That being said, at the price it's being offered, it's a steal. I rode it in speeds which the 5th gear could handle and the Torque was pretty visible. Lots of areas on this bike need to be worked on, such as the clutch, finishing and addition of ABS. The TStT still leads this segment for me and will thus remain so. What remains to be seen is, whether Benelli actually lives up to all this hype that it has created. For that, DSK needs to play it very safe and not go the Hyosung way with them.

Attaching the only picture I could click, as this was completely impromptu.
What would you comment on Benelli's reliability? And what about service and accessories?
vishal.jayakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 20:31   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
What would you comment on Benelli's reliability? And what about service and accessories?
The build quality isn't that great, you know. It has it's flaws, here and there. It's a terrific looker and is perfect for all the exhaust-note-aficionados. But, somehow I feel that it's the kind of bike which will require 3 or more cranks to start after letting it be in the garage for a pretty long period. But hey, that's just me.

As far as service goes, I'm not too confident about it. Benelli is being presented to us under the DSK flag and as you might be knowing, DSK in India hasn't exactly done a stellar job with Hyosung. The after sales remain the biggest blot to Hyosung's Indian career.
Accessories - I didn't see many in the showroom and nor did the sales fellow have any clue about it. From what I know, there are plenty of after-market exhausts out there which are compatible with most of the Benelli lineup.

Last edited by barcalad : 7th May 2015 at 20:32.
Old 7th May 2015, 20:56   #163
BHPian

Quote:
The build quality isn't that great, you know. It has it's flaws, here and there. It's a terrific looker and is perfect for all the exhaust-note-aficionados. But, somehow I feel that it's the kind of bike which will require 3 or more cranks to start after letting it be in the garage for a pretty long period. But hey, that's just me.

As far as service goes, I'm not too confident about it. Benelli is being presented to us under the DSK flag and as you might be knowing, DSK in India hasn't exactly done a stellar job with Hyosung. The after sales remain the biggest blot to Hyosung's Indian career.
Accessories - I didn't see many in the showroom and nor did the sales fellow have any clue about it. From what I know, there are plenty of after-market exhausts out there which are compatible with most of the Benelli lineup.
For the 600i, the first thing i would want, if i buy one, would be to upgrade to a proper windscreen. Not only will it help curb windblast at highway speeds, but also greatly enhance the looks and differentiate it from other "ordinary commuter bikes"
Old 7th May 2015, 21:48   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
For the 600i, the first thing i would want, if i buy one, would be to upgrade to a proper windscreen. Not only will it help curb windblast at highway speeds, but also greatly enhance the looks and differentiate it from other "ordinary commuter bikes"
Plenty of options for that, mate. Starting from the one used on the Fazer to the one used on the Speed Triple, there are many choices for you.
Old 7th May 2015, 21:53   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Plenty of options for that, mate. Starting from the one used on the Fazer to the one used on the Speed Triple, there are many choices for you.
You're saying it's the exact same fit? No alterations whatsoever?