Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 15th November 2015, 11:02   #211
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The 600 as per specs has 85bhp but it seems like that's just on paper. Being a inline 4,i was able to hit higher gears in short distance, but the speed was not increasing along with it.
As you mentioned, it is still a detuned R6 engine and power is still at the top. You will have to keep throttling in a gear to get the bike moving. Shifting soon will definitely give a lacking feeling on the 600i! Power comes only above 6k RPM or so..
man_of_steel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 19:00   #212
BHPian

Benelli launching the Benelli TNT 25 on 18th December. A very surprising move, this. Not sure what strategy in the company adopting.

Is there any news of the TNT 300 being discontinued or something?

Source.
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 19:21   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Benelli launching the Benelli TNT 25 on 18th December. A very surprising move, this. Not sure what strategy in the company adopting.

Is there any news of the TNT 300 being discontinued or something?

Source.
If I'm not mistaken, the TNT25 is a single, which ideally shouldn't encroach on the TNT300 territory (or maybe lack thereof). But then, if it's priced higher than the CBR250R I highly doubt it'll sell well. The Duke 390 in that price range is impossible to beat and it's well more than worthy of having a price tag slightly higher than the Honda.

Benelli should do what they did earlier, that's bring VFM Italian motorcycles to the masses (a la TNT 600i and GT)
Shanenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 07:47   #214
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Took a short test ride on the same bike with a showroom guy pillion. All the bikes had aftermarket exhausts as well. I guess now that is a marketing gimmick.

If I may ask, is this your first 600 and above cc riding experience? I am asking because almost all higher cc bikes will give serious power only higher in the rev range and I am not talking about harleys which are bigger bullets in the power delivery sense. Any 600 cc bike including the popular Ninja 650 feels docile when riding slowly below 4500/5000 rpm range. Most have described it as akin to a Karizma. Its only post 6000rpm that the bike wakes up, not that its un ridable at lower rpms. Like wise the Benelli 600gt and 600i are awesome to ride post 6000/7000 rpm, the best thing is the engines are butter smooth across the rev range so one cant feel the higher rpm unless one hears it on the modded exhaust or looks at the rpm meter. The way the speedo numbers flick from a sane speed to higher speeds is seen to be believed, but this is possible only on open highways. Riding these bikes in city traffic is a waste of time, its better to ride a scooter in that.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th July 2016 at 11:22. Reason: Trimming quoted post
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 10:25   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
If I may ask, is this your first 600 and above cc riding experience? I am asking because almost all higher cc bikes will give serious power only higher in the rev range and I am not talking about harleys which are bigger bullets in the power delivery sense.,
Yes, you are right.
The previous sports bike I rode was a Honda VFR400, years ago.

I agree with you about the power being on the top end which I couldn't experience on the Benelli 600 since there was a showroom person as pillion and even if he wasn't there, I couldn't since I was on congested roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
the best thing is the engines are butter smooth across the rev range so one cant feel the higher rpm unless one hears it on the modded exhaust or looks at the rpm meter. .
I felt the smoothness of this engine in the short ride I had. The test bike did have an aftermarket exhaust as well.
Unfortunately I couldn't let it rip.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 19:51   #216
Senior - BHPian

The discussion on the bike's weight is quite interesting.

Is a 200+ kilo bike heavy? Yes it is!

Is it an abomination? No it isn't

There are concerns around power on tap and how one would be in a world of pain if you were to drop this bike, with the nearest helpful living soul being multiple miles away

My views on the topic:

I've got the POWERRRR(??)!! - A 200 kilo, 27 odd BHP bullet, loaded like its stocked for the apocalypse; does Spiti and Laddakh each year. Most of them dont keel up and die. With this in mind, a bike with a little more weight and almost twice the power will be inadequate? Dont think so. But this is all relative. Bring a Katoom in the equation and the specs start to look yawn inducing. But when you spend some time understanding what this bike is trying to achieve, its not horrible

Pick me up, before you GO GO!! - You are in the middle of a tropical rainforest with you fully loaded Benelli TRK, riding through slush and very very technical trails, when you come across a fallen tree trunk bang smack in the middle of your path. You try and "hop" your front wheel onto the log and BAM, you are on your side. You try lifting up the bike and it would'nt budge. And it hits you just then ......... You brought the wrong bike to the wrong place

The purpose of this and many similar ADV motorcycles, including some very popular bikes such as Versys, V Strom and the likes; is not to take it in the harshest most technical terrain possible. It will be more comfortable over some broken stretches of tarmac, will handle hard pack gravel and dirt better than a regular street bike. It gives up a lot of its off road prowess (Think 80:20 at best, Street : offroad) for better comfort on long distance touring, 2 up even.

Those super lightweight, off road oriented motorcycles aka dirtbikes with lights, while great on gnarly terrain would literally be a pain in the butt when riding long distances

In conclusion, "adventure" for majority of the folks would be taking the bike up to Leh - Laddakh or something similar; and this motorcycle will fit the bill. Its pricing will decide its fate, but I am glad that at least manufacturers are finally waking up and offering something in this so far neglected segment
Urban_Nomad is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 00:51   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I may ask, is this your first 600 and above cc riding experience? I am asking because almost all higher cc bikes will give serious power only higher in the rev range and I am not talking about harleys which are bigger bullets in the power delivery sense. Any 600 cc bike including the popular Ninja 650 feels docile when riding slowly below 4500/5000 rpm range. Most have described it as akin to a Karizma. Its only post 6000rpm that the bike wakes up, not that its un ridable at lower rpms. Like wise the Benelli 600gt and 600i are awesome to ride post 6000/7000 rpm, the best thing is the engines are butter smooth across the rev range so one cant feel the higher rpm unless one hears it on the modded exhaust or looks at the rpm meter. The way the speedo numbers flick from a sane speed to higher speeds is seen to be believed, but this is possible only on open highways. Riding these bikes in city traffic is a waste of time, its better to ride a scooter in that.

Do they have a Dyno chart. That will give a good idea of power delivery between RPM. For example the ducati will have better power delivery at the same RPM as say an R6 say upto 6K rpm. The R6 will take over from 7-8K rpm as mentioned above where more power gets achieved between 7-13K band.

I would always check the Dyno chart than actual experience for its simply riders capability to get the best out of the bike.

If you have never rode a high rpm engine you will take time to understand its working. For example, i ride a Fz6R and i constantly push the engine to >10K Rpm and even enjoy the sound of cut off. But even in second gear i am already above the driving speed limits.

In first gear these bikes at full RPM will be over 60-90KMPH in many cases. And it reaches there very fast.

The regular bikes and even the Karizma a nice 20BHP engine runs around 6K rpm. We are talking about twice the throttle requirement in simple rpm to rpm comparison.

I also come from a bullet and i always say, the difference is ride it hard. You never full throttle a bullet or push its RPM to max. On the other hand high compression, high RPM engines are designed with safety limiter as well to push those engines to use the RPM.

Sample Dyno Chart attached here. Check the power output by RPM. This can give a good idea of different bikes actual behavior on road and the way you maximum utilize them.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-146_0607_01_z600cc_shootoutdynochart_horsepower.jpg  

VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 16:02   #218
Senior - BHPian

Test rode the DSK benneli TNT 300 and TNT 600I,

The bikes look very much similar visibly, so one cannot tell them apart in one glance.

The 300 is light, nimble and doesn't take much to master. I had a 2 KM test ride and I loved it, I really wanted to buy one, I personally felt its better than the duke 390 in terms of straight line acceleration and the low end torque, the sound is just addictive, I have not heard a parallel twin make such a lovely music in a very long time.

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_4132.jpg

I was shaking before riding the 600i, on papers its more than twice a bike, and has a weight advantage but I quite didn't connect with the bike, I felt the 300 was much nimble, it was flickable and the best sounding bike when the right hand is twisted, in fact it is so addictive that one keeps twisting the throttle and the bike responds well in a manageable way. The 600i is a bit more committed, my wrists were aching in 2-3 minutes(still are aching) the bike was not leaping forward the way it was making a racket, I rode the bike after a few test rides by others, the bike was very hot and was idling at 2k RPM, the gearbox was flawless, the shifts were smooth, the brakes were superb and very progressive. I feel my time with the bike was not enough for me to really get connected to it, I have requested a 5-6km test ride on Sunday. Lets hope it converts me into a 4 stroke lover from a hard-core 2stroke Junkie.

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_4133.jpg

The marketing strategy is good, they are offering test rides to anyone and everyone, the brand has strategized to focus on the lower price segment compared to their competition and it will attract a lot of guys who might not have the moolah for a S-triple, however want something that would turn heads, apart form the Honda its the only inline 4 in the 600 cc segment.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 13:20   #219
Senior - BHPian

Took the Benelli 600 on a much longer ride this time, the bike is great and getting used to is very easy, I was confident enough to push the bike above 85 MPH(not discussing speeds here to violate any forum rules, just a basic comparison for anyone to understand) This was my first experience riding a bigger engine powerful bike for this long, besides the Triumph Bonneville. So here is what I felt.
  • The bike was very planted, loved the way it handles.
  • The brakes are very adequate to take it from 100KMPH to 0 KMPH very fast, I had a panic braking situation when an auto driver decided to cross the express highway all of a sudden, it stopped without any drama, however I was shaking.
  • There was not much wind blast at 85MPH
  • It creates a lot of heat, my legs were burning, someone dropped the bike and they said its been running hot ever since
  • Decent low end torque, not anywhere near the bonnie though
  • The power surge was normal

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 21:10   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Test rode the DSK benneli TNT 300 and TNT 600I,

The bikes look very much similar visibly, so one cannot tell them apart in one glance.

The 300 is light, nimble and doesn't take much to master. I had a 2 KM test ride and I loved it, I really wanted to buy one, I personally felt its better than the duke 390 in terms of straight line acceleration and the low end torque, the sound is just addictive, I have not heard a parallel twin make such a lovely music in a very long time.

I was shaking before riding the 600i, on papers its more than twice a bike, and has a weight advantage but I quite didn't connect with the bike, I felt the 300 was much nimble, it was flickable and the best sounding bike when the right hand is twisted, in fact it is so addictive that one keeps twisting the throttle and the bike responds well in a manageable way.

The marketing strategy is good, they are offering test rides to anyone and everyone, the brand has strategized to focus on the lower price segment compared to their competition and it will attract a lot of guys who might not have the moolah for a S-triple, however want something that would turn heads, apart form the Honda its the only inline 4 in the 600 cc segment.

Pramod

The 300 does sound wow for a 300 I didn't ride and hence cant comment.
The 600i didn't feel powerful to me and hence a let down. It was good torque than I expected and hence was easier to ride. And it was damn comfortable.

And yes, it was very sweet of the marketing team to give everyone a test drive without them following or so.

Few mobile pix.
Attached Thumbnails
DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20160114_115618-large.jpg  

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20160114_115629-large.jpg  

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20160114_115715-large.jpg  

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20160114_115726-large.jpg  

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-img_20160114_120648-large.jpg  

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-psx_20160114_210114-large.jpg  

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-psx_20160114_210208-large.jpg  

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-psx_20160114_210245-large.jpg  

DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India-psx_20160114_210406-large.jpg  

jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 09:13   #221
Senior - BHPian

Two things i wanted to clarify

This topic states
Quote:
The TNT 899 is powered by a 898 cc, inline, 3-cylinder, 4 stroke, DOHC, liquid-cooled engine that makes around 121 BHP @ 9,500 rpm and 88 Nm of torque @ 8,000 rpm:
The site by DSK states

Power119.37Bhp @ 10000rpm
Torque85.6Nm @ 8000rpm

And for the TNT R

Quote:
The range topping superbike is powered by a 1131 cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 4-valve, DOHC, inline 3-cylinder engine that makes 158 BHP @ 10,200 rpm and 120 Nm of torque @ 8,400 rpm
Power135.15Bhp @ 9500rpm
Torque114.2Nm @ 7500 rpm

The TNT R by sheer numbers look mind boggling. For example the Fz1 is

aximum Power 148 Bhp @ 11000 rpm
Maximum Torque 106 Nm @ 8000 rpm

We are taking about enormous mid range with the TNT R and TNT 899. I am getting very interested about these two 3 cylinder inline over even the FZ9 needs to be revved hard to get the complete horse power out of it.

Mind boggling. Except for the pricing part. I think DSK has priced all its offerings atleast 20% higher. The 899 9L on road would be right price and the TNT R is probably priced right compared to other 1L here.

Last edited by VW2010 : 21st February 2016 at 09:24.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 13:36   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Power119.37Bhp @ 10000rpm
Torque85.6Nm @ 8000rpm

And for the TNT R

Power135.15Bhp @ 9500rpm
Torque114.2Nm @ 7500 rpm

The TNT R by sheer numbers look mind boggling. For example the Fz1 is

aximum Power 148 Bhp @ 11000 rpm
Maximum Torque 106 Nm @ 8000 rpm

We are taking about enormous mid range with the TNT R and TNT 899. I am getting very interested about these two 3 cylinder inline over even the FZ9 needs to be revved hard to get the complete horse power out of it.
What's keeping Benelli from hitting it big is their Chinese ownership , and the lack of brand perception in India. Everyone here knows the Japanese 4, few know Italian brands apart from Vespa, Ducati and Aprilia. Anyone with limited budget will still try and reach for a CBR650F instead of the 600i - because Chinese. Likewise, someone will pick a Z1000 instead of TNT1130.

They do have their flaws - poor plastics and no crash protection accessories especially with those side mounted radiators being very vulnerable. So someone buying these would have to overlook obvious shortcomings even before any long term reliability or service issues. Oh, and the early press/publicity material said 158PS for the 1130, now it's been detuned a lot to 135.

That said, if I was a multi-crorepati, after buying a garageful of Japanese and other European machines, I'd buy a TNT 1130 just for that awesome triple music and unique character that the TNT triple series have. Just checkout the of the 1130, paying attention to the engine note.

Last edited by Ricci : 21st February 2016 at 13:39.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:33   #223
BHPian

I am planning to go for the TNT300 soon. (Planning to book it this/next weekend)

Love the smoothness and the sound of the bike is orgasmic.

Will be using it for daily commute and for weekend drives out of the city.

Should I go for the Pirelli or the MRF?

Any particulars that I should be looking out for?
iamahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 16:54   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Should I go for the Pirelli or the MRF?
Pirelli any day. The grip and the feedback from the tyres are way better than the MRF. Get the Pirelli even though it costs a bit more.
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 17:46   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Pirelli any day. The grip and the feedback from the tyres are way better than the MRF. Get the Pirelli even though it costs a bit more.
Yeah, have read about the grip and feedback about the Pirellis.
But how's their life?

I am kind of leaning towards MRF because:
1. They probably will last longer than the Pirellis.
2. Will be cheaper to buy(initial purchase and while replacing).
3. I will rarely be corner carving, my 80% drives will be on the city highway and 20% will be touring.
iamahunter is offline   Reply With Quote