Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 25th March 2015, 18:37   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: DSK-Benelli launches 5 motorcycles in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Guys, correct me if i am seeing something wrong here. While looking at the video reviews of 600i, the indicated redline in the tachometer was at 11000 rpm. Is that correct when the peak power arrives post 11000 rpm ? If i am correct on what i have seen, what does it indicate ? Shouldn't one ride around peak power delivery range ?
The redline starts at 11K and continues till 13K(I believe) where the revlimiter should kick in. And Benelli says that the peak power kicks in at 11.5K RPM, which should be true. There is no need to get surprised here as we are talking about an R6 engine here (although its a decade old design).

Drag racers always say that they shift at the point where the peak power occurs. But normal road warriors like you or me doesn't have to do that every time. But there is no harm in doing that every once in a while for recreational purposes!
man_of_steel is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 19:02   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The redline starts at 11K and continues till 13K(I believe) where the revlimiter should kick in.
I read somewhere that the detuned Benellis will have cut off way before 13K rpm. That cutoff was for the derestricted R6 motors. Even so its a very high rpm for what is going to do duty as a tourer. Most other tourers in that cc class max out at around 7-8K rpm. Even the manic KTM 690.

I can definitely see the allure that holds for many.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th March 2015 at 19:03.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 19:12   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
So Yes true to each his own.
Hey bud! Not to delve on this further but here's the gist of it all. People use whatever bikes for whatever purpose in our country. Street bikes not only do duty for some weekend trail riding but hard core rallying too. Slower bikes become faster, lighter beacuse the owners spend blood, sweat, time n money to make them so. Soft Metzelers see gravel roads more often than what the manufacturer ever imagined they would

More often than not, its not because of the owners' ignorance, but the lack of options and / or funds. Not everyone can have 5 bikes in their garage, each solving a unique purpose. And all that is absolutely fine

But when a manufacturer claims that its product is "meant" for a certain usage type, I ........ as a discerning and potential customer have every right to analyze and challenge their tall claims.

Also, such masquerading tells me a lot about the company too. Take KTM as an example. Almost every other KTM thread here / there / everyone would have some mention or reference to an "enduro" version of the 390. Every single "focus group" type sessions the KTM boffins have had with their buyers has seen a lot passionate and eager questions around this adventure tourer iteration hitting our shores

Now, how difficult would it be for KTM to slap on a half fairing, add a couple of panniers from their powerparts catelogue and lauched the "Enduro" 390? But thats just not who they are. Designing the frame, getting the right suspension set up, tweaking the engine to produce more torque low down the rev range etc are how you "engineer" a purpose built bike. The GT does nothing that the "I" could not do in the first place (barring carry a pillion in more comfort)

Its for this purity of purpose and design that companies like KTM get my respect ....... and my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Its the others on the road hurtling past that scares the living daylights out of me. I've seen saddlebag flapping straps get snagged in rope hooks of lorries passing by too close. And those jut out nowhere close to how these do
Whoa!!!

Never thought of it like that Doc. It just got scarier!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 25th March 2015 at 19:14.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 19:24   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Hey bud!

Its for this purity of purpose and design that companies like KTM get my respect ....... and my money
Beautifully put.

Quote:
Whoa!!!

Never thought of it like that Doc. It just got scarier!
Yup. Am extremely anal about tucking in everything securely, then double securely, when tied behind me.

I have seen a close friend also take a nasty tumble on the way to rider mania years ago when his right saddlebag snagged against one of those low barricades on the left most lane for bikers at a toll.

At a speed of hardly 30-40, you get tossed into a doughnut.

Think what happens at highway speeds .......
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 20:40   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The redline starts at 11K and continues till 13K(I believe) where the revlimiter should kick in. And Benelli says that the peak power kicks in at 11.5K RPM, which should be true. There is no need to get surprised here as we are talking about an R6 engine here (although its a decade old design).

Drag racers always say that they shift at the point where the peak power occurs. But normal road warriors like you or me doesn't have to do that every time. But there is no harm in doing that every once in a while for recreational purposes!
I understand that the rpm cut-off will be some where just above the redline. My surprise was due to the fact (and as far as I am aware of) that the power band and the redline band doesn't overlap in other bikes). For example, ninja 300 has a similar power band between 10k and 11k rpm and the redline starts only at 12k. Spirited riders do often stay in the power band for extracting the max without breaking the engine. It is like saying that i deliver you the peak power for the best performance at 'X' rpm, but avoid riding me at that point. At the same time, i understand your point on how often one will be reaching the 11k rpm.
shan_ned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 23:35   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Was that the Pulsar or the Thunderbird? Or both?

No arguments with your post. It has all the makings of a really good long distance pavement tourer.

4 seconds to 100? Can you share the link of where this was timed please?
haha.. in fact its both, neither bikes are tourers, we can force ourselves to tour on a bullet or even a duke, but long distance cruising is still a pipe dream, unless one plonks in upwards of 20 lacs for a fat boy or something else.

Here is the youtube link.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 00:25   #127
BHPian

Till Monday about 120 bikes had been booked with Pune taking a lion's share of the total at 50+ bikes alone. I got these figures from a Co. Official during a casual chat. Pune & Mumbai are the largest markets for such high-end bikes followed by Delhi & Bangalore.
coolrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 09:46   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Hey bud! Not to delve on this further but here's the gist of it all. People use whatever bikes for whatever purpose in our country. Street bikes not only do duty for some weekend trail riding but hard core rallying too. Slower bikes become faster, lighter beacuse the owners spend blood, sweat, time n money to make them so. Soft Metzelers see gravel roads more often than what the manufacturer ever imagined they would
Exactly that's my point, I have seen people riding on light weight adventure tourers on tarmac with knobbie tyres, similar to how I have seen people riding with round profile road tyres on offroad dirt trails. At the end of the day it all depends on rider to rider and what they intend to do with their bikes. For example we have people on this forum and else where who have retrofitted their KTM Duke 390's with Ceat Offroading tyres for a journey to Ladakh. So as I said to each his own.

Quote:
More often than not, its not because of the owners' ignorance, but the lack of options and / or funds. Not everyone can have 5 bikes in their garage, each solving a unique purpose. And all that is absolutely fine
You have answered the question, that's exactly I am trying to bring out. Not everyone can afford to keep multiple bikes in their garage. For lesser mortals like us a dual sport/purpose motorcycle atleast gives an option for riding on tarmac and well as on dirt trails. This might sound a cliche here but I read this somewhere on the forum saying, "Know your limits as the bike has none."

Quote:
But when a manufacturer claims that its product is "meant" for a certain usage type, I ........ as a discerning and potential customer have every right to analyze and challenge their tall claims.
I appreciate your research as not many people do that. But there are also many things that a manufacturer recommends which people dont follow. So it is a give and take at both the ends.

Quote:
Also, such masquerading tells me a lot about the company too. Take KTM as an example. Almost every other KTM thread here / there / everyone would have some mention or reference to an "enduro" version of the 390. Every single "focus group" type sessions the KTM boffins have had with their buyers has seen a lot passionate and eager questions around this adventure tourer iteration hitting our shores

Now, how difficult would it be for KTM to slap on a half fairing, add a couple of panniers from their powerparts catelogue and lauched the "Enduro" 390? But thats just not who they are. Designing the frame, getting the right suspension set up, tweaking the engine to produce more torque low down the rev range etc are how you "engineer" a purpose built bike. The GT does nothing that the "I" could not do in the first place (barring carry a pillion in more comfort)

I appreciate your admiration for KTM and their offerings in India and I have myself experienced the KTM Duke 390. It is a beautiful bike with equally good tech specs. But the fact is KTM have no plans to launch their Enduro models here in India. Stefan Pierer himself has denied any plans for such models citing a new platform needs to be created for the existing Duke 390's to transform them into Enduro models. Not getting into the technical details of Enduro Vs. Dual Sport/Purpose motorcycles. As you mentioned the lack of options in India, we atleast have an option with Benelli TNT 600 GT which is offered in India till we wait for the Japanese Big 4 offerings like Suzuki V Strom 650(expected), Kawasaki Versys 650(expected), Yamaha XT 660 Z(highly unlikely looking at Yamaha India's ungainly attitude), Honda CB 500X or 700X(highly unlikely looking at Honda India's ungainly attitude).

The only thing concerning me is the DSK Benelli after sales service. Let's wait for the ownership reviews to see how they fair.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 26th March 2015 at 09:48.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 12:04   #129
BHPian

Funny thing, this Benelli.

Interesting to see it being compared to Kwacks and GS's

It would have been one thing if Benelli bikes were made in China.

But it's another thing when Chinese bikes are labelled Benelli.

This is one of the quickest ticket to legitimacy that any Chinese manufacturer has done.

FYI, If the brake calipers say "Benelli", it's because the Chinese can cast anything and put Benelli on it. Would I trust it over a Brembo or even Bybre? Dunno. Sure is cheap, though.

A Chinese imitation of other Jap bikes including engines, will remain that, an imitation.

The larger capacity true Benelli's look interesting.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 14:09   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Funny thing, this Benelli.
Wow you hit the nail on its head

But nevertheless its a welcome change for people who want to have a piece of action on the Inline-4s.

The Bigger ones have very noisy Engines when compared to the 600s. Not my cup of tea to be honest.
Exhaust notes from the tri-cylinders were not encouraging like that of the Triumph
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 14:11   #131
BHPian

A 3 lac price tag, Chinese made BeneLEE or redline somewhere in the clouds.....in our country I am sure some guys are still going to buy the TNT-300 for its sound

Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 10:55   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
I am sure some guys are still going to buy the TNT-300 for its sound
Haroon Sir,
Must say that the TNT300 reeks of poor fit and finish. The plastics are very flimsy on this bike. Not sure if people would want to buy it for pure aural pleasure.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 11:08   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Haroon Sir,
Must say that the TNT300 reeks of poor fit and finish. The plastics are very flimsy on this bike. Not sure if people would want to buy it for pure aural pleasure.
Seconded. I'm not a person who would purchase a bike just because it 'sounds good'. We very well know who are Benelli targeting with this move. Performance, finish and overall appeal is what matters to me. Reason enough to say why I ride a bike whose exhaust note is galaxies apart when it comes to comparability with it's performance.
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 14:15   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Haroon Sir,
Thats exactly my point Mahesh. I was saying with a steep 3 lac price tag for a brand yet to prove its worth in India and nothing else special in this bike, there will still be some people in our country wanting to buy a 'mini doom' bike. I mean the kind that brag on FB saying my Karizma with special sticker can smoke CBR blah blah

Even with all the uncertainties of Benelli, DSK etc, already I read here 130 bookings in western India on the opening 2 days. Thats India!
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 18:06   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Even with all the uncertainties of Benelli, DSK etc, already I read here 130 bookings in western India on the opening 2 days. Thats India!
And with that comes the attendant risk of DSK dealers getting swollen heads and strutting around as if they are God's gift to the motoring industry!!!
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote