Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 4th August 2015, 14:35   #151
AWD
BANNED

Default Re: 2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Harley Davidsons are the 'trucks' of the motorcycling world. Coming from the 100~300cc bikes we are used to in India is a huge generational shift.
Trucks indeed! My usage patterns would be 95% in the City. Basically I wouldn't be buying for "riding" but use it as a daily commute. Though I wouldn't mind developing interest for riding on highways later on.

I feel Harley hasn't caliberated its bikes for india. I mean for our roads do we really need a 1000cc + bike ? The heat these engines generate, for our hot & humid climates, it could be another big bummer. Then the enormous weight, riding in City traffic conditions required a light weight nimble bike. During my short test ride for about 15 minutes I could not cross 15km/hr. Then the suspensions are not comfy, I found the ride to be bone jarring. Again not caliberated for indian road conditions.

Sure the bikes are huge eye candy but are these purposeful also ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Heavier bikes are very stable on highway! Weight is a major advantage as far as cruisers go.

As far as riding clutch goes, most people have this experience in test riding Harley Davidson
Unfortunately most of the first impression is formed during first few minutes!
So only highway riders should buy Harleys ? Or for a person like me "able bodied", which Harley would you suggest for in-City riding. I typically don't like upgrading every now & then, so this would be a one time purchase for atleast a period of 5 yrs. Therefore I would want to get a bike that I don't feel the need to upgrade soon enough. Choosing between : Iron, Street bob, Fat Boy.

But I could see even the Harley executive also riding the clutch during the test ride! Well the 1st impressions that got;
- Heavy Bike
- Emits a lot of heat
- Difficult to handle within the City in bumper to bumper conditions
- Uncomfy ride.
- Big turning radius
- Clunky gear changes

On the +ve side:
- Invokes a lot of interest among onlookers
- You know you are riding a Harley
- Exhaust note
- Sitting position

I will give another try to the bikes, perhaps a longer TD. Maybe my perceptions change!

Last edited by AWD : 4th August 2015 at 14:37.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 14:42   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I also found the the throttle responses a bit unnerving in stop & go bumper to bumper traffic within City. I mean the bike just leaps forward on releasing the clutch & one has to clutch ride to keep speed from building up. Not to talk of the huge turning radius.
Thank you sir. Its a bike not designed for city's bumper to bumper traffic. lol. and regarding the clutch, you need to get used to the heavy clutch (which is much better than the clutch on the sportsters) and also get used to getting on to the "friction zone" of the clutch and rest will be easy.

Regarding turning radius - same - get used to it - it is not meant to zip/zig-zag through traffic

Quote:
. Respect your machine's capabilities and it will respect you back.
So very well put!

Quote:
Unfortunately most of the first impression is formed during first few minutes!
I'd say - Most Fortunately - Else I'd not have been atop this wonderful machine!

Cheers!

Edit: Just found your update AWD -- suspension?? Bone-Jarring? Are you sure you rode the Fatboy? The softails have one of the best suspension systems!

If your usage is for city riding only -- Street 750 is the answer which is the best among the Harleys for dual use -- city & highways!

Last edited by Shubz : 4th August 2015 at 14:46.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 14:45   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Trucks indeed! My usage patterns would be 95% in the City. Basically I wouldn't be buying for "riding" but use it as a daily commute. Though I wouldn't mind developing interest for riding on highways later on.

I feel Harley hasn't caliberated its bikes for india. I mean for our roads do we really need a 1000cc + bike ? The heat these engines generate, for our hot & humid climates, it could be another big bummer. Then the enormous weight, riding in City traffic conditions required a light weight nimble bike. During my short test ride for about 15 minutes I could not cross 15km/hr. Then the suspensions are not comfy, I found the ride to be bone jarring. Again not caliberated for indian road conditions.

Sure the bikes are huge eye candy but are these purposeful also ?

So only highway riders should buy Harleys ? Or for a person like me "able bodied", which Harley would you suggest for in-City riding. I typically don't like upgrading every now & then, so this would be a one time purchase for atleast a period of 5 yrs. Therefore I would want to get a bike that I don't feel the need to upgrade soon enough. Choosing between : Iron, Street bob, Fat Boy.

But I could see even the Harley executive also riding the clutch during the test ride! Well the 1st impressions that got;
- Heavy Bike
- Emits a lot of heat
- Difficult to handle within the City in bumper to bumper conditions
- Uncomfy ride.
- Big turning radius
- Clunky gear changes

On the +ve side:
- Invokes a lot of interest among onlookers
- You know you are riding a Harley
- Exhaust note
- Sitting position

I will give another try to the bikes, perhaps a longer TD. Maybe my perceptions change!
Although Sportster is just perfect for city use , and can be taken to highway as well but For the things you did not like about Harley, and your intended use , ninja 650 fits the bill just perfect. Or you could have a look at z800.
Things you did not like are what makes a Harley Davidson!

I don't even know what you meant by calibrating motorcycles for India!

Ooppss I forgot there is a street 750 as well. You could try it , but if you found most comfy bike out of a Harley factory to be bone jarring , I doubt Street would fare any better!

Last edited by dustom_99 : 4th August 2015 at 14:58.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 15:14   #154
BHPian

[quote=AWD;3770074]Trucks indeed! My usage patterns would be 95% in the City. Basically I wouldn't be buying for "riding" but use it as a daily commute. Though I wouldn't mind developing interest for riding on highways later on.

I will give another try to the bikes, perhaps a longer TD. Maybe my perceptions change![/QUOTE

Harleys are cruisers and more often or not enjoyed better on long roads and highways. For your requirement, I guess you should evaluate KTM 390, the newly launched Honda 650 or Kawasaki 650. No offence but Z800 is also not a city bike. It is best enjoyed on highways or empty stretches.

Given the capacity of the engine, most of the superbikes, be it air cooled or liquid cooled will heat up in city traffic.

You may want to try Triumph Bonneville and that may meet your requirement.
Dust_Harl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 15:18   #155
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Thank you sir. Its a bike not designed for city's bumper to bumper traffic

Edit: Just found your update AWD -- suspension?? Bone-Jarring? Are you sure you rode the Fatboy?

If your usage is for city riding only -- Street 750 is the answer which is the best among the Harleys for dual use -- city & highways!
Sadly City is going to my driving cycle.

No I rode the Street Bob. Next time I will try a Fat Boy. Iron & Street Bob were not comfy over broken City roads & speed-breakers.

Didn't like the Street 750, it looks too small on me

Quote:
Although Sportster is just perfect for city use , and can be taken to highway as well but For the things you did not like about Harley, and your intended use , ninja 650 fits the bill just perfect. Or you could have a look at z800

I don't even know what you meant by calibrating motorcycles for India!
Harley executive narrowed it down to Iron for me. Will try the Sportster range next time. Will also look at Ninja650. I hate riding a sports bike, specially the crouched sitting position, need a bike on which you sit straight. Liked this about Harleys.

With calibrating I meant, smaller engines for the road conditions, better heat shields, good ground clearances, comfier suspensions, lighter bikes, etc.

Hope the next test rides change my perception about the bikes!
Old 4th August 2015, 15:25   #156
BANNED

Quote:

No I rode the Street Bob. Next time I will try a Fat Boy. Iron & Street Bob were not comfy over broken City roads & speed-breakers.

Didn't like the Street 750, it looks too small on me

Harley executive narrowed it down to Iron for me. Will try the Sportster range next time. Will also look at Ninja650. I hate riding a sports bike, specially the crouched sitting position, need a bike on which you sit straight. Liked this about Harleys.

With calibrating I meant, smaller engines for the road conditions, better heat shields, good ground clearances, comfier suspensions, lighter bikes, etc.

Hope the next test rides change my perception about the bikes!
Smaller engines and other requirement you mentioned are already provided by Royal Enfield.
You could even give it to some customiser and make it to look like a Harley ( budget isn't a problem I guess with you).
Superlow is slightly more comfy than iron in sportster range , but all these are practically hard tail or very nearly.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 15:29   #157
BHPian

Quote:

Harley did some of that with the Street 750, but if they did more than that, I do think that would diminish some of the appeal!
Im not sure i'd appreciate a lighter Harley
udainxs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 17:11   #158
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Smaller engines Royal Enfield.
You could even give it to some customiser and make it to look like a Harley
Superlow is slightly more comfy than iron in sportster range.
Correct I already have 2 REs, was thinking of an upgrade. Naa.. customisation is not my cup of tea, I like to keep my vehicles as stock as possible.

A lot hinges on the next wave of TD's, I want the perceptions to change for me so that I can upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Harley did some of that with the Street 750, but if they did more than that, I do think that would diminish some of the appeal
Yes & I haven't liked the 750, as much as I would want Harley to launch more "Indianized" bikes, I wouldn't want the bikes to loose the real Harley character. For me "Riding" is limited to work, markets, daily chores, when I go on long drives, they are for different purposes, again for work, adventure, thrill, nature, etc. But it would seldom be for "riding" only. Blame it on the pitiable road conditions & the utterly haphazard traffic & total lack of following traffic rules.
Old 4th August 2015, 17:41   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hate riding a sports bike, specially the crouched sitting position, need a bike on which you sit straight.
Have a good look at the Kawasaki er6n which provides you with a good upright seating position if that is what you want.

You also have the Ducati Scrambler which gives you a very similar seating position like that of the KTM 390.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 18:10   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would advice you to stay away from the Harleys if only city driving is your primary need. I suggest you look at a Bonneville which is far more comfortable and complete package and suits your needs for a upgrade but with the appeal quotient quite low in today's scenario.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 19:56   #161
BANNED

Quote:

As dkaile Saab has mentioned above, a Bonneville might suit you well, especially if you like the Bullet-like stance.

I would like to mention though that riding a Harley in city is also not that hard if you change your riding habits.

If you ride like you are driving a car, keeping similar space around you, and avoid riding like a commuter bike, you can ride any Harley in any City.

Rather than looking for a bike that fits your commuter bike riding habits, which in my humblest of opinions, is not safe on a Big Bike, try to change your riding habit to suit the bike. Makes riding more relaxed as well.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 20:26   #162
BHPian

Quote:
A lot hinges on the next wave of TD's, I want the perceptions to change for me so that I can upgrade.
AWD, if your budget is around the Fat Boy range, you should certainly try the Ducati Diavel. On road Bombay is around 17 lacs (Dark) and 20 lacs (Carbon Red).

I have test ridden both, the Fatboy and Diavel say around 10 kms each. The Diavel completely blows the Fat Boy out of the water or out of the city so to speak.

The insane power in the Diavel will blow you away! Plus, it has ABS with riding modes and traction control making it really safe. Till you get comfortable with the power you could ride in the Urban mode which limits the power to 100 bhp. The two other modes are Touring (full power 162 bhp but gentler throttle response) and Sport (full power 162 bhp and crackling response). The riding position is spot on (I am 5"11 and 85 kilos), very flick-able and a comfortable ride. With the Diavel you do not need to upgrade the power, change suspensions (spend more money) or anything like that. Stock is great as it is and although looks are subjective, in my opinion, it looks far better than the Harley too.

The Fat Boy on the other hand, feels like a huge hunk of metal and no power for all the weight comparatively. What it has is noise and vibrations. The positive is being part of the brotherhood, if you want to say "I own a Harley" and of course if you have fallen in love, then there can be no reasoning.

Shubz - this is your thread mate, these are my observations/opinions with nothing personal.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 20:40   #163
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Kawasaki er6n which provides you with a good upright seating position if that is what you want.

You also have the Ducati Scrambler.
I guess I haven't seen these bikes, will check em out. I was thinking Harley only untill I tried!

Quote:
I would advice you to stay away from the Harleys if only city driving is your primary need. I suggest you look at a Bonneville .
Will give one more shot at test rides before giving up on them. Bonneville appears smaller than a bullet even! For now Im banking on the upcoming wave of test rides.

@gthang, agreed on the riding habits. Will try the Bonneville.

@Cyborg, Ok now Diavel never ocured to me, let me see if theres a Ducati showroom at Chd.
Correct, not taking more space on Shubz thread.

Last edited by AWD : 4th August 2015 at 20:45.
Old 5th August 2015, 10:31   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

The Fat Boy on the other hand, feels like a huge hunk of metal and no power for all the weight comparatively. What it has is noise and vibrations. The positive is being part of the brotherhood, if you want to say "I own a Harley" and of course if you have fallen in love, then there can be no reasoning.

Shubz - this is your thread mate, these are my observations/opinions with nothing personal.

Cheers
Sir - Absolutely nothing personal at all!

But you are thoroughly mistaken! Its not all huge hunk of metal and no power. It absolutelly is not NOISE & VIBRATIONS either. And the brotherhood is just a part of the whole deal. Love apart - it was all about what one likes to have - as an entire package.

Am surprised you are suggesting Diavel etc to AWD who is clear that the usage is for city use. Lol -- where would he use all that BHP? Not that I am saying Fatboy is the choice for him either.

Scrambler/Bonneville seems to be the obvious choices but definitely not Diavel lol!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 12:57   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
you are suggesting Diavel
My friend owns both the Diavel and the Fat Bob and I know for sure which brings a bigger smile on his face each time he rides it. A Harley as you said is a sum of great number of factors and that is why even after being rudimentary to many modern bikes, has no parallel.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote