Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 17:29   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,769
Thanked: 3,377 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
That's a cool one, are you confident that the heritage will handle those terrains?
Which route are you planning to take?

Wow is the bike Second Hand? Man she is so clean
Well people have done it on a Superlow and Fat Boys and my initial plan too was to do it on my previous Superlow till this came along. So I am confident I can manage on an out and out cruiser. I was planning to go via Srinagar which should be dull and issue-less but I have to come back via Manali. Those Gata Loops are another bucket list item for me on 2 wheels. Lets see how things pan out.

Yes, I am the 2nd owner but no, its actually a showroom condition bike. Reasons cannot be discussed here.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 17:43   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,260
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I was planning to go via Srinagar which should be dull and issue-less but I have to come back via Manali.
Cheers...
Thought so, that route is the regular tourist fare and should be doable with the Heritage but be careful for that slippery surface.
Only skeptical stuff is its huge weight, those 340 Kilos plus your weight and luggage. Kargil is also doable if you take this route.

Ook, if you are not comfortable revealing it i respect your space.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 18:06   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Thanks for the good wishes Shubhakar!

The device then tunes your bike according to your 'personal' riding style and the accessories connected. It reads and adapts. Now isn't that wonderful!!

Why this? One, it was available and Second, after seeing the bike in person at the Capital Harley Gurgaon Showroom and the price I was getting, I was just blown off. So it was an instantaneous decision change. And I am not regretting a single moment.
Doesn't FP3 do the same? What features of this are better than FP3?

and how much time were they anticipating for a new Fatboy?

Am sure you put your hard earned money on it - LOTS of it! - So you better not regret that! :-)

did you know the previous owner?
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 18:30   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,297
Thanked: 1,192 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Congrats DKaile. You are a brave man sir. All I can think of looking at all that chrome is just how much elbow grease it would take for you to keep her brand spanking new! You'd probably have to go all the way down to the marrow



Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
............ i respect your space.
Bad-assery = Your signature + this thread combo

Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 18:52   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,769
Thanked: 3,377 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Doesn't FP3 do the same? What features of this are better than FP3?

and how much time were they anticipating for a new Fatboy?

Am sure you put your hard earned money on it - LOTS of it! - So you better not regret that! :-)

did you know the previous owner?
FP3 does this too and it has wireless bluetooth control too. But research on the net and you will find that Dynojet are the leaders in this field. This device can handle 10's of Harleys that a FP3 can't. And the auto tune setup is way more advanced than the V&H.

Fat Boy incidentally was available ready stock at that time. HSC on the other hand had a 3-4 month waiting. I am not regretting a single moment. I came to know the owner and his plight. I have been regularly riding our group's Candy Orange Fat Boy for some time now. And one test ride on this HSC sealed the issue. So much added hardware was just to my liking. The ride was tuned too more to my liking. Those retro whitewall tyres, those chromed spoked rims, those leather saddle bags, that removable windscreen, and that seat... It's bliss. In fact in hindsight I think I would have made the wrong decision going for the Fatty seeing my personality and liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Congrats DKaile. You are a brave man sir. All I can think of looking at all that chrome is just how much elbow grease it would take for you to keep her brand spanking new! You'd probably have to go all the way down to the marrow
When you love your ride, it's all worth it. And I love to do it.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 19:18   #36
BHPian
 
abhimanyu_singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hyderbad/Delhi
Posts: 185
Thanked: 102 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Dheeraj sir, your previous thread has inspired so many people to go for the superlow (myself included). I have a crazy feeling that this one would do the same, in a distant future though

Cheers! Ride hard and ride safe!
abhimanyu_singh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 21:35   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 1,965
Thanked: 935 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

congrats Dhiraj....she is a beauty. Wish you a lifetime of fun on her.

On q- you mentioned that the tyres are tubeless on spoke wheels. AFAIK, only BMW and Triumph have tubeless on spoke wheels since they have developed a sealing solution on their wire wheels that allows use of tubeless.

Most other manufacturers use a tubeless tyre on spoke wheels, but with a tube in it simply because the spoke wheels do not provide a perfect air lock. for example, the RE Continental GT comes with Pirelli Sport Demons that are tubeless but have a tube in them.

does your Softail have a tube in the tubeless tyres?
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 21:43   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,260
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

does your Softail have a tube in the tubeless tyres?
Soft Tails have the same technology as that of BMW & Triumph. Heritage does not come with Tubes.

Ideally a tubeless setup on Spoke wheels looks like this

http://www.britishracer.com/index.ph...roducts_id=821
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 21:52   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,769
Thanked: 3,377 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
congrats Dhiraj....she is a beauty. Wish you a lifetime of fun on her.

does your Softail have a tube in the tubeless tyres?
Thanks for your best wishes.

As rightly confirmed, Harley Softails post mid 2013 have had Tubeless rims and tubeless tyres without any tube in them. My rims are marked MTM and TUBELESS. This shot from the Owners Manual is confirmation of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-1429546914427.jpg  


Last edited by dkaile : 20th April 2015 at 21:53.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 10:51   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
As rightly confirmed, Harley Softails post mid 2013 have had Tubeless rims and tubeless tyres without any tube in them. My rims are marked MTM and TUBELESS. This shot from the Owners Manual is confirmation of the same.
Dhiraj sir - I would be keen on seeing the MTM/TUBELESS markings on the rim. Mind posting a pic of the same?

And with the Spokes - you may need to hire a dedicated resource to sit and clean the nooks n corners of the rim as the dirt/grime etc would be stuck there and normal pressure wash may not wash it away clean.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 11:17   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 986
Thanked: 998 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Dhiraj let me join everyone I congratulating you for this iconic model from the stables of Harley Davidson. There is something special about these softails isn't it? It is good to see you upgrade from HD Sportster Superlow 883cc to the 1700cc behemoth Heritage Softail Classic. Both Shubhankar and You have had a dream motorcycle upgrade. I too drool over the HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic motorcycle which I would like to own if I am in USA and cruise over those long interstate highways.

Enjoy your rides with this beautiful err handsome motorcycle.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 11:21   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,769
Thanked: 3,377 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Dhiraj sir - I would be keen on seeing the MTM/TUBELESS markings on the rim. Mind posting a pic of the same?

And with the Spokes - you may need to hire a dedicated resource to sit and clean the nooks n corners of the rim as the dirt/grime etc would be stuck there and normal pressure wash may not wash it away clean.
Here are the pictures to settle the matter once and for all -

Front Tyre Markings
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-77-front-tubeless-tyre-markings.jpg

Rear Tyre Markings
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-78-rear-tubeless-tyre-markings_1.jpg

The Screamin Eagles that were fitted yesterday
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-79-screamin-eagles-fitted-20042015.jpg

As far as the cleaning of spokes go, yes it will no doubt be cumbersome. But weekly TLC should take care of it, and I love doing it hands on as I said earlier. But then it has given me the best of both worlds, the old world charm of the spokes with whitewall tyres with the modern convenience of them being tubeless to give me peace of mind on long journeys.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 21st April 2015 at 11:22.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 11:51   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,260
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

Rear Tyre Markings
Attachment 1362942

.
You seem to be very much a DIY person

Appears that a few spokes are rusting and might need some WD40 Spray to prevent further Corrosion.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 12:09   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,769
Thanked: 3,377 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Appears that a few spokes are rusting and might need some WD40 Spray to prevent further Corrosion.
No rust. Just dirt. And I have plenty of stock of WD 40. Thank you Sir...

Quote:
The desire to excel should be exclusive of the fact whether someone appreciates it or not. Excellence is a drive from inside, not outside. Excel at a task today – not necessarily for someone else to notice but for your own satisfaction.

Last edited by dkaile : 21st April 2015 at 12:17.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 13:31   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: delhi
Posts: 58
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
FP3 does this too and it has wireless bluetooth control too. But research on the net and you will find that Dynojet are the leaders in this field. This device can handle 10's of Harleys that a FP3 can't. And the auto tune setup is way more advanced than the V&H.

Fat Boy incidentally was available ready stock at that time. HSC on the other hand had a 3-4 month waiting. I am not regretting a single moment. I came to know the owner and his plight. I have been regularly riding our group's Candy Orange Fat Boy for some time now. And one test ride on this HSC sealed the issue. So much added hardware was just to my liking. The ride was tuned too more to my liking. Those retro whitewall tyres, those chromed spoked rims, those leather saddle bags, that removable windscreen, and that seat... It's bliss. In fact in hindsight I think I would have made the wrong decision going for the Fatty seeing my personality and liking.

When you love your ride, it's all worth it. And I love to do it.

Cheers...
Hi
Could you share details of the associate you deal with in Capital Harley.Ive been waiting for my Fat boy for 2 months now and they say they can only deliver in June 1st week as there arent any coming before that.
Thanks
fiorano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review dkaile Superbikes & Imports 595 18th June 2017 11:47
USA: Harley-Davidson recalls over 19,000 Dyna and Softail motorcycles Tushar Motorbikes 0 5th January 2015 12:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks