Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 18th June 2015, 23:03   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Yes sir. You are right. One can use just the slip ons. But had learnt that air intake is constricted compared to freer exhaust causing increase in heat. And bike running lean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
That is more of a issue with full exhaust upgrade without upgrading air intake. For just the slip-ons even Harley Technicians don't insist on the need to upgrade the intake and fuel management system. The stock map has sufficient flexibility to adjust to the added free flow of just the slip-ons. As I mentioned, I have used just the slip-ons for 10000 kms on my Sportster with ZERO issues of heat and bike running lean. If anything my bike ran smoother than many others in my group at the time of its sale.
Ahh!! A HOG fight

Can I jump into the mudpit for a rumble with you guys?

"I" feel that if you remove the stock muffler, which has a plug, and replace with a free flow slip-on, you remove the backpressure wave which is supposed to help in scavenging/balancing the air volume in the cylinder.

So, you might be getting less air volume in the cylinder, and hence might be running RICH, if still with stock air filter.

The effect of this might be more dominant in lower rpms, and less so at WOT.

But the Sad part (Best part?) of all this is that the Harley engine design is so basic that even with any major change, the performance will only result in relatively marginal changes. But you do feel it and hear it.

It's only a question of time before some smart businessman capitalizes on this and sets up dyno-shops so that these HOG brawls can be refereed.

But who doesn't love a good spin in the mud, right?

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 06:11   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
What's the weight difference between the stock and the cobra slip-ons?
I felt it was about 50% lighter than the stock exhausts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Ahh!! A HOG fight
Lolz. Did not intend anything like that. Was just updating my thread matter of factly with the upgrades I do. You are right about the back pressure part. But "I" feel that the stock exhausts are too constricted to confirm with the legal exhaust and noise level requirements. That kind of construction is really not required from the engineering point of view. That is why such a big ancillary industry is already running catering just to the exhaust systems. To tell the bare bones truth, a Harley ain't a Harley if it doesn't sound like one. And that is why 99% of its owners upgrade it's exhausts at the very first chance they get. That you get performance boost along the way is just a added bonus. And if they enhance the looks too, like in my case, sone pe suhaaga . That is the 'naked' truth, whether we accept it or not.

Cheerio...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 12:44   #78
Senior - BHPian

World HOG Ride - Shimla (27 & 28-06-2015)

It was a nice hot Saturday. Perfect for the 808kms of high octane ride ahead. We were initially greeted by some very bad roads coming out of Meerut which graduated into these sublime highways. 3 of us from Meerut joined in with the Capital Chapter Delhi group...
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-worldgogride-shimla-2728062015_1.jpg

After the initial chaos we were greeted with some pristine nature
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-worldgogride-shimla-2728062015_2.jpg

On the road
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-worldgogride-shimla-2728062015_3.jpg

Our hotel had a great view of the sunset
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-worldgogride-shimla-2728062015_4.jpg

#OnTheRoad
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-worldgogride-shimla-2728062015_5.jpg

The bike performed perfectly. I had removed the windshield which helped me attain higher speeds.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-worldgogride-shimla-2728062015_6.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-worldgogride-shimla-2728062015_8.jpg

A hard 808kms ride in sweltering heat culminates
Name:  WorldGOGRide Shimla 2728062015_9.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  157.4 KB

And the bike crosses the 5k mark
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-worldgogride-shimla-2728062015_10.jpg

Name:  WorldGOGRide Shimla 2728062015_7.jpg
Views: 2094
Size:  419.9 KB
Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 29th June 2015 at 12:46.
dkaile is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 16:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Installation of Auxiliary Brake Light/ Running Light/ Turn Signal Conversion Kit (Part# 69461-06D) - 17-07-2015

Wanted to increase the Rear Visibility of this wide a bike. The LED Kits doing the same were all in 30K range, whether Harley's OE Parts or 3rd party one's like Kuryakyn or Custom Dynamics. So opted for this option which retains the OE Bulb setup but changes the rear lenses to RED colour and adds a plug-in wiring harness control module in the stock rear fender wiring under the seat. Cost just 5.5K which is 6 times less than the LED Kit and provides the same functionality.

The Kit
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-auxillary-tail-brake-turn-signal-conversion-kit-new_1.jpg

Contents
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-auxillary-turn-signal-conversion-kit_1.jpg

Part# and Price
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-auxillary-tail-brake-turn-signal-conversion-kit-new_2.jpg

Here it is attached with Red Lenses. Ignition OFF.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-auxillary-tail-brake-turn-signal-conversion-kit-new_3.jpg

Ignition ON. Running Lights ON. Red Lenses Glow.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-auxillary-tail-brake-turn-signal-conversion-kit-new_4.jpg

Ignition ON. Brake Lights ON. Interesting bit is that the Turn Sginals contain single filament bulbs which are somehow controlled by the module to provide varying brightness. Good engineering. Red Lenses increase in intensity when brakes or turn signals are activated.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-auxillary-tail-brake-turn-signal-conversion-kit-new_5.jpg

Brightness is stock but rear brightness has increased due to the addition of 2 more lights which are now always on to attract the attention of following traffic as the turn signal module adds brake light and running light function to rear turn signals. Additional max load is about 4.5A as per the manual attached. Good investment I would say.

Cheers...
Old 17th July 2015, 17:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

Dhiraj sir - Why did you not think of opting for LED rears? something on the lines of the attached pic. Really enhances the rear lighting.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-img_1182.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-img_4446.jpg

Cheers.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 18:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Why did you not think of opting for LED rears? something on the lines of the attached pic. Really enhances the rear lighting.
Like I said, the LED light kit for the Heritage is different from the Fat Boy and is around 30k in cost (part# 68128-10 & 68411-10). Also the OE Harley LED light kit has thrown up lots of errors and bad feedback from many friends in my Heritage group who have installed it and who had to get it replaced 2-3 times. Now with this kit I have the option of adding 3rd party LED Bulbs and/or LED panel at any time at a fraction of a cost with full functionality.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 10:59   #82
BANNED

Are Dheeraj San , nayi bike! Congrats and this one seems befitting and tailor made for you.
And good work with photographs!
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 20:00   #83
Senior - BHPian

Got a custom Gear Shift Linkage Rod built and installed today. All SS construction and chromed -

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-softail-dhiraj-gear-shift-link-rod_3.jpg

Installation on the way
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-softail-dhiraj-gear-shift-link-rod_5.jpg

Finally installed
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-harley-softail-dhiraj-gear-shift-link-rod_1.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 20:10   #84
BANNED

Awesome dhiraj! Looks great! Great custom touch
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 10:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

Independence Weekend Ride to Agra (14-16th Aug 2015)

Enroute on Yamuna Expressway with my daughter
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-agra-trip-1416-aug-2015_1.jpg

At our hotel in Agra, Ramada Plaza
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-agra-trip-1416-aug-2015_15.jpg

The Heritage Rules!!
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-agra-trip-1416-aug-2015_13.jpg

Ready for the return journey
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-agra-trip-1416-aug-2015_18.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-agra-trip-1416-aug-2015_19.jpg

605 kms round trip from Meerut
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-agra-trip-1416-aug-2015_21.jpg

Odo crossed the 6.5 k mark
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-agra-trip-1416-aug-2015_22.jpg

The rear brake pads seemed to have gone a bit early. Need to get it changed/checked.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 08:48   #86
Senior - BHPian

On the return journey from Agra, in the last leg, I had felt that the rear brakes were not functioning fully. I got the rear brake pads and a litre of engine oil for top up to the do the job myself. But on removing the saddle bag to approach the rear brakes, on inspection I found that the rear pads still had nearly 40% of their life left -

Saddle Bag removed
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-brake-pads_3.jpg

The new set of brake pads (cost 3990/-)
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-brake-pads_5.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-brake-pads_4.jpg

The material on each pad is about 4.5~5 mm thick. Harley recommends to change it when it reaches around 1 mm
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-brake-pads_7.jpg

Well, my pads were still at around 2~2.5mm mark i.e. about 40% life still left
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-brake-pads_1.jpg

So what could be the issue for the sudden loss of braking. I concluded HEAT! On the last leg of the journey heat may have precipitated loss of contact between the pads and the disks. Also I found that the brake oil level in the rear reservoir to be on the lower side. DOT 4 brake oil was recommended. I phoned the service engineer and he said that any good quality DOT 4 fluid can be safely used for top up. The original Harley fluid was 700 bucks. Got hold of Castrol DOT 4 for 100 bucks and topped up. Extra fluid will need to be drained once I get around to changing the pads, when needed.
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-castrol-dot-4-brake-fluid.jpg

Now the brakes are back to perfect. The pads go into the reserve bin waiting for the day when actually needed 3~4k kms down the line.

Also SYN 3 fully synthetic engine oil was called for the occasional 100~200ml top up, if needed (848/- for a quart, 946 ml).
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-syn-3-synthetic-oil_1.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-syn-3-synthetic-oil_2.jpg

Cheers....

Last edited by dkaile : 24th August 2015 at 08:51.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 10:09   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Cheers....
@dkaile Saab,

A big shoutout and thanks to you for your comprehensive thread from my good friend who just bought a FLSTC.

Thanks to your thread, he was already very familiar with the bike and helped him a lot.

A picture of his bike attached. An exhaustive list of accessories is being prepared, and will present in new avatar soon.

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-img_20150917_171305_hdr-1280x949.jpg

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 10:49   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
A big shoutout and thanks to you for your comprehensive thread from my good friend who just bought a FLSTC.
Many thanks for your kind words gthang. Tell your friend to get in touch with me so that we can also add him to our Heritage specific group on Whatsapp of all Heritage owners in India.

Congratulations once again. Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 15:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Going quite slow nowadays, touched 7k in about 6 months

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-7k-kms-02102015_1.jpg

Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-heritage-softail-7k-kms-02102015_2.jpg

Cheers...
Old 30th November 2015, 21:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

NHR - 2015 - Chandigarh - 21-22 Nov

It was that time of the year again and we followed up last year's Northern HOG Ride to Pushkar with this year's shorter ride to Chandigarh.

So out came the gear
Name:  NHR 2015.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  188.7 KB

And we got ready for the 600km ride
Name:  NHR 2015_1.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  234.4 KB

We were 4 Riders from Meerut out of a total of about 900+ from all over India
Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC: The Comprehensive Review-nhr-2015_2.jpg

It was the usual hoopla affair where we got to meet with many old friends and make some new ones
Name:  NHR 2015_3.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  87.5 KB

Some nice custom bikes were on display
Name:  NHR 2015_4.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  245.5 KB

Can you believe this one's a Superlow!!
Name:  NHR 2015_5.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  230.3 KB

And this one has Air Suspension!
Name:  NHR 2015_6.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  216.4 KB

Impractical, but what a handlebar!
Name:  NHR 2015_8.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  237.9 KB

Some patches were earned along the way. The 10k patch was for the mileage I did on my Superlow which I sold at 10k on the odo
Name:  NHR 2015_9.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  201.6 KB

Name:  NHR 2015_10.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  169.4 KB

And this one's on the way for my combined mileage
Name:  NHR 2015_11.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  177.4 KB

Coming up next - the 2nd Service at 8k kms which I did at my residence today.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote