Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 3rd June 2015, 01:51   #1
BHPian

Default Triumph Rocket X Launch in India

Yesterday, Triumph announced their plan to launch the 10th anniversary limited edition of the Rocket III Roadster, christened Rocket X in India. Rocket X is limited to only 500 units worldwide.

Triumph Rocket X Launch in India-maxresdefault.jpg

True to their word, eight bikes have already landed few days ago!! (CBUs)

Triumph Rocket X Launch in India-untitled.png

Being a limited edition, expect a hefty premium over the regular Rocket which is already priced at about 22 lakhs. No mechanical changes though.

Link

Last edited by Senna4Ever : 3rd June 2015 at 01:53. Reason: Typo
Senna4Ever is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:57   #2
BHPian

Perhaps this is a silly question, but why does the value column indicate such a low figure of 666,874 as compared to a ball park price of 22+ lakh? Is it indicative of the 3x margin that Triumph makes on each bike?
shiraz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Triumph Rocket X Launch in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz View Post
Is it indicative of the 3x margin that Triumph makes on each bike?
That would be declared book value of the Bike. Duty would be calculated based on the Book Value + Landing Charges. Believe the duty is 125%.

Yes you need to factor in triumph's profit and am sure they would not want to do business with anything less than 30%.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Believe the duty is 125%.

Yes you need to factor in triumph's profit and am sure they would not want to do business with anything less than 30%.
As per the HS code, duty appears to be 140%. This brings post-duty cost of Rocket III at about 16 Lakhs. So, one would need to mark up this price by about 35% to reach its ex-showroom price of 21.5 Lakhs.

Triumph Rocket X Launch in India-capture.png

Even though declared value of Rocket X is only about Rs. 26,000 more, I am sure the ex-sh prices will be >25 lakhs.
Senna4Ever is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 10:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

From the showcase at EICMA 2014 to the showroom floors in India – Triumph has launched the limited edition Rocket X. Priced at Rs. 22, 21, 200/-, the model is more expensive than the Rocket III by around Rs. 90,000. Only 500 units of the Rocket X will be sold worldwide, of which, India has been allocated 15.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Triumph Rocket X Launch in India-www.teambhp.com.jpg
Tushar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 10:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True to their word, eight bikes have already landed few days ago!! (CBUs)
4 Bikes picked by Chandigarh Dealership - 3 gone ,
I believe 2 were delivered yesterday itself , will go to showroom to check for the balance one if funds allow

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th June 2015 at 10:25.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 11:36   #7
BHPian

This thing makes 146 BHP (pick up the jaw from the floor) from a 3 cylinder engine. Can some one put this into perspective of what it would be like on a road. This thing will put most cars to shame I suppose.
Not much into bikes so can someone do a comparison on what the performance of this thing would be like against a hot hatch I suppose.
Car-tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 11:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
4 Bikes picked by Chandigarh Dealership - 3 gone ,
Wow that's not bad, they seem to be disappearing very fast.

Apart from the graphics wish they should have prepped up the mechanicals by adding some steering dampers or other accessories.

Do they already have it?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 13:15   #9
BHPian

@ku69rd: I agree they should have done something more than just the paint job, but the question is what?? More power? I don't think any of the Rocket III customers are looking for more power, as there's a humongous amount already on tap, more so the torque. The steering is very stable, and for such a heavy vehicle, a steering damper would be moot.

On the other hand, the process used to create these limited edition signatures is a fantastic thing in itself. They've done a feature presentation on the guy and the process in their monthly magazine.

http://spirit.triumphmotorcycles.com/1/issue14/page13/

I hope everyone can access this.

@Car-tya: I think it would be unfair to compare this against any hatch back, as the motorcycle is in a different league. The acceleration offered by the bike is in the supercar league. The engine is 2300cc and churns out 220NM of torque with the whole bike weighs 370 kgs. That gives a torque to weight ratio of 595Nm/ton. Even an Aventador has only 460Nm/ton. On the road, this thing though looks like an elephant, moves with the agility of a horse. The massive torque in any gear makes for brisk acceleration. You have to see it to believe it. Any ride, the Rocket is the cynosure of the crowd
hifisharu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 13:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
@Car-tya: I think it would be unfair to compare this against any hatch back, as the motorcycle is in a different league. The acceleration offered by the bike is in the supercar league. The engine is 2300cc and churns out 220NM of torque with the whole bike weighs 370 kgs. That gives a torque to weight ratio of 595Nm/ton. Even an Aventador has only 460Nm/ton. On the road, this thing though looks like an elephant, moves with the agility of a horse. The massive torque in any gear makes for brisk acceleration. You have to see it to believe it. Any ride, the Rocket is the cynosure of the crowd
I assumed as much but was not so sure to jack it up to supercar levels. I wanted to know about the 0-100 timings and possibly the performance levels but I believe I have a fair indication of what you are talking about.

Is 370 kgs manageable on road, specially Indian roads? How easy is it to manoeuvre it on our roads ?

Last edited by ampere : 4th June 2015 at 13:57. Reason: Formatted post
Car-tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 15:45   #11
BHPian

Rocket was smoked by the Striple in a recent drag race at Aamby. Let me check on whether I can share my friend's video of that. Its too heavy compared to the Striple.
djpeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 16:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Rocket was smoked by the Striple in a recent drag race at Aamby. Let me check on whether I can share my friend's video of that. Its too heavy compared to the Striple.
This doesn't sound surprising at all. Though it is very powerful and has acres of torque, I don't think it can beat even a single SBK in a straight line. Be it the Street Triple or any other. The new R1, CBR1000RR, S1000RR would devour the Rocket X for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is like how the RC390 would beat a Bullet in a drag race every single time.

Although it has the world's largest production motorcycle engine, this bike is much more than only speed. It is one of the biggest cruisers in the market. The road presence is unmatched. Such bikes are made for smooth long highways. Would be nice to see it in flesh someday

P.S. Isn't 15 units a very low figure for entire India?

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 4th June 2015 at 16:05.
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 16:39   #13
BHPian

The specs and other things are similar to rocket iii, but from sales point of view it is a different product. Can anyone provide the link for the brochure for rocket-x?
I am not able to find it on triump india and UK websites.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 18:36   #14
BHPian

Well maybe not in a quarter mile drag, but for in gear acceleration, I doubt any thing can blow past a rocket. Acres of torque through the rev range. And decent fueling.
BuBooMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 12:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

OT, still. A tbhpian got a Rocket and added Zard exhaust. Its one crazy bike now. Will upload video later today. Spits fire.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote