Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 20th August 2015, 22:05   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Honda CBR 650F launched in India at Rs. 7.3 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Avoid city traffic for initial few hundred KM. City traffic puts lot of stress on bike components.
Important point is to relax and ride calmly...
Djay saar, I disagree about the traffic bit for run in.

I think mild traffic is the best place to do the run in because of the following:
1. You get all kinds of low speeds so gear is always moving through the rev range (lets say till 4K rpm)
2. The hot and cool cycles are very close to each other.
3. More brakes being used at lower speeds leading to a quicker break in.

In highways, you will invariably stick to a higher gear for most of the time and end up not using the entire rev range for all the gears.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 22:08   #122
BHPian

Congratulations Rachit, for the first CBR650F in Delhi , possibly all of India!

Modern engines don't need to be babied, ride naturally only taking care not to lug the engine by too low RPM ( under 2000 in 3rd or higher) or too high RPM. Short bursts of acceleration are fine, and perhaps better , when done on a warm engine , high gear, full throttle.

About 3M PPF , it is expensive, it cost me INR4500 for the tank alone although some remnant pieces were usable for the from facing part of the fairing.

Enjoy the sweet ride!
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 23:07   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Congratulations Rachit, for the first CBR650F in Delhi , possibly all of India!

Modern engines don't need to be babied, ride naturally only taking care not to lug the engine by too low RPM ( under 2000 in 3rd or higher) or too high RPM. Short bursts of acceleration are fine, and perhaps better , when done on a warm engine , high gear, full throttle.

About 3M PPF , it is expensive, it cost me INR4500 for the tank alone although some remnant pieces were usable for the from facing part of the fairing.

Enjoy the sweet ride!
Thank you very much Ricci. Since you have got it done on your tank, can you please provide a feedback as to how it looks on curved surfaces. From what I know for every curved surface they will use a different piece. Does all the separate pieces look okay?

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 23:24   #124
BHPian

@Rachit : I can't say it was a job well done, but to be fair they did say such curved surfaces are very difficult to work with. They used 3 pieces for the tank - 1 for the top, 2 each side, cutting at the sharpest angle, but due to the nature of curved surfaces, there's a wee bit of crumpling of the film at the edges. It's still stuck well, and as long as no one tries to remove it , it should stay put for long time.

The look also isn't seamless , some tiny air pockets marring the consistency. Not that it looks prominent/conspicuous, but it's easily spotted upon closer observation. I still weigh the protection it offers over the look. How many superbikers hesitate to put anything like a helmet or bag on their fuel tank?

Mods : the 30 minute edit window ended, please merge into earlier post.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 23:41   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Djay saar, I disagree about the traffic bit for run in.

I think mild traffic is the best place to do the run in because of the following:

1. You get all kinds of low speeds so gear is always moving through the rev range (lets say till 4K rpm)

2. The hot and cool cycles are very close to each other.

3. More brakes being used at lower speeds leading to a quicker break in.

In highways, you will invariably stick to a higher gear for most of the time and end up not using the entire rev range for all the gears.

Sojo sir, when i say city traffic it is the terrible Bangalore traffic (around silk board) that comes to my mind where you would be slipping clutch at every metre or two.

I did half of my Z800 runin on hosur road. I used to change gears every now and then & never lugged the engine.

I agree with you on mild traffic but i doubt about it in delhi or in any metro unless you are riding early morning or late evening

Rachit- i got 3M PPF on my Z800 tank and fibre around seat area.
There are no sctraches even after mounting saddle bag.
It looks good only if installed properly.
It's difficult to install near curves. Better to avoid it rather than taking chance.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 00:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

From the Dyno chart it does appear the bike has a a nice linear torque but needs to be higher up on the rpm above 3-5K to enjoy that linear torque. There was a shoot out between this, FZ07, Suzuki 650 SVF and the Ninja 650. FZ07 had the best torque curve to enjoy the bike in all possible conditions.

But CBR is no slouch and it looks its going to be fun riding this in all gears.

Regarding running it - Take it from me when i say this. You will hardly hit high RPM unless you are planning to ride it in first gear for ever. In First gear expect the bike to hit close to 60-70kmph at highest RPM. Crusing at 100 you are talking about 4-5000 RPM while another 3-4000 RPM is left untouched.

Its better to ride this in city and thrash it for you will hardly get a chance to red line it very often. Once in a while it is also ok to red line it.

Also the 650 tank is fairly bigger compared to the others from the specs. I ride a Fz6r and i get around 120-130 miles on a full tank in city riding and aorund 160 on highway. Capacity around 4.5 if i am right.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 01:09   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I still weigh the protection it offers over the look. How many superbikers hesitate to put anything like a helmet or bag on their fuel tank?
I agree. The peace of mind it gives is definitely worth a lot. I have become friendly with the 3M staff in Gurgaon because of my regular visits for my car.
Instead of the owner, will take the installers advice on which all parts to get it installed on because the owner sometimes tries too hard to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Rachit- i got 3M PPF on my Z800 tank and fibre around seat area.
There are no sctraches even after mounting saddle bag.
It looks good only if installed properly.
It's difficult to install near curves. Better to avoid it rather than taking chance.
Ok sir. I really want to try it. Might give it a shot first on the mudguard only or something like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Crusing at 100 you are talking about 4-5000 RPM while another 3-4000 RPM is left untouched.

Also the 650 tank is fairly bigger compared to the others from the specs. I ride a Fz6r and i get around 120-130 miles on a full tank in city riding and aorund 160 on highway. Capacity around 4.5 if i am right.
Yeah, the fuel capacity is 17.1 Litres.

I did see a couple of videos on youtube almost taking it 90+ in the first gear only. My observation is at 4000 RPM in 6th gear the bike is doing around 95-97 KM/hr.

Rachit

Last edited by Rachit.K.Dogra : 21st August 2015 at 01:11.
Old 21st August 2015, 06:33   #128
BHPian

Congratulations Rachit on your dream bike.

It's the most amazing feeling to have so many horses under your belt.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Safety always first, so do get yourself the best protection.
My suggestions are, DOT approved helmet, one or two piece leather suit, ankle length boots, gloves and back protector.
Next protection for your bike. Frame sliders, fork protectors, spool sliders, engine casing covers, tank pad and radiator and oil cooler guard.

Please see this movie
Twist of the wrist - Part 2 by Keith Code

Do get acquainted with every aspect your bike. Also ride your bike in stock condition for a few thousand km before you do performance mods.

Ride safe.👍
Happysmiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 19:06   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I did see a couple of videos on youtube almost taking it 90+ in the first gear only. My observation is at 4000 RPM in 6th gear the bike is doing around 95-97 KM/hr.

Rachit
From www.cbr650forums.com:

1st gear redlines close to 100 kph
2nd gear redlines close to 145 kph
3rd gear redlines at 170 kph
4th gear redlines around 200 kph
5th gear redlines around 230 kph
and 6th gear redlines at 259 kph
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 19:26   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Congratulations Rachit on your dream bike.

It's the most amazing feeling to have so many horses under your belt.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Safety always first, so do get yourself the best protection.
My suggestions are, DOT approved helmet, one or two piece leather suit, ankle length boots, gloves and back protector.
Next protection for your bike. Frame sliders, fork protectors, spool sliders, engine casing covers, tank pad and radiator and oil cooler guard.

Do get acquainted with every aspect your bike. Also ride your bike in stock condition for a few thousand km before you do performance mods.

Ride safe.��
Thank you very much brother. I agree, with great power comes great responsibility.

I do have a decent list of street Riding gear already with me.
Bell Vortex Helmet + Vega helmet
Dainese Air-3 Textile Jacket + DSG Maze Jacket
Dainese New drake air pants
A* SMX2 gloves + Dainese Veloce Gloves
A* SM5 full boots.
Need to just get a 1 piece for the track but sometime in future.

Yup, no performance mods planned as of now. I have played with my Karizma enough and dont have a huge urge to mod things right away. I am loving this bike stock for now atleast.

Thanks for sharing the video brother. I have seen the first one. Didn't knew about the second one. Will definitely watch it rather watch it many times over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
From www.cbr650forums.com:

1st gear redlines close to 100 kph
2nd gear redlines close to 145 kph
3rd gear redlines at 170 kph
4th gear redlines around 200 kph
5th gear redlines around 230 kph
and 6th gear redlines at 259 kph
I think 259 is very optimistic. I have not seen it go above 240 in stock form.
Some modded one's did go to 248 etc.

But thanks for sharing.

Rachit

Last edited by Rachit.K.Dogra : 21st August 2015 at 19:28.
Old 21st August 2015, 20:31   #131
Senior - BHPian

Definite mod needed is exhaust, power commander and quick shifter. These are mandatory IMHO once you start riding.

The stock sound is so muted and it hardly feels like riding a power bike and to me i need the rumble and the sweet sound of the exhaust.

Dont get me wrong in showroom it may feel grunty but a two brothers or an akropovic makes a huge difference both in performance and sound.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 21:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Definite mod needed is exhaust, power commander and quick shifter. These are mandatory IMHO once you start riding.

The stock sound is so muted and it hardly feels like riding a power bike and to me i need the rumble and the sweet sound of the exhaust.

Dont get me wrong in showroom it may feel grunty but a two brothers or an akropovic makes a huge difference both in performance and sound.
Honestly, I never thought I would say this but I am not having a strong urge for an exhaust as of yet. I mean why do we buy Inline 4s? Exhaust is very big factor? Right? But somehow I am loving this stock smooth engine noise as of now. I am pretty sure with time I will get over it and want something louder.

Plus not a lot of money left, considering there is so much of crash protection stuff that I have yet to buy.
Also, I am keen on Akra, and they have not yet started delivering the exhaust for this bike.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 21:45   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, I never thought I would say this but I am not having a strong urge for an exhaust as of yet. I mean why do we buy Inline 4s? Exhaust is very big factor? Right? But somehow I am loving this stock smooth engine noise as of now. I am pretty sure with time I will get over it and want something louder.
With you on that one.

Right now my mind says I will never ever replace that stock exhausts I got. It makes a sweet noise high up and doesn't turn me deaf while cruising long distances on highways. And no, I do not crave for more power and nor will I ever, while I am still in India.
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 22:44   #134
BHPian

Quote:
That might be a good thing in the current scenario with the traffic cops trying to fine Superbikes / or bikes with 'different' sounding exhausts. Well, in Bangalore atleast...
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 23:02   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
With you on that one.

Right now my mind says I will never ever replace that stock exhausts I got. It makes a sweet noise high up and doesn't turn me deaf while cruising long distances on highways. And no, I do not crave for more power and nor will I ever, while I am still in India.
In my case it is really strange. I have always dreamt of an Inline 4 with an Akra on it. This feeling somehow started changing when I test rode the Z800. There is just a very special feeling of a smooth Inline 4 engine that I had never experienced and just fell in love with. I am loving it as it is as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
That might be a good thing in the current scenario with the traffic cops trying to fine Superbikes / or bikes with 'different' sounding exhausts. Well, in Bangalore atleast...
Yup. I am pretty sure if this picks up other cities might also follow suit. Not that I am against louder exhausts rather for me, it is eargasm for the most part.

Rachit