Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:46   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Doc, cannot handle this waiting game any more. Might as well settle for the V650, use it for a while and trade it for something more exciting when its here. On personal level, i dont think i will be doing hard-core off roading. Am looking at a bike with good touring capabilities which can take the usually broken Indian roads with comfort. Hope they give test rides so we can be sure before committing. My only concern with V650 is the seat height and the quality of suspension. A lot of folks on international V650 forums have complained about suspension being stiff.
Some lucky riders had a nice time yesterday courtesy Kawasaki India. Getting to try their hands on some really manic liter class machines on the test track as well. Among other things ....

A photo (what can be shared ) ......

Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?-img20151122wa0003.jpg

The Jap guy is their Head of Sales. And reportedly a manic rider himself. That's how to sell bikes!
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:14   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I had checked the 650 GT personally here in Bangalore and found it to be quite heavy and big.
Mate be prepared for the weight game besides the wait game as the Kawasaki Versys 650 weighs in at 220+ kgs. The Benelli TNT 650 GT is around 15-17 kgs more heavier as it has that humongous 27 litre fuel tank and is also it's a 4 cylinder. I am not sure why Kawasaki is not considering the KLR650 for India. That motorcycle is just perfect with its carb engine, huge fuel tank, spoke wheels and no nonsense look and engine. Totally utilitarian and abuse friendly. Anyways looking forward to your buying the Kawasaki Versys 650. I was at one point considering the Versys 1000 but dropped it for now as I have something else in mind.
navin_v8 is offline  
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:22   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
the Kawasaki Versys 650 weighs in at 220+ kgs. The Benelli TNT 650 GT is around 15-17 kgs more heavier
The Versys at 216 kgs is only 5 kilos heavier than the Ninja 650 and a full 27 kilos lighter than the Benelli at 243 kilos.

All wet weights.
ebonho is offline  
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:04   #79
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 782
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Mate be prepared for the weight game besides the wait game as the Kawasaki Versys 650 weighs in at 220+ kgs. The Benelli TNT 650 GT is around 15-17 kgs more heavier as it has that humongous 27 litre fuel tank and is also it's a 4 cylinder. I am not sure why Kawasaki is not considering the KLR650 for India. That motorcycle is just perfect with its carb engine, huge fuel tank, spoke wheels and no nonsense look and engine. Totally utilitarian and abuse friendly. Anyways looking forward to your buying the Kawasaki Versys 650. I was at one point considering the Versys 1000 but dropped it for now as I have something else in mind.
As Doc pointed out, its a bit lighter, But you are right in saying that is not really a light bike. infact, its been one of my concerns.
However, while test riding the bonnie at 225 odd kgs, i found it relatively light to throw around, whereas while test riding the tiger 800Xrx which is lighter than bonnie, it felt heavy. Must the the CG and weight distribution. From the web reviews, the versys 650 seems to be well balanced and relatively nimble. Will only know when we get to test one. Also, have been riding bullets all these days so that should help a bit with weight.

Quote:
Some lucky riders had a nice time yesterday courtesy Kawasaki India. Getting to try their hands on some really manic liter class machines on the test track as well. Among other things ....
Sire, feels like you were one of the lucky ones.
what was the event and where? Was the H2 there as well? Did the Sales head reveal anything on the what we could expect in 2016? And any discussions/updates on the Versys?
nasirkaka is offline  
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:18   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
As Doc pointed out, its a bit lighter
"Bit" being an understatement of course.

Quote:
Must the the CG and weight distribution.
The Tiger carries its weight higher up than the GS does. Same for the Ninja 650 (the pendulum effect I have spoken about in other posts). The Versys is surprisingly much better balanced in spite of looking more top heavy. Must be the reworked suspension.

There is a senior member here, arpandiv, who owns and rides a Ninja 650 and has lived with and ridden a Versys for a week in Thailand. He would be a proper go to guy for a nice seat of the pants zero internet/journo jargon comparo.

Quote:
Sire, feels like you were one of the lucky ones.
what was the event and where? Was the H2 there as well? Did the Sales head reveal anything on the what we could expect in 2016? And any discussions/updates on the Versys?
Sire was not invited, lowly el cheapo KTM rider that sire is. So sire was cooling his backside in front of the TV (whose picture tube blew - compounding a lovely Sunday) while sire's friend was ripping these monsters and burning sire with feedback and photos on his return.

Again, a bhpian here, and one who is silent and rides a lot more than he talks. Some impressive rides too. Sire planning to get off his arthritic backside and joining him soon.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:12   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Versys at 216 kgs is only 5 kilos heavier than the Ninja 650 and a full 27 kilos lighter than the Benelli at 243 kilos.

All wet weights.
Yep agreed, I got confused with the weights as per Benelli's international website claiming it to be 223kgs(which is except fuel) and Indian website claiming 243 kgs. Therefore adding 24.3 litres of fuel to the fuel tank(90% tankful as quoted by the website) brings it up to 243 kgs. In addition to its 27 litre fuel tank the fact that Benelli TNT 600 GT is a 4 cylinder motorcycle makes it obvious that it will weigh more than the Versys 650 on any given day.

Mods kindly correct the typo error where I typed Benelli TNT 650GT instead of Benelli TNT 600GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
As Doc pointed out, its a bit lighter, But you are right in saying that is not really a light bike. infact, its been one of my concerns.
Mate once you start riding you will get used to all that weight. It is like our fellow Indian riders upgrading from 100cc commuter motorcycles to Bullets. The transition happens in time and your body gets used to it.
Quote:
However, while test riding the bonnie at 225 odd kgs, i found it relatively light to throw around, whereas while test riding the tiger 800Xrx which is lighter than bonnie, it felt heavy. Must the the CG and weight distribution.
You answered your own question in the latter part of the post mate. Bonneville is a retro classic roadster and has lower seat height compared to the ADV Tourer Tiger 800 which has a tall saddle height, coupled with bigger diameter wheel upfront and a bigger fuel tank which makes it feel front heavy.
Quote:
From the web reviews, the versys 650 seems to be well balanced and relatively nimble. Will only know when we get to test one. Also, have been riding bullets all these days so that should help a bit with weight.
The Versys 650 is a versatile bike synonymous with its first name. It is the right balance between power and utility coupled with a 20 litre fuel tank. Only if it had spoked wheels it would have made it a complete package. You did have a RE AVL Machismo right? so that should help with the weight issues.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:41   #82
BHPian
 
Jet-thrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 31
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

The Versys 650 LT seemed to be fit the bill for me (Can't afford the Tiger) but the absence of ABS is a deal breaker.

Someone please help me by suggesting an alternative.
My requirements are
1. Long distance tourer with limited off roading.
2. Comfort
3. Safety ie ABS is a must.
4. Budget approx 7 Lakhs.
5. A somewhat reasonable dealer network since I shift often all over the country.

Thank you.
Jet-thrust is offline  
Old 23rd November 2015, 19:57   #83
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 782
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
The Versys 650 LT seemed to be fit the bill for me (Can't afford the Tiger) but the absence of ABS is a deal breaker.
BUT versys is coming wit ABS almost certainly. And it does tick all your other requirements.
If not, i was intending to get the scrambler and modify a bit from touring point. And its not that we are on highway all the time, and this one can be used with ease for day to day riding as well. I have done a few long rides on 390, and was quite ok with the sitting posture over time except that towards the end of the day, the legs feel a bit cramped cos of the rear set pegs. Scramblers posture is slightly better. So Versys 650 ABS or the Scrambler for me. Waiting for the next best thing on the horizon is a never ending process.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 00:23   #84
BHPian
 
djpeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 605
Thanked: 735 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
BUT versys is coming wit ABS almost certainly. And it does tick all your other requirements.
If not, i was intending to get the scrambler and modify a bit from touring point. And its not that we are on highway all the time, and this one can be used with ease for day to day riding as well. I have done a few long rides on 390, and was quite ok with the sitting posture over time except that towards the end of the day, the legs feel a bit cramped cos of the rear set pegs. Scramblers posture is slightly better. So Versys 650 ABS or the Scrambler for me. Waiting for the next best thing on the horizon is a never ending process.
Not to go off topic but after riding 15,000km on my Bonnie, I think it's a super competent tourer. Cruise all day at 120 without breaking a sweat.

Yes, she doesn't have ABS but apart from that, with a King and Queen seat slapped on and some soft panniers, she'll go anywhere.
djpeesh is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 09:40   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Not to go even further off topic, but I wonder if there is some consensus from respective pillions across the country as to which is the most comfortable/least painful or traumatic bike for two-up riding from a pillion's perspective.

I think nothing comes close to the seat of the Kinetic Honda to be honest, but that's just me.

I know an uncle in Jamshedpur who's meticulously restored his old Norton and then fitted a slightly reworked Kinetic seat (same base) on to it. The result was aesthetically quite pleasing to be honest.
ebonho is offline  
Old 24th November 2015, 12:59   #86
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 782
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Not to go off topic but after riding 15,000km on my Bonnie, I think it's a super competent tourer. Cruise all day at 120 without breaking a sweat.

Yes, she doesn't have ABS but apart from that, with a King and Queen seat slapped on and some soft panniers, she'll go anywhere.
It all started with the bonnie. I love that bike and wanted one. Then the news on scrambler caught my attention, and made wee-bit more sense from weight, safety (ABS), power, usd forks point of view. Found the suspension on the Bonnie on the stiffer side over broken roads (almost like my 390). Versys 650 made the best sense for my requirements with a decent power to weight, adjustable suspension with decent travel, windshield, upright posture, panniers provision, and hopefully cost
nasirkaka is offline  
Old 24th November 2015, 20:26   #87
BHPian
 
Jet-thrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 31
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

@nasirkaka thanks for the advice man.
A friend who knows someone in Kawasaki told me that there is a fair chance that ABS will be removed to save costs.
Hope they are not silly enough to do that.
The Bonnie is a beaut but a tad uncomfortable for the taller guys.
Jet-thrust is offline  
Old 25th November 2015, 13:49   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 38
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-thrust View Post
A friend who knows someone in Kawasaki told me that there is a fair chance that ABS will be removed to save costs.
Hope they are not silly enough to do that.
Kawasaki has already imported ABS versions of the bike, if they planned remove it, they could have saved more by importing Non ABS version. And I wonder what they would do with the ABS kits.
Arvin_86 is offline  
Old 25th November 2015, 16:56   #89
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Not to go even further off topic, but I wonder if there is some consensus from respective pillions across the country as to which is the most comfortable/least painful or traumatic bike for two-up riding from a pillion's perspective.

I think nothing comes close to the seat of the Kinetic Honda to be honest, but that's just me.

I know an uncle in Jamshedpur who's meticulously restored his old Norton and then fitted a slightly reworked Kinetic seat (same base) on to it. The result was aesthetically quite pleasing to be honest.
My better half feedback, after all the mods I did on the ninja and back from a long ride, thu ek nayi bullet kyun nahi leta
Khodays is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 17:02   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,178 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
My better half feedback, after all the mods I did on the ninja and back from a long ride, thu ek nayi bullet kyun nahi leta
Problem with these bikes is that the ladies feel as if they are sitting in the sky. Which is a creepy feeling when you are hurtling along at triple digit speeds. Not that I have ever been able to get above 40 off late with any of my ladies sitting behind me .....
ebonho is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 narula123 Superbikes & Imports 324 28th November 2017 13:00
Rumour: Kawasaki considering a 250cc Versys sadsack Motorbikes 5 23rd October 2016 12:39
Kawasaki Versys 1000 launched at Rs 12.9 lakh theredliner Superbikes & Imports 3 3rd March 2016 03:33
Upgraded from 12 BHP to 72 BHP, please welcome the Kawasaki Ninja 650 rbp Superbikes & Imports 97 20th September 2015 11:24
Kawasaki to bring Versys 1000, ER-6n to India Aditya Superbikes & Imports 29 6th February 2015 10:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks