Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 5th October 2015, 17:12   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Great review mobike 008!
Could you please comment a little more on the exposed wiring on the street 750 in the new line up?
Well, as mentioned the exposed wiring still remains more or less in similar fashion. There has been no attempt made to cover it completely. I just felt that it was tucked in nicely but, is still glaringly visible to naked eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Also, how was it to ride the new HD's in the wet? Any difference from the current line up?
I rode the Forty-Eight for first time so I cant compare it with older version

Iron 883 seems much improved now especially its seating and suspension set-up

Street 750 remains exactly the same except for an all new braking system that has considerably improved its braking and now brings in a lot more confidence while sudden braking.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 19:14   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Riding Harley-Davidsons in Japan - Street 750, Forty-Eight and Iron 883

Was surfing the HD website just now. The blue given in the website seems really tacky, but in your pics, the blue looks darker and more acceptable.

Also, the fuel economy mentioned for the Iron is 4.6 l/100 km, whereas the one for Street 750 is given as 5.74 l/100 km.

How's that possible? Am I reading something wrong here? I thought the Street is the more frugal of the two, and this time when we rode the 2015 models to Kerala, all the Irons had to be refueled every 200 kms, whereas the Street would last some more. Does the Street have a poorer fuel economy than that of the Iron? In that case, with improved suspension and a GC of 140 mm, the Iron probably makes sense as a tourer too.

Here are the links:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_IN...50.html#!specs

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_IN...83.html#!specs

Can someone explain the figures to me? I am reading it as:

Iron returns 21.73 kpl (which is about the same as I get on my ER6n)
Street returns 17.42 kpl (which is worse than a Bonnie)

Please correct me if I am reading something wrong here.
Oreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 10:51   #18
BHPian

@mobike008 thank you for the wonderful report and wonderful pictures.

Psst - it would be nice to have proper riding boots and gloves to go along with the jacket
noo.b is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 17:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Does this not look like a design flaw?
The protruding exhaust is very close to where one would keep his leg to operate the brake. Looking at its tiny size, it might get very hot in no time.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 11:42   #20
BHPian

Great report and accompanying pics, thanks for sharing! The new Iron 883 is very enticing!
grplr02 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 21:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What remains the biggest disappointment for prospective Street 750 buyers would be the exclusion of ABS in the 2016 models. This would have made the bike a complete package at the VFM price point that it's offered at.
That's a sore point for the Iron 883 and the Forty-Eight too. None of the below 10L bikes of HD have ABS as stock.

I am considering buying the Iron 883, but ABS is what is keeping me away from it. Waiting for some of the speculations to be true about the government bringing in ABS compulsion for all bikes above 150cc from April 2017. Hopefully HD will be compelled to bring ABS on at that points
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2015, 09:36   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noo.b View Post
Psst - it would be nice to have proper riding boots and gloves to go along with the jacket
I own a proper full sized cortech riding boots and was carrying the same but, short walk in the rain, the Velcro got loose and was hanging out...so those boots were a last minute change

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Waiting for some of the speculations to be true about the government bringing in ABS compulsion for all bikes above 150cc from April 2017. Hopefully HD will be compelled to bring ABS on at that points
If that happens, its indeed a big boon for the serious riding community in India. We spend upwards of 5 lakhs and don't get the basic safety feature-not done

Harley is not the only example, even Bonnie that I owned in past didn't have an ABS ( its a different story its brakes were outstanding even without ABS) but, I agree it should be made mandatory from a certain engine capacity for all bikes
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote