Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 21st October 2015, 07:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Dilemma of the Ninja: Pre-owned 650 vs new 300. EDIT: 650 it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
and you are certain you don't have as much high speed aspirations to often do over 130.
The 300 in the right hands can stay with any big bike on a ride ricci.

It's top end is in the mid 190s. A fair way higher than 130.

And knowing how its 250 sibling reaches its top end (read creamy smooth and quick), it will get up there pretty easily as well.

Top speed is hardly a factor between the two frankly, as Sheel and I were discussing some posts ago.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 08:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Any help or insights would be helpful in making the decision.
Have lost my qualification long long ago to provide any suggestions on bikes. However, would still like to say this: ride both. See which one you are more comfortable with. 100 > 300 or 100 > 650 can just be numbers in the head. You could stay satisfied with a 300 for many years, or outgrow the 650 in a few months. If you are buying one, buy what you will enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Don't buy the N650 just because your neighbour is selling it.
+1. I would like to add here - dont buy a bike just because your neighbor is selling it. Buy one if you want one. Who knows, it could something else other than the Kwacker.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 08:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I am in a dilemma now as to buy a new Ninja 300 or a 1.5 year old Ninja-650.
Here's my suggestion:

Dont go by the cost of purchasing -> go by the cost of owning these bikes.

Enquire about the cost for the following: 300 vs 650

1. Engine oil & Oil Filter
2. Air Filter
3. Chain Sprocket
4. Cost of liquids (Brake/Coolant etc)
5. Cost of Tyres

A normal service for my Ninja 300 would cost approx. 4K.

Quote:
The Owner has changed the tyres about a month back. So tyre change is not until few thousand kms.
9500 kms and the tyres changed? That's strange, unless the owner upgraded the tyres. See if you can gather more information on the service history of this bike.

My suggestion to you would be go for the new N300, so you have some peace of mind.
aviorp is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 10:13   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Top speed is hardly a factor between the two frankly, as Sheel and I were discussing some posts ago.
I am currently out with my Explorer but has someone any nos of both [N-300 & N-650]? The way they make their power is entirely different and I prefer the N-300 to N-650 here. But most will prefer the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
9500 kms and the tyres changed? That's strange, unless the owner upgraded the tyres.
A 650's tire won't be lasting much I think. D-390 riders are changing their tire at 6/7K.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 10:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Here's my suggestion:

I believe the difference in the cost of ownership of these two will not be significantly different. Both engines would require synthetic oil and both are brought is as CKD units.

Quote:

This will be my first bike over 100CC and my riding will be limited to only weekends and occasional office runs.

I have learnt the hard way that choosing a bike should be strictly need based. From what you have mentioned, both these bikes will suit your needs albeit a little differently.

In your scenario,

For Ninja 300:
  1. Feeling of owning a brand new bike.
  2. The Ninja 300 has far more low end torque than the 250 did and hence is much more ridable in city traffic.
  3. In my opinion, more than sufficient performance for our road conditions and for a person upgrading from commuter bikes.
  4. More fuel efficient than the 650. (Since you plan to use it for commute)

Against Ninja 300:
  1. No pillion comfort in comparison with the 650.
  2. Relatively sporty riding position for your planned usage.
  3. I see more 650s on the roads than 300s. So the spare part availability for the 300 *might* be tougher than for a 650, or let's say, there might be bigger delays.

For Ninja 650:
  1. More torque and power.
  2. Pillion comfort for touring.
  3. The price you are getting it at.

Against Ninja 650:
  1. Used bike. Although the fact that you are getting it from a known source helps.
  2. Heavier. Weight always makes it's presence felt in slow moving traffic.

All the best on making your decision!

Last edited by Added_flavor : 21st October 2015 at 11:02.
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 11:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
has someone any nos of both [N-300 & N-650]? The way they make their power is entirely different and I prefer the N-300 to N-650 here. But most will prefer the latter.
The quickest 0-100 kmph I could find for the Ninja 650 was around 4.5-4.6 seconds.

The quickest 0-100 kmph I could find for the Ninja 300 was around 5.5-6.0 seconds, though there are more 6.5-7.0 seconds found as well (probably rider dependent more than the machine though).

Just to also pull the Duke 390 into the mix, the quickest 0-100 kmph I could find for the Duke 390 was 4.7-4.8 seconds, and most report it as sub 5 seconds. The Duke 390 in a couple of online head to heads as well as what I have heard from a few riders, is also ahead of the Ninja 300 up to around 150 kmph, after which the smaller Ninja pulls stronger and reaches a higher top end as well.

So the docile/sedate Ninja 650 is still comfortably the quickest and fastest of the three. But all 3 for all intents and purposes of our roads and riders and traffic are pretty quick and fast regardless. Of course one costs 6.5 lacs, one costs 4 lacs, and one cost 2 lacs (or closer to 2.5 if one wants the RC in the picture - but then the RC is a bit faster, though a bit less quick, than the Duke as well, and so further closes the gap to the Ninja 300).

I have no numbers yet for the Yamaha 300, but am pretty certain it will not let the badge down.

Hope that helps.

Disclaimer per forum rules: These numbers are all as per those reported by testers from various bike websites/forums/magazines and not from normal day to day riding on public roads.

Last edited by ebonho : 21st October 2015 at 11:37.
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 12:26   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's my suggestion:

Enquire about the cost for the following: 300 vs 650

1. Engine oil & Oil Filter

2. Air Filter

3. Chain Sprocket

4. Cost of liquids (Brake/Coolant etc)

5. Cost of Tyres

A normal service for my Ninja 300 would cost approx. 4K.

9500 kms and the tyres changed? That's strange, unless the owner upgraded the tyres. See if you can gather more information on the service history of this bike.

My suggestion to you would be go for the new N300, so you have some peace of mind.

Avi, my first and second services cost me 3.5k. When I asked about any regular problems with the 650 in general, Ravi (at Kasturba KTM) mentioned that the 650 is a problem free bike and easier to maintain than the 250/300
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 12:44   #38
BHPian

Hi
Both are so different as bikes. They may look similar and from the same manufacturer but they are very different.

My vote would have to be a 650. The big hit has been borne by the first owner. Most guys splurge a bit on their bikes and you benefit by getting all that thrown into the deal free. N650 s pre owned are available by the dozen so you can strike a good deal.

I know you say you are a new to performance machines but the 650 is a very "friendly" machine. Its not going to scare you. Its a really reliable machine and is not expensive to maintain.(relatively). Earlier loads of newbees who wanted something big jumped straight to the liter class machines and with some common sense most adapted!!! You wont remain a newbee forever and your skills will improve as you ride bigger and better bikes. The 650 is nowhere as manic as the big in line fours and you will be fine.

Lastly a 600 / 650 in my opinion will suppress the urge to upgrade a tad longer.

Rgds

Last edited by dinyaar : 21st October 2015 at 13:01.
dinyaar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 19:09   #39
BHPian

Considering your past machines, go for a new N300! Reasons are iterated pretty much by few gentleman in this thread.

In my words, more cubic units appeals to the heart more, but when you on one of them, it is "very" easy to misjudge the machine's capability versus your own. I do not mean to say that you will be rash, but there is a really really thin line!
But, if you have had been riding machines of 500+ cubic engines, not necessarily owned by you, please go ahead with the 650.

Enjoy, be safe and happy riding!
nkishore_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 21:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The 300 in the right hands can stay with any big bike on a ride ricci.

It's top end is in the mid 190s. A fair way higher than 130.
In practical terms, yes definitely. It's true top speed is more like 170. Fast enough for India. I was referring to ease of keeping up with 600+cc bikes - there the 71hp of the Ninja 650 make it a lot easier. Even in the wrong hands
The 130-140 is a ballpark where the 300 can reach in a jiffy and re-achieve it quickly if forced to slow down. After that the numbers get slower to increment.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 21:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
In practical terms, yes definitely. It's true top speed is more like 170. Fast enough for India. I was referring to ease of keeping up with 600+cc bikes - there the 71hp of the Ninja 650 make it a lot easier. Even in the wrong hands
The 130-140 is a ballpark where the 300 can reach in a jiffy and re-achieve it quickly if forced to slow down. After that the numbers get slower to increment.
We will have to agree to disagree here then. Short of me joining you big boys on a ride on a borrowed 300 .....
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 22:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

@let me be honest as well. The last thing you should consider picking these bikes is the TOP end. Even in some tracks these top speeds are seldom achieved due to lack of roads and on roads just doesnt make sense trying it out.

Both are capable. If KTM is out of the picture, the ninjas will both be similar to maintain.

650 will have more than enough while 300 will be right there and you need to rev it hard to achieve what you may achieve in 650.

In twisties the 300 will be far more comfortable for its riding position etc.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I have no doubt about its prowess over distances and flowing roads and even the slightly wider, open curves.

But how about a small comparo with say the Duke 390 in the real hilly twisties?

Are direction changes (linked corners, 1-2-3 type) as easy, intuitive? Mid corner corrections? Can you come in as hot and attack every corner?

I know we are both looking for different things from our primary bikes. Cause I do not have a riding missus. And I am rediscovering my youth on the KTMs once again.

Cheers, Doc
The 650 isn't as much fun to the duke in the handling department, in fact when I ride back to back, I have to be very careful on the duke, as you get the snarly feeling immediately, corner cravings and mental hooliganism is what the duke is all about for me, if I need to go for a ride with the boys on the twisties or backroads, it will be the duke for me.
Khodays is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 13:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodays View Post
The 650 isn't as much fun to the duke in the handling department, in fact when I ride back to back, I have to be very careful on the duke, as you get the snarly feeling immediately, corner cravings and mental hooliganism is what the duke is all about for me, if I need to go for a ride with the boys on the twisties or backroads, it will be the duke for me.
If you've kept the 390 then you really have the best of both worlds.

Sort of like the Bullet and the RD before these two.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 14:24   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@let me be honest as well. The last thing you should consider picking these bikes is the TOP end. Even in some tracks these top speeds are seldom achieved due to lack of roads and on roads just doesnt make sense trying it out.
Mate +1 to you on that front. I mean I don't understand what is the fascination with top end speed. Will I be able to ride it at that speed all day, I need to hunt for empty roads to do such insane speeds especially in a country like India, or does it give one bragging rights(ego massage) about mine is faster than yours. I mean come on we are not racers or some MotoGP riders who gun their throttle to remain at the front all the time. The more important thing here is being comfortable with the motorcycle and the very feeling when you are riding the motorcycle.
Quote:
650 will have more than enough while 300 will be right there and you need to rev it hard to achieve what you may achieve in 650.
Yes that is very true where the 650 will be relaxed doing those speeds the 300 would be screaming its lungs out while doing the same speeds.

To the OP, vikrantj mate I feel like many others who have told here. You can test ride the used Ninja 650(as it belongs to you neighbour) and see how it feels. About the new Ninja 300 I'm not sure you can get a test ride due to Kawasaki's weird policy of not allowing test rides. But still just try and take a test ride before deciding. While you are at it also consider the Yamaha R3 which is a formidable(even better) opponent to the Ninja 300. abhisheksarkar mate's thread on the Yamaha R3 is enlightening and very detailed, just go through it to get an idea. I will repeat again test ride the motorcycles listed before deciding. For example I wasn't convinced to buy the Thunderbird500 until I took a test ride. One test ride and the next thing I saw myself doing was signing the dotted line on the cheque.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote