Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 22nd February 2016, 08:26   #466
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Guys, anyone believes in this revolutionary or should I say radical way to break-in a car/bike?

Has anyone done this before or you all follow the traditional/manual way?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Have you considered a professional vinyl wrap as that way you dont alter the paint or the color in the Regn Card.
Haroon, how much would it cost to get a wrap done for the V650? Will it be < 10K at a 3M outlet? Also hope it's a reversible act?

I might consider the yellow or orange to go with base color (black)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 08:48   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have never followed the manual way. I know i am extreme but as an engineer it didnt make sense to me to protect an engine till 1000km and suddenly thrash it. I have ensured i run my bikes hard. From my 2005 RE bullet to 2013 KTM390. I just dont ride it at max rpm for all the time. But the bike will see max RPM right out of the showroom if i can. But usually it takes few days before i get comfortable with the bike to push it hard.

Even inside city its rode hard. One thing i avoid during break in is lugging the engine. This also means i am riding at power band. My KTM 390 was run above 5000 rpm except in first gear or occasions. Otherwise i like to be in that power band.My RE-500, day 1 of delivery i was riding at 90kmph. Varying speed but still the same. Its over 11 years now, same engine, same bore and same piston. I have two other cylinder piston in safe housing for future which only made me ride it even harder. But there is a catch - I check oil everyday, change oil a little regularly even if the manual recommends say 1 year once. I do a check list every day before the bike moves out and its usually warmed enough. Specially these big size engines are usually run in as part of QC to a minimal extent before they are shipped out for assembly. (Atleast the cars i think)

The modern machines are engineering marvel from material science to mechanics. And any out of spec engine will 99% be caught in QC and the rest 1% is usually the lemon under lemon law. If i get a big size motorcycle i would ride it hard in city, like a pendulum in highway.

Considering our roads there is no way you will be riding at highest RPM over 5 seconds which is fine for any engine.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:46   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I have never followed the manual way. If i get a big size motorcycle i would ride it hard in city, like a pendulum in highway.
Thanks for this, was just thinking about it this morning!

In terms of environment, what kind of a first trip would you suggest for someone who wants to complete the running in over a weekend? What kind of roads?

Would you suggest a ride into the mountains, say ooty or coonoor, where you are forced to keep the speed low but the rpms constantly fluctuating? Also a fair bit of highway thrown in prior to the mountains.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:53   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, anyone believes in this revolutionary or should I say radical way to break-in a car/bike?

Haroon, how much would it cost to get a wrap done for the V650? Will it be < 10K at a 3M outlet? Also hope it's a reversible act?

Yes, I have seen this method of break-ins. I certainly dont want to follow such online advices, because the risk is always with us.

I never broke-in any engines prior to this. Not sure if Harley had any break-in requirements. For CBR, I dont think I followed any process other than opening it up to some 3 digit speeds when the ODO was less than 300km. Never had any issues whatsoever. I am trying to follow the process only now, as somehow I felt that I need to take a good care of this machine. Let me see if there are changes post the break-in period.

I got a quote from Mahammed from Wrapcraft, Bangalore. It is around 13k-15k depending the material chosen. Pearl White is around 15k. Matte White is around 13k. High gloss yellow and Satin orange around 15k.

I doubt if 3M provides services for bikes and especially the wrap services.
vprabu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:19   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
I got a quote from Mahammed from Wrapcraft, Bangalore. It is around 13k-15k depending the material chosen. Pearl White is around 15k. Matte White is around 13k. High gloss yellow and Satin orange around 15k.

I doubt if 3M provides services for bikes and especially the wrap services.

I was also told Wrapcraft are among the best in Bangalore and from the pics on their FB page, their work looks very good. But I was thinking the cost would be closer to 8-10k. Additionally, not sure why a 2K premium for matt finish. Probably thats what more people want for their cars & bikes! Thanks Prabu for sharing the price. Maybe you can negotiate a group discount purchase for Versys owners and share on the FB group

Yeah, its completely reversible as I have seen a car that removed it after about a year and the original paint was spotless, besides the wrap acted like paint protection as well

Last edited by Haroon : 22nd February 2016 at 10:24.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:49   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post

PS: One thing I feel jittery about the bike is its all black color. Visibility could be an issue and hence wondering what to do. At least the Top case, I am planning to get black and white combination.
Congrats vprabhu! The bike looks amazing! This and the Street Twin are high on my list as and when I decide to upgrade!

I've been facing the same concern as yours from the last 3 years. I ride a black N250 and unfortunately, wear a black riding jacket as well. If not for the bright DRL, visibility would've seriously been an issue. The other day, the low beam lamp conked off and I just wasn't comfortable riding without the DRL so I switched on the high beam and rode until I replaced the lamp.
You could add the extra aux lamps and increase visibility. I see your helmet is white so that's taken car of (although a yellow or an orange offers more visibility to others), suggest you to buy riding jacket/pants which are not black, if you haven't already. You could also wear a hi-vis sleeveless jacket over your riding gear with the only disadvantage being, it'll negate the purpose of a mesh jacket in a hot city like Chennai. You could also buy bicycle/LED blinkers and attach it to your bike/bag although these are banned here in Blore.

Good luck and ride safe!

Last edited by Porschefire : 22nd February 2016 at 10:54.
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:52   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In terms of environment, what kind of a first trip would you suggest for someone who wants to complete the running in over a weekend? What kind of roads?

Would you suggest a ride into the mountains, say ooty or coonoor, where you are forced to keep the speed low but the rpms constantly fluctuating? Also a fair bit of highway thrown in prior to the mountains
There are no hard and fast rules. The intention is to probably introduce the engine to its limits slowly. My personal point of contention is this arbitrary number of 500 or 1000kms. Its like saying the engine is now all set to thrash at 13000 RPM in first gear for 10 kms.(as an extreme exaggeration).

To me the best run in is taking it to your work and ride it like you would with your old bike or any bike. Meaning revving the way you would normally do (be it using the RPM range in first gear or two). I personally hate to lug a new engine or any engine except on my 500 when i ride in 4th gear at 15kmph hehe.

Mountains to me are ok as long as you dont take it too fast and be sensible. No redlining anytime during these rides. Mid range is where i would keep it in mountains with respect to RPM. The reason i say pendulum is to basically slowly introduce max RPM to the engine by say going up to 6K RPM, dialing it down and then raising to 6.5 K and so on. This is very hard to do specially when you ride in groups where you will be tempted to do something the group does. Group dynamics takes over your priorities.

Track is a great place because you will be forced to break, shift up and down and still stretch the RPM. Many wont agree with this. Anything exteme is to be avoided. And they say constant speed to be avoided, i am simply restating that constant RPM to be avoided.

1- Dont lug the engine
2- Oscillate the RPM
3- No sudden extremes meaning at 5th km of the bike trying to run it at 13K rpm. I would take it gradually there
4- Its not wrong to do an initial oil change say after the first run in. Its not recommended but its ok.
5- City roads to me give the engine a nice work out and introduction to heat gradually.
6- Take breaks for you and the engine. Dont set targets of 800kms in one ride. Split it into 45-60 minute chunk and take a 15 minute break
7- Down hill is slightly free flowing with more work on engine break needing. Meaning your engine is going to run at high rpm. Manage to ensure you are not in the same RPM. The engine breaking is actually good per my take. Again opinions may vary.
9- Only one catch in city riding is the traffic and idling for long time. Thats constant RPM for long time even though its low. If you can manage to keep the bike moving, city thrashing helps

The manual advice is given for a reason. Following it protects your warranty and what not.

Ultimate advice is - Follow the manual till the break in period. Then follow my advice of second break in where you still slowly introduce it to different RPM and engine breaking.

And remember, when the engine fails neither me or the websites suggesting modern break in methods will come to help you. Hence stick to what will work for you by the factory and manual recommendation. Some take the risk and i am one of them for sure. To me its safe risk of oscillating RPM during initial period.

Quote:
Congrats vprabhu! The bike looks amazing! This and the Street Twin are high on my list as and when I decide to upgrade!

I've been facing the same concern as yours from the last 3 years. I ride a black N250 and unfortunately, wear a black riding jacket as well.
Get those reflective traffic police vests and stickers and light up that motorcycle. Most of the jackets anyway come with reflective stickers but getting that green traffic police jacket will definitely help. Helmet reflective stickers and any additional light that will make your bike visible is always good. Dont worry about police pulling over for illegal lights. Saving ourselves definitely better than that fine.

Last edited by VW2010 : 22nd February 2016 at 10:55.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:02   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post

You could add the extra aux lamps and increase visibility. I see your helmet is white so that's taken car of (although a yellow or an orange offers more visibility to others), suggest you to buy riding jacket/pants which are not black, if you haven't already. You could also wear a hi-vis sleeveless jacket over your riding gear with the only disadvantage being, it'll negate the purpose of a mesh jacket in a hot city like Chennai. You could also buy bicycle/LED blinkers and attach it to your bike/bag although these are banned here in Blore.

Good luck and ride safe!
Sadly, my jackets too are black. RJays Octane. Now looking at A* for different color options. But other jacket colors would be difficult to maintain, especially in this polluted roads.

@VW2010
I too have the green sleeveless police jackets that I am considering using it on top of the jacket during the dark. I don't ride during nights anyways. Will try the reflective stickers for helmets.

@techfreak

Yes, I think OE Aux cannot be mounted with H&B.

I am also getting a Denali D4 aux and hence it should be a good add-on. Thanks for the interesting idea on the bicycle blinkers.
vprabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:16   #474
BHPian

Enquired with Khivraj Kawasaki, Kochi for Versys 650. Got reply that they only cater 800cc and above, will have to quote KTM Bajaj for Versys 650.

Casually enquired about the OTR of Z800. It is Rs.9 Lac+. Was surprised to know that in Kerala road tax is 20% ( almost 1.6Lacs, that is much more than the tax paid by me for XUV 3 yrs. back)

That mean's Versys 650 would cost almost Rs.7.75 Lac OTR (excluding insurance)

Last edited by Vasuki : 22nd February 2016 at 11:36.
Vasuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:29   #475
BHPian

OK, The story over the weekend.

Took half day off last Friday and went straight to KTM 8th mile, peenya, to take delivery. Total there were 6 bikes being delivered and every one, as expected was very excited. After the paper work, identifying 'ONES' bike from the lot, taking some snaps, getting the saree guard removed, we all left the showroom. They only gave 3 lts of fuel (how very sad), so we straight headed off to the shell petrol bunk, just across the road. Got fuel, and most of us us took the nice road to get back to our respective area in the city. I rode back with Manish, who was one of the 6. It was already dark (around 7pm) when we left the showroom.

My Impressions so far: (most of it may subconsciously be related to duke 390, which i have been riding)
First thing which stuck me was the HEIGHT. the bike is TALL. i am just over 5'9" and and could only touch the ground with both toes. The height definitely was a bit intimidating, and coupled with the weight of the bike, it did feel different and gave impression of me sitting on a big bike. Folks on the shorted side may find it challenging, esp in traffic.
After filling the gas at shell, we took nice road and started our 50km ride back home. Right from the showroom, there was some pronounced buzzing sound from the console area, which in all the excitement and euphoria was neglected. Now on relatively quieter nice road, i could clearly hear the buzzing sound, especially at around 2-3k rpm. Tried figuring out but could not locate the sound. Asked Manish to ride the bike and he figured it out. The speedo console was the culprit, when slightly pressed, the sound would go, leave it and buzzing returned. I was quite depressed, :( did not not at all enjoy the ride back home as this buzz kept playing on my ears and mind. Brand new bike, and so much for PDI. Reached home, and this issue actually gave me a very disturbed sleep. decided to try and sort this out the next day.

Coming back to other aspects, the weight immediately dissapears once the bike starts rolling. Its very easy to ride it even at crawling speed, with both feet on the pegs, could the weight of the bike here. Just that when i stop and put my foot down, i wonder where's the ground.

Headight: felt inadequate even with high beam, could be that i am used the the aux LED (white) lights on my 390.
Engine: as expected, felt smooth, and powerful and decently torquey. I am used to 390, so the acceleration was not intimidating. Not that i was pushing the bike hard - tried running at different RPMs, in different gears, using engine breaking. Was not religiously following up the 4k rpm limit, but was playing within 6-6.5k rpm. Took 2 short breaks for engine cool down.
Gear box& shifter: shifting gear is a bit clunky, with clearly audible sound, but it slots in perfectly, Not a single missed gear, not a single stalling. Shifts become smooth as we climb up the gear.
Clutch: felt more or less like my first gen 390.
Brake: is nice, even better then 390. confidence inspiring.
Handling: as said, the bike feels nimble once in motion, and its relatively easy to flick it around. Feels agile around turns.
Shocks: This was one of the important reasons for me selecting this bike, and i must say i am not disappointed. It absorbs the road undulations very well, and does a great job.
However, the front end feels very soft, (not sure if they have set it like that for India) and dives quite a bit when front brakes are touched. Will have to tweak around with adjustments at a later stage to figure all this out, but initial impression is a comfortable ride over broken roads.
Seat: seat is nice and cushioney (esp after the wooden 390 seat), bit i have a feeling that its slightly forward inclined. Will be able to comment more after a long day in saddle.
Ergonomics: footpegs are spot-on in relation to seat. I feel handle bar is slightly in front and demands a wee-bit lean. Could be sorted with adjustments/raisers .
Rear view Mirror: i am greatly dependent on the RVM and baby versys shines well in this dept. Gives a good view of behind the scene, esp after my duke (even with avenger mirrors), it feels blissful. Reminds me of my bullet days.
Wind shield: set it at lowest and it directs all the wind on the face/helmet, set it at highest and it works well. Somehow, the wind noise feels higher at the same speed, when compared to 390.
Horn: not the most powerful, but decent enough. May require upgrade once the break-in period is over and speed increases.
Tyres: feels grippy enough on tarmac, no loss of traction so far, even at some sharper turns.

Back to the buzzing issue, met up with the dealer (khivraj indiranagar). he did accept the buzzing sound, and asked me to go to kasturba road service station. Met one person by name Ravi, who took a small ride and also acknowledges the distinct buzzing sound. I was hoping they will try and tighten, whatever is loose, all they did was place a double sided foam-tape where the bottom side of the speedo console was touching some other plastic part. They said they will try and sort it out by opening the front part and having a closer look at the first service. most probably i will be getting my services done at Autoservice banashankari, will try and permanently sort this issue. As of now, the Buzz is completely gone with the foam-tape.

Saturday and sunday, rode the bike for about 50-60 kms in Bangalore city. The weight, height etc, is manageable, just that will have to change the mindset and accept the fact that i am riding a dimensionally big bike, which is tall and heavy aswell. Should not dart into the smaller gaps we see, or try and weave between tightly packed stationery traffic. somewhat like bullet, be 100 percent sure of actions with safe result, else dont attempt. Another annoying fact is that people come riding very close to the bike in-order to check it out.
At one point, i almost dropped the bike. while backing out from the parking , and tried leaning the bike slightly with handle turned completely, at one point, the bike leaned a bit and i thought i could not hold it back. Somehow, with all my strength managed to lock my leg and prevent side topple. Bike is still without any protection, will try and get an engine guard soon to begin with. Parking the bike, removing, handling in tight space and uneven surfaces is risky. Cant not treat it like any other smaller bike.

So all in all, an eventful weekend. Got the bike to work today, 25 kms, and was relatively feeling comfortable without any 'heart in the mouth' moment.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 22nd February 2016 at 12:42.
nasirkaka is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:46   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
OK, The story over the weekend.
Congrats on your dream bike nasirkaka. Wishing you a million happy miles on it.

Waiting for a proper impression after a long ride.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:48   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your dream bike nasirkaka.
Thanks!! definitely one of the step bikes in reaching the dream bike.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:26   #478
BHPian

Yes I also think OE auxiliary light kit cannot be fitted with Hepco Becker engine protection. Have downloaded pics of both and compared. So it is either of them.
But my question is what about warranty if we fit Denali or any other non OE electrical item like cigarette lighter socket, GI pro gear indicator, auxiliary lamp etc?
techfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:44   #479
BHPian

congratulations on the bike nasirkaka!

I see that you are from b'lore. If you don't mind sharing, what was the OTR price for you? Do hope to see a review from you soon on this bike.

Being a bit shorter than you, I think the bike may be a bit too tall for my comfort. Will have to check it out at the showroom here in Ahmedabad.

On a side note, did any of the kawasaki dealers that you dealt with mention the vulcan S (the cruiser based on the same platform) coming to India?

congrats again!

Best,
anandpkumar
anandpkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 14:27   #480
BHPian

Quote:
congratulations on the bike nasirkaka!

I see that you are from b'lore. If you don't mind sharing, what was the OTR price for you?
Thanks! The Final OTR Price came to 7.79 _ 4.5k extra for B2B Insurance.
Initially they quoted 7.77 but increase 2+K later. This is at Khivraj motors.
I believe (from this thread) that other dealers such as Kalyanai KTM is charging a bit less, around 7.75+L.

Did not hear anything on Vulcan from the dealers.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote