Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 4th March 2016, 12:31   #586
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
This is the sweating i was talking about. Something to worry? heard the kawasaki 650 twin is an unbreakable engine. Was not expecting this.
Strange and unexpected. Yes, you should get it checked immediately though I would not worry much. I remember something like this happening with my Harley Superlow before the 1st service. Was a simple fix by tightening the head bolts. Never re-occurred after that.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 14:37   #587
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Avi - Its really very strange that your Kawasaki arrived in a VW crate. Please get a PUC done ASAP to check for emission levels Anyways jokes apart - I don't think its a big deal because they maybe recycling crates / wooden planks very often. And they must have missed removing the labels. But yes - it will be interesting thing to know their side of the story.

nasirkaka - Get this to the ASC's attention at the earliest and do not wait for the 1st service. As dkaile mentioned it maybe a simple fix - but don't delay.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 15:11   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Strange and unexpected. Yes, you should get it checked immediately though I would not worry much. I remember something like this happening with my Harley Superlow before the 1st service. Was a simple fix by tightening the head bolts. Never re-occurred after that.
Quote:
nasirkaka - Get this to the ASC's attention at the earliest and do not wait for the 1st service. As dkaile mentioned it maybe a simple fix - but don't delay.
Thanks!
was planning to leave the 390 for service tomorrow at autoservice. Will show them the sweating pics and take the bike there if required. First service is not too far either.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 16:07   #589
BHPian

Saw a versys being ridden on Neeladri road inside EC today afternoon around 12. I am seeing it live for the first time and just one word came out of my mouth, Wow! It sure has great road presence and bike looks BIGG but the exhaust note was not so great.

Was being driven by a well geared gentleman. Any bhpian was on a drive on this side of Bangalore?
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 18:03   #590
BHPian

Hello, what is the general waiting time in various parts of the country if one books a Versys 650 now?
Seems I will have to transfer my booking to some other dealer or may be cancel it altogether.
First delivery date of last week january and then first week of February both came and went but
I am yet to receive my bike so seriously thinking of either transferring it to another dealer or cancelling it and rebooking again once am back to base.(Am out of station for 2 months)
Feeling disgusted by sweet talking and non-delivery by the dealer.
techfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 15:22   #591
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Hello, what is the general waiting time in various parts of the country if one books a Versys 650 now?
My dealership guy quoted flat one week from time of booking. It can be sooner too. So just cancel the booking from your existing dealer as it does not make sense since your out of town

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
(Am out of station for 2 months)
And, get the bike when your back in town. By then dust would have settled down and you might even get an immediate delivery
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 18:27   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My dealership guy quoted flat one week from time of booking. It can be sooner too.
Bangalore folks, is it the same story here too?
Hells_Fury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 09:08   #593
Team-BHP Support

Versys 650 owners. Please share more feedback as you ride more? About how it rides, handles and any other inputs...Would be interesting to compare notes

Last week I was out of town and couldn't ride much. Hope to ride more this week and try to complete that 800kms obstacle

Queries & Observations :

1. Gears ARE becoming a lot smoother. I can do some pretty quick shifts too without missing any gears

2. Front brake adjusted the lever to Position 1 and now it feels slightly better but, front brakes ain't grabby as I prefer them to be and very useful for highway speeds and for traffic conditions. However, the rear brakes are very very good

3. What is the tyre pressure that you'll are using? I'm sure most of you might not even have checked pressure. If I do, what numbers should I keep for both front and rear tyres

4. Tyres are plenty grippy on tarmac and I tried standing on foot-pegs while traversing over speed bumps and bad patches and I'm happy to report the foot-pegs are of good quality. They took my weight easily

5. More I ride, More I'm getting impressed with its flickability and handling. I don't want to make a controversial statement. but, it feels much better at handling than the Bonnie (which is a surprise for a bike this tall). However, there are many Bonnie riders in my friends circle will ride it back to back and confirm for sure in coming days

6. No words to describe the comfort of going over bad patches. Ride is so comfortable that it's brilliant to see such a perfect combination of chassis and suspension. And, I haven't even yet explored any of the 6 rear settings nor the front fork adjusters. Just riding on stock settings and that itself is impressive

7. Since the front brake isn't as confidence inspiring, I m using rear brake more than front ( instead of 70 (front):30 (rear) it is now mostly 60 (rear):40 (front) or 70 (rear):30 (front)....When I apply sudden rear brakes there is a slight sound from suspension that came maybe 2-3 times....Is there anything to worry about? This was when braking suddenly for a speed bump

8. Rider seat position is very comfortable. The back-portion of the seat curves up (for rear passenger) and this acts like a back-rest for me. Very nice

9. Plenty of passing power. Open the throttle slightly and you can put some serious distance between vehicles

10. When the engine starts cold. Hate the slight rough engine sound and revvs high (2K RPM) and take a short while to settle down. So what I do is start the bike, then wear helmet, gloves etc. leisurely and by then the engine settles down to a nice smooth hum

11. Engine is brilliantly tractable and perfect for traffic conditions too. I tried this (Versys 650 owners to confirm). Versys 650 can do as low speeds as 40kmph in 6th gear at 2000 RPM without lugging the engine. What more you want...eh?

12. Have the same problem as I had in Bonnie. There I was hunting for 6th gear, here I'm hunting for 7th gear..LOL!

Extremely Happy with my decision and I can't wait for some long touring to start in near future...
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 09:41   #594
BANNED

Gears are not smooth in the early days, rough engine sound when cold, sound from suspension, front brake not inspiring, sweating engines needing headbolts tightening !

I am astonished that an expensive bike from a legendary bike maker can have such issues.
And why cant these bikes be priced under 5 Lakhs with localisation ?
fiestarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 10:32   #595
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
I am astonished that an expensive bike from a legendary bike maker can have such issues.
I'm surprised that you see my observation as a complaint. I think you should read it more closely to see that I'm smitten to a large extent, It's a fantastic bike for its price

Localization? If that is the only solution every SBK manufacturer would do it and offer the bikes at half the price

Current price for the Versys 650 is extremely mouth-watering and VFM.

What could have been the icing on the cake was if they had priced it just 50K INR over and above Ninja 650 with it's technological upgraded features over the N650

P.S: A brief comparo coming up this weekend between Kawasaki Versys 650 vs. Tiger 800? Keep tuned to this thread
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 11:08   #596
BANNED

@mobike008!
I am merely mentioning the issues that you and others have raised about a bike that costs as much as a sedan. As someone who grew up when money was scarcer and VFM was important, I dont see why a motorcycle which wont be sustainable for more than a few years, should be priced that high.
It is my personal view however retrograde it may seem in these times.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 11:47   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Versys 650 owners. Please share more feedback as you ride more? About how it rides, handles and any other inputs...Would be interesting to compare notes
Saturday went for a short breakfast ride (120 kms). The bike is joy to ride on the highway, very planted and confidence inspiring. Been riding it as a daily office commute (my 390 must be sulking), in order to get the running in done. Have just crossed the 800kms barrier. some observations so far:

firstly, had visited autoservice to show the engine oil sweating. They said it does not look like a leak, could be some oil spill which is catching dust over time, i am not convinced. we have cleaned the area and wiped it nicely, any more sign of oil will confirm if its a leak.
console vibration sound temporarily fixed by soft packing under as well as over the meter housing.
This could be my getting used to riding the 390 for a while, but i feel unsure to keep the bike in low RPM. for eg, even at 70kmph @ 6th gear, i feel i may be lugging the bike and hence shift up. Not sure how it does 40kmph in 6th?
The gear shifts have very slightly improved (i think), still makes an audible thud esp in first few. I am used to bullets do not a big bother for me.
The seat is comfortable, but i feel its sloping forward. I am planning to shave-off some foam, which will level the seat as well as reduce the height a bit.
The suspension is is too soft which results into very comfortable ride. As we are under running-in, speeds are limited so its perfectly ok. Once the speed starts increasing, may have to tweak the suspension on the harder side. Will get it set a bit harder in the first service and explore from there.

Stock lights are not strong enough, will require additional LEDs.

Most of the above points may sounds negative, but So far, i am very happy and keep looking for an excuse to ride.
Quote:
I guess some of it could be related to the fact that the bikes are being assembled here, and the quality check may not be strong enough. Even duke 390, which is being exported to European market undergoes a detailed checkup at Austrian plant before being sold.
Price wise, personally i feel its on a slightly expensive side. should be ideal around the 6L ExS. add to the fact that bikes comes bare basic. Atleast they could have thrown in some accessories like basic protection etc at the current price point.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 12:07   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
I dont see why a motorcycle which wont be sustainable for more than a few years, should be priced that high.
The high price is driven by lack of domestic manufacturing of these bikes. But I disagree with your point of view that these bikes are not sustainable means of transportation. These bikes fall more in the leisure touring category rather than daily commuters. And a huge growing market for them exists in India which have been deprived for years or making do with just the Bullets.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 8th March 2016 at 12:12.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 12:24   #599
BHPian

Quote:
2. Front brake adjusted the lever to Position 1 and now it feels slightly better but, front brakes ain't grabby as I prefer them to be and very useful for highway speeds and for traffic conditions. However, the rear brakes are very very good.
Avi mate I wanted to know if the front end nose dives on hard braking while using the front brakes only when the fuel tank is at its full capacity.
Quote:
11. Engine is brilliantly tractable and perfect for traffic conditions too. I tried this (Versys 650 owners to confirm). Versys 650 can do as low speeds as 40kmph in 6th gear at 2000 RPM without lugging the engine. What more you want...eh?
Brilliant! this means it indeed has a Flat Torque Curve characteristic.

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Where's your ownership thread mate?
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 12:58   #600
BHPian

Quote:

1. Gears ARE becoming a lot smoother. I can do some pretty quick shifts too without missing any gears

3. What is the tyre pressure that you'll are using? I'm sure most of you might not even have checked pressure. If I do, what numbers should I keep for both front and rear tyres

7. Since the front brake isn't as confidence inspiring, I m using rear brake more than front ( instead of 70 (front):30 (rear) it is now mostly 60 (rear):40 (front) or 70 (rear):30 (front)....When I apply sudden rear brakes there is a slight sound from suspension that came maybe 2-3 times....Is there anything to worry about? This was when braking suddenly for a speed bump.

10. When the engine starts cold. Hate the slight rough engine sound and revvs high (2K RPM) and take a short while to settle down. So what I do is start the bike, then wear helmet, gloves etc. leisurely and by then the engine settles down to a nice smooth hum.

Extremely Happy with my decision and I can't wait for some long touring to start in near future...
Congratulations on your motorcycle. On your queries have penned my thoughts.

-In time this should get smoother. Sometimes a delicate preload before switching gears help.

-This is pretty iffy subject. And everybody will give you a number based on their personal preference. Correct me if i am wrong, but the ideal pressure mentioned on the tyres are basis pillion in mind. If riding alone i'd keep it a little lower. Recommended pressure on my bike is 32 in the front and 42 at the rear. I hover at 30 and 40. Helps with the ride comfort too. In your case you'd have to probably tweak and find the right spot.

- I don't know about the suspension sound. But urge you to use your front more than the rear. Will help in controlling the bike better. Is there a way to stiffen the front suspension up?

- The first start is where the engine goes through the most amount of wear and tear. Let it idle for 7-8 minutes till she gets warm and then ride on. Gradually progress through the RPMs.

Cheers and have fun!
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote