Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 8th March 2016, 15:45   #601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post

Most of the above points may sounds negative, but So far, i am very happy and keep looking for an excuse to ride.
Nasir kaka, could you please tell me how the versys suspension does as far as comfort goes when compared to the 390? Is it night and day? What level of degree better is the versys?

Why would you choose to ride the 390 over the versys now that you have both in your garage?
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 15:51   #602
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
but i feel unsure to keep the bike in low RPM. for eg, even at 70kmph @ 6th gear, i feel i may be lugging the bike and hence shift up. Not sure how it does 40kmph in 6th?
Nasir, that input of 2K rpm at 40kmph in 6th gear was based on my experiment this morning. So it's pretty fresh in my mind

But, now you have created a doubt. Let me re-do the test and report back

Quote:
The gear shifts have very slightly improved (i think), still makes an audible thud esp in first few. I am used to bullets do not a big bother for me.
Agree with you. It's improving but there is a light clunk which I don't like (Bonnie's gearing was effortless and noiseless). But, like you rightly said this slight noise is only for 1st and 2nd. 3rd gear onwards its butter smooth

Quote:
The seat is comfortable, but i feel its sloping forward. I am planning to shave-off some foam, which will level the seat as well as reduce the height a bit
I know you did mention this but, I'm still not able to understand what is sloping forward you mean? I didn't feel anything of that sort and feel the rider seat is like "Raj Gadda (King's Seat)" with that slope backwards that acts as back-rest. I find the seat highly comfortable

Quote:
The suspension is is too soft which results into very comfortable ride. As we are under running-in, speeds are limited so its perfectly ok. Once the speed starts increasing, may have to tweak the suspension on the harder side. Will get it set a bit harder in the first service and explore from there.
Hmmm. I will refrain from commenting further here till I put more miles. As of now, I did some bursts of speeds and over bumps. It just glides over bad roads

More on this later....

Quote:
Stock lights are not strong enough, will require additional LEDs
100% agree on stock lights. It's not good at all

I'll add another things I didn't like. HORN! It's so pathetic I think you will not even get your right of way from an old woman

AUX and Horn replacement is mandatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Avi mate I wanted to know if the front end nose dives on hard braking while using the front brakes only when the fuel tank is at its full capacity.
Didn't notice a dive with front-end yet. Let me do a specific test after next tankful and report back if it nose-dives or takes on wings and flies in the air

Quote:
Brilliant! this means it indeed has a Flat Torque Curve characteristic.
I hope so but, as aforementioned. Will repeat this exercise so it's perfectly clear that it indeed has an FTC

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your feedback. Where's your ownership thread mate?
Well, work-life is too busy and it will only get busier. Hope to sit down this weekend and pen down something. I just need 3-4 hours to put things to perspective....So, hopefully soon !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
-In time this should get smoother. Sometimes a delicate preload before switching gears help.
Quote:
This is pretty iffy subject. And everybody will give you a number based on their personal preference. Correct me if i am wrong, but the ideal pressure mentioned on the tyres are basis pillion in mind. If riding alone i'd keep it a little lower. Recommended pressure on my bike is 32 in the front and 42 at the rear. I hover at 30 and 40. Helps with the ride comfort too. In your case you'd have to probably tweak and find the right spot.
Thanks. Need to read the manual. I didn't even open that book yet (except for once when I took a pic of it...LOL!)

Quote:
I don't know about the suspension sound. But urge you to use your front more than the rear. Will help in controlling the bike better. Is there a way to stiffen the front suspension up?
Agree. Front brakes is what even i'm comfortable with. Reckon, I need to get used to Versys 650 brakes. I'm not saying it does not have good stopping power. It surely does but, braking feel is very important for me and finding it hard to adjust to it, that's all

Quote:
The first start is where the engine goes through the most amount of wear and tear. Let it idle for 7-8 minutes till she gets warm and then ride on. Gradually progress through the RPMs
Good Idea. But, 7-8 minutes I think is on higher side. I think 2-3 mins idle is decent for engine to warm up and that needle to settle down post an erratic trip towards redline
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 16:19   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Nasir kaka, could you please tell me how the versys suspension does as far as comfort goes when compared to the 390? Is it night and day? What level of degree better is the versys?
Yes, its like night and day. 390s stiff suspension coupled with relatively hard seat means even the smallest undulations on the road is felt by the body. Versys with the stock suspension setting (which is set on the softer side) just glides over broken patches soaking up all the shocks. Feeling is similar to lets say driving an i20.

Quote:
Why would you choose to ride the 390 over the versys now that you have both in your garage?
Difficult question. I have already been majorly neglecting it since i got the versys. Not sure if its a "new Toy" syndrome, but for my daily commute to office comprising of 50kms round trip (given the decent road and traffic condition) makes more sense on the versys. I would be taking the 390 if i was riding within the bangalore city limits, which is infamous for its nasty traffic.

Quote:
I know you did mention this but, I'm still not able to understand what is sloping forward you mean? I didn't feel anything of that sort and feel the rider seat is like "Raj Gadda (King's Seat)" with that slope backwards that acts as back-rest. I find the seat highly comfortable
The seat is no doubt like Raj gadda (soft and cushioney), but i find it slightly inclined forward. Would differ for people of different height and built. Re-sharing a pic which i had shared a few pages back, hope it would explain the sloping forward oem seat.

When riding for a while, i feel the part of my body which is in contact with seat is being pulled backwards, creating a slight feeling of discomfort. Slowly it tends to push me towards the front.

Quote:
Good Idea. But, 7-8 minutes I think is on higher side. I think 2-3 mins idle is decent for engine to warm up and that needle to settle down post an erratic trip towards redline
Usually under 2 minutes, the needle settles down to about a shade under 1k RPM. I felt 1K was kind of low, so the day before i set the idling to about 1.2K using the provided idling screw. Bike somehow feels better post that.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 16:37   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its like night and day. 390s stiff suspension coupled with relatively hard seat means even the smallest undulations on the road is felt by the body. Versys with the stock suspension setting (which is set on the softer side) just glides over broken patches soaking up all the shocks. Feeling is similar to lets say driving an i20.
Follow on but sensitive question. Do u think that was worth the 4 times over premium charged for the versys over the 390? I know there are things like the ftc and bigger tank, but let's take the suspension as the biggest consideration.

I have about 2 months more to make a decision, so I am really chewing on this.
Old 8th March 2016, 16:56   #605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The seat is no doubt like Raj gadda (soft and cushioney), but i find it slightly inclined forward. Would differ for people of different height and built. Re-sharing a pic which i had shared a few pages back, hope it would explain the sloping forward oem seat.When riding for a while, i feel the part of my body which is in contact with seat is being pulled backwards, creating a slight feeling of discomfort. Slowly it tends to push me towards the front
OK! I got your point now. You mean the front portion of the rider seat slants upwards and that is causing you some discomfort. Well, I didn't notice it so intensely as I felt the riding seat is really comfy and icing on cake was the back-rest. I feel now can much some serious miles comfortably on that saddle

Btw, will that front portion not go underneath the tank belly?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 18:05   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Follow on but sensitive question. Do u think that was worth the 4 times over premium charged for the versys over the 390? I know there are things like the ftc and bigger tank, but let's take the suspension as the biggest consideration.
Duke 390 (me thinks) offers the most value for every penny spent at present and would be really difficult to beat in coming days. USD forks, Switchable ABS, Forged piston, coated cylinder, Metzelers, trellis, and a console with the kind of information which will put even some 10L bikes to shame. (for versys we have to buy gear indicator separately, for bonnie, one got to buy the tacho separately, and so on) Its a solid proposition at a very good price point which can do city, highway and shine in twisties. I did Bangalore to munnar and back a while back and was very impressed with the 390. next few trips i choose 390 over the C5 which i had modified and kept for touring and came a point where i sold the C5 as it was catching rust lying unused.

We all know what 390 is capable of, personally i had a few grievances (such as the stiff suspension, rear set foot pegs, vibey and rough by nature engine, small tank range, light weight, etc) and wanted something which was purpose built for touring in Indian condition, and the quest led to the Versys 650. This one is very different from 390 and does check points which i was looking for that is comfortable suspension (adjustability is a bonus), good GC, smooth, tried and tested engine which is decent on power/torque, large tank, abs, and host of available accessories for luggage, safely, etc.
Talking purely in terms of Suspension, 4 times cost over 390 may not make sense, but as a package it does provided it suits ones expectation.

Versys 650 is not perfect (dont think any bike is), but its quite close to my requirements. with a few minor mods, it should get even closer.
Quote:
OK! I got your point now. You mean the front portion of the rider seat slants upwards and that is causing you some discomfort.
No!NO!! What I meant was the majority part of the rider seat is slighting slants downwards, before the front most part slants upwards. Its not a big bother, but a bother nevertheless.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 18:11   #607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What kind of riding are you looking at?

Cross country or village / broken roads the comfort offered will definitely help. Worth it, well it depends on ones perspective, unless say a himalayan comes, there is no competition on suspension (long travel/touring) front right now at this price level.

Urban commute, or occasional highway runs.... 4 times the price, no way worth it.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 19:10   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What kind of riding are you looking at?

Cross country or village / broken roads the comfort offered will definitely help. Worth it, well it depends on ones perspective, unless say a himalayan comes, there is no competition on suspension (long travel/touring) front right now at this price level.

Urban commute, or occasional highway runs.... 4 times the price, no way worth it.
Nasir kaka, thank you for your unbiased views. Much appreciated!

Jakku, I am looking at total cross country touring. Will tour most of the himalayas starting next year (no time this year). This year I will restrain myself to the mountains of Tamil Nadu, kerala, and karnataka over long weekends and get to know my bike better. I also need time to put aside good cold weather textile riding gear. I am looking at clocking about 30k kilometers annually and they will mostly be in the mountains. Bike will be the primary touring companion this time. Not getting a car. Or jeep. Lol.

For the next few years of city life, I figured I will go with one tourer and get a nice moto scooter like the Aprilia for the city so I can skip the full body atagatt rule to work. Will Uber or ola for meetings.

I do have the money for something like the versys, but I want this to be a well thought out decision. Plus I don't want to get stuck with something that depreciates like crazy in 2 years from now, as I seem to have this loony habit of selling everything and disappearing for a year or so with my backpack.

With the 390, I save quite a bit for good gear and a lot of gas and can probably upgrade with the second iteration of the proposed 500 twin (skipping the 1st year shenanigans). Maybe hold out for the mirage adventure from ktm? Or even get a used versys if the 500 twin doesn't make it? These are options in the air which I can't be flexible about if I get the versys.

With the versys, I am also quite disappointed with the level of kit you get with the for 8 big ones so I echo Nasir kakas sentiments. I am also worried if I will be able to handle the 200+ kg weight of the versys. I am just 70kgs, and slightly built. About 5,8 in height.

With the Duke, I am worried about getting spondylitis or some such with the Dukes suspension with the kind of miles I plan to clock. Am I over reacting?

And lastly, I am buying in the 1st week of may. So please bear with me until then 😂

I know this should be a which bike thread, so please feel free to move this out of here.
Old 8th March 2016, 21:02   #609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Jakku, I am looking at total cross country touring.
Vaanky you have all the time, for now pick a 390 and be happy. You can get a well depreciated mint Versys / Tiger when you are ready for up north Yes they do fall like flies when it comes to depreciation, so a second hand buy is the best for non junta bikes.

Yes height and weight doesn't favour versys and Xr/ Xrx would be a better option for your build. Rajesh recently picked on and is very happy with it.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 21:27   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Vaanky you have all the time, for now pick a 390 and be happy. You can get a well depreciated mint Versys / Tiger when you are ready for up north Yes they do fall like flies when it comes to depreciation, so a second hand buy is the best for non junta bikes.

Yes height and weight doesn't favour versys and Xr/ Xrx would be a better option for your build. Rajesh recently picked on and is very happy with it.
Great news! Thanks bhaiyajee. I will get the Duke and bide my time for a good used deal then. Hmmm... A used tiger is certainly a mouth watering proposition! I think I am just a tad taller than rajesh. Will tie in with you and rajesh for help soon.

Will patch up with you guys when am back for some riding.

Last edited by Red Liner : 8th March 2016 at 21:30.
Old 8th March 2016, 21:50   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great news! Thanks bhaiyajee. I will get the Duke and bide my time for a good used deal then
If you are anyway planning to upgrade get those used Dukes that are sold for steal if you wait and grab them. And replacing the entire bike will still leave you with over 50% of the budget required for the big 800's

I will surely pick the RC390 to just give it a shot. My hands want the Daytona 675 or the Benelli 899. But at that price point i feel thats 6 KTM's to thrash I am 6'1 and i can say Verseys are perfect and infact has better riding position. I am absolutely sure i will enjoy riding the verseys and this after sitting on the bike. In fact i felt the z800 unbalanced with weight distribution all over the place while Versys felt fare more stable and controlled and balanced across the frame.

Last edited by VW2010 : 8th March 2016 at 21:51.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 21:56   #612
BANNED

Nice coincidence. I mentioned today that the Versys and such bikes could be reasonably priced by being manufactured here and what do I read on team-bhp?
The 'Busa is being assembled here for 13 L. This should set the cat among the pigeons and get the prices of the big bikes down.

Last edited by fiestarry : 8th March 2016 at 22:02. Reason: Correcting the info
fiestarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 22:45   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If you are anyway planning to upgrade get those used Dukes that are sold for steal if you wait and grab them. And replacing the entire bike will still leave you with over 50% of the budget required for the big 800's
One reason: I just don't have the bloody patience to wait anymore! I need the bike from within 48 hours of landing at the airport and it will be tour prepped, and my gear bought within the week and my first 1000 gets done within the first two weekends (250 the first weekend, then an oil change).

Without wheels for a year and a half - Yes my hormones are biting me! I was on the verge of hiring a duke from Calcutta to head out on a North sikkim motorbike ride in December last year. That didn't work (no duke in cal, too long a ride from Delhi, Indimotard won't ship to me) and I cooled my heels where I was (hindsight the best decision).

Cut to now, and I almost hired a duke from Delhi to tour the himalayas the past week, but not owning any of my own gear including a lid got me to cork up. So I just wrapped a bit of trekking around the tungnath area.

Is so bad, I am beginning to turn my head around to notice even pulsars wheezing around here in the mountains. Not good...

The upgrade, since it's a used one in all likelihood, unless ktm score a win with the twin, will need to be done carefully with the head. Not possible in my current state. I need to get some miles and smiles down.

To keep my ramble on topic, I wonder if the bike rental agencies have procured the versys to their fleet. Would be happy to rent one for the week end and test it out when the time comes. Very stupid of kawi not to give test rides out. That's one area I appreciate triumph. Will hire a tiger when I am back and get a feel, that's for sure.
Old 8th March 2016, 23:06   #614
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

On the topic of idling - I normally wait for 3-4 mins for the idling to settle down. On start the engine hovers around the 1.5-2k RPM. It settles down once the engine temperature crosses 50 degrees.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 07:28   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
On the topic of idling - I normally wait for 3-4 mins for the idling to settle down. On start the engine hovers around the 1.5-2k RPM. It settles down once the engine temperature crosses 50 degrees.
It takes around 5 to 6 seconds for engine oil to circulate in FI motorcycles. So even a minute is fine i guess.
With the SP3 i will not ride till i have 3 bars on the gauge. So basically however long it takes to get there. Plus i have changed to a thicker oil, so i factor for that too.
Odeen12 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote