Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2016, 14:12   #766
sps
BHPian
 
sps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 204
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

I am also planning to book one. I am in love with other colors on offer especially white. Has any one got any information on launch of other colors?

In kerala, kochi dealer is offering test rides. Wait period is now 7 days.

Has any versys owners got the kawasaki genuine side panniers ?

Last edited by sps : 31st July 2016 at 14:12. Reason: Grammar correction
sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 10:48   #767
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,011
Thanked: 6,046 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
I am also planning to book one. I am in love with other colors on offer especially white. Has any one got any information on launch of other colors?

In kerala, kochi dealer is offering test rides. Wait period is now 7 days.

Has any versys owners got the kawasaki genuine side panniers ?
There is only 1 Versys 650 owner from Chennai who has installed the original Panniers from Kawasaki. He is a Team-BHP member, If he sees this post request him to share details/pictures for your benefit

I loved the Orange/Yellow color in Versys but, Kawasaki India seems to have given us "take it or leave it" option in black

Well, this color will grow on you and will give many options to customize with different colors

Worst case scenario, 15K will get you a nice wrap done for entire bike from wrapcraft in Bangalore


Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post
Sure can you please share their numbers or alias on this forum so that I can PM them. Thanks in advance.

I have been visiting this thread since the launch. Now finally I'm seriously planning to buy it around September last week. Lets see how that goes.

Also I have been visiting your thread as well. Its been immensely helpful in making up my mind. Thanks for all your observations, comparisons and unbiased informative posts.
Keep them coming.
SamyD, you cannot use the PM feature till you are a BHPian. Please share your contact details and I will send you their numbers so you can discuss with them

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd August 2016 at 15:26. Reason: Excluded email from post
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 14:05   #768
Newbie
 
jmjmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kothamangalam
Posts: 16
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Good day fellow Versys Owners, Sorry I am late to the party.

Allow me to introduce myself.
I taught myself to ride on turning 18 on a second hand Suzuki Max 100R, then rode a Suzuki Shaolin for a while in collage. My first new bike was a 2007 Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi on which I started touring, completed a Saddlesore 1600 and did a track day which led to the intake and exhaust valves bending into wonderful shapes and resulted in a complete cylinder head replacement.

On March 7 2016 I took delivery of my Versys 650 from Coimbatore TN, having had followed every thread regarding the motorcycle made on Tbhp.

To date I have put 5000 km on the clocks, over the course of
- A couple of rides between Coimbatore and Kothamangalam KL,
- An effortless trip to Chennai from Kothamangalam and back after a couple of weeks of daily commuting in Chennai.
- A track day at the Kari Speedway
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-up-4.jpg
- More than a few day trips through the twisties around Munnar KL and some mild off-roading, Munnar kind of being my backyard.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-up-1.jpgKawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-up-2.jpgKawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-up-3.jpg

Some of the Additions i have made to the bike to date include
- A Scotoiller V-System
- SW-Motech Centerstand and Bashplate
- A Dimotive Crashguard
- Barkbuster VPS Handguards
- Puig Rear Huggger and front Fender extender

I recently flushed out the cooling system and replaced the stock green coolant with the pale yellow colored Motul Motocool Expert coolant. I did this after noticing a mild buildup of brown sediments in the Coolant reservoir.

Anybody noticed anything similar? Unfortunately the flush was completed just a couple of hours before I got my application to join Tbhp approved and I didn't think to take pictures.
jmjmec is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:10   #769
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,011
Thanked: 6,046 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
On March 7 2016 I took delivery of my Versys 650 from Coimbatore TN, having had followed every thread regarding the motorcycle made on Tbhp.

To date I have put 5000 km on the clocks, over the course of
- A couple of rides between Coimbatore and Kothamangalam KL,
- An effortless trip to Chennai from Kothamangalam and back after a couple of weeks of daily commuting in Chennai.
- A track day at the Kari Speedway
]
- More than a few day trips through the twisties around Munnar KL and some mild off-roading, Munnar kind of being my backyard.
Congratulations and welcome to the forum

I bought mine a week before you bought and our mileage seems to be in same vicinity

Nice to know you are exploring the motorcycle to full extent. I'm most interested to know your feedback of the Versys on the Kari Speedway. Can you share a small write-up of how the Versys behaved? I know it's not a track bike but, would be interesting to know it's capabilities as well as it's limitations on a track

I enjoyed a track day at Kari Speedway a couple of years ago but, that was in an Audi Q3 and that track is pretty technical with just little over 2kms and is a very tight track with plenty of turns with just a single straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
Some of the Additions i have made to the bike to date include
- A Scotoiller V-System
- SW-Motech Centerstand and Bashplate
- A Dimotive Crashguard
- Barkbuster VPS Handguards
- Puig Rear Huggger and front Fender extender
Can you please share a close-up picture of the Barkbuster VPS? I order the same and keeping fingers crossed it fits after the Puig screen

Also, how does the scottoiler V-system works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
I recently flushed out the cooling system and replaced the stock green coolant with the pale yellow colored Motul Motocool Expert coolant. I did this after noticing a mild buildup of brown sediments in the Coolant reservoir.

Anybody noticed anything similar? Unfortunately the flush was completed just a couple of hours before I got my application to join Tbhp approved and I didn't think to take pictures.
Why did you have to flush out the green coolant system? I dont think anyone that I know had a replacement of this fluid yet

Are you on the Whatsapp group of Pan-India Versys owners?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:15   #770
Newbie
 
jmjmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kothamangalam
Posts: 16
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I'm most interested to know your feedback of the Versys on the Kari Speedway. Can you share a small write-up of how the Versys behaved? I know it's not a track bike but, would be interesting to know it's capabilities as well as it's limitations on a track
The soft and long travel suspension of the Versys ment that it was moving around a lot on the track especially when powering out of and breaking into corners (This was inspite of ramping up the preload at both ends) but it was fun never the less.
The stock Tyre's were great and at no time did i feel any lack of grip having scrubbed them in from edge to edge leaving no chicken strips.
Like youve pointed out its no track bike and is not the best tool to chase laptimes but it is an extremely fun ride on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Can you please share a close-up picture of the Barkbuster VPS? I order the same and keeping fingers crossed it fits after the Puig screen

Also, how does the scottoiler V-system works?
This is the clearance between the hand-guard and the stock screen at full lock.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-up5.jpg

The V-System is the vacuum driven system. Its been keeping the chain continually wet and more or less clean, but its a bit early to judge how it will improve chain longevity. the downside is there is a bit of oil splattering on to the under seat area and the rear fender but a small plastic ruler hot-glued to the chain guard has taken care of most of the oil splatter.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-up-6.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Why did you have to flush out the green coolant system? I dont think anyone that I know had a replacement of this fluid yet

Are you on the Whatsapp group of Pan-India Versys owners?
Like i had mentioned in my original post i had noticed a mild buildup of brown slime in the reservoir tank. the Flush and coolant change was just a precautionary measure and it took all of two hours to do, so why not.

No i am not a part of the Whatsapp group but would like to join.
jmjmec is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:40   #771
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,011
Thanked: 6,046 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
The soft and long travel suspension of the Versys ment that it was moving around a lot on the track especially when powering out of and breaking into corners (This was inspite of ramping up the preload at both ends) but it was fun never the less.
Thanks. Did you rack up the preload on both fronts to the maximum stiffer side? I know it's not a corner carver but, honestly speaking the combination of an awesome chassis, good tyres and brilliant ABS makes this motorcycle highly chukable in corners

When I used to ride the Bonnie, I used to be scared to shift my body away from the motorcycle when taking a fast corner due to lower height and heavier feel of the bike but, with Versys I lean as much far away as my large frame allows me too...And, the confidence I get is supreme in comparison. This was commented by a friend riding a Speed Tripple and we were carving up the ghats of Mahabaleshwar from ground level to the lake and I was leading up all the way. If you are aware of that route, it's an entirely curvy ghat section

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
The stock Tyre's were great and at no time did i feel any lack of grip having scrubbed them in from edge to edge leaving no chicken strips.Like youve pointed out its no track bike and is not the best tool to chase laptimes but it is an extremely fun ride on track
Stock tyres are fantastic and I have no complaints of them on regular and broken tarmac but, I haven't done much of offroading but, it is definitely not that great for offroading


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
This is the clearance between the hand-guard and the stock screen at full lock.
Thanks! I have ordered for the Black & White combination and hopefully it should fit as Puig screen is already fitted and it should be relatively easier to adjust the handlebar

What is your feedback of these handguards? Do they vibrate at high speeds? Other than saving the levers from a fall what is other thing's its useful for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
The V-System is the vacuum driven system. Its been keeping the chain continually wet and more or less clean, but its a bit early to judge how it will improve chain longevity. the downside is there is a bit of oil splattering on to the under seat area and the rear fender but a small plastic ruler hot-glued to the chain guard has taken care of most of the oil splatter.
This system is MUST for nomads but, I'm far from one.

Redliner : Where art thou?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
No i am not a part of the Whatsapp group but would like to join.
Please share your email address and I will get you onboarded
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 13:23   #772
Newbie
 
jmjmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kothamangalam
Posts: 16
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

The preload was at 6 clicks out back and 7 turns up front for the track as compared to 1 click and 2.5 turns for the road. I was slowly ramping up the preload through the sessions and 6 back and 7 front felt the best. The rebound was at 1.5 turns out from softest, the same as I use on road. I was pretty much falling into corners and by the last few sessions I was scrapping the peg feelers.

I've ridden about 4k kms since fitting the Barkbusters and havent noticed any vibrations. Before I got the crashguards fitted I dropped the Versys twice, once on each side, both at walking pace and in both cases the bike came to rest on the handguard backbones and saved the bodywork and the only damage was scruffed VPS skid plates.
http://bigbadbikes.com/product/barkb...rd-skid-plate/
The Skid plates definitely are recommended.

In addition to crash protection it does provide a bit of protection from wind and rain and changing the position of the removable spoiler does change the airflow a bit.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd August 2016 at 15:26. Reason: Excluded the email as the need is completed. Thanks!
jmjmec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:26   #773
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oslo, Bangalore
Posts: 1,776
Thanked: 396 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post


This system is MUST for nomads but, I'm far from one.

Redliner : Where art thou?
I have looked into these auto-oiler systems.

- The oil that is used to lube the chain are many different types. The oil used here as part of the system is the regular motul kind of lubricant which is very sticky and shiny. The issue is, the oil attracts sand and other fine particles like flies to sugar - and keeps them there.

- This is further amplified during dusty, dirty, rainy environments. Pretty much sums every road in India.

- So this system will keep lubing the chain, but over and over the grime buildup.

- Cleaning the chain is mandatory every 300-500k's depending on where you have ridden. This is the more difficult bit. Lubing takes a minute at the most.

This system would have been very useful if they used a lube like the tribocor or dupont teflon based stuff. They are non sticky, and have great lube retention properties on the chain.

I may be wrong in my inference on whether this scott oiler system keeps the chain clean. Would request jmjmec to give us feedback on that.

PS: chain cleanliness is a person to person thing (like a clean room or a clean desktop LOL). I am extremely particular about the chain being clean and not having even a spot of rust. I religiously clean and lube the chain and sprocket every 300-500k's. But my mate who rides a z800 parked next to me doesnt really care too much, his chain rusts a bit here and there and doesnt look too well lubed. But he also has a family and a little daughter LOL. He commutes on his z800 every day.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd August 2016 at 14:37.
Red Liner is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 16:35   #774
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,249
Thanked: 1,181 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have looked into these auto-oiler systems.
+1 to that,

In our local conditions these auto-lube kits will only spoil the chains more with the amount of dirt we have. Always better to clean them religiously once in 800 kms depending on the season and terrain it is ridden regularly.

But Ramana, 300 would be an overkill don't you think so?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:26   #775
Newbie
 
jmjmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kothamangalam
Posts: 16
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

The Oil in the Scotoiller is akin to 90W gearbox oil just a bit thinner. It's a total loss system so the oil in addition to lubing the chain also washes off a bit of the dirt buildup and just drips off so theres very little buildup of oil or dirt. the oil consumption rate is about a drop every 2 min.

Let me illustrate with an example, at the end of a 650 km trip to Chennai the chain was oily/wet and reasonably clean. Again let me emphasize "Reasonably clean" but more importantly wet an oily and that made me happy and then this was followed by about 300km of commuting in Chennai over three weeks and then 650km back home with the chain still wet without me having to do anything. This compared to the dry coal black chain i used to get at the end of a long day on my 220 when i used aerosol chain lubes

The chain still does need cleaning but the cleaning is a bit easier and chain never gets that very bad, 5 mins with some diesel a gunge brush and a couple of rags has the chains looking good as new.

The downside is that some of oil that is flung off the chain end up on the plastic trim under the seat, just one more thing to clean and the system is a bit fiddly and you have to play around with the manual oil feed-rate so that the chain stays wet without over oiling the chain and getting a lot of it flung off.
jmjmec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:31   #776
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oslo, Bangalore
Posts: 1,776
Thanked: 396 Times
Default

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
+1 to that,

In our local conditions these auto-lube kits will only spoil the chains more with the amount of dirt we have. Always better to clean them religiously once in 800 kms depending on the season and terrain it is ridden regularly.

But Ramana, 300 would be an overkill don't you think so?
Mahesh, I just went to yelgiri and back, single day. Rain and slush along the way. Chain looks caked in grease and mud. So I would clean it right after. It's situational. If I was riding the next day I would probably put in another days worth of riding and then clean.

But I am back home and have nothing better to do...an idle mind is a bike workshop.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd August 2016 at 17:34.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 18:00   #777
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,011
Thanked: 6,046 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

I too agree that cleaning and lubing every 300kms is an overkill. I would mark the 750kms as the perfect km zone for cleaning and lubing for no particular reason

Have spoken several times on this subject with Kawasaki ASC and they bluntly say cleaning and lubing at 1000kms is perfectly fine and they have offered me to do it for free and I used this offer only once as it's not possible to land up at ASC that frequently

Cleaning and Lubing is not just a big hindrance as it take a full 30 minutes to complete this job (I use Tribocor and that thing splays like anything) and ensure I do it at least 12 hours before riding

As Ramana rightly put it it's person to person on how clean you want your house. I'm also particular about cleanliness (for everything) but, I get this work done through our watchman as part of a monthly package with me overseeing the work

And, I have been maintaining a 750kms-800kms interval and I'm fine with it

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd August 2016 at 09:33. Reason: Grammar corrections
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 18:16   #778
Newbie
 
jmjmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Kothamangalam
Posts: 16
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

I'll let a picture do the talking, Please check out the picture of my chain in post #770. This is what the chain looks like now, it's been roughly 210 km and two weeks since I last cleaned it.
jmjmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 21:32   #779
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 671
Thanked: 894 Times
Default

A random pic of my friend's bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-1470153732488.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 09:31   #780
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,011
Thanked: 6,046 Times
Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
A random pic of my friend's bike.
How much has Chetan clocked now? An odometer picture of his bike would be more interesting
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumour: Kawasaki considering a 250cc Versys sadsack Motorbikes 5 23rd October 2016 12:39
The Green Assassin - My 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 narula123 Superbikes & Imports 318 19th September 2016 11:50
Kawasaki Versys 1000 launched at Rs 12.9 lakh theredliner Superbikes & Imports 3 3rd March 2016 03:33
Kawasaki Versys 650 - Coming to India? vipinmishra Superbikes & Imports 160 24th December 2015 14:23
Kawasaki to bring Versys 1000, ER-6n to India Aditya Superbikes & Imports 29 6th February 2015 10:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks