Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 4th August 2016, 22:32   #796
BHPian

Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
How good are the KQR Panniers over broken, bumpy roads? I believe your Concours 14's Panniers have a similar 3 point mounting system. Not off-roading mind you but nasty post monsoon crater infected roads?
I have also hit some unexpected potholes, humps, broken pavement etc and the boxes have stayed on the bike. It was during one such unexpected encounter that my Coocase topcase decided to go in another direction (I had explained that adventure earlier on Mobike008's thread ) There were some reported case of side cases flying off at high speed in the early Concours14 bikes when introduced in 2007 but subsequently Kawi have rectified it I gather.

Although Kawi's 3-point mounting system are fairly secure, from personal experience the aftermarket side cases from Givi, Shad and H&B are also very robust and can take a lot of beating. Any which way Givi/Shad make the boxes for Kawasaki, BMW etc. So if the price difference is big, it would be worth considering the after market unless you are specific about the Kawi cases and its design and probably the advantage of one key for ignition and the cases (not sure though if the pannier key-barrel is matched and to be ordered separately for the Versys)
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 09:01   #797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am afraid I don't recognise the falls you've visited do you remember the name or location? I'm asking because I would love go there too. Munnar has a lot of waterfalls small and big and most of them are seasonal and chances are you might miss one of the smaller ones if you visit at different time of the year.

And if you or any member Tbhp member is visiting munnar in the future look me up, if I am Ashore and free, I would love to host or join you guys.
Well, I too do not remember the name of the place as it was one of the tourist points from Munnar town.

I dont want to really hijack the Versys thread but, if you are interested please visit my Kerala trip photoblog here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-beach-4.html (Ford Aspire visits Kerala : Traverses via a wildlife sanctuary, mountains, backwaters and a beach!)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 13:05   #798
CGB
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Hi CGB can you put up a cost break down for just the KQR 28 Panniers, KQR 47 topcase and its mounting hardware?
Hey jmjmec,
He purchased evertthing with the same price as mentioned in kawasaki USA website.

Link for Accessories:
https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Vehicle/KLE650FGFL

Prices are extremely steep
CGB is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 14:43   #799
BHPian

Hello all,
MCN ran a comparison between the following bikes:
1. Yamaha Tracer 700 costing 6299
2. Suzuki V-Strom 650 costing 6999
3. BMW F-700GS costing 7815
4. Kawasaki Versys 650 costing 6849

Guess which bike took the crown?
The Kawasaki Versys is still the bike to beat in this category. They call it the most complete, affordable, mid-capacity adventure machine from this lot.

I can post some pictures from the article incase anyone is interested. I am not sure about copyright infringements though.
Visual treat for your eyes.

Regards,
Hiren

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 8th August 2016 at 14:49.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 16:21   #800
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hello all,
MCN ran a comparison between the following bikes:
1. Yamaha Tracer 700 costing 6299
2. Suzuki V-Strom 650 costing 6999
3. BMW F-700GS costing 7815
4. Kawasaki Versys 650 costing 6849

Guess which bike took the crown?
The Kawasaki Versys is still the bike to beat in this category. They call it the most complete, affordable, mid-capacity adventure machine from this lot
Thanks for sharing this information. Feel even more proud to own a motorcycle which is so popular and liked globally and from a few forums understand that more and more young folks are enjoying these adventure sport touring motorcycles over hard core racing motorcycles

Can you share the link of the shoot-out of above motorcycles? Assume the pictures are part of it? If not, please feel to share it here

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th August 2016 at 16:23.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 16:38   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks for sharing this information. Feel even more proud to own a motorcycle which is so popular and liked globally and from a few forums understand that more and more young folks are enjoying these adventure sport touring motorcycles over hard core racing motorcycles

Can you share the link of the shoot-out of above motorcycles? Assume the pictures are part of it? If not, please feel to share it here
Yes, the Versys is a lovely motorcycle which I am actively considering to buy once I get back towards the end of this year.

MCN is a motorcycle weekly newspaper. So far they haven't put up the review up on their website. I will post the pictures shortly.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 12:58   #802

On the 16th of Aug i will be going back out to sea (I am a 4th Engineer in the merchant navy).

I would like to elaborate on the steps that i have taken to get my Versys 650 ready for its three month long hibernation. Any further suggestions are most welcome.

Step 1: I got the Second service done 850km in advance of the recommended 6000km so that i could put her away with good fresh oil.

Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160809_114446785.jpg
I asked the service center to replace the air filter as well. the recommended replacement interval is 18,000Km as per the service schedule. when the old filter came out i was sure glad i'd made the call for it to be changed
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-filters.jpg
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160809_121848628.jpg
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-service-bill.jpg
The total bill came out to a reasonable Rs 4856. The service itself was good if a bit slow due to the lack of experience on the side of the service technician, mine being the first V650 he'd serviced after his V650 training

In the course of reinstalling the fuel tank after replacing the air filter the wiring loom from the ignition barrel got trapped between the tank and the frame and effectively stripped one of the wires. This came to light 20km after i had ridden off from the service center when the bike died on me in the middle of the road.

A bit of roadside investigation led to the discovery that the main fuse (30A Blade type) was blown tried the spare and it blew immediately on switching on the ignition.

Called the service center and described my plight. My suspicion was that water had gotten into one of the electrical sockets and caused a short. The technician who had serviced my bike rode in and we proceeded to more or less strip down the bike on the side of the road. It already being late in the evening we had to see what we were doing by street light and camera phone flash light. Initial troubleshooting consisted of checking the sockets for any signs of water and a lot of blown fuses. finally when we took of the tank we found the culprit, the stripped wire.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160809_190724771.jpg
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160809_190713241.jpg
Long story short and some insulation tape later, I got home about 3 hours later than i should have and got a better hands-on insight into the Versys' wiring.

Step 2: Put in 70ml of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer into the petrol tank and topped it up to the brim.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160810_095224241.jpg

Step 3: stripped off all the easily removable panels, cleaned the bike and gave the metal parts a generous coating of Scottoiler FS365 Corrosion inhibitor. and gave the tank a coat of wax.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160810_125200796_hdr.jpg
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160810_125130395_hdr.jpg
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160810_125140581_hdr.jpg

These are all the products i use to detail and protect the V. Would love to hear from other owners on how they care for there Versi especially the Matt paintwork.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160812_111245319.jpg

Step 4: The Tyres were pressed up to about 5psi above recommended.

Step 5: The battery was taken out and put on a float charger.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160812_111414744.jpg

Step 6: The bike is on her center stand with a wooden stump under the bashplate to keep both tyres off the ground and finally on goes the bike cover.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160812_110958455.jpg

And thus will she spend the next three months as I float out at sea.

Last edited by jmjmec : 12th August 2016 at 13:14. Reason: Corrected a typo
jmjmec is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 15:16   #803
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed steps jmjmec. Very useful not only for superbikes but other bikes as well. And not only when you are out of the country but even during the monsoons when many people stow away their bikes (like me ).

Would it not be a good option to hand over the keys to a trustworthy person who can start her up once or twice every week.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 16:12   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thanks for the detailed steps jmjmec. Very useful not only for superbikes but other bikes as well.

Would it not be a good option to hand over the keys to a trustworthy person who can start her up once or twice every week.
Before I got my Versys I used to do pretty much the same for my Pulsar 220Fi.

- Instead of using a fuel stabiliser which I didn't know of, I used to drain the tank.
- I hadint heard of FS365 so used to spray the metal parts liberally with WD40.

The battery was put on the same float charger, with the bike not started for up to 7 months. On coming back home the bike would run fine with some fresh fuel and a couple of jabs on the starter button.

One time I had a hurried sign on and didint get a chance to put the 220 into storage properly. So had to ask my parents to start her up for a few minutes once a fortnight. When I got back and started riding I started noticing white smoke from the exhaust. The piston rings were leaking oil. Still not quite sure if the occasional starts were not the culprit.

Correct me if I am wrong but other than charging the battery having the bike started from time to time doesn't seem to serve any purpose.
jmjmec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 21:37   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Before I got my Versys I used to do pretty much the same for my Pulsar 220Fi.

- Instead of using a fuel stabiliser which I didn't know of, I used to drain the tank.
- I hadint heard of FS365 so used to spray the metal parts liberally with WD40.

The battery was put on the same float charger, with the bike not started for up to 7 months. On coming back home the bike would run fine with some fresh fuel and a couple of jabs on the starter button.

One time I had a hurried sign on and didint get a chance to put the 220 into storage properly. So had to ask my parents to start her up for a few minutes once a fortnight. When I got back and started riding I started noticing white smoke from the exhaust. The piston rings were leaking oil. Still not quite sure if the occasional starts were not the culprit.

Correct me if I am wrong but other than charging the battery having the bike started from time to time doesn't seem to serve any purpose.
My bike in India also is in storage and sees action once in 2-3 months. I just remove the battery before my departure from India and put it on a trickle charger at home. BTW, few years back I did look for the STA-BIL fuel Stabilizer for storage use but being inflammable they wouldn't ship it from US.

Anyways, I solved that with an alternative solution which is advertised to stabilize the fuel as well as compensate for the higher 95 Octane requirement of my GS and avoid engine knocking. It has worked so far as I dont get much engine knocking with regular unleaded fuel. Its a pellet like thing that you drop into the fuel tank and it is supposed to be good for 2,50,000 kms. The product is made by http://fitchfuelcatalyst.com/automotive/

I picked it from X-Torque in Bangalore.

Quick questions:
Where did you buy your STA-BIL from?
What brand bike cover are you using for the bike?

Last edited by Haroon : 12th August 2016 at 21:42.
Haroon is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 22:10   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Quick questions:
Where did you buy your STA-BIL from?
What brand bike cover are you using for the bike?
I was hoping for you inputs to the storage post. Is there anything further that you do for your bikes when they are put into storage?

The Fitch catalyst looks interesting and is definitely something I want to try out.

I got the Sta-bil from Amazon.in

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/s/ref=is_...l&sprefix=Sta-

The bike cover is an Oxford Aquatex Size Large, it does a good job of keeping off the dust and rain but i have only ever used it under the car porch or up on the veranda for long term storage as I've done now. Oxford has more heavy duty covers called stormex and protex for outdoor storage. I ordered mine from bigbadbikes.com
jmjmec is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 22:29   #807
BHPian

Quote:
I was hoping for you inputs to the storage post. Is there anything further that you do for your bikes when they are put into storage?

The Fitch catalyst looks interesting and is definitely something I want to try out.

I got the Sta-bil from Amazon.in

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/s/ref=is_...l&sprefix=Sta-

The bike cover is an Oxford Aquatex Size Large, it does a good job of keeping off the dust and rain but i have only ever used it under the car porch or up on the veranda for long term storage as I've done now. Oxford has more heavy duty covers called stormex and protex for outdoor storage. I ordered mine from bigbadbikes.com
I didnt know Sta-bil is available in India. Thats good.
My old custom made cover is due for replacement. Perhaps will look at Oxford.

Other than the battery charging I dont do much for storage except that I place about 7-8 naphthalene ball packets (with a few holes punched into the packets) into different corners of the bike to fight off the rat menace! Although they do leave their droppings, they havent done any damage to cables or plastics so far. Fingers crossed Not aware of any other remedies for that but open to suggestions
Haroon is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2016, 11:46   #808

Came across an interesting video review of the Versys.

jmjmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 16:43   #809
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

2017 Kawasaki Versys 650 To Get Lots Of Updates

Source : Bikedekho

https://www.bikedekho.com/bike-news/...f-updates.html
Quote:
The 2017 Kawasaki Versys 650 will be heavilyinfluencedd by its elder sibling, the Versys 1000.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 21:12   #810

Default Spare part Shopping in Le havre

My ship recently called on the port of Le Havre, France.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_125333199.jpg
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_125211623.jpg
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_134302679.jpg
While my crew mates headed out to town to enjoy their time ashore at the nearest mall as a lot of seafarers on shore leave inexplicably do, i did a bit of online research and headed for a couple of motorcycle gear shops that were in easy reach of the port by taxi. The plan was to purchase a Shoei Neotec at a gear shop named "Daffy Moto". My friendly taxi driver on learning my destination suggested that i first visit "Pole De La Moto" which was walking distance from Daffy. Turned out that Pole was a motorcycle dealership with Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki all under one roof and a whole floor dedicated to riding gear. i got out of the taxi thinking JACKPOT!!!!
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_144006134.jpg
A large selection of gear but mostly leather and winter gear and not all that much that would work in our tropical climes.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_142139930.jpg
The place was littered with amazing motorcycles new and old and their amazing riders who were hanging, out meeting friends and drooling over the latest models and taking test rides on the 15+ demo bikes available from the three brands, a definite motorcycling social hotspot. I spent 4 hours at the shop, found the right size Neotec but unfortunately they didn't have the white colour that i wanted.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_143557206.jpg
Tucked away in a corner next to the spare parts counter were the versys twins with the 650 in a familiar shade. The V650 costs 6999 Euros BTW

While not something i had planned to pick up i came across and purchased the Accessory relay and Gear indicator (150 Euro) for the Versys 650 from the kawasaki parts counter.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160903_244031559.jpg
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160903_242425393.jpg
The V650's wiring harness comes with terminals to power aux lights, a 12V power socket and heated grips all that is required to energise these terminals is the accessory relay (11 Euro). Now i can add a twin usb outlet on the left side of the meters, going through the stock fusebox without having to add any additional wiring and the gear indicator will go on the right of the meters, all plug and play.

I have few dozen pictures from the day, here are a choice few.

A host of motorcycles fronted by the previous Gen Multistrada, on sale
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_143957456.jpg
Previous gen V-Max
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_145314489.jpg
R1-M, R3, R125
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_165042381.jpg
The new MT-10 ready for a testride.
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_165118358.jpg
The H2 is surprisingly low-key in the metal
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_155801118.jpg
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-img_20160902_143708463_hdr.jpg
The ZX-14R and 10R