Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 28th November 2016, 14:08   #151
BHPian

Default Re: My 1-star review of the 2016 Harley Street 750

Personally not a fan of the Streets. For me Harley means mechanically simple, air cooled and easy to maintain. I'm not saying Harley shouldn't make progress - far from it - but when it comes to this type of bike the choices are too tempting. I'm surprised that this engine - with its liquid cooling - overheats.

I'd pick an old-fashioned Sportster over this anyday - or a Triumph!
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 19:32   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Food for thought: excessive locking up of rear wheels without pulling in the clutch can lead to same failure as yours.
Locking the rear without clutch might have been the case, I do brake without clutch at times and I need to be careful then. But then I have driven more than 8k KM on the street 750 and so far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkb View Post

In 2500 kms and 5 months of ownership, the bike engine and transmission was opened up at the workshop by the same fine gents who could not diagnose the "grinding noise coming from the engine bay" that I had complained about on three previous different occasions, including just before the ride, during the pre-ride checkup (duly documented). They adjusted the drive belt on all occasions and sent me on my way. See pics below of my brand new bike torn apart at the workshop.
2500 Km is a very low figure and this is a serious case, we all do brake first and pull in the clutch later, HD does not say anything otherwise specifically as to how to brake and clutch. The grinding noise you mentioned was the culprit and this should have been caught much earlier.

Quote:
The drive shaft that wore out the pulley teeth.

HD India simply refused to respond to my emails. I wrote to the India head and worldwide CEO of HD which also went unanswered. So much for customer service.

The Two Rivers HD dealership generously offered to pay me back the full price of the bike if I upgraded to an Iron at Rs. 3 lakhs extra cost. I refused since I was done with biking and HD. I wanted all my money back. In October 2016, after a long, futile, and one-way fight in which HD India simply did not respond to my emails, Harley-Davidson won a pusillanimous victory and I gave up and sold the bike back to the dealership at a huge loss.
HD India customer service is bad, that is pretty much evident from your ordeal with them, and but the dealer sounded different and at least tried to keep you in the fold, good marks to them.
On another note, was the dealer able to deduce the root cause of the issue? The motor is torquey and my assumption is we all tend to brake a little with the rear and just before the engine knocks tend to pull in the clutch to downshift, I think pretty much everyone drives this way, is that the reason this happened, I want to know the why, because this might happen to me and pretty much every other street 750 owner and can HD India clarify on the threshold point of this clutching while rear braking thing to not wear out the pulley teeth.
amitsatpathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 19:49   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
You should probably have said that "you feel" or it's"your opinion" as a preamble to your statement.

Else someone like me could ask you to back that statement with some evidence.
It might be an unpopular opinion but there are ample horror stories about the unreliability of either brands as opposed to say, Japanese motorcycles. Harley Davidson might be a good buy in the US but definitely not worth it in India.

Check these links (not exhaustive by any means, just a couple off the top of my head): http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ycle/index.htm

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...es-cochin.html (10k for Puncture & other Harley service issues @ Cochin?)
motorhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 15:02   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Terminal Update
Defective part on left, new part on right.
Offtopic and I have nothing to add which has already not been said but wow look at that clean shaft hole! If Harley can do this unintentionally and with just 2500km of riding, just imagine if they got into the business of making lathe tools! They would be the best!

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th November 2016 at 17:45. Reason: Please dont quote an image as it changes the orientation of the post. Thanks!
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 11:29   #155
Senior - BHPian

This is new. Never thought that Harley will have such quality issues. I know it will be difficult pill to swallow but many a times it is best to move forward leaving past behind. Do not give up on biking though. Get yourself a simple comfortable reliable bike. I always feel that more gizmos a machine has more are the chances of it failing.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote