Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 5th March 2017, 12:03   #496
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!

Dark Knight went through it 12,000kms service albeit a little early at 11,600kms and as always the experience of service was flawless with KTM service team and lead mechanic (Arif Bhai)

Except for a couple of hour wait at ASC due to an unexpected visit where Arif had to make for the launch of 390 on a track everything else went very smoothly

I had a list of minor issues that I wanted them to take care, namely :-

1. Light hissing sound frrom the engine when the bike is at idle
2. Front Indicator bulb to be replaced
3. Filter to be cleaned and replaced (New not available)
4. Top case base plate couple of nuts came off, so needed to replace with new ones
5. Regular oil change. This time wanted to stick to 300V, an expensive option but somehow I found it better than the 7100 (Will reconfirm this feeling after a few hundred kms and hope its not just a placebo effect)
6. Installed a rubber gear shifter sock
7. Chain slack checked and tightened
8. Chain cleaning and lubing

All of the above was handled impeccably and I hear from other V owners that to open the air filter (it's a lot of work) you need to remove entire tank (as you can see from pictures below) and they charge an additional 1K or 1.5K labor charges. But, for me it was a flat 1K charge

#1 issue was that there is a small rubber under the throttle assembly that got cut, so Iam not sure if he altogether removed it or replaced with a new one. He showed me the rubber which was very tiny with a small cut to it. Just a small thing can make a difference to the bike...Wow!!!

Overall, a healthy and digestible bill (INR 4334) for 12K service !!!

New rubber gear shift sock
Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_6883.jpg

First time seeing the guts of the Versys...Muscular...eh..LOL!

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_6886.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_6887.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_6889.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-fullsizerender-1.jpg

This is the condition of oil after 6K kms so imagine the condition if you dont change until the manual recommended 12K kms
Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_6898.jpg

300V, race spec oil
Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_6904.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_6906.jpg

Final Bill
Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-bill.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_6905.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 15:25   #497
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!

In my excitement of sharing the 12K service details, I completely forgot to share my insurance renewal details

As usual, my good run continues as I think my insurance renewal is the cheapest renewal price paid in entire V group

I continued my insurance with United India Assurance for this year as well. Primary reason is the agent is known to me from several years and he is tied up with bank that I have taken the loan where all bank employees know us as family since most of my immediate family members bank with them and have hefty FD's with them so we get a royal treatment from this bank

He gave me an earth shattering quote of just INR 6,9 69/- (Please don't read too much into these digits).....for an IDV value of 5.40 Lakhs which is 20% less than the ex-showroom price of the V and since I do not believe in zero depreciation insurance this deal worked out pretty good for me

Some of the fellow V owners have paid anywhere from 10,500 (cheapest) to 19,800 (Most expensive) for the zero-dep insurance for their respective renewals
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 15:30   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I do not believe in zero depreciation insurance
Why not? Just curious.

I personally have no choice other than to go with zero deprecation policy since the bike was bought with a stretched out budget, and I really can't afford to pay for accident repairs out of my pocket.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 15:42   #499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why not? Just curious.
I purchased 9 brand new cars and about 6 brand new motorcycles over the last 12-14 years with my own hard earned money (2 cars bought by parents not counted)

Let that sink in for a moment. Whew!

Touch wood......I have till date not claimed insurance for any of my vehicles that I owned (car or motorcycle), at most I got into an issue was a dent here or there, scratches to bumper or a cracked windshield (Hyundai i10) and since most of these were in range of maximum 3K, I have paid from my pocket and never claimed insurance. And, I never had even a minor issue with my motorcycles so there was no expenses ever that even required a consideration for a claim...

I have been using just the regular insurance ever since the start of my vehicle purchases and I just continue this run.

In hindsight, I'm an ideal customer to insurance companies who pocket my premium without having to serve or pay me out !!

Call it good luck or my personal belief-it worked well for me

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th March 2017 at 15:43.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 12:49   #500
Team-BHP Support

When you get just about everything right for a photo. The location, time, motorcycle and a camera!
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_7555.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 20:17   #501

Hi fellow bhpians. New guy here. First of all, let me thank Mobik008 for his lovely write-up and honest review of the Versys 650, which helped me bite the bullet and go for the bike. I have been an avid follower of this thread since it was initiated. And it was the only exhaustive owner review available when I decided to purchase my bike in October last year.

Have been happy with my bike till date. Have not faced any major problems other than unrectfiable fairing vibrations, and dropped it once.:

Have completed 6000 kms till date and hopefully many more happy problem free miles to go. Would love to share my purchase and ownership experiences but don't know if I'm allowed to do so on someone else's ownership thread.

But a main reason for concern for probably many owners like me who stay far away from Pune, Bangalore or Hyderabad is servicing and repairs due to the Kawasaki- Bajaj/KTM split. My bike is due for 2nd service at 6k kms and am not sure whether KTM will do it.

And lastly would like to be added to your all India Versys owners group. So please instruct me on how to go about it.
Dr. Ankush Pati is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 23:03   #502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ankush Pati View Post
Hi fellow bhpians. New guy here. First of all, let me thank Mobik008 for his lovely write-up and honest review of the Versys 650, which helped me bite the bullet and go for the bike. I have been an avid follower of this thread since it was initiated. And it was the only exhaustive owner review available when I decided to purchase my bike in October last year.

Have been happy with my bike till date. Have not faced any major problems other than unrectfiable fairing vibrations, and dropped it once.:

Have completed 6000 kms till date and hopefully many more happy problem free miles to go. Would love to share my purchase and ownership experiences but don't know if I'm allowed to do so on someone else's ownership thread.

But a main reason for concern for probably many owners like me who stay far away from Pune, Bangalore or Hyderabad is servicing and repairs due to the Kawasaki- Bajaj/KTM split. My bike is due for 2nd service at 6k kms and am not sure whether KTM will do it.

And lastly would like to be added to your all India Versys owners group. So please instruct me on how to go about it.
Doc, Wonderful to know that my thread helped you bite the bullet and that you are enjoying the V. I'm not sure what fairing vibrations you are facing as none of us 120 V members seem to have this problem. Is it due to the fall?

Btw, thanks for digging my thread out of the 2nd page where it was languishing from last 2 weeks due to lack of updates

Please share your number here and I will add you to the V group and then delete it from the public forum after it's done since you are a new member and cannot send a private message

Btw, I see you are from Margao, wish you posted this couple of weeks earlier and we could have met as 2 Versys and Z800 rode to Goa a couple of weeks ago (picture of Vasco Port in the previous post)....Been crazily travelling over the last 2 weeks hence no updates here

Well, IKM decided to release the MY17 Versys model and some of us not going to sit and take it without any action. A fellow V owner from here and self decided to copy the same style of MY17 model (just the stickering part) and last evening we got it done

It was a neat and subtle job and now the green stickering on the rim "largely" meets the Kawasaki green which is a darn hard color to find in after-market conditions

Night pictures from last evening

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-fullsizerender-2.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-fullsizerender-3.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-fullsizerender-4.jpg

Daylight pictures from today morning

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-fullsizerender-5.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-fullsizerender-2.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-fullsizerender-3.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-fullsizerender-4.jpg

Looks pretty neat in-person and happy with the job done !!!
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 00:09   #503

I do not yet know how to use the quote feature so will reply point wise.
1. Would have been great to meet up as I have been waiting to hook up and exchange thoughts with V owners. I think hardly 1 or 2 V's here in Goa. But was in the waiting line to be added to BHP. Give me a holler next time you'll visit Goa and we will meet up.
2. Initially, from second day of purchase itself there was a noise from the speedometer plastic, which they rectified by a make do rubber piece jammed between the edge. Now there is a sound from the left side headlight around 2 to 2.5k rpm which disappears below and above that point.
3. I had that idea initially when I purchased my V, that pure black looked a bit too drab. Hence searched a lot for a green sticker of colour similar to the spring. After searching a lot, ended up with two options- A metallic green shade paper almost exactly the clour of the spring and a reflective green paper which I went forward with. Was scared to put anything on the paint so just stuck with making the Kawasaki logo green, rim stripes and a few strips here and there.
4. Thanks and here is my number.
Will share some snaps next time, because I'm unable to upload photos from my mobile gallery. Will try from laptop as I get some time.

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th March 2017 at 00:52. Reason: Removed the number
Dr. Ankush Pati is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 15:52   #504
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 13,500 kms !!

A dear friend of mine had ridden to Pench about a month ago and it was an all Tiger ride event and they did some serious off-roading too under the guidance of some tutor. During the event, due to someone suddenly braking in front of my friend's bike he stalled and fell down with his left thumb getting entangled in the clutch and bike falling down

Result of that fall was a minor fork bend and even the handle bar seemed little out of shape. Not to forget the most important thing, his thumb was fractured

He rode back to Hyderabad with handle bar at an angle and immediately gave it to Triumph folks to source a new handle bar and also fix the bent fork. They took a month and plenty of trials later most of which my friend came off disappointed after the test ride since he felt handle bar still felt wee bit bent

Yesterday, he called and requested me to test ride his bike and give a feedback if it's really solved because he felt now it seems acceptable to take it back

I rode it for ~10kms and gave my feedback that handlebar seemed straight enough and there were no indications of anything wrong with the front fork too. However, when I lean into corners (only the left corner), I felt the bike to be unusually heavy while the right cornering was fine.

He seemed happy with the feedback and intends to take the bike back. He thinks it's all in the mind (placebo effect...you see) and its just a matter of getting used to the bike again considering he is off riding for more than a month

Well, the reason for sharing this post is, yes you guessed it right; compare the Tiger 800 with Versys 650.

I rode the Tiger 800 again almost after a gap of 2 years and it just give me a new perspective about my own bike

Tiger 800

Engine felt harsh
Power actually felt inadequate and needs to be revved to get going
Felt heavy in cornering and quite cubersome
Brakes felt better than Versys
Ride seemed rumbly due to the brand new Heidenau K60 tyres which are 70:30 off-road knobby tyres

Versys 650

Compared to Tiger 800, V's engine is like silk
Undoubtedly, the V is much lighter and chuckable in corners
Power of V comes in at lower RPM's. You needn't revv the engine higher as in a Tiger 800 and power of both bikes seem at par
My front brakes don't feel as good as Tiger (Reduction in braking prowess could be partly because my rear tyre is almost gone; metal strips are slightly visible)

Tiger commands a premium of 7 lakhs over the Versys 650. Is it worth it? Absolutely not!

I guess folks in the market for a Tiger 800 just need to ride the Versys 650 to change their mind OR at least put a doubt in their mind to reconsider the value in spending the additional 6-7 big ones

P.S : I visited the Triumph showroom after couple of years and checked out the new T100, T120 and Thrux and also the Tiger XCX in Green. What finish and quality! Simply outstanding. I think the new models have really upped the quality levels and it can be clearly seen from the overall finish and especially the switch gear which looked top-notch

Also, Triumph sales folks are in a different league they invited a bunch of bullet riders and were doling out test rides of street twin and Tiger to them like we offer candies to school kids
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_8922.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th March 2017 at 15:54.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 10:27   #505
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 13,500 kms !!

Quote:

I rode it for ~10kms and gave my feedback that handlebar seemed straight enough and there were no indications of anything wrong with the front fork too. However, when I lean into corners (only the left corner), I felt the bike to be unusually heavy while the right cornering was fine.
This could be because of the cone set on the stem. Might want to get that checked and either a new set or re-greasing of the existing one.
MileCruncher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 11:30   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Tiger commands a premium of 7 lakhs over the Versys 650. Is it worth it? Absolutely not!

I guess folks in the market for a Tiger 800 just need to ride the Versys 650 to change their mind OR at least put a doubt in their mind to reconsider the value in spending the additional 6-7 big ones
Thanks Avi for clearing this up. I have absolutely minimal experience in the two bikes. I rented the Tiger XR (2 Days ~600kms) and Versys (3 days 700kms) rode them across terrains. I am 5'10, I could easily flat foot the Versys, but couldn't do it quite so easily with the Tiger.

Versys was a joy and confidence inspiring whereas Tiger was the opposite. I can't help shake the feeling that Versys felt so much more superior (in terms of handling, power delivery, manageability).

Maybe it's lack of experience, maybe confirmation bias or maybe it was too short a time to form opinions. But then, how else can one form opinions.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th March 2017 at 12:04. Reason: Breaking up para in more readable format :)
Surajit333 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 12:15   #507
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This could be because of the cone set on the stem. Might want to get that checked and either a new set or re-greasing of the existing one.
Thanks Ani for this feedback. I'm sure the folks at Triumph must have checked it but, still will ask my pal to get it double checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Thanks Avi for clearing this up. I have absolutely minimal experience in the two bikes. I rented the Tiger XR (2 Days ~600kms) and Versys (3 days 700kms) rode them across terrains. I am 5'10, I could easily flat foot the Versys, but couldn't do it quite so easily with the Tiger.
Woah! That's wonderful to know. You have a lot better experience on both bikes since you spent so much time on them (was the time period of renting each bike close or several months apart?)

You should have come up and posted a comparison report instead of me?

But, flat footing is little surprising as Tiger seat height is shorter than V? Or, Am I confusing the stats here?

Quote:
Versys was a joy and confidence inspiring whereas Tiger was the opposite. I can't help shake the feeling that Versys felt so much more superior (in terms of handling, power delivery, manageability).
Oh Yeah! Versys handling is in a different league compared to Tiger 800 and this is something I knew from the beginning but, I was disappointed to note the Tiger's power delivery was also on par or maybe lesser than the Versys 650 (Difference being Tiger needed lot of revving to come into power-band and due to better torque delivery of V, power at hand comes in much faster and feels more powerful) considering on paper Tiger 800 has several more horses in comparison to V

Quote:
Maybe it's lack of experience, maybe confirmation bias or maybe it was too short a time to form opinions. But then, how else can one form opinions.
Riding each 600+ kms is no-way a short-time to form an opinion. Those many kms qualify you to actually speak out almost like an actual owner of those bikes

Would love to hear a bit more detail about your opinions on both bikes. What went wrong and what went right with both bikes? Pictures would make things even more interesting...haha!

Well, I personally need just 10kms-20kms to form an opinion on any vehicle (and, that too a strong opinion) be it a car or motorcycle. And, thanks to god none of my opinions are too out of the line till date

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th March 2017 at 12:18.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 12:19   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What really scores for the Versys is the price factor. Tiger is almost twice as expensive which makes the Versys 650 a big winner here. Unless of course, we are talking of the Tiger XC range, which has a different capability set as compared to the Versys.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 12:41   #509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Felt heavy in cornering and quite cubersome
======
70:30 off-road knobby tyres
I am quiet surprised to hear heavy comment especially with V being about 15-20 kg heavier? The front cone as pointed above and the tyres would have made the difference. Mind you the tyres make a big difference in the chuckability of the vehicle and is well established on all the reviews.

Low end power i can understand, but once you rev there is no comparison in the way a Tiger would fly off in the hands of the right rider ofcourse (69 Vs 90? bhp) Yes the 5-6 lakhs price difference may be too much for people on a budget, but if you manage one in pre-owned nothing like it for VFM.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 14:44   #510
BHPian

Quote:

But, flat footing is little surprising as Tiger seat height is shorter than V? Or, Am I confusing the stats here?
The seat height/stats is a little confusing (atleast for me), google says ~840mm for Tiger XR, 845 mm for Versys (please correct me if I am wrong).

Tiger

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_4961.jpg

I was able to flat foot both, but Tiger did feel taller (maybe because it's broader as it's a tripe and more top heavy). Here's a pic, I am not usually so colourful

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-img_4954.jpg

Versys felt narrower and shorter. Here's a pic (couldn't get a better one)

Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-versys-flat-foot.png

[ATTACH]1624191[/ATTACH

There is a distinct heaviness with the tiger, while stopping, while moving at lower speeds,

Tiger XR was unsettling in gravel roads (I basically had my heart in my mouth). I am an average rider like most. Maybe someday with training I will be able to ride better (although why would anyone want to take a top heavy motorcycle like that offroad beats me now).

People who have ridden the 36 hairpin bends of Ooty on a motorcycle can very well recall the steep angle (one can't really figure out in a car). I aced them on the Rx135 and more recently on my D390. With the XR I felt what Stuart Broad might have felt bowling to Yuvraj in that fateful evening.

Versys

In comparison the Versys feels surprisingly light. You were spot on with the acceleration/power band bit. However, I would like to add that the Versys is much more fun to ride aggressively than the tiger. I guess it boils down to the handling.

I also got some broken tarmac and gravel with the Versys, the bike was always manageable. Having said that I would prefer being on road with the versys.

From a renting perspective, given a choice between the two I would pick the Versys everytime even if there is a discount on the Tiger.

[/quote]
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 18,000 kms !!!-versys-2.jpg  

Surajit333 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote