Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 25th September 2016, 09:15   #16
BHPian

Default re: Cure for insomnia: My story of meets, helmets & affordable big bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
^^ air cooled 883cc? Won't it get unbearably hot?
Well the idea is to use the bike only for highway runs, where hopefully the air circulation would be sufficient to cool the engine.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 19:08   #17
BHPian

Default re: Cure for insomnia: My story of meets, helmets & affordable big bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Hi Doc, lovely write-up !!

Just thought of sharing my 2 cents to this wonderful thread. The Z800 is definitely the best you can get in your budget..Other good contenders would be Yamaha MT09 and Ducati Monster 821 but I understand either of them are above your budget plus Ducati has not set foot in Coimbatore and it is unlikely ..However, one motorcycle I would recommend you (from my limited riding experience with the big bikes) is the Street Triple..So if you can wait, then do wait for the new Street Triple. The dealership in Coimbatore will happen soon I am sure..If you can't wait, then pick up the Z800. No contest !
Hi M, thank you so much for the recommendation. Yes, the street triple would definitely be worth the wait I guess. And by the looks of it, I think I will end up unintentionally waiting for the striple. Hopefully Cbe gets a proper triumph showroom in the meantime. Will definitely keep everyone updated on how this swings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Hey Doc, I am going to go against the tide and ask you to TD the Iron 883 for a longer time.Plus the 883 in this wicked shade of olive gold looks rad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm295 View Post
Hey Doc, you have very nicely penned down your experience of the test drive taken by you & eliteji...but agree with Batterylow in this regard. You just looked killer on that 833.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Well the idea is to use the bike only for highway runs, where hopefully the air circulation would be sufficient to cool the engine.
Batterylow and vdm295, Thank you, my dear brothers, for suggesting me the Harley and giving my wife's side of the choice some leverage. Lets see first how the family reacts to the prices. especially my dad. He is a self made man, and; never the one to indulge himself in fantasies and dreams. So, my main obstacle is going to be to get him to say yes. Please bear in mind, that he commented that my 74K pulsar 200 was just a "mindless waste of money for two wheels which is meant for transport alone". So, fingers crossed for the approval.

Also, on the mention of highway runs, Batterylow, have you seen how congested the pollachi-cbe road is now? Worse than the city roads of Cbe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Thanks doc. Honestly I have never used a neck brace or seen anyone using it so have no idea of how useful or comfortable (very important) it is..I feel any riding gear has to be comfortable along with being certified on safety..Gear needs to be invisible to your mind while you are on the bike
Thanks Narula, such precise description about the safety gear, now I begin to wonder if the ZX-10R's razor sharp precision is rubbing off on you too! yeah, Even I wanted to get some first hand ownership reports on the comfort of the neck brace, but I am able to hardly find any users. Makes me have second thoughts about it. If you do come across any users / reviewers, please do let me know, I would love to get their feedback on it.
Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 21:55   #18
BHPian

Thank you Nikhil for the very amusing write-up of the test rides.
I really enjoyed your review and description of your experiences on the bikes. You do have a flair for writing.
I am a HD Iron 883 owner, and I must add, Harleys do have a certain class. The only hitch is that the 'mandatory' accessories are over-priced. Having said that, it always brings a grin on my face on open roads and a groan in my belly in heavy city traffic or bad roads. Mixed bag really!.
Keep writing.

Cheerio!, from a fellow Doc.
alphadog is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 06:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Thank you Nikhil for the very amusing write-up of the test rides.
I really enjoyed your review and description of your experiences on the bikes. You do have a flair for writing.
I am a HD Iron 883 owner, and I must add, Harleys do have a certain class. The only hitch is that the 'mandatory' accessories are over-priced. Having said that, it always brings a grin on my face on open roads and a groan in my belly in heavy city traffic or bad roads. Mixed bag really!.
Keep writing.

Cheerio!, from a fellow Doc.
Thank you for your kind words doc! Good to see a Harley owner reading this thread and enjoying it. Here is me wishing you many, many miles of happy riding and also the strongest of hearts with deepest of pockets when you have to accessorize. that's a lovely motorcycle!

Cheers.
Doc_nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 15:01   #20

A very neat and detailed TD reviews Doc. The write up will surely inflate the motorcycle interest in any reader I should say.

You look stunning on the 883.

Good luck for your new bike and hope to see an ownership review soon.

Cheers,
Aslamjaffer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 16:56   #21
BHPian

Default Re: Cure for insomnia: My story of meets, helmets & affordable big bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslamjaffer View Post
A very neat and detailed TD reviews Doc.You look stunning on the 883.Good luck for your new bike and hope to see an ownership review soon.
Cheers,
Thanks Aslam Ji, yeah, the 883 does suit my size. Let's see if I can get the ownership review of some bike up within this year.
Old 27th September 2016, 17:18   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Cure for insomnia: My story of meets, helmets & affordable big bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Also, a general question, how helpful is the neck brace? I was looking at the Leatt street neck brace, and I feel maybe it is useful too. I have been following your thread and noticed that you seem to have some experience on and off track. Maybe you can shed some light on how helpful it can be.
Excellent and well written doc.

Neck brace would be a tad over for city riding(or even highways). They are very useful for motocross or adventure riding in the trails etc.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 23:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Excellent and well written doc.

Neck brace would be a tad over for city riding(or even highways). They are very useful for motocross or adventure riding in the trails etc.
Thank you kraft.wagen. So I shall be giving the neck brace a miss as of now, let me fix a bike and book it first, I'm getting too ahead of myself!
Old 28th September 2016, 15:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Doc, an amazing write-up. Now waiting for your final selection so that we can get to read an entertaining ownership experience also
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 17:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
[FONT=&quot]And I was stuck up in Pondicherry with a royal pain in the wrong place in form of my finals. (Full marks for people who thought the pain was in the neck; the not so innocent guesses, come on guys, this is a family show)[/FONT]
Quote:
Asta somehow manages to find a timid girl behind the reception desk.

She must have been not taller than the desk itself and the sight of two 6ft guys walking in thru the doors must have shrunk her a bit more

Wonderful write up and funny too . You know what? I was reading your post when I was in office and bursted in laughter after reading couple of posts like above...lately realised that my colleagues were looking at me strangely.

I can relate your test ride experience and selection process with mine. I somehow managed to convince my wife & parents, although they agreed but half-hearted. I am going to book Z800 mostly the coming month.

Even i felt the need to upshift gears (both in 600i & Z800) though I am in 6th gear, may be because the gear ratios are tuned to match the street fighter requirements. Not sure how it feels on long rides? Only owners like v12, Celestial, Killjoy, Djay99 and others should comment.

Regarding the vibrations in 650F, its really strange to know, being a honda its supposed to be really smooth atleast from what I've read about it on net. And exhaust note on z800 & 650F can always be enhanced with after market exhausts like Akra (without baffle), Arrow Race-tech, SC Project GP Evo. Atleast I cant live with the stock exhaust note of either of these bikes.

You may want to check youtube videos with these pipes fitted on above two.

idpsharma is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 20:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Doc, an amazing write-up. Now waiting for your final selection so that we can get to read an entertaining ownership experience also
Thanks mallumowgli! Yeah, i think I have mentally made up my mind to go for the Z800 and if the family objects, I'd have to change my strategy and go for the benelli 600i. Yet to discuss with family. i remain hopeful that the Z800 comes home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
Wonderful write up and funny too . You know what? I was reading your post when I was in office and bursted in laughter after reading couple of posts like above...lately realised that my colleagues were looking at me strangely. I can relate your test ride experience and selection process with mine. I somehow managed to convince my wife & parents, although they agreed but half-hearted. I am going to book Z800 mostly the coming month. Even i felt the need to upshift gears (both in 600i & Z800) though I am in 6th gear, may be because the gear ratios are tuned to match the street fighter requirements. Not sure how it feels on long rides? Only owners like v12, Celestial, Killjoy, Djay99 and others should comment. Regarding the vibrations in 650F, its really strange to know, being a honda its supposed to be really smooth atleast from what I've read about it on net. And exhaust note on z800 & 650F can always be enhanced with after market exhausts like Akra (without baffle), Arrow Race-tech, SC Project GP Evo. Atleast I cant live with the stock exhaust note of either of these bikes.
Yeah, Thank you so much for the compliments, idpsharma. If you guys encourage me like this, be warned, Cure for insomnia: Part II and many more may follow. The humour part of my brain did have a good time while penning this article, which hasn't happened in a long while. And, Let me congratulate you on your choice of Z800. That is a superb bike, even with all the shortcomings accounted for. Lucky you, do post a detailed ownership report of the green machine. Even some of the other owners mentioned above have noted this short gearing, but I guess when you ride this motorcycle all is forgotten and it can be really enjoyed!

Yeah, the Honda 650CBR vibrations really put me off and I was under the same impression as you were, till test rode it. I think it was only in that particular motorcycle; given the status Honda enjoys for smoothness its known very well for, its unlikely that such a thoroughly R&D-ed bike will have it. The exhaust note on the Z800 I'm happy with, but the Honda definitely will need a proper full system exhaust to unleash the inline4 music. which adds another 60 - 80K to the already expensive price tag. and the warranty will definitely be void the moment the Akras/Arrows/Yoshimura/SC projects are bolted on. Not really worth the trouble, IMO.

Here is me wishing you many happy miles on your Z800 when you get it. and again, do not forget the ownership report.
Doc_nikhil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, Thank you so much for the compliments, idpsharma. If you guys encourage me like this, be warned, Cure for insomnia: Part II and many more may follow.
No problem at all, please keep them coming.

Quote:
and the warranty will definitely be void the moment the Akras/Arrows/Yoshimura/SC projects are bolted on. Not really worth the trouble, IMO.
Yeah, warranty would be void in India if we go for aftermarket exhausts. But you know what, (IMO) Its worth taking the risk to enjoy the inline4 music with pipes fitted (only the slipons), the thrill just quadruples. And moreover we need not really worry about mechanical issues on these Japanese bikes for which we might have to claim parts under warranty, don't think that such situations would ever arise if we maintain well (unless our luck is too bad).

Quote:
Here is me wishing you many happy miles on your Z800 when you get it. and again, do not forget the ownership report.
Thank you so much. Sure, will come up with my ownership report once i have my hands on it.
idpsharma is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 08:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
But you know what, (IMO) Its worth taking the risk to enjoy the inline4 music with pipes fitted (only the slipons), the thrill just quadruples. And moreover we need not really worry about mechanical issues on these Japanese bikes for which we might have to claim parts under warranty, don't think that such situations would ever arise if we maintain well (unless our luck is too bad). Thank you so much. Sure, will come up with my ownership report once i have my hands on it.
I totally agree on unleashing the inline4 music part. But the luck plays a big role and if, god forbid, have to claim a warranty for some issue, it's gonna prove costly. But I still would go for a slipon after I've done a few thousand km on the bike for sure.
Old 10th October 2016, 17:47   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Food for thought ..

pratap.pratu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 21:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Very detailed and nice TD write up doc. You have some amazing writing skills and not sure how I missed your thread.

I guess you might end up bringing home a Z800 as you look inclined towards Zee.
I had taken my Z800 on almost all type of roads and was always amazed at its versatility. Had done Blr-Hyd round trip and had thoroughly enjoyed ride.

Its ok for city ride except high cog and weight. Its a blast to ride on highways.
I still remember my ride from Hyd to Blr. Started Hyderabad (to Bangalore) at 5PM and stopped at Kurnool due to visibility blocked by fly/insects. Started towards Bangalore next day at 6AM and had crossed airport at 9AM (cool weather, less traffic + fantastic road).

It is fairly efficient - I got over 25KMPL few times when ridden sedately and ~19KMPL on Hyd-Blr round trip.

Don't worry about warranty after installing slipon as these bikes run fine if you buy a branded slipon. You may remove it while getting bike serviced and I am sure that technicians do not have skills to identify slipon installation in case of a warranty claim.

Slipon completely changed feel/character of bike and it is worth getting a slipon.

I might end up buying a Z900 upon my return as I am now inclined towards lighter motorcycles or get an all new N650 for its touring ability+ fantastic looks + low price + more mileage

Last edited by djay99 : 10th October 2016 at 21:38.
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote