Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 12th October 2016, 13:40   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Cure for insomnia: My story of meets, helmets & affordable big bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratap.pratu View Post
Food for thought ..
Thanks pratap... yeah, even I was toying with the idea Of going to Bangalore to rent the bikes for a few hours and try them out. But as it is, already my house members look at me Like I've gone crazy to consider buying a million rupee two wheeler. If I tell them I'll be going out of station to test ride a few bikes so that I can make an informed decision, they will quietly change the locks to the main door when I'm away, and not let me in. That's why I decided to stick to TDs just for a day or two, within coimbatore. anyway, thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Very detailed and nice TD write up doc. You have some amazing writing skills and not sure how I missed your thread.

I guess you might end up bringing home a Z800 as you look inclined towards Zee.
I had taken my Z800 on almost all type of roads and was always amazed at its versatility. Had done Blr-Hyd round trip and had thoroughly enjoyed ride.,
djay, I think you are the first point of contact for my Z800 madness! It all gathered momentum after reading your ownership thread. Yeah, I think I would be booking the Z800. Their is a small problem. My finances aren't in place as of now and when they would be, the Z800 would have been axed. The problem being, it's going to be replaced by the Z900 and in my eyes the Z900 looks like a grown up version of the mean looking Z800. I don't want grown up. Growing up is a trap, we all know, I'm sure all the grown ups here have lost their wild streak somewhere on the way. I wanted my bike to have the wild streak atleast. Anyway, only time and test rides would tell how good or grown up the Z900 would be.

And now am looking forward for your Z900 thread. Maybe I might catch the Z900 madness from your thread again. We never know

Last edited by Doc_nikhil : 12th October 2016 at 13:56.
Doc_nikhil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 14:55   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Cure for insomnia: My story of meets, helmets & affordable big bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
And now am looking forward for your Z900 thread. Maybe I might catch the Z900 madness from your thread again. We never know
Doc, if I was you I would happily sit and incubate my piggy bank. Lot of new stuff coming our way and with EICMA happening next month the goodies will continue to flow.

If the 800 gets axed then so be it. Always better to buy newer stuff; more novelty value, better resale, no issue of worrying about phased out parts.
The plus side is also that once the newer bikes come out, lots of Z800s will come up in the used bike market. Not a bad deal to buy a nicely kept superbike, you end up saving on the colossal first depreciation hit.

Check how much is the Coimbatore-Milan ticket? Maybe you can go drop some nice drool on the babes in the exhibition (two wheeled kinds of course).
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 21:29   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So, I wanted to go for the brands which have a presence within Coimbatore with adequate service backup for routine and emergencies. Thus, ruling out triumph (sad to see the striple and bonnie out, sob, sniff) and Ducati. Yes a lot many more brands are not in Coimbatore, but these two I was really sad to see them go.
Triumph dealers do offer support to people where there are no dealerships, I know atleast 4 off such owners. And trust me with these bikes even if you have a dealer at stones throw, when things go wrong expect LONG down times, thanks to parts unavailability and tech know how. So it really doesn't matter if dealer is 300 kms away.

Do test ride the new street twin and a Tiger XR, you might just find what you are looking for.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 15:39   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Doc, if I was you I would happily sit and incubate my piggy bank. Lot of new stuff coming our way...If the 800 gets axed then so be it.....lots of Z800s will come up in the used bike market. Not a bad deal to buy a nicely kept superbike...Check how much is the Coimbatore-Milan ticket? Maybe you can go drop some nice drool on the babes in the exhibition (two wheeled kinds of course).
Hahah, Narula Bhai, there is no piggy bank to sit and incubate on, But, yeah, I get what you are trying to tell me, yes, exciting stuff ahead!

And did you just say "let the Z800 be axed"? Gasp! *my preciousss* Haha, just joking bro. The idea of a well cared-for super-bike is indeed enticing. But anyone who loves their bike so much so as to care for it like a family member, would not give up their bike so soon. I think you would be the good example, look at you, you still love your P220 too much to let it go right? I'm the same kind of person, and I wouldn't wanna get a used bike which has had any less care than that. I hope you understand what I'm drawling on about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Triumph dealers do offer support to people where there are no dealerships, I know atleast 4 off such owners. And trust me with these bikes even if you have a dealer at stones throw, when things go wrong expect LONG down times, thanks to parts unavailability and tech know how. So it really doesn't matter if dealer is 300 kms away.
Thanks for the info, Jaggu, waiting times don't worry me as much applying for a loss of pay leave to take the bike till Bangalore or Kochi. But, if there is an option of getting the technician to our doorstep for service, I will definitely look into it. Yeah, triumph test rides would happen when I go to Bangalore or chennai. Am particularly excited about the new Thruxton. Looks heart-achingly beautiful. Looks comfortable too. Don't know if it's gonna be within the budget though. So, have planned a Bonnie and a street triple test ride when my chennai/Bangalore trips happen.
Doc_nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 15:50   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Am particularly excited about the new Thruxton.
===
Looks heart-achingly beautiful. Looks comfortable too. Don't know if it's gonna be within the budget though. So, have planned a Bonnie and a street triple test ride when my chennai/Bangalore trips happen.
Don't go by the looks, Thruxton is not a comfortable bike to do longer distance due to cafe racer seating position. Also make sure what are your criteria's for a bike, since 8-9 lakhs is a large amount.

To give you an example:

Daily ride with comfortable medium touring = Street Twin
Daily ride with sporty burst or even track = Street Triple

I have been through this dilemma and realized what i thought as best option was not really the best for my needs. Was fortunate that things worked out and eventually i got what i was looking for without a big financial hit.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 21:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Don't go by the looks, Thruxton is not a comfortable bike to do longer distance due to cafe racer seating position. Also make sure what are your criteria's for a bike, since 8-9 lakhs is a large amount.

To give you an example:

Daily ride with comfortable medium touring = Street Twin
Daily ride with sporty burst or even track = Street Triple

I have been through this dilemma and realized what i thought as best option was not really the best for my needs. Was fortunate that things worked out and eventually i got what i was looking for without a big financial hit.
Yeah Jaggu, as it is I don't think it's affordable at present. And I think the bike would be more of a weekend rider, with both touring or track happening only when I get the bike and then convince my folks to let me use my only free Sundays for such indulgence. I suspect it would be limited to 200km rides at The max. As you said both the streets looks very good. Hopefully they set up shop in coimbatore soon, fingers crossed. And may I ask, what motorcycle worked out for you?
Doc_nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 22:33   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And may I ask, what motorcycle worked out for you?
I went for Street Triple after test riding bonnie, though it was a stretch on the pocket. Striple reminded me and gave the feeling of the good ol RD in someways I guess. Loved it and used it for about 2 years, but whenever I did longer rides I was not enjoying it as much. 1- The riding position inspite of me adding a bar raiser was not very easy on my shoulder and palm. The short travel front suspension not helping at all. 2- She was a rabid dog in heat and liked to be kept in the boil and even during cruising would drill a hole through my ears, thanks to the UK spec pipes I was running.

So finally went for the Tiger XRX which was a compromise on city commute ease, but in this two years I was more confident and comfortable handling the bigger bike, and this bike works very well on the longer rides. Managed a fair price on street and came across a very good deal for a used Tiger XRX. Cancelled the new booking (XRX) and picked the preowned one without any further addition to hard EMI's.

Thats my story for now.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th October 2016 at 22:35.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 13:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
The idea of a well cared-for super-bike is indeed enticing. But anyone who loves their bike so much so as to care for it like a family member, would not give up their bike so soon.I'm the same kind of person, and I wouldn't wanna get a used bike which has had any less care than that. I hope you understand what I'm drawling on about.
I hear you brother

I would never pick up a used ride until I know the owner very very well and know exactly how the bike was kept. Finding such a piece would be rare for a scenario (superbike purchase) which is even rarer for us Indians.

But thats just me & you and I know lot of folks who have picked up pre-loved bikes and are happily living with them.

Personally, nothing beats the experience of buying and nurturing a new machine

Last edited by narula123 : 25th October 2016 at 13:12.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 20:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Here is me wishing you many happy miles on your Z800 when you get it. and again, do not forget the ownership report.
Hey, you know what? Finally I made it, brought my Z800 home a few days back. I'd rather wanted to inform about my purchase by coming up with my ownership thread but not getting time to ride or pen down my experience.

And thanks again for your wishes, I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would make it so soon .
idpsharma is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote