Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 28th November 2016, 18:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Big Dog - US-based custom motorcycle firm makes Indian debut

Big Dog Motorcycles has announced its entry into the Indian market. The US-based custom motorcycle manufacturer has launched the K9 Red Chopper-111 in the country at a price of Rs. 59 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

The K9 Red Chopper-111 is a one-of-one, custom built motorcycle that is powered by a 1,807 cc, 45-degree V-twin engine. This engine is mated to a 6-speed gearbox. It is 2,743 mm long, with a wheelbase of 2,083 mm and a seat height of 622 mm. The front gets a 21-inch wheel, while the rear houses an 18-inch rim. The bike tips the scales at 304 kg.

Big Dog Motorcycles started operations in 1994 as a manufacturer of semi-custom motorcycles, in Kansas, United States. The company's unconventional designs became popular in the US. The manufacturer had recorded $2 million worth of sales by 1997. Big Dog manufactured its 20,000th bike in 2006. However, the subsequent five years saw continuously dropping sales, leading to the company shutting down operations in April 2011. Big Dog Motorcycles recently announced their re-entry into the custom motorcycle space with their 2016 line-up of bikes.

In India, Big Dog Motorcycles has been brought in through a partnership with Big Motorcycle Company (BMC), which was started in October 2015. BMC is also responsible for bringing US-based motorcycle renting firm EagleRider to India.

Big Dog - US-based custom motorcycle firm makes Indian debut-img_8217.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 28th November 2016 at 18:43.
dZired is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 09:54   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Big Dog - US-based custom motorcycle firm makes Indian debut

Sexy looking, but I hope they've booked a return ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
The US-based custom motorcycle manufacturer has launched the K9 Red Chopper-111 in the country at a price of Rs. 59 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
That's like 70 lakhs on the road. Lifestyle biking is definitely on the rise in India, but I see big bikes in the 5 - 15 lakh range gaining from this trend. Big Dog is obscenely priced, even for a wealthy motorcycle enthusiast.

I think Harley, Triumph and others have a strong range of motorcycles; they also have established brands & sales / service networks. Don't see why anyone - no matter how much money they have - would need to look beyond them or the Japanese.

I fail to see any sort of business case for launching Big Dog here.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 10:06   #3
BHPian

This bike is more like a collector's item to brag about in parties. Nothing else.

Overuse of chrome on alloys looks distasteful. If I had the money, I would've anyday bought an Indian Motorcycle over this.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 10:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's like 70 lakhs on the road.

Big Dog is obscenely priced, even for a wealthy motorcycle enthusiast.

I think Harley, Triumph and others have a strong range of motorcycles; they also have established brands & sales / service networks.
Obscenely over priced yes!

The most expensive Harley, the CVO is priced around 50.5L in India. Triumph is not even close with their range topping cruiser, the Rocket III being priced at just around 22.5L. (Both prices ex showroom)

Looks like Big Dog wanted their pricing to start where the Harleys end!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 11:27   #5
BHPian

Probably they are trying to build on exclusivity than anything else. Higher the price, lesser the vehicles sold. They probably do not want it to be seen with any average joe or even an above average joe
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

There are Enfields custom built by some reputed Indian shops that look similar to the motorcycle in the picture, so there goes exclusivity out of the window.

Then there is the engine. A HD with the same engine can be bought for probably a bit less than half the price of this.

When I used to watch Orange Country Choppers and other custom bike shows earlier, I realised these bikes have a market only in the US . The bigger the better.

Last edited by tharian : 29th November 2016 at 12:09.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 13:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Add to that the fact that its well nigh impossible to ride this bike on most roads in India. I am saying this as a Harley rider. Most harleys themselves are a pain to ride on roads other than expressways/

IMHO, amongst the imports, triumphs are the best suited for Indian roads followed by the entry level ducatis like the scrambler and the monster.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 15:03   #8
BHPian

About time we had a true blooded American Chopper to choose from!
Obscenely prices at 70 big ones!
Even the most filthy rich would think twice before spending such a steep amount on a two wheeler.
Not to forget, the bike due to its sitting posture would be pain to ride on our crater filled roads.
Skyline_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 16:28   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
There are Enfields custom built by some reputed Indian shops
You read my mind man. Vardenchi is the first name I thought of after seeing Big Dog's prices - link to report (PICS & Ride Report : Vardenchi Customized Motorcycles).

It's like the 10 lakh Thar versus the 80 lakh Wrangler. Both are good-looking Jeeps. The latter is obviously better in quality & engineering, but no one's willing to pay so much for it. Meanwhile, the Thar sells 600+ units a month.

GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 18:54   #10
BHPian

The price point is quite baffling. I used to feel that the BMW K1600 GTL was over priced but this one suddenly makes it look like a steal.

Also at that price point, the Hellcat X132 looks like a much better bet considering the engineering that has gone in the bike and of course the uniqueness it offers. And of course the Hellcat is better in every way that this, OK may be not in the overdose of chrome department.

There are many players like Vardenchi who make very similar looking bikes at a fraction of a cost. If you only want looks then these guys are your best bet.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 19:52   #11
BHPian

Obscene pricing no doubt.
But even the bike shown is the picture is not ride-able in our country, even for someone spending 7 million INR. Look at the ground clearance on that. That's a joke in a country like ours. Come on boys, do some math, instead of blindly launching something.

There is no way it can dodge the n number of speed bumps. At most it will become a 7 million rupee seesaw on one of the speed breakers.

On a side note, it would be quite funny to watch the owner who spent 7 mil and is now spending time trying to somehow see through a speed breaker
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 20:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Look at the ground clearance on that.
It's most probably got an Air ride suspension that will lift.

Though the Vardenchi looks like a "Small" Dog Custom, here is one you could have bought from Honda for about 15L that goes probably just as good.
Name:  images 1.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  19.6 KB

Honda Fury VTX1300. Google image.

Time to play a game of Spot the difference.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 21:09   #13
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone buying such an expensive custom bike would definitely want to buy it to just show off. The bike is too long and the ground clearance is too low to be ridden anywhere in India. The only use I see for this bike is to put it up as a show bike / display piece at auto shows.

Also I don't see any reason for custom bikes to be priced so high - even if you use the best quality chrome and paint. It would be more practical and cost effective to buy and customize a Harley Davidson or any of the other cruisers available in the market.

Does the Big Dog use a Harley Davidson engine? If so, there shouldnt be problem servicing the bike. Probably they will have a tie up with HD India and their service network.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 17:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You read my mind man. Vardenchi is the first name I thought of after seeing Big Dog's prices - link to report (PICS & Ride Report : Vardenchi Customized Motorcycles).

]

Don't forget Rajputana Customs! This is what they made for my brother in law 5 years back and she still attracts attention when out on rides

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1480592555.592487.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  334.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1480592569.490922.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  557.4 KB

And just look at the paint job

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1480592589.650561.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  303.0 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1480592606.465514.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  420.7 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1480592623.006145.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  419.7 KB

Rohan
RohanDheman is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 07:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Don't forget Rajputana Customs! This is what they made for my brother in law 5 years back and she still attracts attention when out on rides

Rohan
Hi there. Nice bike.

I've wondered about the longevity of some of these Custom builds.

Do you have any current pictures of the bike? I am sure many like me are curious to see how well it holds up.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote