Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 23rd March 2017, 16:36   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Dull boring Thursday and colleagues giving that weird look as to why I'm smiling and giggling looking at my lappy; Thank you bro.
Guess I should take time and read first two pages too Have fun.
Thanks man. Do read this one and another thread How get family approval for a Superbike . You might find this one interesting too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Thanks for such an honest write up. Loved it!
Thanks man. I don't know how "honest" it is, but thanks for saying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Hilarious, well written first service report. I wish I had writing skills like this. Thanks for making a dull Thursday really good!

The workshop does look well equipped. It's interesting to note that they let you access to the workshop surroundings while your bike was being serviced. I was a bit surprised that the service costs for a bike is much more than a regular car. I'll admit that I am not into bikes much though. For the costs they are charging, they should have really skilled folks working on the bikes. Does the manufacturer offer extended warranties too?
Thanks man.
The workshop is really well equipped and the guys are very good. Ducatis are not simple machines to service and I found that the mechanics surely know their way around the bikes. They have received good training and also their supervisor is committed to grooming them well.

I will ask bout extended warranty and post if I can fetch any useful answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Man you seriously can write well. You should write more, might be a nice travelogue or something like that because you have a witty and funny way of putting down words. This is the first bike related thread I have opened on our forum (i have been surfing on our forum since almost 4/5 yrs now) and it was so much fun. Keep writing bro.
Thanks man. Its really nice to know that I helped you come into the bike world. Do check it out in the real world sometime. My words are really a meek attempt in describing this wonderful machine.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 14:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post

I set out for the Ducati showroom with my mind fully made up. I got my mind made up back on the Monster in '93, in eighth standard. I didnít need test ride or any kind of sales pitch etc.
Really happy for you brother. Just wanted to say a million thanks for reaffirming the fact that dreams do come true .

Despite not knowing you but having thoroughly enjoyed, smiled, laughed and maybe feeling a touch emotional through your exceptional writing and review, I cannot help but wish you the best of journeys. The following words by your sister (another exceptional writer- do convey the same) surmise my wishes in their entirety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
May the Ducati open up a treasure trove of delights for the very deserving and ever smiling biker-man.
rk206 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 21:36   #48
BHPian

Personally, I'm all for more subjectivity - in reality it suits the whole endeavor of motorcycling much better than any kind of cold (supposedly) unbiased analysis... The Monster (as many other Ducatis have been) seems the sort of machine that simply inspires its riders beyond words. The experience can't be defined by a spec-sheet or a service booklet / bill. Same with Harleys and Motoguzzis and so many others over the years. They either connect with you or they don't.

The one and only time I rode a Ducati (friend's ST-5, with the famed 916 engine), I didn't even know enough about Ducatis to know it was a V-twin. I was on winding, flawlessly paved roads in the north Georgia hills, finding its power delivery and SOUND simply amazing. The ST (Sport Touring) has a relatively flat seat and I was worried about sliding right off the back if/when I dared to fully open the throttle in anything lower than 3rd gear. My friend was alongside on his wife's Ninja 250, and it was hilarious for both of us to see just how pedestrian that bike was in comparison. Astonishing how the Ducati's grip could be twisted open in any old gear and 150kmph would come up in just a few moments.

As others have advised, do try and ride carefully. A month or so ago when I was with a buddy at a biker bar in Gurgaon, I was informed of the rider of a week-old Ducati who that very morning had met his demise just nearby...

As for me, having been thus inspired / sobered (and not having quite the budget/inclination),I'm on the verge of closing a deal on a much cheaper (and hopefully safer) alternative with just a bit of the same spirit: an old Hyosung Comet (tiny 90-degree V-twin), it's most noticeable attribute IMO being its "...bigger than 249cc sound – think love child of a buzz saw and a Ducati... nice" (motorcyclespecs.co.za)

The number of "thanks" you're receiving affirms your approach to reviewing.

So thanks again.
-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 26th March 2017 at 21:39.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 22:15   #49
BHPian

A ride video of our last weekend ride to Malshej Ghat. I am not there much in the video for obvious reasons.

Old 6th April 2017, 15:02   #50
BHPian

Sen, on your 1st service bill the svc center has charged you full amount for Motul cleaning & lubing cans. Since only a fraction of it is used at a time, shouldn't they be charging you accordingly or not charge at all (as these can be used across multiple bikes)? it's not like 100 ml of engine oil remaining that we are asked to take home.

SBK expenses eh?
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 20:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Sen, on your 1st service bill the svc center has charged you full amount for Motul cleaning & lubing cans. Since only a fraction of it is used at a time, shouldn't they be charging you accordingly or not charge at all (as these can be used across multiple bikes)? it's not like 100 ml of engine oil remaining that we are asked to take home.

SBK expenses eh?
They have given me the cans and asked me to do this cleaning / lubing every 500KM at home. As such I would have bought it anyway, so not an extra expense for me. But it's true that in Superbike world everything has to be bought in sealed pack, even if only a little quantity is required.

And, there is nothing free in this world.