Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 27th July 2017, 14:47   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Superbike crashes in India

Got this on whatsapp:

Blessed is this rider, He fell down from khardungla nearly 200 ft, was wearing shoei helmet which saved his life. Has no fractures in body but lots of muscle injuries and abrassions,he is bought to mumbai by special flight and is currently in Guru Nanak Hospital BKC.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 20170727 at 2.42.15 PM.jpeg
Views: 1887
Size:  65.9 KB

Superbike crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20170727-2.42.15-pm1.jpeg
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 18:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Can't understand why someone would take a diavel to khardungla.
Axe77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 16:45   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
If anybody has the actual details of the incident, please feel free to share here.
As per the information I received in biking groups - the biker fell after hitting a big pothole. He is safe, but has to undergo surgery for fractures on his right leg.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 17:27   #49
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
^^ You might want to hold on to your horses before forming an opinion. We don't know what really happened. And media reports today are the last thing you want to accept as true. They will write whatever sells. Also they have mentioned that the wife has accused that the group wasn't carrying any medical aid or had an ambulance accompanying them. Now why on earth would an Ambulance accompany you on the trip? It might appeal to emotion but not practical at all. Second a medical kit box would be of no use in the event of a serious head injury.
On rides where you have many riders, sometimes it's good to have an ambulance along with you. Triumph ride in Chandigarh we had one. The ride was approx 100 Kms one way with different types of riders showing up for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Can't understand why someone would take a diavel to khardungla.
Exactly. Riders take such risks for self set goals but also endanger life of others. The Leh Ducati crash news coming from riding groups is some issue with clutch failure. Others also referring to the tyre huger. In both cases the question remains why would one take the Diavel to Khardungla.
http://www.scramblerforum.com/thread...someone.10377/

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st July 2017 at 19:06. Reason: Back to back posts.
joybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 18:02   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
On rides where you have many riders, sometimes it's good to have an ambulance along with you. Triumph ride in Chandigarh we had one. The ride was approx 100 Kms one way with different types of riders showing up for the first time
Actually with 100 odd bikes its not exactly a ride, its a parade. And having an ambulance for a parade is not a bad idea!
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 18:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
............. Others also referring to the tyre huger. ........
http://www.scramblerforum.com/thread...someone.10377/

Oh I had a tire hugger failure last night while returning for a simple coffee ride to Mussoorie.

Riding normally, I just went over a rumble strip type speed breaker a bit fast. Next thing I hear is a Khat and Kharrrrrrrrrrrr till I stop. The hugger was stuck in between the tire, the swingarm and the frame below the seat.
Pulled it out after a good ten minutes. Rode on towards home. Threw it in the garage. Don't think that is going back on anytime soon.

The problem analysis is:
1. The hugger is held by 3 bolts.
2. One of the main bolts got loose and came off.
3. The load increased on the sections mounted by the other two bolts.
4. Slowly over the ride the sections might have cracked.
5. The speed breaker was last straw. The section broke and got stuck.

That's the reason I don't see many huggers on people who ride the GS offroad. Looks Badass too! Haha!
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 12:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
For a 100km parade ride (which I assume was sponsored by the dealer - Please correct me if I'm wrong), an ambulance is a sensible precaution, especially with a very large group and new riders.

However having an ambulance with an emt follow you on a long ride with a smaller number of riders is not practical - both logistically and economically.

Quote:
The Leh Ducati crash news coming from riding groups is some issue with clutch failure. Others also referring to the tyre huger. In both cases the question remains why would one take the Diavel to Khardungla.
I don't understand why it is ok to take an enfield to Khardungla and not a Ducati if you ride carefully? I personally would like to take my own bike which I am familiar riding, rather than rent an enfield I've never ridden which may not be in the best of condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Blessed is this rider, He fell down from khardungla nearly 200 ft, was wearing shoei helmet which saved his life.
Perfect example of the importance of gear. People often ask me why did you spend so much on an Arai helmet when you don't ride so often? I always reply that you only need one crash to get the value out of a helmet.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th August 2017 at 07:55. Reason: Avoid back to back posts
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 12:51   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
For a 100km parade ride (which I assume was sponsored by the dealer - Please correct me if I'm wrong), an ambulance is a sensible precaution, especially with a very large group and new riders.

However having an ambulance with an emt follow you on a long ride with a smaller number of riders is not practical - both logistically and economically.

I don't understand why it is ok to take an enfield to Khardungla and not a Ducati if you ride carefully? I personally would like to take my own bike which I am familiar riding, rather than rent an enfield I've never ridden which may not be in the best of condition.
The HD riders going to Goa for IBW I assume were in big numbers. Dealer ride or no dealer ride if you contribute and atleast have a good back up surely lot of time on the ride can be saved for breakdowns as well as medical assistance. The local ride I mentioned was 100 Kms and not 100 riders.
Even the package rides to far off places offer backup so we riding on our own in a group why not have something for ourselves.
Track bikes cannot perform like adventure bikes. The concept of both is different and that's why the category. Where RE can perform Ducati or V-rod or the Rocket cannot. If the rider pushes the machine the risk is bigger and results can be fatal.
Not a question that one cannot take the Diavel to Khardungla, question is the rider prepared for maintenance costs after a trip to Khardungla and the issues the bike may have.
The soft/ mixed compound tyres with a heavy bike like the Diavel can get damaged on rough roads of the mountains or when doing the water crossings. RE won't have that issue. Even if it does what's the cost.
joybird is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 14:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
The HD riders going to Goa for IBW I assume were in big numbers. Dealer ride or no dealer ride if you contribute and atleast have a good back up surely lot of time on the ride can be saved for breakdowns as well as medical assistance. The local ride I mentioned was 100 Kms and not 100 riders.

Even the package rides to far off places offer backup so we riding on our own in a group why not have something for ourselves.
Assuming big numbers is not a good idea - most Harley groups ride to national events in groups of 5-10, it's rare to see bigger groups than that.

There is a big difference between an ambulance with a trained EMT and a support car. Both in function and in cost. A support car cannot do much in case of a medical emergency, except try and rush the rider to a hospital which in itself is not advisable after a crash. A support van is actually quite common with most of these groups.

And aside from that the crash which was being discussed did have a support car with family following the riders.

It's very easy to say that everyone should contribute towards the cost but in reality how many will. And by that logic an ambulance should be available on every ride short or long - again not very practical.

Quote:
Not a question that one cannot take the Diavel to Khardungla, question is the rider prepared for maintenance costs after a trip to Khardungla and the issues the bike may have.
The soft/ mixed compound tyres with a heavy bike like the Diavel can get damaged on rough roads of the mountains or when doing the water crossings. RE won't have that issue. Even if it does what's the cost.
If the rider took his bike to Leh, he's probably ok with paying for the service. At the end of the day - you are probably safer on your own bike which is well serviced and cared for by you than on some rental which has been abused to hell.
VellVector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:11   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Assuming big numbers is not a good idea - most Harley groups ride to national events in groups of 5-10, it's rare to see bigger groups than that.

There is a big difference between an ambulance with a trained EMT and a support car. Both in function and in cost. A support car cannot do much in case of a medical emergency, except try and rush the rider to a hospital which in itself is not advisable after a crash. A support van is actually quite common with most of these groups.

And aside from that the crash which was being discussed did have a support car with family following the riders.

It's very easy to say that everyone should contribute towards the cost but in reality how many will. And by that logic an ambulance should be available on every ride short or long - again not very practical.

If the rider took his bike to Leh, he's probably ok with paying for the service. At the end of the day - you are probably safer on your own bike which is well serviced and cared for by you than on some rental which has been abused to hell.
Rider taking his bike to Leh is not ok when one does not know how to drive in hills. it should be treated as a crime to take your bike or car to the hills where you have never been there before and you are ill equipped for it. You jeopardize not only your life but life of others. This is the mindset I guess need to be changed. If you can afford a setback of 55K for tyres of the Diavel and another 20k for service and pads, you can buy a second hand RE and do the trip and sell it on your return.
Most of us pick our bikes and cars and drive to places ill equipped and not prepared. Then expect help from locals.
So many times in winters after first snow passing Narkanda me and my local friends have helped groups traveling in cars which have slipped on ice or not starting because of cold temperatures. Most of them just there for weekend to see snow.
2008 kunzum wasn't open when an innova taxi was stuck on the road with family and kids and officially road wasn't declared open.
My personal opinion responsibility is our own of our actions. We cannot hold others at risk.
I would buy an adventure bike if hills is what I craved for and not a 360kg cruiser but that's me.
joybird is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:24   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Rider taking his bike to Leh is not ok when one does not know how to drive in hills. it should be treated as a crime to take your bike or car to the hills where you have never been there before and you are ill equipped for it.
Could you please share any reasons that you have firmly concluded that this rider doesn't know how to ride in the hills? And wasn't equipped for it?The reason he is alive seems to be that he was riding with proper gear - does not sound like a typical out of control rider.

Accidents happen, an RE doesn't guarantee that you will have absolutely no accidents.
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please share any reasons that you have firmly concluded that this rider doesn't know how to ride in the hills? And wasn't equipped for it?The reason he is alive seems to be that he was riding with proper gear - does not sound like a typical out of control rider.

Accidents happen, an RE doesn't guarantee that you will have absolutely no accidents.
Sorry but looks like the post is drifting off topic so I do not wish to continue. I have my reasons and you have yours. Reports regarding this Diavel on way to Leh from Manali suggested he was having issues with the clutch. If that's the case and I repeat if that's the case then to carry on wasn't the right thing. Handling Diavel when out of control and handling RE when in similar situation is different. May be the bike would have survived too if it was not as heavy as the Diavel and more agile than the Diavel. Cheers
joybird is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:53   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Reports regarding this Diavel on way to Leh from Manali suggested he was having issues with the clutch. If that's the case and I repeat if that's the case then to carry on wasn't the right thing.
If the bike was having problems then I agree with you that it was stupid to keep going. On the other point let us agree to disagree.
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:02   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please share any reasons that you have firmly concluded that this rider doesn't know how to ride in the hills?
The only fact that can be concluded with any amount of certainty is that a Diavel owner's purchasing power is significantly more than that of say, an Activa owner.

Nobody here can claim with any amount of objectivity, how good or bad their riding skills actually are.

As far as age, safe riding skills, experience, education are concerned, our country's authorities officially make no distinction between an Activa rider or a Diavel rider before granting them the 'privilege' of riding their respective two wheelers in any part of this country.

That IMO is the elephant in the room in all such crash cases.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 01:27   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
As far as age, safe riding skills, experience, education are concerned, our country's authorities officially make no distinction between an Activa rider or a Diavel rider before granting them the 'privilege' of riding their respective two wheelers in any part of this country.
Unfortunately this is a very valid point. However with the current system where getting a license of any category is not very difficult whether you possess the requisite skills or not - I don't think it would make any difference to have a separate category for higher power bikes. Not until the underlying issues are rectified anyways.