Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 14th February 2017, 15:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Advice: Getting family approval for a Superbike!

All of menís hobbies tend to be expensive, so we need lots of cunning plans for each Ďinvestmentí.

Years ago, I was supported by an (American) friend of my wifeís. She got it wrong, but Iím still using it every time I need to buy something for my classic cars, my bike, my photography whatever.

This is what happened:

One afternoon I drove up to our house in my Alfa Romeo Spider, top down obviously. Just as I pull up to our driveway my wife is seeing her friend out. She sees me, looks me up and down, looks at my car. I could see her think, he must be forty. Next, she puts her arm around my wife and tells her: Donít worry dear, it is better than a skinny blond.

Since, whenever I need anything I tell my wife, ďI need this car/tool/camera/iphone/bike. Itís either that or a skinny blonde. Works a charm!

Enjoy the bike, ride carefully

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 15:44   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Only catch is that these bikes do not come with a red color plastic cover down below.
From the pic it looks like its not just a red plastic cover, but also some sort of radiator/cooler housed within it?

EDIT: Oh man, I should pay more attention. Nevermind

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th February 2017 at 16:36.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 15:54   #18
BHPian

Brilliant post Mr. Sen !

In fact, variations of this strategy can and should be used for all kind of purchases, including (but not limited to) cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
One afternoon I drove up to our house in my Alfa Romeo Spider, top down obviously. Just as I pull up to our driveway my wife is seeing her friend out. She sees me, looks me up and down, looks at my car. I could see her think, he must be forty. Next, she puts her arm around my wife and tells her: Don’t worry dear, it is better than a skinny blond.

Since, whenever I need anything I tell my wife, “I need this car/tool/camera/iphone/bike. It’s either that or a skinny blonde. Works a charm!
Good one Jeroen. Only problem is, back here such a statement could be grievously injurious to one's health !!
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 16:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
All of menís hobbies tend to be expensive, so we need lots of cunning plans for each Ďinvestmentí.

Years ago, I was supported by an (American) friend of my wifeís. She got it wrong, but Iím still using it every time I need to buy something for my classic cars, my bike, my photography whatever.

This is what happened:

One afternoon I drove up to our house in my Alfa Romeo Spider, top down obviously. Just as I pull up to our driveway my wife is seeing her friend out. She sees me, looks me up and down, looks at my car. I could see her think, he must be forty. Next, she puts her arm around my wife and tells her: Donít worry dear, it is better than a skinny blond.

Since, whenever I need anything I tell my wife, ďI need this car/tool/camera/iphone/bike. Itís either that or a skinny blonde. Works a charm!

Enjoy the bike, ride carefully

Jeroen
Wow!! It's like the God gifted you a permanent weapon. But given that you had an Alpha Romeo Spider already , you aren't telling us the whole story yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
From the pic it looks like its not just a red plastic cover, but also some sort of radiator/cooler housed within it?
Dude!! Catch the drift. I am your friend, don't you deliver me like that. That is just a red cover, which they are not giving in India models because it gets easily damaged due to bad Indian roads.
sen2009 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 16:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow!! It's like the God gifted you a permanent weapon. But given that you had an Alpha Romeo Spider already , you aren't telling us the whole story yet.

Actually, it was my wife who suggested I should buy a classic car. I had been visiting classic car shows for years, reading magazines etc. So one day she said; why don't you get one, in sure you will enjoy it!

So I did. Mind you I had no idea what to get at first. A mate of mine had a Spider and lend me his keys. Within five minutes I was hooked! Got myself a Spider and the rest is history as they say
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 09:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Ducati. Reading your thread had me in splits. Making of a Hollywood potboiler... lolz.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 18:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Family Approval Strategy

None of the above objections are without merit. Each one is true to the core and as per my discovery, there is no logical approach to refute any of these. Hence, it needs to be understood once and for all that logical approach or arguments will NEVER take you there, it will only make the objections stronger with more research done by family folks.
-- Brilliantly written and to the point. I recommend you write more (Automotive stuff ofcourse). Like the way you point out all the counter measures so precisely.

I agree completely with you. But the usual predication that comes, is from within (Atleast for me). Like all TBHP members, I too am a car and bike nut. Large displacement bikes are my dream. Going fast is what i like. But if i had lots of money lying around and can afford to spend it on bikes, would I? Certainly NO. Reason - As you mentioned all the logical obejctions you have mentioned. Who Objects - Me. Why? - I don't want to own one. I would rather rent them and rent a different bike every time. Moreover putting your money onto something changes the dynamics with people around you (Specially when you are Married). You would rather make others happy than to bear the burden of being selfish. Well may be its just me.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th February 2017 at 19:15. Reason: Fixed quote tag.
raghu.bramha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 19:31   #23
BHPian

In my case, my wife has promised the bike whenever I am able to lose my extra weight and get my weight into the 70s (KGs). That is probably all the motivation I will need!
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 21:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
In my case, my wife has promised the bike whenever I am able to lose my extra weight and get my weight into the 70s (KGs). That is probably all the motivation I will need!
Yes, I got that too. It's actually a useful thing to loose weight, as I am finding out now. This lean forward riding positions put whole lots of load on your back and your hands. It's quite painful, even so for me as I have to support an extra 20 kilo tummy hanging down. Loosing it and also building up back strength will be immensely helpful and enjoying a Superbike.
I have to side with your wife on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.bramha View Post
-- Brilliantly written and to the point. I recommend you write more (Automotive stuff ofcourse). Like the way you point out all the counter measures so precisely.

I agree completely with you. But the usual predication that comes, is from within (Atleast for me). Like all TBHP members, I too am a car and bike nut. Large displacement bikes are my dream. Going fast is what i like. But if i had lots of money lying around and can afford to spend it on bikes, would I? Certainly NO. Reason - As you mentioned all the logical obejctions you have mentioned. Who Objects - Me. Why? - I don't want to own one. I would rather rent them and rent a different bike every time. Moreover putting your money onto something changes the dynamics with people around you (Specially when you are Married). You would rather make others happy than to bear the burden of being selfish. Well may be its just me.
Renting is a different ball game. I don't know if one could actually rent super bikes much in India. I think there is an agency in hyderabad, but I am not sure of they are still open.
The Superbike and super car renting could be a lucrative business, but sadly the entrepreneurs lack any kind of conviction in themselves.
Even the normal zoomcar etc are limping.

If it was not so and the scene would have been like in USA, it could be a really viable option for many aficionados. As of now, if one wants to enjoy a Superbike, owning is the way. More so, as it takes significant amount of time to really get the hang of these things. Their motion dynamics are complete different and learning curve is steep. Even if I get a chance to ride, say a Hayabusa for a while, I would most likely just hang on for my dear life than actually enjoying. But that's my case as I am novice, people with experience can enjoy right off the bat. Then again, to build the experience one needs to own.
Kind of complicated and really no feasible options, other than to run for president as per my guide you see.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th February 2017 at 13:55. Reason: Merging consecutive posts...
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 09:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
This is good. Thanks - might try this approach.
You seem to have put this into practice immediately, congrats in advance for Versys.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 12:01   #26
BHPian

I am asking my wife that we should buy a bike, she drives a dio and I don't have bike from last 10 year after I sold mine. Always there is a desire to have one not much fancy but at least bullet kind of thing which is not too expensive so even if I don't use it much still can be kept but not able to convince her till now.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th February 2017 at 13:55. Reason: Post edited. Please do NOT use spaces *before* punctuation marks (only after).
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 13:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Family Approval Strategy
You will be astonished to see how everyone will gradually start nodding your way.
Though its not about buying a super bike, I followed almost the same strategy of progressive perseverance on almost all of my decisions to get the family approval. When i decided on gettting an Enfield in 2013, i had just bought a new bike 8 months earlier. So, had to sell it off for quite a loss and then splurge some more money on the RE. So, i started showing all sorts of Enfield travel documentaries to my mom to such a point that she still follows Enfield. (She called me up when Himalayan launched and asked if i was upgrading . In her words, "Beta, that new bike from Enfield can take you anywhere it seems. They are showing it in the advert"). My father on the other hand is a motorhead and is very easily convinced on these things as long as he thinks i can afford it. Needless to mention, it worked and I got my RE in 10 days while the waiting period back then was quoted to be 14 months thanks to my father pulling some strings which happened only because the family approved and were happy.Then, I pulled the same old trick when i wanted to buy a Thar. Started showing 4X4 clips to my mom but, then i myself realized i wanted a good soft-roader as well and Thar might not quite suit my needs. So, Duster it had to be. The reason I gave them this time - For the highway interstate travelling I'm doing on the Enfield, it is much safer on a able car. Moreover, how will i be travelling with a wife on all these weekend getaways if not for a good car with plenty of storage. (The point in these sort of discussions is to highlight to the family all the positive aspects of the vehicle.) And they were more than happy to approve

The best thing about your post is that whatever you mentioned as a plan ultimately is to get an approval from your family which is the most important thing as you would need a constant support for doing things that you love. That way, its much easier to enjoy the good stuff in life ! Cheers !!

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 16th February 2017 at 13:53. Reason: formatting
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 21:51   #28
BHPian

@sen, fantastic post my friend. The funny part is, I don't want to sound cocky but I have been on the same lines trying this for over 9 years, nothing has changed

Last edited by Eddy : 17th February 2017 at 14:10. Reason: extra smiley
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 13:36   #29
BHPian

Guys don't pull a Marty Kaan on your parents.

If the bike is a co-purchase with your wife, then this approval strategy is an understandable thing, maybe it's almost the right thing too. Anyway.

Btw, I'm sure many car enthusiasts here will hate bikes in the same breath as Jeremy Clarkson does, but IMPO it's a great way to travel/arrive. Only need to ensure your feelings don't drive you while you ride it. Seems easy, apparently isn't.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 17th February 2017 at 13:50.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 14:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
You seem to have put this into practice immediately, congrats in advance for Versys.
Looks like I should expect a box of sweets at my home some time soon. kailashnj - I am waiting with salivating breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
I am asking my wife that we should buy a bike, she drives a dio and I don't have bike from last 10 year after I sold mine. Always there is a desire to have one not much fancy but at least bullet kind of thing which is not too expensive so even if I don't use it much still can be kept but not able to convince her till now.
Safety argument works awesomely in favor of Bullets. You situation is somewhat different and arguably more complicated. Maybe starting to whine about traffic and fuel price could be a good starting point to slowly slowly introduce the concept of bike in the play. I am sure she would object about low safety record of bikes compared to cars, you can introduce the bullet then.
You may consider inventing a problem in your car which will need say a lakh or lakh fifty to repair and then park the car for a month showing lack of funds and wastage of that money in light of no improvement in resale value. Then after a month or so, discover a friendly mechanic who will solve it for 10K or so in jugaad way. Keep this done for the records, later it may become useful. You may consider giving me a treat with that 10K after you get your bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Though its not about buying a super bike, I followed almost the same strategy of progressive perseverance on almost all of my decisions to get the family approval. When i decided on gettting an Enfield in 2013, i had just bought a new bike 8 months earlier. So, had to sell it off for quite a loss and then splurge some more money on the RE. So, i started showing all sorts of Enfield travel documentaries to my mom to such a point that she still follows Enfield. (She called me up when Himalayan launched and asked if i was upgrading . In her words, "Beta, that new bike from Enfield can take you anywhere it seems. They are showing it in the advert"). My father on the other hand is a motorhead and is very easily convinced on these things as long as he thinks i can afford it. Needless to mention, it worked and I got my RE in 10 days while the waiting period back then was quoted to be 14 months thanks to my father pulling some strings which happened only because the family approved and were happy.Then, I pulled the same old trick when i wanted to buy a Thar. Started showing 4X4 clips to my mom but, then i myself realized i wanted a good soft-roader as well and Thar might not quite suit my needs. So, Duster it had to be. The reason I gave them this time - For the highway interstate travelling I'm doing on the Enfield, it is much safer on a able car. Moreover, how will i be travelling with a wife on all these weekend getaways if not for a good car with plenty of storage. (The point in these sort of discussions is to highlight to the family all the positive aspects of the vehicle.) And they were more than happy to approve

The best thing about your post is that whatever you mentioned as a plan ultimately is to get an approval from your family which is the most important thing as you would need a constant support for doing things that you love. That way, its much easier to enjoy the good stuff in life ! Cheers !!
I cannot agree more. One can have whatever one desires. But for something like an automobile (even if its a two wheeler), its a family matter in India. Without everyone happy and feeling proud about it, any vehicle degrades down to just a lump of metal and plastic.

However, the more practical thing to consider is that Arai Helmets start at 48k. Good jackets start at 20. It is quite an advantage to have family members and close relatives with disposable income excited on your purchase. Like I said before, you will need every drop of this support later while buying riding gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
@sen, fantastic post my friend. The funny part is, I don't want to sound cocky but I have been on the same lines trying this for over 9 years, nothing has changed
Keep faith my friend. This will work and your perseverance will get you there. Do try to find out what she worries about, what she dislikes. Pivot your campaign accordingly. 9 years is not a short time, so I am sure that you have established your passion and also convinced everyone that whether you get your bike or not, you are not gonna quit eating their brains. Keep at it and escalate. You can't believe the amount of exposure people take to avoid constant irritation.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th February 2017 at 15:10. Reason: Removing extra smiley from quote :)
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote