Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 26th February 2017, 16:43   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Advice: Getting family approval for a Superbike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Family Approval Strategy

It has been a very difficult thing for me to work out. I am sure that many prospective buyers are stuck at this stage. Hence, here goes my small guide about how to convince your family.
Great subject for a thread, Sens.
Here's how I shattered the opposition. In my case, there's no wife to oppose, just my dad and mom. Dad is cool, he knows I'm not rash with decisions and trusted me to handle my finances and my riding sanely.

As for mother - I had already bought a car - so "why not buy a car" argument was nullified. Still, that's barely enough to get a superbike proposal passed by parliament, right?

My lifelong dream was to fly these :

Advice: Getting family approval for a Superbike!-user_321_717.jpg

Fate sealed that dream to much personal grief, but it did make a useful argument here. I told the folks - my #1 dream is shattered, are you going to oppose my #2 dream - owning a superbike ,too ?

Then another salvo - why not buy property? My justification was - any property I buy still requires a huge loan component, and I have never taken a loan before. I took a loan for buying my Triumph, but with a useful caveat - availing and paying for the EMI for a smaller loan for a shorter period, is a useful step to get into the mental state of what it will be like paying EMIs for 10-20 years.

And lastly - I can buy an apartment at age 40 or 50 after saving up, but riding a superbike ? It's now , because later may become never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Whilst your above statement may hold valid for most international markets, the superbike and imports evolution has been a bit of a classic case. The supply:demand ratio, buying power of the super rich in India and the greed of the OEMs present here (almost all majors now) has ensured a fairly different scenario.

Circa 2007/08: Yamaha R1 OTR 12- 13 Lacs
Circa 2016/17: Yamaha R1 OTR 27 - 28 Lacs
No thanks to the government helping the case with massive loot in the form of customs and add on taxes. Also, we complain about being handed old technology instead of the latest, but if we had to get the latest tech on even small capacity bikes, I guess a Splendor would cost 1 lakh or thereabouts.

Simple, reliable, low or rather functional tech bikes do have a place, but unfortunately emission norms mean there's no going back on some of the technology front.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 13:28   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
My lifelong dream was to fly these :
Wow man. If anyone could give me a step by step guide for that one there!!

Quote:
No thanks to the government helping the case with massive loot in the form of customs and add on taxes. Also, we complain about being handed old technology instead of the latest, but if we had to get the latest tech on even small capacity bikes, I guess a Splendor would cost 1 lakh or thereabouts.
I agree that the import duty for big bikes is too high. The India manufactured bikes on the other hand are nowhere near these big machines in performance. But there is one thing to consider which might not make this situation look so wrong.

The number of deaths on super bikes is really high. Considering the very low numbers of these bikes to begin with, this is a frightening ratio.
Because of the prohibitive duty structure and no real option on locally manufactured bikes, very few people can buy them. And that, I think is a good thing.

We as a nation still have a really long way to go to achieve 100% traffic literacy. It is better if the Big bike penetration remains low till we at least cover half way to that literacy level. For most folks, getting a super bike means at least 10-15 years in a stable income job. People attain some maturity by that time. I think it is necessary.

Government taxes big capacity bikes only. Given the low numbers, the revenue impact is negligibly tiny. The objective must be to deter bulk buying of these bikes for the sake of our own safety. I am with the government policy on this one.

The Indian manufacturers are slowly increasing capacities of their bikes. At one time Pulsar 180 was the biggest bike, now-a-days Duke 390 is. Considering the road quality improvement in last two decades, this looks like a proportionate progress.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 15:58   #48
BHPian

@Sen2009 Wonderful post bro. I'm on the verge of getting one and it had been taking ages to get the approval. One strong point to strictly bachelors i can suggest is to try the sentimental marriage approach.This is kind of a last resort which proved successful. Along with some points mentioned by sen2009, you can say that you won't get married unless you get the bike.Working out quite good for me Sounds childish but its true.
anupam9557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 22:11   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Wow man. If anyone could give me a step by step guide for that one there!!
I wish I could make a guide to that!

Quote:
Government taxes big capacity bikes only. Given the low numbers, the revenue impact is negligibly tiny. The objective must be to deter bulk buying of these bikes for the sake of our own safety. I am with the government policy on this one.
The government doesn't care about our safety. If they did, they'd make infrastructure sensibly if you what I mean - no unmarked breaks in median, clearly marked junctions, crossings, exits, entries and stricter driver training - who need to be taught better lane discipline, better speed judgment and how to dip to low beams . If the sarkar cares about our safety, they'd penalize unmarked and non-standard speedbumps. They'd stop charging extra for imported safety gear which is way better than the ISI stamped flowerpots on offer most of the time. It took until 2016 to enact ABS mandate. Government's soap is really slow (if you know the TV ad with the Hindi tag line , "tera sabun slow hai kya" - is your soap slow? ). They label just about everything a luxury and want to mint money off it. Excuse given is of domestic industry protection, but that industry hasn't got past 500 in decades of operation, and that 500cc is an ancient British 1950s era based single, somewhat modernized, but otherwise a monument to our lack of R&D interest to serve a small market and yet post obstacles in the path of those willing to get some import.

I agree biker deaths are high - there are no crumple zones and airbags, and many riders skimp on even basic gear, but how many of these accidents involve other vehicles, particularly bigger ones, who couldn't care less about right of way and just bully/drive into oncoming lanes, unmindful of risking 2 wheeler riders' lives? I've lost count of the number of times autorickshaws execute sudden U turns in front of me - once it caused a crash too, last June.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote