Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 18th April 2017, 20:04   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100

The recordings do not clearly do justice to the actual sound. Here's a link to the TORs on my Bonnie. It actually sounds way better

Last edited by dinu2506 : 18th April 2017 at 20:06.
dinu2506 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 15:58   #47
BHPian

General, Service & Trip update

I’ve completed delightful 1000+ kms so far with ‘Sultana’ through city roads & highways. Missed the exact 1000 odo so captured the next best odo reading.
Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-1010.jpg
The FE figures have been frugal, in the range of 2.8 – 3.5 L for 100km. And something weird, all my life I never got a catchy or numerology inspired number by itself but this time it happened, it’s my birth year. Some dark made-in-heaven-match reason I would like to think.
Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-20170429_165038-2.jpg

First service was done at 800kms as recommended. It was a fairly quick affair with not much time spent idling around. A Rocket & a Tiger were giving Bonnie company through the service time.
Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-1st-svc-w-rocket.jpg

The SA and mechanics at One Triumph Delhi were polite & a professional lot. The servicing was completed in about 3 hours from the time Bonnie was put in the bay of which almost an hour for the engine to cool down. The mechanics also answered & discussed my techie questions without losing patience but at times providing an end-of-the-road answer “It’s as per Triumph” to really send across the message to the inquisitive me. The service center had the outdated tyre pressure information and I had to show the manual to convince the mechanic to fill in the air as per latest. Total Cost Rs. 7000/- including labour, oil & misc.
Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-svc-done-jr-biker.jpg
Name:  service bill.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  70.3 KB

Triumph service center is bang opposite RE’s and just the relative number of bikes there was some sight. Being an RE owner myself I could understand when RE guys would just turn their heads to see Triumph bikes while taking pauses during filling their job cards.
Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-t-vs-re.jpg

Few RE owners walked into Triumph service centre to take a closer look at Bonnie beauties on display and also chatted about life on RE vs Bonnie. Quite clearly as with me Bonnie is a natural pull for RE owners.

Ride
After the 1st servicing it was time to take Bonnie out for longer run, get to know her better. So, fellow bhpian ‘PG03’ from NCR & I rode from Delhi to Bhangarh (Rajasthan) through Bhiwadi, Alwar and back, total of ~560 kms done in a day. This ride was chosen because the fellow riders had got a whiff that there are ‘twisties-to-lean’ in abundance and astride Dukes it’s worth every ooh-ouch while on the saddle and I just wanted to take Bonnie for outing. Besides it, the mystery of “haunted” Fort of Bhangarh was a calling but at the end there weren’t any notable twisties nor there were any ghost like aura. To keep it interesting locals insist that it's the night time visit that's taboo not the ones done in daylight. Some attractions at destination were a ruined fort to explore and learning that temple scenes of mid 90s Hindi movie ‘Karan Arjun’ were shot here.
Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-road-7.jpg
Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-road-6.jpg
Name:  tmpl.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  136.0 KB
We had been on saddle & riding hard from 4 AM till 630 PM with very few breaks. The NH8,SH25 roads were good so Bonnie galloped through effortlessly at high speed. Around 100 kms of the trip was through congested city, village, broken roads, over numerous annoying S/M/L/XL humps and Bonnie did fine (Versys with similar seat height would have been perfect for me on such roads) dampening the never ending shocks from the roads. The roads after Alwar towards Ajabgarh-Bhangarh and around Sariska reserve are broken, patched and bum busters. Any relief from well laid tarmac was very short lived and then broken roads and repeat. Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-road-4.jpg
Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-road-5.jpg

There weren't any vibrations or harshness felt on foot pegs/handle bars even at high speeds that Bonnie runs up to quickly. Not that I was expecting any such experience but having been used to riding RE over long distances provides a perspective

Thanks bhpian 'PG03' for helping hand with the pics.

So overall at 1500 kms, key impressions about Bonnie T100:

Highs

1. Torque in everyday usable & wide rev range. Simply put,Bonnie hugely impresses me with its performance and the ability to use the bulk of the power as often as I go for a ride.
2. Distinguished Retro look
3. Peashooter exhaust sound coupled with engine’s
4. Torque (didn't I write it already!)
5. USB port under the seat
6. Extraordinary mechanical connection with the machine
7. T…e (stop you wrote it)

Sighs
1. Horn is pathetic and meek. I rarely honk anyway but there are times when that guy in short distance on the phone, looking skywards is supposed to be warned but the Horn fails badly, so I slow down and let him exercise his J walk rights. Even a toddler’s bike in its surroundings will be of better use.
2. No provision for front number plate if customer chooses fly screen accessory
3. Very Expensive accessories (I need to remind myself that am in SBK marketplace, don’t complain)

Thanks for reading, Cheers!

Last edited by navin : 4th May 2017 at 10:48. Reason: typos corrected as per RP
wangdu is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 08:45   #48
BHPian

Very well written review there Wangdu! I too bought a Jet Black Bonnie T100 two weeks ago and went through a similar buying experience after upgrading from a nearly decade old Enfield. Am yet to get the first service done and am thoroughly enjoying the riding experience. Your words mirror my thoughts on the torque available, seat height, ride ability, engine refinement, fit and finish! Happy riding buddy!!
madhkris is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 09:34   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Thanks Jkdas. Here's the stock T100 sound (pump up the volume for better feel). This is at odo less than 500, pretty sure the engine whining sound would reduce and it would get more bassy after a few more hundred kms. How does this sound compare with pre-2016 model and hi-flow exhausts if you would know? Thanks.
Thanks.Rode with a T100 last weekend. It did sound great for a stock one and I liked it. Have to go TD one and the T120 and the Bobber !
Attached Thumbnails
Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-img_20170430_09530101-large.jpeg  

Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-img_20170430_11514901-large.jpeg  

jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 11:22   #50
BHPian

Hi friends,
It's been vile summer over here in NCR with exasperating humidity on Sunday 9-July but that couldn't dampen the riding spirit of DRATs and nor of my son to go on the breakfast ride. We assembled at ~530am and the amazing triumph bikes roared/screamed away to relish the ride of `200kms (return) with breakfast at the end of one way.

The RATs for the ride (me in Red jacket at right)

Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-img20170709wa0003.jpg

The route was almost all tarmac winding through Delhi's south, west towards Gurgaon and then onto a KMP expressway (connecting NH8 (delhi-Jaipur) to NH19 towards (Delhi-Agra)). Riding sophisticated bikes through Delhiís well laid out wide roads during off peak hours provides for an unmatched pleasure. Nothing beats it for me as the smooth ride experience is magnified with sprinkles of nostalgia.

Once the riders were out of the Delhi city, the wide open roads there on connecting till Airport exit & beyond is rider's paradise. The bassy thumps from accelerating high torque engines scuffling for the longest sound wavelength with screaming exhausts of the high performance machines like Hayabusas, Daytonas, ZXs makes for an unmatched aural pleasure and an extravagant rider experience (this is what makes me jump out of the bed for the ride when part of the brain is trying to find excuses)

While the Bonnies rode almost silently with melodious thumping once in a while, triples/Daytonas with SC exhaust got me super thrilled and an extra twist of the wrist was but natural. Hearing the Daytona with SC exhaust sound approach from behind & then zip past is an aural pleasure, something I look forward to every time thereís a ride. The Daytonas are like the Messi/Ronaldos who will super charge the rest of the team with their short but explosive bursts of performance.

The 100km expressway with traffic density in the range of 1-5 vehicles per km is the course for all kind of steeds where the Stormes/Bonnies cruise at the chosen speed and the Triples/Daytonas could whip the hell out of their horses to the limit. The village children line up or sit on the fence at various spots waving at you making you feel like race rider of sorts for a while.

The long, wide, lonely, open KMP expressway

Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-img20170709wa0005.jpg

Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-img20170709wa0006.jpg

Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-img20170709wa0007.jpg

The speed guns of traffic cops are always there and so are the bikes with all their wild horses unleashed, but I wonder why have they never netted me in or other super bikes? Perhaps for safety as the usual procedure is that the lowest ranking cop is supposed to show up in front of vehicle from nowhere, a car would stop but the bikes, possibly? Or is it that thereís no speed limit mentioned for bikes on this expressway?

The breakfast and the chatter over it poured some energy into us to start the return. (me at extreme right with my kid)

Going the Bonnie way, advice? EDIT: Sultana - My Bonneville T100-img20170709wa0008.jpg

The camaraderie within the group was nice and my son was super impressed with the whole group ride thingy so much so that he had stories to tell & rides to imagine all through the rest of the day.

Until next, cheers!

Few more pics

Name:  20170709_053656.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  20170709_075149.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  205.9 KB

Name:  20170709_075633.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  211.3 KB
wangdu is offline   Reply With Quote