Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 13th April 2017, 17:57   #46

Default Re: BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2

Do any of the members here know what the differences are between the various trim levels being offered. Eg the R1200GS is offered in Standard, Dynamic+ and Pro.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th April 2017 at 21:13. Reason: inmates > members.
jmjmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 20:40   #47
BHPian

The BMW prices are indeed real world prices for India (in relative terms). Ofcourse, parts & accessories will always be uber-expensive like every other part of the globe. Just that I am presuming they will stock many more parts than what the earlier car dealerships were stocking. Would be very interesting to see the service rates due to the BMW Service points system.

As an example when I had to replace a small oil input shaft seal that costs about US$ 30 (actually it was a recall item on my 2005 model), basically the bike has to be split into 2 halfs. The front goes separate and the back goes separate (thats how even the clutch replacement has to be done), the labor quoted by Navnit was about Rs 30,000. Anyways, I bought the part and had it done by a good superbike mech in Bangalore for less than 1/3 that amount although my heart was in the mouth seeing my bike split into 2 with so many wires & pipes dangling and was wondering he may have many extra nuts & bolts remaining after the job is done . But he did a fantastic job

Btw, later came to know from BMW Middle-East that your local BMW dealer anywhere across the globe is supposed to do any factory recalls on your bike depending on the VIN number irrespective of where the bike was bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
Do any of the inmates here know what the differences are between the various trim levels being offered. Eg the R1200GS is offered in Standard, Dynamic+ and Pro.
Here it is from OD Mag. Btw, ABS is standard on all BMW models. The higher models have additional cornering ABS etc

http://overdrive.in/news/bmw-motorra...ces-explained/

Last edited by Haroon : 13th April 2017 at 20:43.
Haroon is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 08:23   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
Do any of the members here know what the differences are between the various trim levels being offered. Eg the R1200GS is offered in Standard, Dynamic+ and Pro.
BMW R 1200 GS

It comes in three models. The basic model is called the Standard and this is priced at Rs 15.90 lakh, ex-Delhi. Above this is the Rs 19 lakh Dynamic+ which adds LED headlights, electronic suspension adjustment, riding modes, cornering ABS (ABS Pro in BMW speak), quickshifter, cruise control and luggage. The top model is the Rs 19.50 lakh Pro, which further adds tyre-pressure control, heated grips, a knuckle guard and a chrome exhaust. You can further order spoked wheels, off-road tyres, sport suspension, suspension-lowering kits and more from the accessory catalogue.

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

The Standard is priced at Rs 17.50 lakh. An additional Rs 3.4 lakh brings the Dynamic+ which adds LED headlights, electronic suspension adjustment, adjustable riding modes, quickshifter, cruise control and the metal cage for the hard panniers. Another Rs 50,000 or Rs 21.40 lakh (ex-Delhi) adds heated grips and tyre-pressure control.

BMW S 1000 RR

The motorcycle comes as the Rs 18.90 lakh Standard (ex-Delhi) while the Pro trim is priced at Rs 21.40 lakh, Rs 2.5 lakh higher. The base model is already well equipped, but the Pro adds an autoblipper, heated grips, adjustable riding modes and cornering ABS. The Pro model also gets DDC, BMW’s semi-active suspension system.

BMW S 1000 XR

The S 1000 XR is available in Standard and Pro trim levels with the prices set at Rs 18.50 and Rs 21.50 lakh respectively. The Standard trim gets all the basics right including the slipper clutch, stability control and ABS. The Pro model’s additional Rs 3 lakh adds the BMW autoblipper, adjustable riding modes, cruise control, semi-active electronically controlled suspension, heated grips, main stand, luggage and a low seat.

Source: Overdrive
Nicky is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 10:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

That 1200 GS with the cast wheels in the Dynamic+ guise seems best value in the overall scheme of things across the whole GS range. Its got everything you'll need for India (heated grips - really?).

There is no way 99% of the population who buys the GS in India will EVER take this behemoth seriously offroad. Cast wheels are good with the tubeless tyres.

I'm not sure if the spoke wheels are tubeless too. Maybe Haroon can confirm.

So the BMW service point system is confirmed then. Will this push more people towards DIY as is the norm in the western world?
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 14:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
There is no way 99% of the population who buys the GS in India will EVER take this behemoth seriously offroad. Cast wheels are good with the tubeless tyres.

I'm not sure if the spoke wheels are tubeless too. Maybe Haroon can confirm.

So the BMW service point system is confirmed then. Will this push more people towards DIY as is the norm in the western world?
Yeah. The GS is indeed a very heavy dirt bike. Even worldwide most owners hardly take it off road as a bad drop will blow a huge hole on your wallet! But its still a supremely wonderful touring machine. However, on newer models the electronics are what are complicated and sometimes go haywire. Personally, if buying new I would prefer the basic version without the electronic suspension, Tire pressure monitor (most cases when the small cell runs out of power after 3-5 yrs, you may need to change the whole sensor unit..$$$ but can try to pry out the cell and try a DIY cell replacement which may/may not work) and other gizmos. Similarly the LED headlight is only warranted for 6 months if I am not wrong and some cases of failures were reported. On my GS changing the headlight bulb is a 5 minute job. Since post-warranty repairs can work out very expensive I would personally prefer less electronics to play with. Ofcourse, if you have the gandhis, BMW gives you every bell & whistle thats functional on the bike. For example the adaptive headlight on the 1600GTL, I actually saw it work when I had to ride thru the wooded New England roads in pitch darkness for about 3 hours and with curves and twists, it was lighting up to the left or right as I was tilting into the curve.

The 1200GS comes with trick spoke wheels that have Tubleless tires, but the F800, G650 etc and also one version of the RNineT comes with conventional spokes that need tube type tires.

DIY route is getting to be increasingly tough on BMW bikes as you will need the GS911 diagnostic tool (its made in South Africa and has bluetooth connectivity options etc) to reset service reminders, check fault codes etc. Although it says GS its suitable for all BMW bikes. A good mechanic can still diagnose problems the old fashioned way, the GS911 just helps you identify it much faster esp with so much of sensors and electronics on the newer bikes. I dont know what options are available on the latest model of this tool, but earlier you could buy one that is specific for 1 bike, 10 bikes or unlimited, ofcourse the last one being the costliest.

Petrol is another issue on BMW bikes. They need 95 or higher only, but the bikes sold in India will be calibrated by the dealer to take in anything from 87 or 89 octane up, so you can fill in any fuel but there will be a minimal performance drop. When I used the Super 100 in Europe, it felt there was no engine between my legs...so very smooth

Last edited by Haroon : 14th April 2017 at 14:35.
Haroon is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 14:42   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
DIY route is getting to be increasingly tough on BMW bikes as you will need the GS911 diagnostic tool (its made in South Africa and has bluetooth connectivity options etc) to reset service reminders, check fault codes etc. Although it says GS its suitable for all BMW bikes. A good mechanic can still diagnose problems the old fashioned way, the GS911 just helps you identify it much faster esp with so much of sensors and electronics on the newer bikes. I dont know what options are available on the latest model of this tool, but earlier you could buy one that is specific for 1 bike, 10 bikes or unlimited, ofcourse the last one being the costliest.
I was expecting this feedback from you. In simple terms, there is no escaping the service costs which is unknown but, going by your simple examples of fitting a small component (30K for labor), it seems like buying into this brand in India is still a far off dream

Buying is easy but, you need to have really deep pockets to maintain it for regular services and component replacements

I won't be surprised if each service will set you back by 20K-25K
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 16:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

They have mentioned prices Ex-Delhi but they won't have a dealer here in North. Any pointers where to look in case someone wants in Delhi?
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 18:25   #53
BHPian

Been to BMW Motarrad event yesterday in Bangalore... It was indeed a nice launch and most Harley guys were around since this is owned by the same chap who owns Tusker Harley.
They seem to be targeting Adventure riders with fabulously priced GS and GSA models. But was extremely excited to see S1000xr ( hopefully my next upgrade from versys 1000) which was not available. It is one capable tourer (with inline 4 like versys 1000) and with 160bhp on tap can be a Multistrada killer. Sports bike in tourer clothes.

Last edited by raj.barcode : 14th April 2017 at 18:27.
raj.barcode is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 18:33   #54
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful Video Raj! BMW video promotions are also a class apart
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 21:54   #55
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a perfect example of "Ride is like you stole it". Excellent video!
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 22:46   #56
BHPian

Awaiting the F800GS lineup, hopefully sometime in the near future. Perhaps BMW is sorting out the supposed new F900GS? That'd be awesome!
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/2018-bmw-f...potted-1681438
grplr02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 00:11   #57
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The BMW Motorrad Bavaria Motors Pune showroom launch event happened today.

A dozen bikes were on display and it was a very well-organised event - good music, lots of motorcycle talks, great food, great people around !

Few bhpians who were present during the launch event - coolrain, surjaonwheels, Happysmiles, Skoda_RS, Ricci, vaibhav amlekar, moralfibre and niks_devil666.

Apart from the modern-day & high-tech Motorrad motorcycles, an immaculate BMW R100 RS proudly shared space in the sprawling Motorrad store in Pune.

Apologies for the low-res pics.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0225.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0248.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0252.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0254.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0265.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0271.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0273.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0276.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0283.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0297.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0307.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0309.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0316.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0319.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0322.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0327.jpg  

BMW Motorrad launch. EDIT: Price list on page 2-img_0337.jpg  

Last edited by //M : 15th April 2017 at 00:13.
//M is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 20:15   #58
BHPian

I am surprised not too many have talked up the RNineT. To me, that is an uber cool bike, that is stylish, retro, and practical at the same time.

It's a rage is both Europe and US right now. Of course, like most good things - it's pricey!
Abhi_Automobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 22:38   #59

Spoke to someone at BMW Motorrad today and have some rather disappointing news to report for everyone looking forward to the 800gs like me. I was basically​ told that they are focussing on the bigger machines and to not keep my hopes too high for the CKD 800GS anytime in the near perceivable future. I prodded, but no positive replies.

So, I guess we are left with only the bigger bikes from the BMW Stables for now. Rather sad decision if you ask me and I am hoping the sales executive was poorly informed and was only trying to push his 1200's. But I can't for the life of me figure why they wouldn't focus on the 650-800cc market considering that's where they should expect maximum sales following the 310R and GS.

Someone please contradict what I am saying and tell me (and that sales executive) we are wrong. Please.
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 11:17   #60
BHPian

Fellow bhp-ian Julyone_modi and I visited the BMW Mumbai showroom on Saturday morning. I was eager to check out the S1000R and in particular, the R1200RS. There was one other potential customer who had come in before us who looked liked he had ridden in on a Versys. After being greeted by the receptionist who arranged for cold water, we waited for the sales person to talk to us. For half an hour the sales person shuttled between his phone and the other potential customer but he never gave us a "Hello, I'll be with you shortly" or even bother with any sort of basic acknowledgement.

Finally, after looking at the bikes ourselves and realizing that we had just wasted 30 minutes, we walked out of the showroom. Even then not one person from the showroom came up to us and asked us if we got what we wanted or if anyone could help us. Jeez, is basic customer service too much to ask for, BMW?
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote