Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 20th July 2017, 18:20   #1
BHPian

Default Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled launched at Rs. 9.32 lakh

Ducati has launched the Scrambler Desert Sled in India. It's a more off-road oriented version of the Scrambler and prices start at Rs. 9.32 lakh (ex-showroom India) for the Red Dusk colour and Rs. 9.45 lakh (ex-showroom India) for the White Mirage colour.

The new Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled comes with modifications to the chassis and suspension for off-road use. The most obvious changes include 46 mm fully adjustable upside-down forks, 200 mm suspension travel at the front and rear (50 mm more than the regular Scrambler), special foot pegs with removable rubber pads, headlamp mesh guard, special mud guards, off-road tyres and engine skid plate.

The Scrambler Desert Sled is powered by an air and oil-cooled, Euro 4, 803 cc L-twin cylinder engine which delivers 75 BHP @ 8,250 rpm and 68 Nm of torque @ 5,750 rpm. Ducati claims, the revised engine calibration and new throttle control result in smoother low-end power delivery.

The bike comes fitted with 19-inch gold painted wheels in the front and 17-inch at the rear. The spoked wheels are shod with Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tyres designed for off-road and street use. Also, the riding position has been tweaked, courtesy of the raised seat height of 860 mm compared to 790 mm on the standard Scrambler. That said, Ducati is offering a 20 mm lower seat as an option.

The braking setup on the bike comprises of 330 mm Brembo front disc with 4-piston monobloc calipers and 245 mm disc at the rear. The ABS system equipped with a pressure sensor is sourced from Bosch.

Meanwhile, Ducati has re-launched the Scrambler Icon and Scrambler Classic with BS4 engines, after the two models were discontinued back in April 2017. The Scrambler Icon is priced at Rs. 7.23 lakh while the Scrambler Classic costs Rs. 8.48 lakh (ex-showroom India).
Attached Thumbnails
Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled launched at Rs. 9.32 lakh-5003-ducati-scrambler-desert-sled.jpg  

Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled launched at Rs. 9.32 lakh-5102-ducati-scrambler-desert-sled.jpg  

Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled launched at Rs. 9.32 lakh-4904-ducati-scrambler-desert-sled.jpg  

Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled launched at Rs. 9.32 lakh-4508-ducati-scrambler-desert-sled.jpg  

TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 21:56   #2

Default Re: Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled launched at Rs. 9.32 lakh

It sure doesn't look like 9 lakhs.
Rathore_13 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 22:57   #3
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathore_13 View Post
It sure doesn't look like 9 lakhs.
Definitely agree. Ducati seem to be riding on their brand, but this is India
NIP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 10:14   #4
BHPian

I am not a big fan of the naked/street bikes, but this one somehow looks appealing to me! 9 lakhs is sure a big ask for a 803cc with 75hp.
bullet-tooth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 10:19   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet-tooth View Post
I am not a big fan of the naked/street bikes, but this one somehow looks appealing to me! 9 lakhs is sure a big ask for a 803cc with 75hp.
The bigger issue with the Scrambler is the heat it produces. Among all the bikes I've ridden, Scrambler was the one which made me realize the real pain these bikes can give, when stuck in stop and go traffic.

Thighs were paining due to all that heat, and I was dying to escape the traffic and get a move on!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 10:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Something an occassional offroad enthusiast might consider but for most, the Ninja 1000 makes everything else look ridiculously priced. Thankfully for the likes of ducati, only 20 N1000 are on sale.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 12:01   #7

Desert sled costs 2+ lakhs over Icon just for some added off-road features (increased front fork height & travel, bigger front tyre, on/off-road tyres, increased seat height etc.). I don't think this premium is acceptable considering that this doesn't have proper off-road capability.

Yes, this can be an occasional off-roader but is it worth the premium? Also, there are better options if one needs a proper off-road bike. I think Icon and Classic will be the most preferred options for the buyers considering the positioning of Desert Sled and the cost.
haneeshN is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 20:05   #8
BHPian

From what I've read in various reviews, and seen in person (in dealership abroad, haven't had the chance to ride it yet), the Ducati Scrambler Desert Sed is a lot more than a regular Ducati Scrambler (Icon, Classic, 62 ...) with added suspension. Most reviews describe it as only having the tank and engine the same as the rest of the Scrambler range, rest everything is changed to make the bike bigger, taller, beefier and better equipped for some genuine off road riding capabilities. Granted this is NOT a fully fledged dirt bike or a dedicated dual sport ADV (ex: BMW GS series), but for a bike that can be ridden hard in off-road conditions, and do so with a dash of retro/classic-cool-vibes instead of looking like an extra from the latest Transformers movie set, I think it strikes the right notes for someone like me. Where I live there are tons of off-road options - one or two turns from the main highway and you're surrounded by mountain dirt roads everywhere. I prefer retro looks. I also prefer minimal gadgetry. This Desert Sled is something I'd genuinely consider over my Tiger 800 Xcx. I'll have to test ride it for a bit though, and then decide how much better the nearest Ducati dealership can support me vs. my Triumph dealer. At this level, for getting what I really want and really like, I'm not going to hold myself back for a few lakh Rs. here & there.

Now, if I was riding in mostly urban conditions, with only occasional off-road riding, then any of the other Ducati Scramblers might make better sense - less expensive, smaller, lighter, easier to handle in everyday urban conditions ... but in the narrow niche that I'm looking at, the Desert Sled seems to fill a nice niche for me. Let's see ...

Reviews have generally been pretty positive about it. I think Ducati has a good bike here - definitely NOT for everybody though. Basically in a sentence: Of the spate of recent and older modern "Scrambler" motorcycles out there right now - Triumph's older 865cc Scrambler and latest Street Scrambler, BMW Scrambler R9T, Ducati's own Scrambler line-up, Moto Guzzi, Yamaha etc., this Ducati Desert Sled is probably the most genuine and off-road-capable scrambler out there.

Cycle World magazine review: http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-ducat...st-ride-review

Motorcyclist Magazine review: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/mo...er-desert-sled

MCN review: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-r...bler-800/2017/

Bike Exif review: http://www.bikeexif.com/ducati-desert-sled-review

... and there are lots more ...

Also ... you CANNOT be buying a bike like this and then grumbling about it being not ideal in city rush hour traffic conditions. This machine is NOT designed for such conditions - plenty of other bikes much better suited, including all the other Ducati Scramblers! Also not a good idea to be nickling and diming all the pros and cons and leaning towards a streetbike saying it makes better financial sense - this bike is a bit of a niche product and it's not going to compare well against a proven street super bike in street conditions ... Just my two-bit point of view, please don't mind me voicing them. Thank you!

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th July 2017 at 11:25. Reason: Merging back to back posts
grplr02 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 21:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grplr02 View Post
Granted this is NOT a fully fledged dirt bike or a dedicated dual sport ADV (ex: BMW GS series), but for a bike that can be ridden hard in off-road conditions, and do so with a dash of retro/classic-cool-vibes instead of looking like an extra from the latest Transformers movie set, I think it strikes the right notes for someone like me.
Frankly looks a lot more manageable off road than all these dual sport monsters like the Africa Twin, GS etc, which have become so huge that the weight will always play your mind when thinking of going off road.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 09:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Frankly looks a lot more manageable off road than all these dual sport monsters like the Africa Twin, GS etc, which have become so huge that the weight will always play your mind when thinking of going off road.
Thats what the reviewers seem to be saying too. Its heavier than the other Ducati Scramblers, then again those are lighter than others in this retro/classic category. But the Desert Sled should be lighter & easier to manage than the Africa Twins, the GS1200s, which I find to be a bit of an overkill in most situations. Of course, the Desert Sled probably won't be as comfortable as the big ADV bikes for long distance multi-day touring, has smaller tank so lesser range, etc. Really cannot say more until after a proper test ride though.
grplr02 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote